facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Who will be our other opener beside SN?
Aftab 3 5.56%
Ash 17 31.48%
Rajin 11 20.37%
Mehrab Jr. 14 25.93%
Sakib 2 3.70%
Sadat 5 9.26%
Others 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 29, 2006, 02:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Who should be our Opener along with SN?

In the last away tour (8 matches) we had the most pathetic outings by our openers. 6 times we failed to cross 22 before losing a wicket. Only one time SN/RS had a partnership of 99 that crossed 40. We must solve this puzzle before the WC if we want to show a decent performance (an upset + Bermuda win).

We have an important tournament coming up and I just want to see what you guys think about our opening pair. We know (God willing) SN will be one. The problem lies who will be the other?

1. Aftab: I doubt he will get any votes. However, we are running out of options. So I included him in this. May be taking advantage of the first 20 restricted overs.

2. Ash: I would like to try him few more times.

3. Rajin: If he is in the team, but we know he is not the answer.

4. Mehrab Jr: I don't think the selectors gave him the chance for nothing. And guess what, he is not as aggressive, explosive as Aftab, Sakib, Sadat - which is a good thing.

5. Sakib: This brings Sakib Al Hasan. But feel if they let him open then Aftab needs to go back to bat at six.

6. Sadat: I know he is not in the team. But the management is keeping a close eye at this kid (sending him to six a side). His stat is better than Mehrab Jr. and he is openning. His strike rate is 70+. In his last 13 innings (Zim A and Pak Academy) he is averaging 50+. In 4 ODI ave is a healthy 61.75 with a SR of 86%, and no notouts to puff up that stats.

7. Others: Rafique, Mashrafe pinch hitting. Since we can't get a stable opener from what we have why not let the dogs out early.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; August 29, 2006 at 03:25 PM..

Old August 29, 2006, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Given that matches against SL and WI will be high scoring ones, I think we should take chances with Ash (it is about time he plays his Eid innings, right ?). If he clicks, we win a match. For the last match against Zimbabwe, we should play it safe and bring Rajin back (since he has a relatively better track record against Zim).

So my line up would be-

SN
Ash/Rajin
Aftab
Bashar (or TI, incase Bashar is injured)
Shakib
Reza

Last edited by TheWatcher; August 29, 2006 at 02:28 PM..
Old August 29, 2006, 02:24 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I will go with Ashraful. He should be given few more chances as opener. If he fails, we should think about a new face like Sadat or Mehrab.

Rajin is not fit for ODI opening slot. Aftab and Sakib should be in the top/middle order.
Old August 29, 2006, 02:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I liked Ash w/ SN vs Kenya 38 runs in 6 overs! It was a really showed the potental of putting them together so it would go like this.

Ash
SN
Bashar
Sakib
Aftab
Rajin
Mehrab jr
Rafique
Razzaq
Mash
Rasel/Rajib
Old August 29, 2006, 02:40 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

If Bashar plays, then we should try Ashraful for few more matches.

Otherwise Mehrab jnr. should be considered as an option.
Old August 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

rajin is slow like javed. mehrab should be given some chances as an opener
Old August 29, 2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i still want rajin to open. ash has done relatively better in the middle order, and should stay there. however, with the likes of sakib, farhad and mehrab knocking on the door, the days may be numbered for these two.
Old August 29, 2006, 04:38 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
The only possible answer to who should open with SN is of course JO. he is the only possible one

I faked the above quote to make many of the members in this board faint
Old August 29, 2006, 04:50 PM

In coming practice matches before Champions Trophy, we could try Mehrab Jr. as an opener. If his performence is excellent or close to, we should go for him. Otherwise, Ashraful is our better option.
Old August 29, 2006, 04:51 PM
Cricket Legend

i would go with Ash. On his day he can hit the good bowlers and thats exactly wat Bd needs with SN playing as anchor. Besides he is not getting much runs in the middle order anyway. With bashar at 4 and Sakib at 5 Bd´s middle order has a calming influence. If Bashar is not fit I ll go with rajin or tushar. But Rajin is not a good choice as an opener as he doesnt have the capability to go after good opening bowlers. Mehrab is untested yet.
Old August 29, 2006, 05:01 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I faked the above quote to make many of the members in this board faint
"Rubu wants Alok to open with SN" is more believable
Old August 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Ash will create more pressure in the middle order. I think he can be successful in playing those big shots while he opens the innings. So I vote for him.
Old August 29, 2006, 09:08 PM
Cricket Legend

After the way, Mushy handles the English pacer at Lords and with is weakness againest quality spin, if he plays I want him to open. Otherwise I would take chance with Ash/Aftab. Virtually aftab is now opening in evry match. So why not play him there and open a place at middle order. Though rajin is more level headed, SN-Rajin opening combo would be too slow. Same goes to Mehrab. He is not explosive rather one who works the ball more suited for number 5/6.
Old August 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Lets give Ash more chance in the opening slot. He plays a lot airy shot so there is a chance of suceeding in the opening slot rather than in the middle over. Plus he is a stroke player so lets take some pressure off from him and see how he goes. If we let him play his natural destructive game then we might see a different story.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 29, 2006, 10:00 PM

To me there is none we can leave the opener job in the team. If we put Ash for open he may click 'once' in a 'ten' time, playing ten balls or scoring ten runs, given that his 'low confidence' or 'bad patch' or 'whatever reason'. Which means possibility of losing early wickets is 'high' in every match we play. Should we try him in qualifying round of CT? or in CT? or even against coming Zimbo series? I say NO!

Same could be said with Aftab too. Rather we should try Mehrab in Zimbo series and see his performance, keeping in mind that we must have to settle our opener problem before WC. I always ready to accept the 'pain' of slow batting for the sake of top order 'consistency'.

Old August 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Seems like I am the only one to vote for Aftas as an opener with Nafees

Why then? Only because he is a hard hitter and can take full advantage of the 20 overs field restriction. Ahs is best fit for the middle order, and the selectors have picked Mehrab Jr (who can bowl as well) to strengthen middle order batting. Rajin is no better than JO in the opening slot. Sakib is a new block in ODI arena and pushing him to face the new ball might be an unjust for a new comer like him. All these give only Aftab to open with Nafees. And imagine whats gonna happen if he clicks? BANG!
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life
Old August 29, 2006, 10:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

I would prefer Ash as the opening partner and Mehrab Jr. as one down.As far we know until now, Mehrab Jr. is said to be a pretty good batsman who don't take unnecessary risks.We need someone like that to make the innings steady.Considering Ash will open, I don't think we need another blaster like Aftab at one-down.Falling of both in quick succession is creating a lot of pressure on our middle-order these days.I would rather play Aftab at No 6.He seems to play with responsibility at the later order when we need run-a-ball and had prominent contriibution at that position in most of our wins against big names.So, my team looks like -

SN
Ash
Mehrab Jr.
Bashar
Farhad
Aftab
Pilot
Rafiq
Razzaque
Mashrafi
Shahadat/Rasel
Old August 29, 2006, 10:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

I would prefer to see in the opening slot and Mehrab down the order. Remember, how he held the U19 middle order together along with M. Rahim. Rajin's days are numbered if Mehrab performs.

Ash takes too much risk, we won't see a good innings from him unless it is his lucky day. He is more like Sehwag... only sehwag is more consistent! I am hoping that the field restrictions will give him more opportunity to freely hit.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
To me there is none we can leave the opener job in the team. If we put Ash for open he may click 'once' in a 'ten' time, playing ten balls or scoring ten runs, given that his 'low confidence' or 'bad patch' or 'whatever reason'. Which means possibility of losing early wickets is 'high' in every match we play. Should we try him in qualifying round of CT? or in CT? or even against coming Zimbo series? I say NO!

Same could be said with Aftab too. Rather we should try Mehrab in Zimbo series and see his performance, keeping in mind that we must have to settle our opener problem before WC. I always ready to accept the 'pain' of slow batting for the sake of top order 'consistency'.

Then whom should we try as an opener with SN for Champions Trophy?!
Old August 29, 2006, 11:30 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I voted for Aftab. Ash's opening record is far from acceptable, Aftab is an aggressive batsman and somehow quite successful at that approach. It doesn't need a brain surgeon to decide if his position in the opener spot will be beneficial in terms of getting quick runs, which is what we'll need at some point.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Then whom should we try as an opener with SN for Champions Trophy?!
I think Rajin is the best option we have at this moment for qualifying round of CT. If we get qualified for CT which is very doubtful, that may also mean we will have to play CT with Rajin too. But for WC we should get ready Mehrab to join in.
Old August 30, 2006, 12:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Mushfiq was the best among all under-19 players and that’s why he also became the captain of the team and also selected too early and now its really hard time for him to watching that his fellow members of under 19 team making sure their places in national and he is still unsecured for his place in the team...so for opening position Mushfiq or Ashraful should be the first choice
Old August 30, 2006, 12:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

I would really like to see Ashraful open with nafees. You never know what it might work out.
Old August 30, 2006, 12:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Rajin for now. Mehrab eventually.
Old August 30, 2006, 01:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
I liked Ash w/ SN vs Kenya 38 runs in 6 overs! It was a really showed the potental of putting them together so it would go like this.

Ash
SN
Bashar
Sakib
Aftab
Rajin
Mehrab jr
Rafique
Razzaq
Mash
Rasel/Rajib
who is the keeper in this team mate?

id prefer Ash another chance in the opening slot. He needs to find his form! in the game or get booted out. and the last option for him is to try out this position.
also with right/left combination with SN, they SHOULD (in papers) make a good opening pair. he can also play his regular carefree shots and may be get away with it. and after scoring a quick fire 20-30, should know better to slow down and build an innings.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]