facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Is Daily Star pro-AL?
Yes 22 66.67%
No 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 22, 2006, 06:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Is Daily Star pro-AL?

I used to consider the Daily Star as the mosy respectable and neutral English newspaper in Bangladesh. It always vehemently denied any bias towards any political party. However, its reporting during this recent crisis is showing that its just a mouthpiece for the Awami League.

Just take a look at these gems by Daily Star :
http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/11/22/d6112201033.htm

1) Spontaneity and festivity were evident on the streets of Dhaka as people's participation in and support for the blockade increased further yesterday when the whole country reeled under the road-rail-waterways blockade enforced by the 14-party combine.

2) General population seemed to be more or less in agreement with the blockaders all over the country, making it easier for them to enforce it rather peacefully.

Awami League is supposed to be doing us a favor by "enforcing it rather peacefully".

How do they know that the population agrees with the blockade?
I guess this is how BBGun got the impresion that everyone is supporting the blockade.
Lets not forget that if they attempt to defy the blockade and go to office this is what will happen,

At Russell Square, pickets torched a private car whilew at Shyamoli, they vandalised a CNG-run autorickshaw.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/11/...122012922p.htm

Furthermore, I am noticing that is always "BNP supporters attacking AL workers", and "AL workers being innocent victims".....

Old November 22, 2006, 06:08 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

How come it becomes a topic of a poll??
Its a fact.
Old November 22, 2006, 09:38 AM

You know, there was a similar thread a long before, and I still remember my comment was "DS and prothom alo are biased in term of criticize government, but not pro BAL or India". I still like to stand by my comment, but recently sometime it seems difficult to even convince myself. They should be more vocal and focused on public interest, especially in a political issue. Banglatiger84 is right, DS is blatantly supporting BAL in this case, putting aside public huge suffering and interest, just to justify a political issue. That's I believe totally a wrong approach being a leading news paper in the country.

One more thing though off topic, in general our news paper always fail to deliver follow up news ( most of the case ).
Old November 22, 2006, 10:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Is this some thing even to ask about? its like asking is hasina supproter of BAL partY???
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 22, 2006, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I always read the DS since 1996. It has become like a habit of mine and when I was in dhaka the first thing I did after waking up was to read the paper. I always liked their newspaper because they were vocal when BAL was doing those rubbish during their misrule. HOwever, as time went by and specially now I see that they are leaning towards BAL. The thing that struck me most and disappointed me the most is they have commentaries by the editor on a regualr basis regarding the wrongs being done by CEC, CA BNP etc. but I did not find any commentary renouncing the BAL politics. BUt it is true the editor has mentioned in his editorials from time to time that BAL should go for less violent and more peaceful demonstrations, but still that cannot be a subsitute for a front page commentary.
Old November 22, 2006, 11:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

The pro-AL bias of DS has disappointed me alot
Old November 22, 2006, 12:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

daily star and prothom-alo has already been pro AL. As a matter of fact most newspapers are pro AL or anti BNP. EVEN DAILY INQILAB.
I guess people are just fed up with BNP and their politics and hence supporting AL atleast the media or maybe whatever tehy are reporting is true. (if everyone is reporting it)
Old November 22, 2006, 12:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
I guess people are just fed up with BNP and their politics and hence supporting AL atleast the media or maybe whatever tehy are reporting is true. (if everyone is reporting it)
Just because the Daily Star says "general people were seen supporting the blocakde" doesnt mean its true.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Just because the Daily Star says "general people were seen supporting the blocakde" doesnt mean its true.
No it doesn't. But when several newspapers say it i think there is some truth to it.
Should I take people in BC's word over neewspapers? nope. In the same way these people will not take my word over newspapers.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
No it doesn't. But when several newspapers say it i think there is some truth to it.
Should I take people in BC's word over neewspapers? nope. In the same way these people will not take my word over newspapers.
And we all are taking the words of our friends and relatives back home. In my case, NONE of my relatives in Bangladesh support BNP, but they all are critical of the blockade.

So words of people living in Bangladesh is more reliable than partisan and biased newspapers.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

Daily Star is not only pro-Bal:

it is also pro-India. DS creates at least one fabricated story each week showing how we will all be better off if we give away our national resources or our soverignty to India.

DS also actively propagandize against Bangladesh.

Here's an old link on the topic.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=10523
Old November 22, 2006, 12:42 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Daily Star is not only pro-Bal:

it is also pro-India. DS creates at least one fabricated story each week showing how we will all be better off if we give away our national resources or our soverignty to India.

DS also actively propagandize against Bangladesh.

Here's an old link on the topic.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=10523

I have read you posts man. You hate dailystar like anything.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
And we all are taking the words of our friends and relatives back home. In my case, NONE of my relatives in Bangladesh support BNP, but they all are critical of the blockade.

So words of people living in Bangladesh is more reliable than partisan and biased newspapers.
I am sure they will be critical of it because they are suffereing because of it.

The thing is you are only asking a few people in Bangaldesh as opposed to several newspapers who actually see these things on the street. I am not saying that if only dailystar says it its true, but if all the newspapers say something there is some truth to it. Your relatives and friends can have their views of the blockade and that is true, but it might match that of all the people in the country.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
How come it becomes a topic of a poll??
Its a fact.
Coz these stories are fabricated in such a way that it sounds like neutral reporting. But I agree with you...by now we should all understand that it's a fact!
Old November 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
daily star and prothom-alo has already been pro AL. As a matter of fact most newspapers are pro AL or anti BNP. EVEN DAILY INQILAB.
Mannan's two sons (Inquilab founder) have been promissed seats in the next parliament by BAL. They have all but joined Hachina publicly. BAL party went into more than one election in the past holding hands with Jamat. So, kissing the rajakar's sons in the lips is nothing for Hachina.

If some of you think that this is bad, I've got a shocker for you, only if you knew who is going to be our State Minister if BAL cheats itself in power. At this point, BNPs biggest failure seems to me that they failed to start a few newspapers of their own. This was the same problem before when BAL party stole the control using anarchy and mayhem.

DS analytical reports never points out that BAL is a true beliver in violence and mayhem to control the country.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I have read you posts man. You hate dailystar like anything.
And he has a justified reason to do so. A reporter's word is less critical than that of a scholar...and to me, Billah bhai's analysis of DS sounds scholarly and well-founded.
Old November 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

the easist way to find out wether people r with bal about the blockade is to tell the bal party mastans not to through bricks and stuff on private cars and people and then see how many people supports that.
People in bangaldesh r fadeup with these parties mastani and more early these fat headed politians will understand that then more they will get support.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 22, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
DS analytical reports never points out that BAL is a true beliver in violence and mayhem to control the country.
And for such reports, I would personally rely on neutral media (aka alternative media) like www.Indymedia.org. Unfortunately, they don't have a BD IndyMedia. But, there could be some other alternative media which I don't know about. News from sources that are owned by politicians are not newsworthy.
Old November 22, 2006, 01:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
And for such reports, I would personally rely on neutral media (aka alternative media) like www.Indymedia.org. Unfortunately, they don't have a BD IndyMedia. But, there could be some other alternative media which I don't know about. News from sources that are owned by politicians are not newsworthy.

bbc.co.uk/bengali.
Old November 22, 2006, 01:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
And he has a justified reason to do so. A reporter's word is less critical than that of a scholar...and to me, Billah bhai's analysis of DS sounds scholarly and well-founded.
I am sure he does have justified reasons to do so, but i havent come across any maybe because i have not read all his posts.
Old November 22, 2006, 01:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I am sure they will be critical of it because they are suffereing because of it.
Like duh.....

We have a blockade and picketers enforcing the blockade by beating up people goign to offices and burning cars that dare to venture out.

Any sane person will not support such a blockade
Old November 22, 2006, 01:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Like duh.....

We have a blockade and picketers enforcing the blockade by beating up people goign to offices and burning cars that dare to venture out.

Any sane person will not support such a blockade
Sure, any "sane" person will not support the blockade. But who are you and I to decide what sane is. So, if sum1 supports the blockade, he or she is not sane and yet all the political parties in Bangladesh, except for BNp and jamaat are supporting it. Stop labelling people as sane or insane.
Old November 22, 2006, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Sure, any "sane" person will not support the blockade. But who are you and I to decide what sane is. So, if sum1 supports the blockade, he or she is not sane and yet all the political parties in Bangladesh, except for BNp and jamaat are supporting it. Stop labelling people as sane or insane.

I can damn well decide what sane is. Anyone supporting enforcing blockade through violence is not sane.
Just like murder is consisered an evil act, similarly burning cars and killing people is evil.

We cant have a different value system, where crimes commited by BAL are justified
Old November 22, 2006, 01:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:

There are generaly accepted definitions of "sane" and "insane". For example if someone just goes out in the street naked and starts dancing people generally would call that person insane. Dont you think so ? Based on those general terms peopl who support the blockade can be deemed "insane". I will try and explain why. What is your source of livelihoood? Salaried job or business maybe. If they are either then the blockade is doing considerable damage to both. No offices can run properly due to the blockade. Normal life meaning a life where people can take their own rational decisions are being hampered because some political goons are holding them hostage to their houses and not allowing them to venture out. In this case if you say people who support the blockade are sane then that person has to be either a BAL party supporting brainwashed person or has to have crores and crores of black money under his arse so him or her not working or sleeping all day does not make a difference to his or her life. When you have people forcing you to do something and you support it and not protest that makes you kind of insane doesnt it. After all every person has the right to take their own decisions whther to go to office or not for example. If the program was such that people who supported the program could refrain from going to the office or keep their offices closed and the other who choose not to could carry out their normal acivities without the fear of getting attacked and their cars being vandalized then we could have said that the program was ok and supporting it was sane because it gave everyone the right to make their own decisions.

Talking about livelihood most poor people's livelihood depends on daily income and as such this is harming them the most. Maybe you and your khalamma should compensate all the poor people and also I wouldnt mind if you compensate my dad for the loss he is making for having his business closed due to the blockades. Either you guys are insane or you guys have way too much black money coming out from your behind to care about a daily normal life.
Old November 22, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn