facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old February 5, 2007, 06:45 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
shAhriyar, u seem to know it all, so give me the proof which suggests my unc has taken all this so called money..show me a receipt, i want to see it formyself, but am tellin u this, ma manz innocent, he has been checked before by the bnp goverment and not a single penny had been found..same will happen this time..100% sure..

rite, am goin bak to count ma dollars now..inabit..
Mohammad Nasim
Senior Awami League (AL) leader Mohammad Nasim was widely reported to have been involved in corruption when he was a cabinet member of the AL government during 1996-2001.
He was the minister for home affairs, post and telecommunications, and housing and public works ministries during the AL government's tenure.
The BNP-Jamaat government, after assuming office following the 2001 elections, filed three cases accusing Nasim of being involved in corruption as a minister of post and telecommunications ministry. But he was also allegedly involved with corruption in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Housing and Public Works.
A charge sheet was submitted on June 13, 2002 accusing Nasim of misappropriating public money by illegally appointing a consultant in the 3,00,000 digital telephone installation project. The World Tel Holdings Ltd was installing the phone lines. The charge sheet pointed out that Nasim appointed consultant for the project without tender notices and influenced the consultant to recommend World Tel for the job.
A charge sheet, submitted against Nasim on August 3, 2002, accused him of approving a work order to provide 2,00,000 personal handy phone system by the Bangladesh Telephone and Technology Private Ltd, ignoring recommendations of the T&T Board.
Another case accused him of being involved in misappropriating Tk 131.18 crore in installing digital telephone exchanges in different districts.
The High Court suspended the trial of these cases.
Besides, Nasim allegedly made brisk money by taking bribes for promotions and transfers in the police department.
Many AL leaders believe Nasim's corruption was one of the major reasons for their party's defeat in 2001 elections.




All this copied and pasted from DS. IF your uncle thought this was malicious and untruthful or if any one of your relatives thought the same then you people should have written a rejoinder to the daily asking them to explain it. Why on earth would you let someone defame you for no rhyme or reason ? There are also allegations that Mr Nasim was close to Mr Falu from BNP which helped the latter stay out of trouble during the AL rule and maybe he just returned the favour to his "brother from another mother" by trying to save his *** during the BNP rule. Still there were chargesheets submitted holding Mr nasim responsible for corruption. No one from AL has protested anything about Mr Nasim being detained on corruption charges which means they agree to it. In this age of lies and deception hypocrites like AL havent come out in support of Mr. Nasim when he is being charged, that itself seems like a huge proof of his involvement. Please Note AL has protested the detention of one of their other leaders though.

Unfortunately bribing is not legal so there is no "receipt" of the money changing hands. Otherwise I am sure I could have shown that to you too.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old February 5, 2007, 06:51 PM
Miraz's Avatar
Miraz Miraz is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 27, 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 14,900

Former minister Tariqul Islam is the latest in the arrest list.
__________________
You only play good cricket when you win/draw matches.
I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose . http://twitter.com/BanglaCricket
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old February 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
Yameen's Avatar
Yameen Yameen is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 27, 2004
Location: Bath, United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Jayasuria
Posts: 1,866

'reported', 'accusations', 'allegations', come on that aint hardcore, ive heard about all that, its all setup dats standard in bangladesh..AL leaders have protested the detainment of him, we all have different interpretations of what is coming out of what he has 'ALLEGED' to have done..it setup blatent, dont u think the higher powers of awami league wud have thrown him out if he was held responsible? but thats not the point, hes innocent, he only wants whats best for the country, its something he has always fought for..people (the rajakas) are out to destroy him,..allow bangladesh police makin good money tho..
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old February 5, 2007, 07:34 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

There should be a threshold by law. If a politician cross that threshold of corruption and it is proven by court then the politician should loose right to participate in any future elections as well as charges would be brought against.

For example: Taking a bribe for Tk 1000 or more. Having proof of taking bribe more then 3 times lesser then that amount. Everything has to be identified and proven in court. Court has to have autonomy power to investigate any politicians and allegations. Care Taker government should pass the law and establish the process befor the next election takes place.

Last edited by shujan; February 5, 2007 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old February 5, 2007, 07:40 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

Ershad being an army stole billions from bangladeshi citizens. I do not trust any army power for a second. They give a false sense of peace. Once they grip the power then they become Ershad again.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old February 5, 2007, 08:49 PM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Ershad being an army stole billions from bangladeshi citizens. I do not trust any army power for a second. They give a false sense of peace. Once they grip the power then they become Ershad again.

Yes and No.

Today's Army is vastly different from that era. Today's Army is well travelled and posesses a global view which our politicians don't. Ershad's Army was led by thoroughly unprofessional, corrupt and indisciplined officers. But remember in the end it was the Army's refusal to protect Ershad braught about his downfall.

That said, it is off course not a good idea to keep the Army in present capacity for a prolonged period of time, say more than 18 to 24 months. Anything beyond that they are liable to become defacto politicians. But for now I don't see any other alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old February 5, 2007, 10:24 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Yes and No.

That said, it is off course not a good idea to keep the Army in present capacity for a prolonged period of time, say more than 18 to 24 months. Anything beyond that they are liable to become defacto politicians. But for now I don't see any other alternative.
How you gonna remove them if they do not want to go?
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old February 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
Banglatiger84 Banglatiger84 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 1, 2003
Posts: 2,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
:"All their black money and illegal assets should be frozen and invested back into the development of the economy".
Sounds all very nice and warm, until one realizes that there may be other people , (in army?) who would gladly take their share while the black money is being "re-invested".

Do you know that any Taka that you carry into Bangladesh in excess of "500 Tk" is "black" and "illegal"?

What is legal is that you bring in a load of dollars and then risk being hijacked by converting it in a bank in the city. As a result I myself was the owner of "black money" when I brought in 3000 Taka
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old February 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
How you gonna remove them if they do not want to go?

Well, you might be encouraged looking at our recent history. 1991-after the fall of Ershad, Army quitely went back to the barracks without any fuzz. All three recent elections,1991,1996 and 2001 were monitored by the Army and each time they went back. 2001-Operation 'Clean Heart', Army was deployed all over Bangladesh, they did their job and went back quitely.

I am inclined to believe that this is a professional bunch and know their place. There are no guarnatees but if I were to bet I'd bet they'll go back.

To specifically answer your concern-what other oprion did we have? We simply couldn't afford to let the country slip any further. At this point we don't have the luxury to ask these questions.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old February 5, 2007, 11:06 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

During the anti Ershad time there is such anti Ershad and anti Moudud sentiment that people show up to the street without any provocation. People are coming in the street to protest Ershad any way they can. People are not divided along the party line.

Ershad is hard to remove. He is stealing billions from every sector of the government. He is sharing fraction of the income with the secretary and army officers to get backing. These power full positions made millions just letting Ershad stay in power. This is the introduction of corruption in massive scale in our political system. Corruption is not wide spread in top down level during Mujeeb, Zia and Sattar era. Those time has story of corruption but not in this massive scale as Ershad time.

Ershad is articulate, smart and intelligent. Intelligent people can be smart thieves. Intelligent people can make articulate dictator as well. Ershad style corruption is the corruption that Bangladeshi people are suffering from now. Ershad is the father of modern day corruption which is organized and is in top down level. They are very hard to remove as poison has spread in the vein.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old February 5, 2007, 11:25 PM
nobody nobody is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: August 10, 2006
Posts: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
shAhriyar, u seem to know it all, so give me the proof which suggests my unc has taken all this so called money..show me a receipt, i want to see it formyself, but am tellin u this, ma manz innocent, he has been checked before by the bnp goverment and not a single penny had been found..same will happen this time..100% sure..

rite, am goin bak to count ma dollars now..inabit..
When people start to give reciept for Black money. Most of the cases transaction is done in cash. So there is no paper trail. There was a news in ManavJamin back in 1999 or early 2000. Your Aunt took money in a 5 pound DANO can for transfering a police officer from Narshingdi to Dhaka. The police officer in question is one of my friend's uncle in law and I used to go to school with his son. They verify the truth but also say that they would deny everything. Your uncle's corruption for giving monopolistic right to World Tel on lucretive Dhaka land market is quite well known.
By the way, can you tell me what is his source of income to lead a lavish life? What kind of business he is in? What is the name of his business concern?
You may fool the ordinary farmers, fishermen giving this kind of logic. But not here.
Proving 'not guilty' does not mean 'innocent'?
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old February 5, 2007, 11:57 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper

To specifically answer your concern-what other oprion did we have? We simply couldn't afford to let the country slip any further. At this point we don't have the luxury to ask these questions.
At this point we do not have the luxury to be lazy and not to ask these questions. This is the perfect time to ask the questions. This is the time to get answer. This is the time to be united in asking questions and getting results. Democracy requires work from citizen as well. A citizen should not hope their politicians to do the right thing if they themselves are lazy.

The option is simple. Do election on time. Election is the only way in democracy!! Beside election it is nothing but democracy. Our politicians have to participate in the poll on time and accept people's choice. Honest politicians understand that it is possible to serve country even as opposition.

Bangladeshi people have their responsibility to make sure honest people get to the government. Bangladeshi people need to encourage honest people to participate in the election and support them. We should not go for dhaner shish or nouka all the time. It is very simple, Bangladeshi people should vote for honest and smart people no matter what party they belong to. If 300 MP are honest that solves the entire problem. Bangladeshi people need to understand that solution is in their hand.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old February 6, 2007, 12:47 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
At this point we do not have the luxury to be lazy and not to ask these questions. This is the perfect time to ask the questions. This is the time to get answer. This is the time to be united in asking questions and getting results. Democracy requires work from citizen as well. A citizen should not hope their politicians to do the right thing if they themselves are lazy.
This is NOT a democracy. This is a state of emergency, in case you haven't notived, which means your ancileery and basic rights are not guaranteed. You can aske the questions, no problem, but do not expect answers. What you are describing is a perfect condition, we do not have that. I agree with we that in a democracy people must make their voices heard but again, this is NOT a democracy now.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old February 6, 2007, 12:55 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
The option is simple. Do election on time. Election is the only way in democracy!! Beside election it is nothing but democracy. Our politicians have to participate in the poll on time and accept people's choice. Honest politicians understand that it is possible to serve country even as opposition.
Election with what, whom? What are our choices? Honest Politicians? Where are they? They're being brushed aside even within their own party. This election driven democracy has made us champions in coppution five years running. Again, what you are describing is a perfect world. What we had in Bangladesh is an institutional form of democracy not TRUE democracy, bunch of thugs siting in the seat of power and holding 140 million people hostage to their whims. You can choose to be fastidius, I would rather be practical.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old February 6, 2007, 01:00 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Bangladeshi people have their responsibility to make sure honest people get to the government. Bangladeshi people need to encourage honest people to participate in the election and support them. We should not go for dhaner shish or nouka all the time. It is very simple, Bangladeshi people should vote for honest and smart people no matter what party they belong to. If 300 MP are honest that solves the entire problem. Bangladeshi people need to understand that solution is in their hand.
Please do not sell Bangladeshi people short. They are politically quite alert. They are not the problem. They voted out BNP in 1996 and voted out AL in 2001. If you had only thieves to choose from what would you choose, besides not making a choice? Where are those 300 honest candidate? Don't just use rhetoric, you gotta have something to back them up with.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old February 6, 2007, 01:41 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Sounds all very nice and warm, until one realizes that there may be other people , (in army?) who would gladly take their share while the black money is being "re-invested".

Do you know that any Taka that you carry into Bangladesh in excess of "500 Tk" is "black" and "illegal"?

What is legal is that you bring in a load of dollars and then risk being hijacked by converting it in a bank in the city. As a result I myself was the owner of "black money" when I brought in 3000 Taka

I am sure you know what kind of black money I am talking about. Money that doesnt belong to you or obtained through illegal means is black money. The 3000 taka you carried with you when you entered bangladesh will only be black money if you had earned it through dubious means in the first place.
If you think that freezing and trying to reinvest is not a good option because there might be other people who would take the money then we can never really recover. Such negative thoughts will not benefit us. I know you may be right but you must remember that all people are not corrupt. From what we see from this interim government is very positive and I doubt they will try to get their hands on money that might be recovered to reinvest for the development of the economy.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old February 6, 2007, 02:16 AM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Please do not sell Bangladeshi people short. They are politically quite alert. They are not the problem. They voted out BNP in 1996 and voted out AL in 2001. If you had only thieves to choose from what would you choose, besides not making a choice? Where are those 300 honest candidate? Don't just use rhetoric, you gotta have something to back them up with.
How can you say Bangladeshi people are politically alert? When Democracy has been stolen from bangladesh over and over again. Bangladesh can not hold an election on time. That is not a sign of politically alert people.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old February 6, 2007, 02:32 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
How can you say Bangladeshi people are politically alert? When Democracy has been stolen from bangladesh over and over again. Bangladesh can not hold an election on time. That is not a sign of politically alert people.
People voted within the choices that were available to them. They cannot 'invent' candidates. The fact that damocracy has been stolen from BD is an established fact, but who would you blame for it? Biut I for one don't anything to do with whatever it is that we had the last 15 years. And are you suggsting the present interim govt. stole democracy from BD? I submit that there never has been Democracy in BD, never. Whatever form of it we've practicing has nearly bankrupted the country. These are all big words we (pseudo) intellectuals like to use, they have no baring on common folk's lives.

I suggest we let he present govt. continue with this cleansing op., re-establish at least some of the agencies/institutions that have bee destroyed in the past 15 years then hold election NOT before that.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old February 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
How can you say Bangladeshi people are politically alert? When Democracy has been stolen from bangladesh over and over again. Bangladesh can not hold an election on time. That is not a sign of politically alert people.
No party has won consecutive elections in Bangladesh so far. Doesnt that show that the public are politically alert? They denounced the party in power because they failed. However lack of choice has bought back another bad party to power all times. Elections not being held on time does not show that the general public is not alert but shows the state of politics in BD. You have not answered gatekeeper's question on where are those 300 honest mp's you were talking about? He is right, since it seems you are just saying things which cannot be backed in reality.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old February 6, 2007, 03:45 AM
PoorFan PoorFan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: June 15, 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 14,333
Default ACC bosses step down Wednesday

Things are getting better and better.

Quote:
Anticorruption Commission chairman Sultan Hossain Khan Tuesday said he would resign along with two commissioners from the graft watchdog Wednesday. Sultan and commissioners Moniruzzaman Mia and Maniruddin Ahmed went to the Bangabhaban to meet President Iajuddin Ahmed. After the meeting, the ACC chairman broke the news on resignation to reporters shortly after 1pm.


bdnews24.com

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 6, 2007 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: mod.content:source link added
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old February 6, 2007, 05:03 AM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
People voted within the choices that were available to them. They cannot 'invent' candidates.
Then how come Dr. Kamal Hossain fail to win an election? He lost to a person who does not even has a school degree but he has 60 trucks. How can you explain this?

Quote:
The fact that damocracy has been stolen from BD is an established fact, but who would you blame for it? Biut I for one don't anything to do with whatever it is that we had the last 15 years.
You do not have to activly do anything. It is fine to do what you are doing in your life. You may keep yourself informed about situation and when time come vote for the honest person you think out there.

Quote:
I submit that there never has been Democracy in BD, never. Whatever form of it we've practicing has nearly bankrupted the country. These are all big words we (pseudo) intellectuals like to use, they have no baring on common folk's lives.
We let this thing happen. Bangladeshi people trust very quickly. We do not question. If it feels right we just go for it. This a weakness in our part. Smart people may take advantage of that.

Quote:
I suggest we let he present govt. continue with this cleansing op., re-establish at least some of the agencies/institutions that have bee destroyed in the past 15 years then hold election NOT before that.
more likely past 25 years. You do not think Ershad destroyed our institutions?
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old February 6, 2007, 08:47 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Then how come Dr. Kamal Hossain fail to win an election? He lost to a person who does not even has a school degree but he has 60 trucks. How can you explain this?
I suggest you do a little research on Kamal Hossain before declaring him a good cadidate. I am not going to even discuss the skeletons in his closet but the mere fact that he's never been elected, even aughta tell you something. Academic Education alone does not make you a fit candidate, you have to be electable. People's choice IS the final verdict, whether you like it or not. Periond.

That said, off course I would like to see more educated people in parliament then truck owners. But it is not the people's fault. You're making the same mistake again and again. Choices are very very limited to the people. They're simly playing with the hand dealt to them.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old February 6, 2007, 08:54 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
1. You do not have to activly do anything. It is fine to do what you are doing in your life. You may keep yourself informed about situation and when time come vote for the honest person you think out there.

2. We let this thing happen. Bangladeshi people trust very quickly. We do not question. If it feels right we just go for it. This a weakness in our part. Smart people may take advantage of that.

3. more likely past 25 years. You do not think Ershad destroyed our institutions?
1. Again, we're going around in circles. Choices, what are their choices? Where are those GOOD candidates.

2. Yes we trust very quickly. No, we do question and act. When push comes to shove Bangaldeshis have always acted out their frustrations.

3. Sure, not only 25 years, it probably started in the begining, 1971. Off course Ershad is a criminal but he is only one piece in the puzzle. All of them contributed starting from Sheikh Mujib.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old February 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,722

"Ali Asgar Lobi, former parliament member and president of Bangladesh Cricket Board, today surrendered to the joint forces."-thedailyStar
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old February 6, 2007, 12:47 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
1. Again, we're going around in circles. Choices, what are their choices? Where are those GOOD candidates.
.
I think Mr. Fazal can be a good candidate. I like to see Zunaid as an MP, he is a smart and a logical person.I would vote for any one of them. I will vote for Tehsin as well. Miraj... sure he is analytical. Orphy is very funny. Little humor always help. I will let you know the other as I come across. Thanks!

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket