facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 9, 2007, 10:34 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
Sorry - can you please be specific - who that "biggest criminal" is? By the way, highlighting someone by HE, I understand it means God as we usually refer God by HE with a capital H.
LOL. OK, I will make it he. Seems to me you are totally out of touch from BD. Keep guessing or totally ignore my post.

Old February 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
Sorry - can you please be specific - who that "biggest criminal" is? By the way, highlighting someone by HE, I understand it means God as we usually refer God by HE with a capital H.
Haha. Aray bhai, why would reverse_swing ask God to get house arrested?

He's referring to Tarek Zia. From what I've heard, he is actually under close observation...but as you know, nobody's sure of what's going on in there. Arresting him at this moment will be a crazy deal. With all the arrests being made of leaders from the big parties, it is highly unlikely that the CTG will let Tarek party around. So at least, from my part, I would assume he's under close observation, if not house arrested.

What's the benefit in keeing some behind bars, and the others loose? Definitely CTG will keep that in mind.
Old February 9, 2007, 10:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
LOL. OK, I will make it he. Seems to me you are totally out of touch from BD. Keep guessing or totally ignore my post.
Hai hai hai. E ami ki korlam. Ami to apnar mysterious he ke fash kore disi. Hai hai hai.
Old February 9, 2007, 10:50 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Hai hai hai. E ami ki korlam. Ami to apnar mysterious he ke fash kore disi. Hai hai hai.
Don't tell this loudly.

Old February 9, 2007, 10:59 AM
Cricket Guru

AKM Mosharraf has been sent on a 30-day detention. Court ordered it today.

And here's a picture of him...seems really excited for the dudu-bhatu waiting for him behind the bars. Shameless creature.

bdnews24.com
Old February 9, 2007, 01:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Well, CG yet to capture biggest criminal of BD history. There is a rumour that he is in house arrest. Can anybody confirm this?
"His/his" outdoor activities in past few days:
1. "He/he" takes his daughter to her school.
2. "He/he" has been reported to visit "JAIJAIDIN" building/complex.

Otherwise "He/he" has been under "limited outdoor activities".
Sources: "JJD" and "Prothom Alo"; if anyone wants, I would dig out the date and link. Otherwise trust on that.
Old February 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Army has no intention to capture power
Army chief Lt Gen Moeen also says armed forces not running country, under new situation politicians won't be able to do politics squandering money
Unb, Bandarban

Army Chief Lt General Moeen U Ahmed yesterday categorically said the military has no intention to capture power or run the government, but they are assisting the caretaker government to put the country back on the right track."The army has no intention to take over. We are not even running the government. But we like to see this government successful as we want to put the country on the right track through concerted efforts of all," he said.
..........................In an apparent emotion-choked voice, the army chief said the country was destroyed in last 35 years. He likened the predicament of the country to a derailed train.
"We need a heavy crane to put the train back on the track--and strength of the people is the crane. Once you can put the train on the track, it will move smoothly," he said in metaphorical terms about the imperative of a rescue operation in such situation.
Citing corruption an example of degeneration of the polity, the general deplored that because of disputes over who will get the "10 percent" kickbacks, a $ 200m machine-readable passport project could not be implemented.
He said government provides subsidy for fertiliser to help the poor farmers, but, unfortunately, those fertilisers were smuggled out of the country by the vested quarters.
Referring to recent incidents of arson in garment factories that earn 70 percent of country's foreign exchange, General Moeen deplored that this export industry was burnt and destroyed in a planned way. "There is politics behind it," he said, adding, "We even do not try to understand our own well-being."
" We have eaten up the vitals of the country over the years, leaving the country like a skeleton."
About national or voter ID card, General Moeen said some intellectuals said that it will require Tk 1000 crore and five years time. But, he said they have made a calculation that suggests that ID card for the voters is possible within 10-12 months at an estimated cost of Tk 300 crore......................

DS>>

It is the "Pay Back" time for the army.

After their contribution in the liberation war, they owe to this country for something like this. I wont bring forward their "legendary" performances to destroy the civil society in the name of "good -autocracy" here.

They are long due to play a role for the country by not being pivotal in the ruling system but by assisting the government.
Old February 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pion
"His/his" outdoor activities in past few days:
1. "He/he" takes his daughter to her school.
2. "He/he" has been reported to visit "JAIJAIDIN" building/complex.

Otherwise "He/he" has been under "limited outdoor activities".
Sources: "JJD" and "Prothom Alo"; if anyone wants, I would dig out the date and link. Otherwise trust on that.
Thanks for this info! Well, it will be very difficult for CG to bring criminal charges directly against Him as He does all the business through His syndicate.

Old February 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Hahaha.. ok then. Cheers!
Old February 10, 2007, 02:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Joint forces seized 700 corrugated iron sheets marked "Relief materials of Relief and Rehabilitation Department: Not for sale" which were used for building structures at factory site of former BNP lawmaker Mosaddak Ali Falu in Saver. PHOTO: STAR

Hai Hai Falu what you have done !!!! shesh porjonto "Relief Choori"?
Old February 10, 2007, 02:51 PM
Cricket Guru

BNP othoba AL...shob e eki gowaler goru. Relief er maal churi kore...can't believe what I'm seeing. Can't BD policy change to say: "Any politician should take an ethics course to meet the minimum criteria to get into politics."????
Old February 10, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
BNP othoba AL...shob e eki gowaler goru. Relief er maal churi kore...can't believe what I'm seeing. Can't BD policy change to say: "Any politician should take an ethics course to meet the minimum criteria to get into politics."????
Just a course won't help, a thorough military style training is required.
Old February 12, 2007, 11:48 PM
Cricket Guru

News update - the politicians are being sent to different jails. This kind of shuffling may be required to keep the trouble away from Dhaka at one central location which may pose some threat. However, is this a different way of sending them to discrete places where they will live a free life, coz then not everybody will be under the spotlight?

Two things caught my eyes:
1. The politicians are now being termed as "inmates"...whereas all these days they were still called the politicians.
2. The word "inmate" implicitly brings down these arrestees to "koyedis". So far, they've been termed as "detainees".

Quote:
20 high-profile inmates shunted away from Dhaka

Dhaka, Feb 12 (bdnews24.com) – Jailors have shunted 20 high-profile arrestees of different political hues to district jails—mostly far from Dhaka.

Jail authorities took into account the "physical and psychological conditions" of the inmates.

The arrestees ended up behind bars after they were captured on charges of corruption and conspiracies against the state.

Two leaders from the same political fold have been sent together to each of the 10 jails.

Deputy inspector general (prisons) Shamsul Haider Siddique told bdnews24.com: "Considering their physical and psychological conditions, jail authorities decided to transfer the arrestees to different jails."

Siddique said the last prison van left the Dhaka Central Jail at 10.40pm Monday.

A jailor said former prime minister Khaleda Zia's parliamentary affairs adviser Salahuddin Quader Choudhury was sent to Rangpur jail, along with former minister Nazmul Huda.

Former state ministers Amanullah Aman and Iqbal Hasan Mahmud were shifted to Chittagong jail.

The jail authorities sent former finance minister Saifur Rahman's son Naser Rahman and former BNP lawmaker Ali Asghar Loby to Comilla jail.

Former BNP lawmaker Mosaddak Ali Falu and former state minister Salahuddin Ahmed are now in Khulna jail. Ex-lawmaker from the BNP Manjurul Ahsan Munshi and former state minister Mir Nasir Uddin Ahmed were sent to Bogra jail.

On the Awami League front, former home minister Mohammad Nasim and former lawmaker ANH Mostafa Kamal were sent to Sylhet jail.

AL chief Sheikh Hasina's adviser Salman F Rahman was taken to Mymensingh jail, along with senior nayeb-e-amir of Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish Mufti Shahidul Islam.

Ex-state minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir and former lawmaker Kamal Ahmed Majumdar were taken to Kashimpur jail-1.

Hasina's assistant private secretary Awlad Hossain and personal assistant Mahmud Hasan Bablu were taken to Kashimpur jail-2.

Awami Swechchhasevak League general secretary Pankaj Devnath was sent to Narayanganj jail, together with Sudha Sadan staff Firoz Mia.
Source: bdnews24.com
Old February 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
Cricket Legend

A reasonably accurate depiction of the situation in Bangladesh. A welcome change, as BBC articles often are very critical of military rule in other countries and seem to repeat the mantra that a corrupt and chaotic democracy like Bangladesh is still better than the best military rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6342241.stm

Bangladesh's split personality

By Jill McGivering
BBC News, Dhaka

Most Bangladeshis are tired of ceaseless political bickering

Enlarge Image

Democratic elections postponed indefinitely - and a state of emergency imposed. It is a scenario which might suggest suppressed civil unrest, the heavy hand of security forces and a frightening increase in tension.

But in Bangladesh, the reality has been very different.
After months of political protest and strikes, the latest round of the perennial feuding between the two main parties, the Awami League and the BNP, the mood in Dhaka under its new caretaker government is one of calm and relief.
Most people, it seemed, had felt the impact of more than enough political fireworks. Better to have stability and a chance to return to normal daily life, people told me, than to carry on with political dramas and elections which no-one expected to deliver reform or real change.
Confidence dented

Garment factory owner (and former general secretary of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturer and Exporters' Association), Annisul Huq, put it most bluntly, as he showed me round one of his busy garment factories.
Several hundred of his 7,000 employees, almost all women, were sitting at small tables in pairs, cutting, stitching and checking shirts for the US market and, downstairs, sweaters for Europe.
The garment industry is an important source of employment

The recent series of national strikes, called by an opposition alliance led by the Awami League, had hit his business hard, said Mr Huq.
Orders had been lost, customers' confidence dented and the country's image as a reliable manufacturer badly tarnished.
It would take him until the end of this year, he said, to make up the losses - and that was assuming there were no more disruptions.
"I'm sure, when you are in England, you think: oh, army is there, people are suffering!" he told me. "But when you are in the field, you can see, people welcome them because we don't appreciate the conflicting political rivalry. Civil society is very vocal against it."
"People are very happy now," he went on. "They want to get rid of this political conflict. They want democracy, for sure, but they also want peace, they want economic growth."
Bangladesh is suffering from a split personality. Its private sector, galvanised by entrepreneurs like Mr Huq, is healthy and thriving. The economy is growing at a steady six to seven per cent a year.
Dhaka is buzzing with energy and commerce. The clatter and grind of new construction resonates on every corner.
Bribes and bureaucrats
But its organs of state are fundamentally sick, suffering from inefficiency, corruption and politicisation. The tension between the two is becoming unbearable - and causing growing pressure for reform.
Anecdotal evidence of the ill-health is everywhere. I met Rashidul, a driver of one of the hundreds of auto-rickshaws that weave dangerously through Dhaka's traffic.
Many in Bangladesh remain in poverty

Every week, he said, he is stopped by the local police. They find a pretext, he said, from the state of his paperwork to the colour of his lunghi (wrap), to ask for a bribe. To get any work done in this country, he told me, you have to pay out at every turn, to the bureaucrats and to the police.
It was a familiar story. In one of Dhaka's slums, Rupnagar, I met a family who live in a corrugated iron and wood semi-permanent shack, built on government land.
They had recently managed to get their gas, water and electricity supply connected, they told me - but only after months of endless waiting in government offices and plenty of smoothing the way with bribes.
Corruption, I was told by everyone I met, is endemic in public life.
Civil society is growing and strengthening but Bangladesh is still one of the world's poorest countries. Almost half its population lives on less than a dollar a day.
To some, the priority is to alleviate poverty. As well as being an important goal in itself, the hope is that increasing demand for clean, accountable governance will also flow naturally once a greater percentage of the population rises above the poverty line.
Political parties have been urged to do more to help ordinary people

Fazle Hasan Abed is one of the towering figures in Bangladesh's modern development.
Along with his better known counterpart, Professor Yunus, the founder of the Grameen Bank and now Nobel Laureate, Mr Abed too has played a key role in shaping changes in Bangladeshi society.
'Grassroots democracy'
Mr Abed's contribution was the founding of the mammoth non-government organisation, BRAC, 35 years ago. He is still its chairman.
BRAC has multiple grassroots programmes. Many focus on supporting the country's rural women. It has proved so successful that it has also launched programmes in Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and several African countries.
In a rare interview in BRAC's gleaming modern offices, Mr Abed, who presents as a gentle and mild-mannered man, described his own hopes for political change.
"What we were hoping for," he said, "was a kind of grassroots democracy we were trying to build in the countryside. You see the beginnings of people power. But it's not yet apparent."
As for the future, he said, the current crisis could well prove a turning point.
"I'm hoping this particular process will bring about dramatic, positive change," he told me, "in the way our politicians operate and behave and run our country.
"I hope it will change for the better and they would look at the interests of the people, rather than the interests of the parties and of themselves."
Old February 18, 2007, 08:44 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Anti Corruption Commission lists top 50 corrupt and ordered them to submit wealth statement within 72 hours. I've added the affiliation, please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
he Anticorruption Commission Sunday published a list of 50 people, mostly politicians, who face allegations of corruption.

ACC asked them to submit wealth statements in 72 hours from notification.

The corruption watchdog made the move under an amended Emergency Powers Ordinance.

The listed people are:

1. Barrister Nazmul Huda - BNP
2. Salahuddin Quader Choudhury - BNP
3. Mohammad Nasim - AL
4. Tariqul Islam - BNP
5. Mirza Abbas - BNP
6. Abul Hasnat Abdullah - AL
7. Salman F Rahman - AL
8. Haris Chowdhury - BNP
9. Giasuddin Al Mamun - Pro BNP Businessman
10. Dr HBM Iqbal - AL
11. Mosaddak Ali Falu - BNP
12. Engineer Mosharraf Hossain - AL (Hasina's বেয়াই, মেয়ের শ্বশুর
13. Ruhul Quddus Talukder Dulu - BNP
14. Nurul Islam Babul - pro AL busniessman (Jugantor owner)
15. Akhteruzzaman Chowdhury Babu - AL
16. Nasiruddin Ahmed Pintu - BNP
17. Haji Selim - AL
18. Shamim Osman - AL
19. Ahmed Akbar Sobhan - Business man (Bashudhara group owner)
20. Mir Mohammad Nasiruddin - FBCCI leader ?
21. Amanullah Aman - BNP
22. Mofazzal Hossain Chowdhury Maya, - AL
23. Joynal Hazari - AL
24. Ali Asgar Loby - BNP
25. Jahangir Kabir Nanok - AL
26. Pankaj Debnath - AL
27. Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan - BNP
28. Hafiz Ibrahim - BNP
29. AHM Mostafa Kamal (Lotus Kamal) - AL
30. Mufti Shahidul Islam - Khelafat Majlish (AL ally)
31. Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir - AL
32. Mirza Azam - AL
33. Naser Rahman - BNP
34. Salahuddin Ahmed (former state minister) - BNP
35. Iqbal Hasan Mahmud Tuku - BNP
36. Ward commissioner Abdul Qaiyum - ??
37. ANH Akhter Hossain - Former secretary Power Ministry
38. NBR member Zahurul Haque - ?
39. Engineer Manzurul Ahsan Munshi - BNP
40. Hajji Mokbul Hossain - AL
41. Ward commissioner Chowdhury Alam - BNP
42. Mohammad Giasuddin (former Narayanganj MP) - BNP
43. Ariful Haque Chowhudry - BNP Sylhet leader
44. Rashiduzzaman Millat - ?
45. Former Demra MP Salauddin Ahmed - BNP
46. Mohiuddin Ahmed (Munshiganj) - AL
47. Mostafa Rashid-e-Shuja - AL
48. Shahjahan Chowdhury - Jammat E Islami
49. BM Bakir Hossain - CBA leader (BNP backed)
50. Firoz Mia - CBA Leader (BNP backed)
From BDNews

In the list,

BNP and pro BNP - 23
AL and ally - 20
Jamaat -1
No clear identity - 6

Last edited by Miraz; February 18, 2007 at 08:55 AM..
Old February 18, 2007, 09:28 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Here's is some of Bangladesh's 'Surjo Sontan'

Old February 18, 2007, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Anti Corruption Commission lists top 50 corrupt and ordered them to submit wealth statement within 72 hours. I've added the affiliation, please correct me if I am wrong.

From BDNews

In the list,

BNP and pro BNP - 23
AL and ally - 20
Jamaat -1
No clear identity - 6
How on earth is Obaidul Karim of Orion group missing from this list !!! He will top the list among these boys as he is "The man" when it comes to financial scams.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:20 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
How on earth is Obaidul Karim of Orion group missing from this list !!! He will top the list among these boys as he is "The man" when it comes to financial scams.
Spot on!! Also Shafiq Rehman and Kazi shahed are missing. The way this Obaidul Karim and Tareq's syndicate manipulated everything in Energy sector IMHO this is one of the most organized crime in recent history. Khamba Ltd is enough to hang these people.

Old February 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I just read in the DS that the list of the 50 is not a ranking of the most corrupt and these are the primary names that came up in the ACC's investigations. Its all well and good but why Orion group chief's name did not come up in the investigation is a mystery. Most people only know about his scams during the last 5 years . I know about his scams that date back to the early 90's and he was also a major player in the 96 share market scam along with Salman Rahman who he has elllipsed in financial scamming since then.
Reverse swing bhai, when you mention Kazi Shahed is he the one who is the owner of a bangla daily among many other things? That guy is my neighbour back in Dhaka. I dont know much about him professionally except that he is super rich but no information about him regarding his scams but I have heard rumours about the man.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I just read in the DS that the list of the 50 is not a ranking of the most corrupt and these are the primary names that came up in the ACC's investigations. Its all well and good but why Orion group chief's name did not come up in the investigation is a mystery. Most people only know about his scams during the last 5 years . I know about his scams that date back to the early 90's and he was also a major player in the 96 share market scam along with Salman Rahman who he has elllipsed in financial scamming since then.
Reverse swing bhai, when you mention Kazi Shahed is he the one who is the owner of a bangla daily among many other things? That guy is my neighbour back in Dhaka. I dont know much about him professionally except that he is super rich but no information about him regarding his scams but I have heard rumours about the man.
Yup the owner of Ajker Kagoj.

Old February 18, 2007, 10:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

The name of the prince is missing.
Old February 22, 2007, 08:37 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Goverment appointed Lt. General Hasan Mashhud Chowdhury as the chairman of Anti Corruption Commission.

This is a good move and I hope he will take bold steps to curb corruption and net corrupts.
Old February 22, 2007, 08:50 AM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Goverment appointed Lt. General Hasan Mashhud Chowdhury as the chairman of Anti Corruption Commission.

This is a good move and I hope he will take bold steps to curb corruption and net corrupts.
great news!

Old February 22, 2007, 08:57 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

BDNews has got some more detail

Quote:
Ex-army chief Hasan Mashhud Chowdhury has been appointed chairman to the Anticorruption Commission.

AH Manzur Mannan, former member of the National Board of Revenue, has been appointed as commissioner to the graft watchdog, the Press Information Department said in a statement Thursday.

Former district judge Habibur Rahman is the third commissioner to the ACC.

The appointments are part of the interim government's broader measure to recast the sleaze watchdog.
Old February 22, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Interesting move. Hasan C. has been one of the most honest Army Generals ever. His capacity, however, is questionable. I hope I'm wrong.