facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 20, 2003, 02:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Attendance at the first test

Only a few hundred people watched the first day's action? What's wrong with these poeple - you would think they would want to see their team in action after 15 months of no test cricket. Plus the chance to see Bangladesh's no-hopers get crushed?

Old August 20, 2003, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

I think as a whole the Pakistani society is probably in its most disheveled, apathetic state since its inception. These people have been through so much corruption, religious brainwashing, dictatorships, terrorism, etc.
Old August 20, 2003, 03:28 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

haha...interesting analysis Arnab! I think the answer may be more to do with PCB's apathy with regards to ticket sales, advertising, and other aspects which could have considerable direct impact on the number of spectators. To get a better idea read the report in the Dawn titled "PCB's apathy" or something to that effect. I believe there is a post on that in this site.
Another reason, besides the social disorder that plagues Pakistan today, which so glaringly played havoc with the spectator attendence, is perhaps (much as it hurts me to say!) a perception that Bangladesh is not capable of playing excitig cricket. May be if we manage to put a good show in the first test, things might be different in the next match.
Old August 20, 2003, 07:19 PM
First Class Cricketer

I heard there were some interruption in printing & publishing tickets on time. A lot of spectators went back due to ticket unavailabilities.

I am sure there will be much more audi in the rest of this match.

Prohor
Old August 20, 2003, 08:42 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

They probably thought that if Imran Khan or Miandad and some of their cricket brass thinks Bangladesh should not have been given cricket status - then, what's the point of watching their team play against such a team ...

I sure hope we can bowl them out and put another 250+.
Old August 21, 2003, 12:54 AM
Cricket Legend

From the DS front page

WHERE HAVE THE FANS GONE?Bangladesh began their first innings at the imposing Karachi National Stadium in front of a virtually empty 34,000-capacity gallery.

Local cricket officials were quick to respond saying it was only because Bangladesh was playing and keeping in mind the Tigers' dismal track record that is why many Karachi cricket buffs stayed away from the ground.

However, once the South African arrive next month, the gallery will be filled to the brim commented an official.

At some stage during the morning session around five hundred spectators entered the venue to cheer the Pakistan team which was playing in a home series after 16 months.

Strangely, in a city that is home to thousands of expatriates, there was a solitary Bangladesh flag hoisted in front of the visiting team's dressing room.

Also it was noticeable there was nobody from the Bangladesh Consulate to cheer the national team.

1. To the local cricket officials: sounds like your problem, not ours

2. To the Bangladesh "expatriates": don't know who the reporter is calling expatriates. But are they ashamed/afraid to fly the Bangladeshi flag in Pakistan?

3. To the missing embassy staff: too embarrased or too busy to attend?

A BD-Pak series is thankfully never wanting for freakish sideshows...
Old August 21, 2003, 09:42 AM
Club Cricketer

Arnab:I think as a whole the Pakistani society is probably in its most disheveled, apathetic state since its inception. These people have been through so much corruption, religious brainwashing, dictatorships, terrorism, etc.

Arnab When are u people gonna stop brining this politics in sports??Just go back in history and tell me about any occassion when Stadiums were full in a test match.It has been like this for long time and then offcourse they are playing against minnows which makes it even less interesting for people. And then u mention corruption, religious brainwashing, dictatorships, terrorism...hmmmm.......now i know poeple won't like it but to answer that i only need one phrase "Look who is talking"........aren't u guys facing the same problems???isn't corruption even worse in Bangladesh??religious brainwashing...hmm.....if u were muslim u would know better about Bangladesh where it's happening on similar if not larger scale and terrorism is not much less either. Then u mention dictatorship.....so u reckong Bangladesh is a democratic country???what was wrong with previous governments??haven't they been cricticised again and again for corruption?????
Now just before u get upset let me tell you one thing, i do believe in friendship and unity but no one can stand this sort of rubbish agianst their country and i do look at my country first before blaming others.
Old August 21, 2003, 12:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Arnab you are an intelligent person and I usually like reading your posts cause they are relevant and insightful. However, I can't say that for your last post. It was not the best I have seen from you. Instead of trying to look for, and put forth reasons that DIRECTLY affected the attendence on the first day of a test match you went and blamed it on the state of the Pakistani society! It almost looked like you were itching to get it out of your system! I don't know if you intended it that way, but that was actually quite provocative, offensive and irrelevant.
Old August 21, 2003, 12:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Oh Yeah? I was itching to get it out of my system, eh? What do you think of the following:

I also think as a whole the Bangladeshi society is probably the most apathetic, worthless bunch of people in the whole of subcontinent. Our people have been through so much corruption, religious brainwashing, dictatorships, terrorism, etc. that it's inconceivable. Out of the three major nations of the subcontinent, we have not pioneered in ANYTHING. Not in education, science, business, etc. although we Bangladeshis all have the same culture and language unlike our Pakistani and Indian friends who have a lot of cultural barriers to overcome. We bicker about our nation's past leaders, we are amnesiac about our struggle of independence, we don't have a sense of pride. We are not serious about our goals, we don't even a decent well-equipped Gym for our players yet we expect our players to compete well at the international level. Yes, I can rant on and on.

Are you offended enough?

Or do you want me to give another special rant on India?
Old August 21, 2003, 02:27 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

hehe! you have a lot of rage inside of you! May be you should talk to someone about it..just kidding dude!..but seriously! you are definitely entitled to your opinion. It still is irrelevant you know! I mean whats that got anything to do with the topic?!?!?

And I am not offended coz you are a Bangladeshi so you have every right to criticise your country, since you probably know it and its people better than any other country. I would have been offended however (wouldn't you too?!) if some foreigner had said the exact same thing and that too in response to the shortage of spectators in a cricket match!

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by pompous]
Old August 21, 2003, 03:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Well my first post was supposed to be relevant to the topic. I have to agree I don't know too much about Pakistani society but I feel I am entitled to throw in some speculations.

Why didn't more Pakistani people come to the match? Several reasons. One of them is that the tickets were not printed in due time. In other words, LAZINESS of the system. It's just a small manifestation of something greater. It's no wonder Pakistan has been one of the top three corrupted countries in the world for as long as I can remember.

Pakistanis haven't seen a test match in several months. So, it's all the more reasonable for them to come in hordes to watch a match. But no. I am guessing it's the overall apathy about the whole system. I mean take a look at the history of the Pak cricket board and team selection - it's a frigging three ring circus. No wonder their people are so apathetic.

Lemme give you something more to chew on:

Ask any person from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, they are the most religious, honest people in the world. Then ask them why these three countries routinely come up on the top ten list of the most corrupted countries in the world. Bunch of ****in' hypocrites! You can say, well, not everyone is corrupted, it's just a few bad apples. I say that's bullshit.

"Onnai je korey ar onnai je shohe, Tobo ghrina Tarey jeno trinoshomo dohe!"

-----------

I finished eating 8 chicken wings while writing this... pretty good.

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by Arnab]
Old August 21, 2003, 08:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Easy Arnab!

You might pop a blood vessel if you start thinking about all the things that are wrong with the societies of the sub-continent.

Although what Arnab mentioned about poor organization might be have played a major role in the low turnouts at the games, I believe part of the reason might also be because the people of Karachi were hasty enough to write off the BD team. I think only the BD team is to blame for that. Let's not forget that just before the AUS tour the BCB had trouble finding sponsors for the BD team. Before that the organizers in Bangladesh incurred substantial losses because of the poor turnout during SA series. I can understand why the promoters in Karachi were apathetic or 'lazy' in marketing this series. But I am confident the BD team will put up a fight to draw decent crowd numbers in the fourth and hopefully the fifth day.

[Edited on 22-8-2003 by Ockey]
Old August 21, 2003, 08:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Ockey bhai, how do you think the Australian authorities manage to lure in so many people at Darwin?

People are lazy sheep. Handle them poorly, they won't give a **** about your event. Market your goals carefully, people will come in flocks. Australians know that. Pakistanis/we don't.
Old August 21, 2003, 11:50 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

When it comesto the remarks about BD people, Arnab said what I want to say most of the times. Specially loved the bit about us being all honest and religious .. that was a clincher.
Old August 22, 2003, 12:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Wasim, Pompous and Arnab:

You guys make it worthwhile to visit this site. Each of you make valid points. Social commentary is not my thing but, I don't mind reading your lively exchanges and comments. regards.
Old August 22, 2003, 12:54 AM
ODI Cricketer

Wasim, Pompous and Arnab:

You guys make it worthwhile to visit this site. Each of you make valid points. Social commentary is not my thing but, I don't mind reading your lively exchanges and comments. regards.