facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 10, 2006, 01:13 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default BSF releases morter shells and shoots in BD village near Jokiganj border

BSF has launched heavy morter shells and around 6000 round bullets in bangladeshi village in Jokiganj today. Could not find any links to the news yet.. because probably not uploaded yet.. but the incident is very shocking and perhaps the biggest attack on BD ground by BSF in long time.

This is utterly heartbreaking and it appears that the Indian government is changing their policy regarding their borders with BD. A very pathetic event indeed!

Old August 10, 2006, 01:24 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

FE-BD report says it was an unprovoked attack by BSF-

http://www.financialexpress-bd.com/i...=33961&spcl=no

While Indian media says it was BDR who launched unprovoked attack, which killed Indian citizens-

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus...0608102068.htm

Some other news sources-

Last edited by Nasif; August 11, 2006 at 01:51 PM..
Old August 10, 2006, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Some days ago in the isreil thread I was mentioning some thing about India .. and one Indian guy charged me saying when did India showed any offense against bd. My response was to him to read bd paper for 15 days you will see your indian offense and I am sure its not been 15 days after that HERE WE GO again...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I terrorise, and yell loudly "terrorists" to those who I am terrorising. This is the current world international policy for the haves.

Indian Govt is no different.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 10, 2006 at 01:47 PM..
Old August 10, 2006, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

as my dad was in bdr for a long, he told me this that when bsf kills bd people , abt 60% times because bd people cross the border.
Old August 10, 2006, 02:16 PM
Club Cricketer

Elections must be near...
Old August 10, 2006, 02:17 PM

just watched the NTV report.... BDR Lt.Col. says that "unara" started firing. Elakabashi's say BDR has not responded. India claims 260+ acre of land as theirs, and there was a flag meeting scheduled between BSF and BDR on Aug 13 to discuss this dispute, but BSF has started firing before this. They've fired mortar rounds (light artillery) and has splayed the village with more than 20000 rounds of bullets. 6 villagers incl 2 BDR jawans wounded. Elakabashis have been advised to stay away from the border area, esp. keeping in mind India's independence day coming up and their stepped up "security".
Old August 10, 2006, 02:32 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
as my dad was in bdr for a long, he told me this that when bsf kills bd people , abt 60% times because bd people cross the border.
Crossing border is not a crime to get a bullet on the chest. They can arrest them and prosecute them.

It never justifies BSF's brutal act.
Old August 10, 2006, 02:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Some days ago in the isreil thread I was mentioning some thing about India .. and one Indian guy charged me saying when did India showed any offense against bd. My response was to him to read bd paper for 15 days you will see your indian offense and I am sure its not been 15 days after that HERE WE GO again...
Guess you are refreeing to me ...

as I see it , it is an unnecessary agression on BD's part ..(from Indian media)

as you see it ..it is an unnecessary agression on India's part (from BD media)..

I cannot see how it can be scaled to Isreal's agression .

These are border skirmishes , that are bound to happen .Can you quantify (offical) how much of BD's land has been encroched by India.If India had such intentions ,I am sure India could have done so in '71 .Why wait till now !!
Old August 10, 2006, 02:44 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Crossing border is not a crime to get a bullet on the chest. They can arrest them and prosecute them.

It never justifies BSF's brutal act.
Exactly, there are international laws to detain, identify, prosecute and/or extradite people who cross border "illegally". Most of these people are harmless, unarmed villagers who in many cases cross border to recover their livestock or mistakenly cross unmakred sections of the border. I heard there are even homes on the borderline where people cook in Bangladesh and take a dump in India. Isn't it so obvious why we never see BSF foiling any terrorist groups or smugglers from BD?
Old August 10, 2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Can you quantify (offical) how much of BD's land has been encroched by India.If India had such intentions ,I am sure India could have done so in '71 .Why wait till now !!
This has been documented before. India has approximately 3600 acres of Bangladeshi land occupied, and Bangladesh has 3200 acres. Most are like political islands, each ones territory well within the others from the time of Partition of Bengal (1905 and 1947... then a 3rd wave in 1971).

Most of the times events flare up when India (and/or Bangladesh) construct buildings and infrastructure in such disputed territory and no-man's land, against India-Bangladeshi treaties. This cycle of violence will continue for as long as both parties dilly-dally so much about resolving these issues.
Old August 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Guess you are refreeing to me ...

as I see it , it is an unnecessary agression on BD's part ..(from Indian media)

as you see it ..it is an unnecessary agression on India's part (from BD media)..

I cannot see how it can be scaled to Isreal's agression .

These are border skirmishes , that are bound to happen .Can you quantify (offical) how much of BD's land has been encroched by India.If India had such intentions ,I am sure India could have done so in '71 .Why wait till now !!
Why would Bangladeshi forces show "unnecessary aggression" against a country that is 20 times bigger and a military force that is far more potent?? While India like Israel due to its stronger military can basically do anything they want in the bordering area.

I would have understood the situation if the border conflict was with equal strength country like Burma. It would have been more plausible that BDR was being aggressive. But against a "mighty" BSF force that outnumbers BDR almost 10:1 I doubt if they will take unilateral action unless BSF has been involved in something..
Old August 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

I can agree that Bangladeshis are causing illegal immigration issues for India, but I cannot agree that these crossfires are due to illegal immigration. I really want to know why is there shooting at our borders. Also I think if BSF starts shooting, BDR should not fire back so as to show that there is no shooting at all from our end, because I don't see the purpose of firing back at BSF, as much as I hate to see BSF firing into our villages.
Old August 10, 2006, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
I can agree that Bangladeshis are causing illegal immigration issues for India, but I cannot agree that these crossfires are due to illegal immigration. I really want to know why is there shooting at our borders. Also I think if BSF starts shooting, BDR should not fire back so as to show that there is no shooting at all from our end, because I don't see the purpose of firing back at BSF, as much as I hate to see BSF firing into our villages.
if an enemy fires at u , u hav to fire bak. if theres very few shots fired then no point in firing bak but as mentioned if bsf fired those shells and that much bullets bdr shld fire bak.
Old August 10, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
Indian media is reporting that 5 BDR personal has been killed in BSF shelling. How can BDR just sit and do nothing in this situation? Bangladesh may not be militarily strong as India but we are no Nepal or Bhutan either. Our defense forces should take all necessary action to protect our sovereignty.

As for illegal immigration, I highly doubt that millions of Bangladeshis are moving to poor NE states like Assam.(per capita GDP of Assam is much lower than Bangladesh, while rest of India specially the South is higher than ours).

Here are couple of Indian reports debunking the myth for millions of illegal Bangladeshis in India:

Quote:
Assam has only 26,490 foreigners : Centre
From Our Staff Correspondent

NEW DELHI, July 6 – It’s official. The highest number of foreigners is staying in Assam but hold your breath its only 26,490 of them. That’s the official figure of number of foreigners living in Assam. Gone is the estimate that most of 1.20 crore illegal migrants were living in Assam. That was NDA’s estimate. According to the Minister of State for Home, Sriprakash Jaiswal there are about 46,818 foreigners reportedly living illegally in India as on December 2002. The highest number of foreigners staying illegally is in Assam followed by 11,122 in West Bengal and 2,405 living in Rajasthan. Section 3(2) © of the Foreigners Act 1946 empowers the Government of India to detect and deport foreign nationals staying in India unauthorisedly. This power has been delegated under Section 12 of the Act to the State Governments for the purpose of execution, he informed.

Meanwhile, in the Lok Sabha, Union Home Minister, Shivraj Patil admitted that pace of fencing along the Indo-Bangladesh border was slower than pace of fencing work in Indo-Pakistan border. The Indo-Bangla border is longer than Indo-Pakistan and its terrain is difficult hampering fencing work. He was responding to Dr Arun Kumar Sarma during Question Hour today. Dr Sarma wanted to know whether the fencing work along the Indo-Bangladesh border was given less priority than Indo-Pakistan border fencing. He mentioned that Indo-Bangladesh border was prone to illegal infiltration, which threatens to change the demographic profile of the State.

During a Question Hour discussion, Members charged that Border Area Development funds earmarked for Assam and Arunachal Pradesh was being diverted to Jammu and Kashmir.

http://www.assamtribune.com/jul0704/at04.html
Quote:
REPORT-2

Minister eats his figures
ALOKE TIKKU

New Delhi, July 23: The Union home ministry has rubbished its own statistics of illegal Bangladeshi immigrants in Assam and Bengal.

Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi had earlier protested to Manmohan Singh about the home ministry presenting inflated figures of Bangladeshi immigrants in his state. This had prompted the Prime Minister to indicate he would have the ministry take a relook at the statistics.

Today, minister of state for home Sriprakash Jaiswal said in a statement tabled in the Rajya Sabha that his ministry’s statistics for Assam and Bengal were unreliable and based on hearsay.

He was referring to figures he had tabled in the upper House that said Assam was home to an estimated 50 lakh illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and Bengal another 57 lakh. The figures were based on estimates made by the Group of Ministers on security headed by former deputy Prime Minister L.K. Advani.

Jaiswal’s “correction” of his reply to Parliament last week, however, did not question the credibility of statistics relating to other states.

Like Delhi, for instance, which has an estimated 3.75 lakh illegal Bangladeshi immigrants; Nagaland 59,500; Tripura 3.25 lakh, Meghalaya and Orissa 30,000 each, Bihar 4.79 lakh, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands 3,000.

Jaiswal’s reply had put the number of Bangladeshi immigrants in India in December 2001 at 1.2 crore.

The minister of state today suggested he had given the figures without noticing a clarificatory note from the field organisation (intelligence agencies).

He set out to trash his ministry’s figures, claiming that this “clarificatory note” made it clear that the reported figures “were not based on any comprehensive or sample study but were based on hearsay and that too from interested parties”.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/104072...ry_3536552.asp

Last edited by imtiaz82; August 10, 2006 at 07:09 PM..
Old August 10, 2006, 06:31 PM
Cricket Legend

what are the possible aftermath if BDR do not fire back? will it be worse than if BDR firesback?
Old August 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

bharat you got the answers already why don't you try to counter point them....
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 10, 2006, 11:55 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Thanks for the articles Imtiaz, I hope Bharat got his answer.
Old August 11, 2006, 03:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i think we should hv fired back.. remember what happened last time when indian bsf invaded well into our country... guess [edit]they wont learn their lessons.. u need to [edit]do it again...

i think its time to take israel's stance...for every Bangladeshi life, we should go and kill 20 indians... who the **** they think they are??

and no matter how small we r, mind u guys..india doesnt even dare to fight with us... it wud create a bigger problem they wudnt be able to live with...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 11, 2006, 06:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
i think we should hv fired back.. remember what happened last time when indian bsf invaded well into our country... guess the dogs wont learn their lessons.. u need to whip thier back pretty bad again...

i think its time to take israel's stance...for every Bangladeshi life, we should go and kill 20 indians... who the **** they think they are??

and no matter how small we r, mind u guys..india doesnt even dare to fight with us... it wud create a bigger problem they wudnt be able to live with...
Dont be so zingoist. But BSF need to teach another lesson like last time. They forgot the lesson BDR taught them last time.
Old August 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Dont be so zingoist. But BSF need to teach another lesson like last time. They forgot the lesson BDR taught them last time.
lolz mate... i was expecting such a reaction from some members...
but arent u also talking in the same line as mine???
teaching them a lesson??

take it easy mate..we dont hv to fight among ourselves over india...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 11, 2006, 08:42 AM
Cricket Legend

I still don't have the answer to why we should fire back, as if BDR firing back will save lives. Because firing from both sides just escalates the tense situation rather than controlling it. Why is it that some of you are so excited about shooting and killing.
Old August 11, 2006, 11:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

For every single atricle that speaks about Illegal immigration I could produce hundreds of articles speaking about the problem India faces with illegal immigration.I have seen this problem first hand , and no I am not talking about Assam or WB or Mumbai but Hyderabad (in South India).Ilmmigration is a huge problem facing India as we are pressed for resources overselves.Yes , probably India should be more softer on the perpetrators but what can She do! .BD is against the Border fence that can solve the probelm
As about the disputed territories .These territories are of dispute at the time of partition and are not encroached lands by either countries .India to its credit inspite of its size and military did not use force to claim these lands.If India were a war mongerer it could have used these skirmishes to push into BD's territory .As in Isreal's case bully's and warmongerers need not have a reason to throw there weight around.

I am not claiming India is right and BD is wrong .But I am asking people in here to look at the grey areas.
Old August 11, 2006, 12:14 PM
Club Cricketer

----one word----Election Year----
Old August 11, 2006, 12:21 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
----one word----Election Year----
Well said