facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 22, 2006, 01:44 PM
Sillypoint Sillypoint is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 27, 2005
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 162
Default Darrell Hair Saga: Bangladesh Pledges Support to Pakistan

BCB has pledged support to Pakistan. Here's the link to the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cric...nd/5275414.stm

Quote: "The Bangladesh Cricket Board, meanwhile, has pledged support to Pakistan while India officials say the ball-tampering issue "cannot be ignored". Indian board secretary Niranjan Shah told the BBC: "We will hold a meeting on it once we get adequate details from the International Cricket Council."

I am wondering whether BCB should have better off by following the 'wait and see' policy - we not only have to have a good relationship with Pakistan board but also with all other nations in terms of cricketing relationships. While I personally feel sympathetic to the Pakistani team in this case - but I thought the BCB should have been more cautious in making any statements right away before the matter is heard at the ICC hearings.

Notice how diplomatic the Indian Board have been? Did the BCB hold any meetings like the Indian cricket board? I am curious to know how the decision was made. Any body with information? Was the BCB president the sole decision maker? Were we forced to make a statment by any one? Sometimes we have to take sides - but could we not have waited till the storm was over? This may sound 'shuvidabadi' - but who doesn't love to get some 'shuvidas'??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 22, 2006, 01:50 PM
sadi's Avatar
sadi sadi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Location: In my room
Favorite Player: Mushi
Posts: 6,709

Good point. Why take any sides? People love to give us hard time anyways. Its just better to be neutral since noone asked for our support. Gordov shala ra. Sob kichute kotha bolte hoy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 22, 2006, 01:51 PM
cricman's Avatar
cricman cricman is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 8, 2005
Location: Deleting Evidence
Favorite Player: Dubya
Posts: 9,363

It's better to back people in your neighborhood and make friends sans India, u see having good a relationship w/ PCB and SLC will establish more tours on all levels, Test, ODI, FC , List A, 20/20, 6 side, etc.

It doesent matter how nice you are to the BCCI, becuase unless your Australia you usally don't get much in return
__________________
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 22, 2006, 02:01 PM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 25,067

You may be right on getting the statement too early, however, on this ball tempering issue when there is no witness, no video evidence by now I am not sure he (hair) can backup his decision. Forfieting the match is a secondary issue (it is the after math of hair's action) and ball tempering is the main issue here.

I am sure SKYtv has already rerun thousand times to make sure if they can find any evidence. Especially Tresco and Fletcher must have requested a copy and trying to help Hair's case.

I like the fact BCB did not hesitate to issue the statement. I know what the outcome will be on the hearing already. Simple, Inzamam guilty for not bringing his troops after lunch thus gets ban. Pakistan appealing on this and the appeal date will be after the ODI is over. Now the ball tempering hearing I am not sure how can they charge Pakistan since there is no evidence. Thousands on the stand and millions on TV didn't see anything. I would love to see ICC banning Inzy for that. Then the real game would begin which would end up in court. and the ODI series would be cancelled then.

Umpire'er iccha holo ar bollo "tora chala cheat". change the ball. When Jones and co. started to do reverse swing as early as the 35th over in the ashes series. This ball was 54 overs old. Naturally it can reverse swing.
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 22, 2006, 02:13 PM
sadi's Avatar
sadi sadi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Location: In my room
Favorite Player: Mushi
Posts: 6,709

I just think we shouldn't get involved in this mess so early when other test playing countries are taking wait and see approach. We can have our individual opinions but it is different when a board comes out with a statement. Anyways, I totally understand your point. I think Pakistan has done the right thing so far and umpire Hair has made a big mistake.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 22, 2006, 02:28 PM
betaar betaar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 24, 2004
Location: Land of the free
Favorite Player: The big hearted ones
Posts: 2,490

I knew our board would do such a stupid thing of taking side.

We need to learn how to be silent and be diplomatic in what we say. ICC provides the bread and butter for upcoming cricketing nations like ours, we need to choose our words correctly before we make a friend into a foe. We also need to stop jumping on the band wagon whenever there is an issue between one of our neighbouring country and ICC. None of our neighbours would come in our rescue or even to support if we are to ever pick a fight against ICC.

People are way to emotional in Bangladesh and the Cricket Board is no exception.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 22, 2006, 02:40 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 20,436

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
I knew our board would do such a stupid thing of taking side.

We need to learn how to be silent and be diplomatic in what we say. ICC provides the bread and butter for upcoming cricketing nations like ours, we need to choose our words correctly before we make a friend into a foe. We also need to stop jumping on the band wagon whenever there is an issue between one of our neighbouring country and ICC. None of our neighbours would come in our rescue or even to support if we are to ever pick a fight against ICC.

People are way to emotional in Bangladesh and the Cricket Board is no exception.
i agree...even tho one should speak up when its right.

hopefully, we can get a test series with pakistan now

__________________
Bangladesh is a stronger team with Shakib al Hasan.
Bangladesh is a stronger team without Shakib al Hasan.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 22, 2006, 02:42 PM
CTazim CTazim is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 6, 2005
Posts: 904

Hair raised our hair several times.. So, I think Hair is a pathetic excuse for a Cricket Umpire.. and YES [Edited]
__________________
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.

Last edited by reverse_swing; August 22, 2006 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: mod.content
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 22, 2006, 03:01 PM
FaridpurChicago's Avatar
FaridpurChicago FaridpurChicago is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 13, 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 579

I dont see anything wrong taking Paki side because we are not making anyone foe here except Hair. No single board is taking side with Hair. Hair is our foe anyway. We might get some more matches with Pakistan.
I have an easy way out if Inzy is banned. Pak should immediately schedule the same number of matches with BD as it will be handed to Inzy.
May Allah make my wish real. Amin.
__________________
Bangla - Amar root, amar thikana
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 22, 2006, 03:11 PM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

the ball tampering issue is the PCB's (and ICC's) problem. i don't think we should've meddled with something that doesn't concern us. unfortunately, amader bangladeshider onner bepare naak na golale bikal 4tar shomoy chorbijukto gorur goshto diye daale bhejano thala bhorti kore khawa bhaat hojom hoy na

our cricket is at a stage where kotha kom bole kaj beshi korata oti joruri. unfortunately, amader playerra to beshi kotha koy e...ekhon abar boardero baar barse. kaamer belay shob patla paykhana.

anyways, ei bochor ki 3ta test asha kora jaay tahole? :p
__________________
Screw the IPL, I'm going to the MLC!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 22, 2006, 03:26 PM
zia's Avatar
zia zia is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: August 7, 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 1,063

I read somewhere that the reason we are supporting Pakistan is because they have supported us in the past. What a logic! It was better to wait and then make a statement based on the facts of the issue. By walking out Pakistan definitely made a mistake. There is a better way to protest-always.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 22, 2006, 04:58 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
I read somewhere that the reason we are supporting Pakistan is because they have supported us in the past. What a logic! It was better to wait and then make a statement based on the facts of the issue. By walking out Pakistan definitely made a mistake. There is a better way to protest-always.
It is a right and bold decision by BCCB. We should stand by our fiends in needs(in terms of cricketing relationship). Mr. Devil Hair could not show/present any evidence of ball tempering but accused Pakistan to do so. He is very well-known as a Asian hater from 1992 and continued his form with consistancy(unlike Ashraful and Aftab!). In moral ground, supporting PCB is the right thing which we did.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
You may be right on getting the statement too early, however, on this ball tempering issue when there is no witness, no video evidence by now I am not sure he (hair) can backup his decision. Forfieting the match is a secondary issue (it is the after math of hair's action) and ball tempering is the main issue here.

I am sure SKYtv has already rerun thousand times to make sure if they can find any evidence. Especially Tresco and Fletcher must have requested a copy and trying to help Hair's case.

I like the fact BCB did not hesitate to issue the statement. I know what the outcome will be on the hearing already. Simple, Inzamam guilty for not bringing his troops after lunch thus gets ban. Pakistan appealing on this and the appeal date will be after the ODI is over. Now the ball tempering hearing I am not sure how can they charge Pakistan since there is no evidence. Thousands on the stand and millions on TV didn't see anything. I would love to see ICC banning Inzy for that. Then the real game would begin which would end up in court. and the ODI series would be cancelled then.

Umpire'er iccha holo ar bollo "tora chala cheat". change the ball. When Jones and co. started to do reverse swing as early as the 35th over in the ashes series. This ball was 54 overs old. Naturally it can reverse swing.


Unlike many of us you stand high in moral ground. A good soul.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 22, 2006, 05:18 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
I knew our board would do such a stupid thing of taking side.

We need to learn how to be silent and be diplomatic in what we say. ICC provides the bread and butter for upcoming cricketing nations like ours, we need to choose our words correctly before we make a friend into a foe. We also need to stop jumping on the band wagon whenever there is an issue between one of our neighbouring country and ICC. None of our neighbours would come in our rescue or even to support if we are to ever pick a fight against ICC.

People are way to emotional in Bangladesh and the Cricket Board is no exception.
And you might be too practical my friend! Our neighbours supported us when we needed it most to get the Test Status. It is our moral duty to support our neighbours if they are right. ICC is run by Devil Hair and Co. and we will never get anything from them whether it is due or not. ICC is there to serves a specific group of countries anyway.

Last edited by kalpurush; August 22, 2006 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 22, 2006, 05:23 PM
israr's Avatar
israr israr is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 24, 2005
Location: In the deserts of arabia
Favorite Player: They betrayed us
Posts: 1,408

Just hoping that Pakistan will cancel the ODI series against England and come back for a hastily arranged one-day series with us before the Champions Trophy.
__________________
'You won't succeed the task until you have succeeded the task within yourself' - Ruhaan Israr Eskander
[Revolutionist inventor and discoverer]
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 22, 2006, 05:27 PM
kalpurush's Avatar
kalpurush kalpurush is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 7, 2005
Location: Victoria: Heaven's Earth!
Posts: 17,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
It's better to back people in your neighborhood and make friends sans India, u see having good a relationship w/ PCB and SLC will establish more tours on all levels, Test, ODI, FC , List A, 20/20, 6 side, etc.

It doesent matter how nice you are to the BCCI, becuase unless your Australia you usally don't get much in return
You said it.
India took his stands as a betrayer as usal. No new surprize package!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old August 22, 2006, 05:36 PM
israr's Avatar
israr israr is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 24, 2005
Location: In the deserts of arabia
Favorite Player: They betrayed us
Posts: 1,408

Yes Pakistan, we're there with you.
__________________
'You won't succeed the task until you have succeeded the task within yourself' - Ruhaan Israr Eskander
[Revolutionist inventor and discoverer]
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old August 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
SMHasan's Avatar
SMHasan SMHasan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2005
Location: Dhaka
Posts: 3,061

There is no evidence that Pakistan did the ball tempering so why this mess? ICC has been very stupid over the years and now they are acting like a dead body. Idiots. They have no control over this game now a days.
__________________

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 22, 2006, 08:49 PM
PoorFan PoorFan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 15, 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 14,333

Quote:
"The Bangladesh Cricket Board, meanwhile, has pledged support to Pakistan while India officials say the ball-tampering issue "cannot be ignored". Indian board secretary Niranjan Shah told the BBC: "We will hold a meeting on it once we get adequate details from the International Cricket Council."
There is NOTHING except few words on BCB in that news, no mention 'who', 'when' even 'what' exactly was the 'statement', all he/she tried to state on BCCI. Neither I see any news on this matter on BD news paper. So I doubt a lot this BBC report on BCB.

But I don't like if they ( BCB ) made any 'statement' on this issue, even if they had to then they should have made it very specific, on which part they support Pakistan and which part they don't. In my opinion, 'ball tempering' and 'refusing to play' is out of question, but 'match officials' should have handled the situation better for 'greatest interest of cricket' and 'audience'. ( something like that )
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old August 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
Rabz's Avatar
Rabz Rabz is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative
 
Join Date: February 28, 2005
Location: Here
Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Posts: 20,470

i think the BCB statement is a counter-reaction to that of the Indian one.
Everybody expected the Asian gang to rally behind Pakistand and India, being themselves, had to drop a bombshell, inspite being right on thier own capacity.

So, it became quite imminent on Bangladesh's part to take a stance. With SL and India already voicing thier opinion, we didnt wanna sound like a chicken hiding at the back. as our great leader G W says, "Either you r with ur, or against us".
Everybody knows BD would be behind Pak and its not a big surprise. But by coming out and supporting in public, BCB wants to show that they are by no means a scarred bunch and are decisive in their opinion.

Countries like SA, Aus or WI does NOT need to make an statement. they r already an established power in the game and every body knows who they would gang up, except WI, who needs to be on the Asian side for the future of their own game developement. ( eg, tri-nations in Malaysia is a promise made by India when they voted for us for the WC 2011. now gettin $1M per game.)

I think voicing our support was a good thing. We r one of the elite Ten and even though we dont count much, we need to show we r no backbencher.

It also reflects the widen gap between Bangladesh and Indian Cricket Board, which im happy to see cuz our admins r not spineless beggers to go and support India in every cause.

Who knows, may be BCB can cook something up with PCB in the future. Cuz its quite clear India is not interested at all.
__________________
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old August 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
Thunder's Avatar
Thunder Thunder is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 10, 2006
Location: The Whole World
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 509

Pakistan had ball tempering issues when they visited England last time. This time when they were accused of the same doing, with no evidence, its okay for them to stand up and restore their pride a bit.

Inzamam is trusting all their players with full of heart but not all their players are trustworthy. I can remember in a recent series where Afridi caught on video tampering with the pitch and when he was caught, he said "he dont know why he did that!" to the enquiry commision.

Can you trust those players who dont know what they are doing...?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old August 23, 2006, 12:35 AM
imran78's Avatar
imran78 imran78 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 11, 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,163

good decision by the BCB to support PCB. We need to strengthen our ties with Pak and SL and back them whenever they need any kind of backing. With all the flack BD gets about its test status and the two-tier system cropping up every now and then we need boards who will back us when we need it. and BCCI doesn't give a rat's *** about BD cricket, so no need to support them.

By the way, how many test/ODI's involving BD has Hair stood in? were there any controversial decisions against us?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old August 23, 2006, 12:38 AM
thebest thebest is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 21, 2005
Location: in the blue planet
Posts: 3,798

Why BCB has to voice it out ? Everybody knows whose side we would be in time of voting. BCB should be more diplomatic. I did not read any SL board support on this issue though we all know where they would go. That should have been our approach.
Why we (ie Bangladesh, India) have to take a stand on every issue. Even ECB a party involve in the incident has not issued anything. So as ACB (Hair is representing ACB). Lobby should just shut up and do some lobbying for getting us some match. But if he did it for getting some match from Pakistan, I do not agree with it. We are making enemy which is not worth.
India talking about 'ball temparing' or 'rule of officials' a joke to me. did not Dravid and tendu got caught by camera for for temparing or did not India and SA played a test match without ICC approved match refererry.
If Hair is 'mini Hitler' then this Shah guy is a 'mini Bush'
__________________
Twenty20 is not a gentleman's game. It's like a one-night stand and not a marriage. It is a street format and the goonda doesn't know what is a late cut or a cover drive
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old August 23, 2006, 12:43 AM
imran78's Avatar
imran78 imran78 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 11, 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,163

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Why BCB has to voice it out ? Everybody knows whose side we would be in time of voting. BCB should be more diplomatic. I did not read any SL board support on this issue though we all know where they would go. That should have been our approach.
wrong. SL has already pledged their support to PCB.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old August 23, 2006, 12:55 AM
thebest thebest is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 21, 2005
Location: in the blue planet
Posts: 3,798

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran78
wrong. SL has already pledged their support to PCB.
Is it. Can you provide me the link. All I saw former SL players supporting Pak team decesion. Ranatunga voiced his opinion, but it was not from his official position, but more on personal note.
__________________
Twenty20 is not a gentleman's game. It's like a one-night stand and not a marriage. It is a street format and the goonda doesn't know what is a late cut or a cover drive
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket