Yet another weak team
I didn't want to concentrate on Bangladesh A team squad to Kenya tour as Bangladesh's tour of SriLanka was going on.
Now that I am looking at the squad, it seems like a junior world cup squad to me, more like our ICC team.
That is, if some of them can get through real successfully, then they will go to South Africa for sure. And who knows? If they can also perform better than average in South Africa against South Africa, then they might be in the world cup 2003 squad.
1) Captain Sanwar Hossain: Failed every time as a specialist batsman, so far his contribution was 50 runs against Pakistan in 1 ODI in our own pitches, also his highest score for Bangladesh at the International level, though he scored 45 runs against New Zealand in completely different conditions, whereas we needed him to stay on the wicket for longer period of time.
2) Vice captain Hannan Sarkar: We have seen him in this just concluded SL tour and he has a very big deficiency in his batting technique, until he rectifies this in near future, then he is no good to us in the national team. And so far, he has not got the time by being placed in the Ken tour right after the SL tour, which really does not make any justice to him.
3) Md. Ashraful - he will need the experience, as a matter of producing the goods in reality, I am not so sure.
4) Javed Omar Belim: He should be given the captancy job, as far as I know, he is the only player in this whole BD A squad who is really of International standard.
5) Tushar Imran: He needs the experience in the 3-day and 4-day matches.
6) Mazharul Haque: Big test for him, if he is given the chance, we would also need a good replacement for Bulbul-Akram-Nannu, and if Mridul can perform better and consistently than he has shown so far, he is in my squad instead of Bulbul-Akram-Nannu.
7) Mushfiqur Rahman Babu: His bowling is always steady, whether he can maintain his line and length against the class batsman of Tikolo, Odoyo and Otieno, that is the question. His batting also needs to be seen - so far, untested in real competitive games.
8) Tapash Kumar Baisya: So far, he has shown with the ball and the bat that he has his heart in the right place, it is a matter of Bangladesh A team winning against Kenya now and his performance in accordance with that.
9) Alok Kapali: His first real test as an allrounder after getting the exposure of Test and One Day International matches.
10) Talha Jubair: He is a good pace bowler to the right handed batsman, but I am not sure if he is fully fit to go to a tour of Kenya since he was not included in the One Day games for pain in legs.
11) Shafaq Al Zaber, 12) Anwar Hossain 13) Rafiqul Islam Khan 14) Sabbir Khan Shafin: Don't know much about these 4 players - does anyone know them well enough to judge their selection for the A team?