facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #476  
Old March 8, 2007, 06:56 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,249

I hope khaleda's and Hasina's family do not return to our politics. These two parties had their chance; they spoiled it by looting the country. I want election with new parties and new people leading them. This 2 parties and their thieves supporters should spend rest of their time in jail.
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old March 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
Alien's Avatar
Alien Alien is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Vladivostok
Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Posts: 2,939

Daily Star is having great time belting out at Tarek Rahman. No wonder people question it's neutrality.

How could BNP come to this stage?
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old March 9, 2007, 02:01 AM
nsd3 nsd3 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 30, 2004
Location: Auckland to Sydney
Posts: 2,566

It may be a rumour but can someone verify:
Mamun - right hand of Tareq Zia has been severly tortured and some were afraid he might be half-dead because of this treatment. He has been under detention and perhaps authority doesn't want him to show in public in this condition and kept him under detention.

This has been a strong 'rumour'. Anyone has any info?
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old March 9, 2007, 02:40 AM
rio rio is offline
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 11, 2004
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Favorite Player: Shakib
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Daily Star is having great time belting out at Tarek Rahman. No wonder people question it's neutrality.

How could BNP come to this stage?
Belting out at Tareq Zia is in not making DS anti-BNP. It's a pro-Bangladesh thing.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old March 9, 2007, 05:27 AM
Banglatiger84 Banglatiger84 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 1, 2003
Posts: 2,703

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
Belting out at Tareq Zia is in not making DS anti-BNP. It's a pro-Bangladesh thing.

Yes it is pro Bangladeshi, but it makes DS anti-BNP when they refrain from strongly criticizing Al actions but dont hesitate inc riticisng BNP.

Not that I care about either of those 2 thieves!
Reply With Quote
  #481  
Old March 9, 2007, 08:33 AM
Alien's Avatar
Alien Alien is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: July 19, 2006
Location: Vladivostok
Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Posts: 2,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
Belting out at Tareq Zia is in not making DS anti-BNP. It's a pro-Bangladesh thing.
It's only pro-Bangladesh thing when both crooks get spanked at the same time. Mahfuz Anam's column has more BAL-tone than BAL website articles, thats if you follow Daily Star.
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old March 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
It may be a rumour but can someone verify:
Mamun - right hand of Tareq Zia has been severly tortured and some were afraid he might be half-dead because of this treatment. He has been under detention and perhaps authority doesn't want him to show in public in this condition and kept him under detention.

This has been a strong 'rumour'. Anyone has any info?
I heard that after he was arrested, he didn't talk for a few days. So as you know, the Bangladeshi non-pharmaceutical medicine is Bangla-dholai. But what I've read in newspapers is that he's now giving quite a lot of detailed info about Tarek's wealth outside Bangladesh, and that's why he's been taken by the authority to those countries that Tarek allegedly has invested in. I know that in Malayasia he owns a mall (which someone quite interestingly pointed out as the biggest mall in the world...joker!!!), and definitely he'ld have some kind of property in UK, US, and Australia (3 big spots for investing your chorai maal).

Having said all these, I think the reason Mamun's not shown on TV is bcoz he's in world tour right now...but may be mair kheye ore thota mukh bhota hoye gese. Only time will tell. Personally, I wouldn't worry about these criminals. My philosophy is, human rights should be observed for those people who themselves observe it. If people don't observe it, then they don't fall under that policy.
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old March 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
My philosophy is, human rights should be observed for those people who themselves observe it. If people don't observe it, then they don't fall under that policy.

Right. If you want to treat advance stage cancer you need harsh medicine like chemo, simple aspirin regimen would kill the patient.
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old March 9, 2007, 09:25 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
(which someone quite interestingly pointed out as the biggest mall in the world...joker!!!), .

This is quite common in BD newpapers. The other day I was reading that they siezed someone's Hummer (BTW, they wrote Hammer in Bangla) and the cost of the vehicle in 7 crore, which is over a million dollars! They often don't bother checking the facts.
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old March 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Rabz's Avatar
Rabz Rabz is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative
 
Join Date: February 28, 2005
Location: Here
Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket
Posts: 20,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
This is quite common in BD newpapers. The other day I was reading that they siezed someone's Hummer (BTW, they wrote Hammer in Bangla) and the cost of the vehicle in 7 crore, which is over a million dollars! They often don't bother checking the facts.
its not just the cost of the hummer my friend...
u also have to take account of the tax and import duty you hv to pay for the car...
and remember, BD got a very high tax rate on those suv's...

Lets just say... a H3 would cost you around USD 50,000 ( if im not mistaken)...
which is around BDT 3,500,000....
but then u hv tax+import duty+registration... it would near a total of around a crore taka...


but the truth is, they paid only 35 lakh taka for it... this guys knows how to cheat the system and in the process the govt would loose out on massive income from the all those added costs...

its true our journos dont check the facts..but then again..how many people in BD have ever heard a "car" named "Hummer" ?
__________________
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Last edited by Rabz; March 9, 2007 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old March 9, 2007, 10:36 AM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 25,215

There were only two hummers in Dhaka, one yellow and and one white. One driven by Khaleda's bodyguards (while PM). The tax is 200% on new SUVs/sports cars (BMWs/Benz/Porche etc.). So if a car is 90k (US dollars) the car price goes to $270k. aquivalent to 1.8 crore Bd taka.

Now I know there are lamborghinis, bugattis and ferraris which cost $250k. If those are brought in BD it will be something like 6/8 crore easy. When politicians steal thousands of crores 6/8 crore is nothing to them.
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old March 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
its not just the cost of the hummer my friend...
u also have to take account of the tax and import duty you hv to pay for the car...
and remember, BD got a very high tax rate on those suv's...

Lets just say... a H3 would cost you around USD 50,000 ( if im not mistaken)...
which is around BDT 3,500,000....
but then u hv tax+import duty+registration... it would near a total of around a crore taka...


but the truth is, they paid only 35 lakh taka for it... this guys knows how to cheat the system and in the process the govt would loose out on massive income from the all those added costs...

its true our journos dont check the facts..but then again..how many people in BD have ever heard a "car" named "Hummer" ?

MY FRIEND, do the calculation yourself. The final figure is nowhere near 7 crore.

I am quite aware of import duties and othe taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old March 9, 2007, 11:42 AM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
There were only two hummers in Dhaka, one yellow and and one white. One driven by Khaleda's bodyguards (while PM). The tax is 200% on new SUVs/sports cars (BMWs/Benz/Porche etc.). So if a car is 90k (US dollars) the car price goes to $270k. aquivalent to 1.8 crore Bd taka.

Now I know there are lamborghinis, bugattis and ferraris which cost $250k. If those are brought in BD it will be something like 6/8 crore easy. When politicians steal thousands of crores 6/8 crore is nothing to them.
A small correction.I think there are more than 2 hummers in Bangladesh. Partex group itself has two hummers. There is a yellow one where I live in Dhaka, the black one of Enayet and the white one you are talking about. These are the ones I know of and maybe there might be more.
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old March 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
akabir77's Avatar
akabir77 akabir77 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 23, 2004
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok
Posts: 10,768

Funny thing is all that money for the driver to drive the car lucky SOB. Hammer driver that is...
__________________
1. Shahadat Hossain: Mufambisi c Mashud; Chigumbura lbw; Utseya c Mashud
2.
Abdur Razzak: P Utseya caught; RW Price lbw; CB Mpofu lbw
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught

Last edited by akabir77; March 9, 2007 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old March 9, 2007, 11:44 AM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

AL thug Obaidul Kader in the bag.
Reply With Quote
  #491  
Old March 9, 2007, 11:53 AM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
This is quite common in BD newpapers. The other day I was reading that they siezed someone's Hummer (BTW, they wrote Hammer in Bangla) and the cost of the vehicle in 7 crore, which is over a million dollars! They often don't bother checking the facts.
A fully loaded Hummer may cost you close to USD 70K. But the fact of the matter is, there is literally only a few people who can afford Hummber in Bangladesh without kalo taka. When I left BD there wasn't a Hummer there, but now there's two. There wasn't a Ferrari or Porche, Lamborgini, etc. Now there's all that. How? Did the country get richer? I guess not. But reports say that some of these politicians' wealth have increased over 400% in just 2 years.

The fact of the matter is, yes may be the numbers don't convert properly even after 200% tax and what not. But that doesn't negate the fact that these are expensive vehicles that not even 0.00001% of the people of our country can afford.
Reply With Quote
  #492  
Old March 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
gatekeeper gatekeeper is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 1, 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
A fully loaded Hummer may cost you close to USD 70K. But the fact of the matter is, there is literally only a few people who can afford Hummber in Bangladesh without kalo taka. When I left BD there wasn't a Hummer there, but now there's two. There wasn't a Ferrari or Porche, Lamborgini, etc. Now there's all that. How? Did the country get richer? I guess not. But reports say that some of these politicians' wealth have increased over 400% in just 2 years.

The fact of the matter is, yes may be the numbers don't convert properly even after 200% tax and what not. But that doesn't negate the fact that these are expensive vehicles that not even 0.00001% of the people of our country can afford.
My argument is not about the affordabilty or the actual price of a Hummer. I was refering to the irresponsible practice of certain sectors of BD media.
Reply With Quote
  #493  
Old March 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
Duck's Avatar
Duck Duck is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 15, 2005
Location: Hotlanta, GA
Posts: 1,757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
It's only pro-Bangladesh thing when both crooks get spanked at the same time. Mahfuz Anam's column has more BAL-tone than BAL website articles, thats if you follow Daily Star.
Does it matter what is the tone? It matters whether it is true or not.
Truth is always bitter.


Here is the prescription for you:
You need to take some sweets while you are reading the Daily Star. Atleast lick some chocolates.

__________________
\"Dont glitter but shine on"\
Reply With Quote
  #494  
Old March 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
allrounder's Avatar
allrounder allrounder is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: September 4, 2003
Posts: 3,761

what is up with these big politicians and businessman to have a mini zoo at their backyard, with deers, peacock and other wildlife caged at their homes?
__________________
Durgomo giri kantar moru dustoro parabar he
Longhite hobe ratri nishithe jatrira hushiar.
Reply With Quote
  #495  
Old March 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

Mmmmm duck_pion, that chocolate figure looks so tasty. I never thought I'ld find a frog tasty :p
Reply With Quote
  #496  
Old March 9, 2007, 04:35 PM
akabir77's Avatar
akabir77 akabir77 is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 23, 2004
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok
Posts: 10,768

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
what is up with these big politicians and businessman to have a mini zoo at their backyard, with deers, peacock and other wildlife caged at their homes?
I know the bal party guy from mirpur (i forgot his name and he is my relative!!!) got an royal bengol tiger in his summer house in shaber...
__________________
1. Shahadat Hossain: Mufambisi c Mashud; Chigumbura lbw; Utseya c Mashud
2.
Abdur Razzak: P Utseya caught; RW Price lbw; CB Mpofu lbw
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old March 9, 2007, 04:45 PM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 25,215

having deer or peacock is silly stuff. The Govt don't even need to go there. Anyone can have two deers (bought from the zoo) and they multiply. That's all legal. Govt need to focus on the real black money issues. The crores deals. Was anyone from Boshunddhora group of industry got any indictment?
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old March 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
Faceoff's Avatar
Faceoff Faceoff is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 16, 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,271

One Hummer went from here in Dallas. One of our school friend bought it and send it to BD !!!
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old March 9, 2007, 05:42 PM
babubangla's Avatar
babubangla babubangla is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 28, 2004
Location: TN, USA
Posts: 3,297

WOW....You guys know the exact numbers of Hummers in Dhaka with their colors!!
You must have good eyes for observing vehicles.
By the way, how many Corollas are there?
__________________
JONONI JONMOVUMISHCHO SWARGADOPI GORIOSI
জননী জন্মভূমিশ্চ স্বর্গাদপি গরিয়সী
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old March 9, 2007, 05:49 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
WOW....You guys know the exact numbers of Hummers in Dhaka with their colors!!
You must have good eyes for observing vehicles.
By the way, how many Corollas are there?
5555555
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket