facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Experts meet to decide Pluto fate

Astronomers are gathering in the Czech capital, Prague, hoping to define exactly what counts as a planet. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) hopes to settle the question of Pluto, which was first spotted in 1930.
Experts are divided over whether Pluto - further away and considerably smaller than the eight other planets in our Solar System - deserves the title.
The stakes were raised when a bigger planet-type body, known as 2003 UB313, was discovered by a US astronomer.

more from BBC >>

Old August 14, 2006, 04:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

pluto is my favourite. but i think they will change its status to sumthing else from a planet.
Old August 14, 2006, 05:00 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Why don't they send all the Israelis to Pluto!
Old August 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
hahhahha...good idea..they will have fun out there!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 14, 2006, 10:57 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

they want to take Pluto out of the Planet Status..
some ppl want to take BD out of the test status..
find any similarities??
guess we dont hv any Plutonians to raise voice over the issue..

i smell conspiracy... must a work of the evil zionist and Bush... may be Pluto is a safe haven for Al-Qaeda terrorist network. i demand a full thorough investigation and a report on this very important subject.

Something sooo smaller and a soo far away dont deserve to be in the same ranks as ours....

Damn u Pluto for deceiving us for over 70 years now.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 15, 2006, 07:55 AM
Club Cricketer

Pluto is one of my favorite Planet too!
Old August 15, 2006, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Because there isnt Arabs in pluto to start terrorising with.

Venus is a better option i reckon
Old August 15, 2006, 01:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Please include the arabs with them as well...
Old August 18, 2006, 06:35 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Astronomers sharply divided on new planet definition

By Robert Roy Britt, SPACE.com
A 12-person committee representing the world's largest group of planetary scientists on Thursday threw its support behind a new planet-defintion proposal that would increase the tally of planets in our solar system to 12.
More dissent emerged, too, from several prominent planet experts.
The definition, proposed yesterday at a meeting of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) in Prague, preserves Pluto's planet status and essentially classifies as planets all round objects that orbit the Sun and do not orbit another planet. The tally of planets is expected to eventually soar into the hundreds if the resolution is passed by a vote next week.
The Division for Planetary Sciences (DPS), a group within the American Astronomical Society, has the opposite view. The 12-member DPS Committee, elected by the membership, "strongly supports the IAU resolution," according to a statement released Thursday.
"The new definition is clear and compact, it is firmly based on the physical properties of celestial objects themselves, and it is applicable to planets found around other stars. It opens the possibility for many new Pluto-like planets to be discovered in our solar system," the DPS statement reads.
An informal SPACE.com survey of astronomers who study planets in and out of our solar system found six in favor of the resolution and seven against. A separate private straw poll being conducted by the National Academies of Sciences has so far yielded an overwhelming "No" response, a source told SPACE.com.
'Terrible definition'
Clearly no consensus has emerged, however.
"I think it's a terrible definition," said David Charbonneau, a researcher at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics who searches for and studies planets around other stars. Charbonneau joins two other astronomers close to the issue who sharply criticized the plan].
Charbonneau said the definition was motivated by a desire to determine whether Pluto and another object, 2003 UB313, are planets. But the IAU now says there are a dozen other objects that might be planets but need further study.
"It is ironic that we are left with more, not fewer objects for which we are uncertain of their 'planetary' status," Charbonneau told SPACE.com. "Perhaps astronomy will undergo a schism, with sects of astronomers proclaiming different numbers of planets."
"As representatives of an international community of planetary scientists, we urge that the resolution be approved," said the DPS statement, signed by chairman Richard French of Wellesley College.
In an e-mail interview, French said he supports the defintion but realizes its shortcomings.
"My own personal definition would have been different from the final IAU resolution, but scientists have been stalemated for years by defending their own pet definitions," French said. "I understand the appeal of a simple declaration that Pluto is no longer a planet and that the solar system has only eight, but I also think there is value in the present definition that has applicability to planets around other stars as well."
The DPS has about 1,300 members, at least one-quarter of which are outside the United States. The statement does not represent the views of all members, said DPS Press Officer Sanjay Limaye. "There has been some feedback saying, 'I don't like it,'" he said.
'Worst' decision
The definition would make a planet of the asteroid Ceres and also reclassify Pluto's moon Charon as a planet, on the logic that the center of gravity around which Charon and Pluto orbit is not inside Pluto but rather in the space between them. (Earth's moon orbits our planet around a center of gravity that is inside Earth.)
Pluto and Charon would be called a double planet, and they'd also be termed "plutons" to distinguish them from the eight "classical" planets. Ceres would be termed a dwarf planet.
The definition entirely misses the key element of a solar system object, namely its role in the formation of the solar system," Charbonneau said. "There are eight fully formed planets. The other objects — Ceres, Pluto, Charon, [2003 UB313], and hundreds of thousands of others, are the fascinating byproducts of the formation of these eight planets."
David Jewitt, an astronomer at the University of Hawaii who searches for objects in the outer solar system, told SPACE.com that the proposal is "the worst kind of compromised committee report."
Jewitt has long avoided the whole debate over whether Pluto is a planet "because I think it is essentially bogus and scientifically it is a non-issue." He waded in reluctantly this week.
"Scientifically, whether Pluto is also a planet is a non-issue," Jewitt writes on his website. "No scientific definition of planet-hood exists or is needed. Is that a boat or a ship? It doesn't matter if you are using it to float across the ocean. Scientists are interested in learning about the origin of the solar system, and setting up arbitrary definitions of planet-hood is of no help here."
Geoff Marcy, who has led the discovery of more planets around other stars than anyone, called the definition arbitrary.
"Pluto, its moon, and large asteroids cannot suddenly be deemed planets," Marcy said in an email interview. "How would we explain to students that one large asteroid is a planet but the next biggest one isn't?"
Astronomers made a mistake when they deemed Pluto a planet in the 1930's, Marcy and many other astronmoers say. "Scientists should show that they can admit mistakes and rectify them," he said.
'Just might work'
However, one mild endorsement came today from Brian Marsden, who heads the Minor Planet Center where asteroids, comets and other newfound solar system objects are catalogued.
Marsden was on an IAU committee of planetary scientists that tried for a year but failed to come up with a definition for the word "planet," which was never needed until recent discoveries of Pluto-sized worlds out beyond Neptune. The newly proposed defintion was crafted by a second IAU committee of seven astronomers and historians.
Marsden is a firm believer that there are eight planets, but the new proposal has him sounding more flexible than in the past.
In an e-mail message from Prague, Marsden said the new definition is "intended to satisfy the eight-planet traditionalists (such as myself) and the 'plutocrats.'" He added that he's "not against" the idea of using roundness as a determining factor.
The IAU proposal will be voted on by IAU members Aug. 24.
"It all just might work," Marsden said.
source >>

Old August 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie
Please include the arabs with them as well...
Do you think there would all this conflict in Middle-East if Israel didn't exist?
Old August 18, 2006, 10:16 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolf_hitler
Because there isnt Arabs in pluto to start terrorising with.

Venus is a better option i reckon
lol why Venus?

I reckon Jupiter is a better choice since it's the biggest within our solar system, so plenty of space for everyone!
Old August 18, 2006, 11:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

2/3 of Africa is still dying of poverty, hunger, Aids and civil war.
and they r having a big meeting about which one is a planet or not!!
.....whatever.....

i know some of you might object my veiw, but to me, i got better things to do to loose my sleep on Pluto, Zena and DS1003.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Poor Pluto. He'd be sooo sad!
Old August 24, 2006, 10:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Pluto has offically lost it's status as the 9th planet. People has 12 day conventions on determining little things like this then try to do some a little more meaningful.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/science/astronomy_and_space
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old August 24, 2006, 10:53 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Who cares about Pluto.. Who cares about Africa?

Allah Allah koren jate Bangladesh konodin test status, emonki shadhin desher status na haray.
Old August 24, 2006, 01:58 PM
Cricket Legend

poor pluto. so this line doesnt apply any more

my very educated mother just showed us nine planets
Old August 24, 2006, 04:41 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Poor little Pluto, finally lost its planet status. Feeling soo sad for him.

আসলেই ষ্ট্যাটাস অর্জন করা অপেক্ষা রক্ষা করা কঠিন

Last edited by Miraz; August 24, 2006 at 04:48 PM..
Old August 24, 2006, 05:49 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Most people are against the downgrading the planet status of Pluto,

Here's a result from CNN poll

Were scientists correct in downgrading Pluto's status?
Yes

38%
27304 votes
No

62%
45388 votes
Total: 72692 votes
Old August 24, 2006, 08:24 PM
Cricket Legend

These astronomers doesnt have anything better to do than sit and discuss the status of dead object.
Old August 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
Cricket Legend

thats there job. they studied for that and they are doin that. thats y they are astronomers not mid east expert or anything.would u be happier if they changed isreal's status from a state to sumthing else.
Old August 29, 2006, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Who cares what these people decides, I bet if Pluto had a mind to think, it wouldnt give 2 cent to opinion of its status by some bunch of astronomers staring at space 24/7 with giant telescope deciding its planetary status.