facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 9, 2007, 05:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
WOW....You guys know the exact numbers of Hummers in Dhaka with their colors!!
You must have good eyes for observing vehicles.
By the way, how many Corollas are there?
Last count I had at Dhaka, 17,846 running condition. 1,380 more at dholai khal. 40 at Eskaton getting fixed. Now if you ask lx and dx then I can't answer.

For sure in 2003 december there were only two Hummers in Dhaka. I can tell you how many Porsche Carera are there now. Two. One in back order which would make a total count of 3. Do you need info in BMW 7 series?
Old March 10, 2007, 12:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Default 3-wheeled Limo (3WL)

I remember my days in Dhaka, when I used to travel to places on my 3-wheeled Limo (3WL). The service was exquisite, and the service would pick you up and drop you off to places of your choice. Having the luxury of taking these 3WL anywhere whatsoever made them the best and most luxurious means of transportaion in Bangladesh. Among other things, following are the mentionable benefits of the 3WL, and only exclusive to the 3WL.

- Fresh air, any time of the day.
- The only convertible that you can use to even get wet in rain.
- Top of the line decoration in every possible area of the 3WL.
- Natural, cost-effective, and environment friendly AC.

The only thing that's mentionable is, the drivers of such 3WL are very poorly treated by anyone riding them. It kills me when I see riders call the drivers of 3WL saying "tui" even though the drivers are considerably older than the riders.

Tigers_eye: I understand you have several years of dholai experience in dholai khal, but do you know how many 3WL are there on average in a 3WL-Garage?
Old March 10, 2007, 06:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Obaidul Kader from BAL got arrested yesterday.

Obaidul Quader arrested, ex-Jamaat MP surrenders

The ACC or whoever should raid Daily Star office and permanently ban it to find out how much money they pour into DS's coffers to be BAL's mouth piece. Rather than having a 3 page article which Tareq's arrest made including Mahfuz Anam's special history lesson of Tareq's corruption history, this article rather swiftly moved on to some Jamaat MP's surrender.
Old March 10, 2007, 06:58 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien

The ACC or whoever should raid Daily Star office and permanently ban it to find out how much money they pour into DS's coffers to be BAL's mouth piece. Rather than having a 3 page article which Tareq's arrest made including Mahfuz Anam's special history lesson of Tareq's corruption history, this article rather swiftly moved on to some Jamaat MP's surrender.
Why are you so concerned about Daily Star's neutrality. Most of the national dailies are biased too. Tareq took corruption to a new level, so there should be numerous articles on that. And don't worry about how much column space Obaidul's arrest got, cause these corrupt people won't be spared even if their arrest got little media coverage.

Your thinking that BAL poured money into DS to influence their reporting doesn't make sense. If money was needed to influence DS then Tareq has it more than anybody else in Bangladesh. There is more to it than money.

Last edited by rio; March 10, 2007 at 07:24 AM..
Old March 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Lashing out to new comers for joining politics was not nice from Daily Star. I am more dissapointed on daily star because of that. Their poltical identetity is for AL. It is clear from now on.
Old March 10, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pion
Truth is always bitter.
Ha Ha Ha..... so true ... so true....

regardless of political affiliation, when all people are prasing cleansing "operation 420" whether its BNP, AL, Jamat, JP or corrupt Businessman or Government official, few looks like having hard time removing the party hat... its stuck in their head forever... therefore unable to see the BIG picture.... the landscape is changing for Good ... at least thats what looks like so far .... so far so good....

While some people whine about which 420 gets more or less media time....which 420 is more or less evil.....it doesn't matter to me..... I have no complain but just enjoy these happy moments as long as it lasts.
Old March 10, 2007, 09:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Tareq Zia knows Money Talks. So, he bought Shafiq Rehman and JaiJaiDIn. Which worked for Tareq's mouth Piece. Alas! Tareq could not buy DS. So, you feel like it is telling the lies. But it is telling truth, which is always bitter to accept.
Old March 10, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Tareq Zia knows Money Talks. So, he bought Shafiq Rehman and JaiJaiDIn. Which worked for Tareq's mouth Piece. Alas! Tareq could not buy DS. So, you feel like it is telling the lies. But it is telling truth, which is always bitter to accept.
Keep living in La La land.

DS reports truth but only one-sided truth. Someone who criticizes one criminal while staying silent in case of another is not being truthful
Old March 10, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84

DS reports truth but only one-sided truth. Someone who criticizes one criminal while staying silent in case of another is not being truthful
is it always necessary to critize both sides? tareq as a criminal aka chor aka dakat is the second to none in Bangladesh. how DS will critisize other side?
Old March 10, 2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Mmmmm duck_pion, that chocolate figure looks so tasty. I never thought I'ld find a frog tasty :p
try fried frog-legs
Old March 10, 2007, 04:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84

If everyone else is telling the BOTH-SIDED LIES, then it is better to stick to the ONE-SIDED Truth. Won't you?
Old March 11, 2007, 12:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Last count I had at Dhaka, 17,846 running condition. 1,380 more at dholai khal. 40 at Eskaton getting fixed. Now if you ask lx and dx then I can't answer.

For sure in 2003 december there were only two Hummers in Dhaka. I can tell you how many Porsche Carera are there now. Two. One in back order which would make a total count of 3. Do you need info in BMW 7 series?
Luxury car lies abandoned on roadside
Our Correspondent . Barisal
A brand new Toyota Rum car, which was once the symbol of pride and status of its owner, was found motionless on the side of Barisal-Dhaka highway.
Police recovered the car worth about Tk 40 lakh, parked at the highway side at West Shikarpur of Uzirpur, Thursday night.
The car, left abandoned by its unidentified owner, did not have any number plate and documents.
Mizanur Rahman, assistant police super, said the police, being informed by local people, took the car in their custody on Friday.
Uzirpur police sent messages to land and port customs as well as road transport authorities quoting chassis and engine number and other details of the car to find out its purchaser.
Police believed the car was left after the anti-corruption drive started against the illegal selling of duty-free cars purchased by lawmakers.

http://www.newagebd.com/front.html#e
Old March 11, 2007, 12:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Duty-free car import
facility for MPs may go
Nazmul Ahsan
The interim government is mulling over scrapping the duty-free vehicle import facility of lawmakers to check massive misuses of the coveted privilege and end the duty discrimination, highly-placed sources in the government have told New Age.
The proposal for scrapping the facility would soon be placed at the council meeting of the advisers, sources confirmed.
The privilege cost the exchequer around Tk 211 crore in foregone revenues between October 2001 and October 2006, when 303 luxury vehicles were imported duty-free in the name of lawmakers, reveals a recent study of National Board of Revenue.
The facility was agreed upon unanimously by treasury and opposition members in May, 1988, setting a rare example of consensus in parliament, often rocked by debates over everything.
It was amended several times later including the last change made on August 22, 2005, limiting duty-free import facility to 3000cc for jeeps and 1650cc for cars. The latest amendment also restricted duty-free vehicle import facility for the lawmakers, who would have less than two years’ tenure after taking oath.
Besides, the regulations stipulate that duty-free vehicles imported under the scheme could not be transferred to second party as long as tenure of a lawmaker remains valid or before four years since the import, which one is earlier.
The special duty rebate, which distinguished members of parliament from other potential buyers of new vehicles, has been dogged by allegations since it was introduced.
Recent seizures of duty-free cars, which wrongly changed hands from ex-MPs to business tycoons, have proved the allegations true, triggering calls from civic rights groups for scrapping the facility. Above 90 per cent lawmakers either sold out their duty-free vehicles to businesspeople or imported those for others in exchange of commission, sources in the NBR said.
In recent times, joint forces detected a number of cases where the special privilege for the lawmakers was grossly misused. The NBR’s central intelligence cell is busy preparing the list of the lawmakers who transferred their duty-free vehicles to second party defying the government’s regulation.
The cell is also tracking those MPs, who imported duty-free vehicles, but avoided mentioning those in tax returns.
According to the current regulations, 73.91 per cent duties are applicable for cars up to 1600cc, while vehicles above the ceiling are subject to 196.1 per cent duties.
Most of the MPs of the 8th Jatiya Sangsad (October 2001-October 2006) imported luxurious vehicles above 3,000cc, reveals in a recent report of the NBR, which was sent to the finance ministry.
The vehicles included BMW, Mercedes Benz, Land Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser, Porsche, Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, Cadillac, Toyota Lexus and Porsche Cayenne Turbo.
The average import value of the vehicles was $70,000 dollar, customs officials said.
NBR also unearthed that 45 luxury vehicles were imported in the name of lawmakers flouting the ceiling for duty-free facility.
http://www.newagebd.com/front.html#e
Old March 11, 2007, 03:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
It isn't bitter. What really bitter is the fact that this newspaper is trying to garner support for BAL when tries to sound soft when BAL's people gets arrested like yesterday, and make a big issue out when Tareq or whoever gets busted.

I never said they are telling lies. They are telling truth, but it's the practice of selecting your choice of truth and leave out the rest which bothers me.
Old March 11, 2007, 03:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If everyone else is telling the BOTH-SIDED LIES, then it is better to stick to the ONE-SIDED Truth. Won't you?
To be honest, neither is better than the other because both are tools to get influence and support in a immoral way.
Old March 11, 2007, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

A week or so ago one of the top news was about the present govt trying to demolish the Rangs building near Bijoy Shoronoi, which was illegally built. Most newpapers published this to a varied degree except Daily Star. Do you know why?

Rangs owns Daily Star. So this truth slipped from their radar conveniently.
Old March 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
It isn't bitter. What really bitter is the fact that this newspaper is trying to garner support for BAL when tries to sound soft when BAL's people gets arrested like yesterday, and make a big issue out when Tareq or whoever gets busted.

I never said they are telling lies. They are telling truth, but it's the practice of selecting your choice of truth and leave out the rest which bothers me.

Comparing with Tareq's downfall and arrest, nothing seems to be a news now-a-days. Yes nothing. Period.

If you compare Tareq's Arrest with that of Al's 2nd level leaders, you will even lower the Rajputr's level down to squalid earth! DS didnt dare to do that. Will you do that? Will give the same coverage of your Prince?

I believe, the next big news would be arrest of Sheikh Hasina and Khaleda Zia. And if DS dont cover that in comparison with Tareq's arrest (which is the biggest Fish ever caught in BD), I will find anomalies in BD and agree with you.
Old March 11, 2007, 12:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
To be honest, neither is better than the other because both are tools to get influence and support in a immoral way.
"Nai-mamar-cheye-kana-mama-valo"
"Shunno-goaler-cheye-kana-goru-valo" (?)
Old March 12, 2007, 12:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Heard it thru the grapevine---biggest operation in about a week or so, this time more than 100 to be arrested.
Old March 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Tareq Rahman sent to Jail

From BDNews
Quote:
Dhaka, March 12 (bdnews24.com) – Tarique Rahman has been sent to jail.

The magistrate said late Monday evening that he will hear his case again a week later, on March 19, as the elder son of Khaleda Zia faced court after four days of questioning on charges of extorting from a contractor.

On granting him special status in jail, Speedy Trial Court-2 of magistrate Abdur Rouf Khan said the jail code would be applicable in deciding his status -- division or no division.

"According to jail code, he won't get division," Deputy IG for prisons Major Shamsul Haider Siddiqui told bdnews24.com minutes after Tarique arrived in Dhaka central jail.

In the dock, according to bdnews24.com correspondents inside the courtroom, a dejected Tarique was seen wiping off a tear or two.

Police earlier drove away up to 30 women activists of the BNP out of the courtroom for security reasons.

Lawyers Khondoker Mahbubuddin Ahmed, former attorney general AJ Mohammad Ali, Abdur Rezzak Khan and Abdul Wadud were in the court to defend Tarique.

Tarique faces the allegations in a case filed by Amin Ahmed Bhuiyan with Gulshan Police Station on March 8.

Earlier in the day, a Dhaka court decided to hear a second bail prayer for Tarique on March 19.

Lawyers for the BNP leader Monday appealed for bail to the Dhaka Metropolitan Sessions Judge's Court for the second time in five days.

The lawyers cited Tarique's "illness" as the reason for bail prayer.

Judge Momin Ullah accepted the prayer and fixed the hearing for March 19.

Tarique was taken to court Thursday and the court rejected his first bail prayer. He was then taken into four-day remand, which ended Monday.

The case was filed under the Speedy Trial (Law and Order Disruption) Act, which means the trial will be fast-tracked.
Old March 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

sheding a tear or two??? Bhaia ki hoisey apnar? mamla tho ek koti takar. Apney khaisen hazar hazar koti. Desh'ta tho ar desh rakhen nai. phuta koira disen. Apnar dhaner shish bhora nouka ekhon ar tirey ashtey parbey na. Kainden na.
Old March 12, 2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Rangs owns Daily Star. So this truth slipped from their radar conveniently.
umm, I think its Transcom, not Rangs. Transcom runs Philips and Pepsi... Rangs does Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc.
Old March 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
umm, I think its Transcom, not Rangs. Transcom runs Philips and Pepsi... Rangs does Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc.
Rangs has good ties with Mahfuz Anam,they jointly own Anam Rangs Plaza in Dhanmondi,
Old March 13, 2007, 12:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Transcom owns Prothom ALo. Rangs' boss Rouf Chaoudhury is the majority owner of Daily star. Transcom may have some interest in it but I'm not sure.
Old March 13, 2007, 01:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Transcom owns Prothom ALo. Rangs' boss Rouf Chaoudhury is the majority owner of Daily star. Transcom may have some interest in it but I'm not sure.
Nope, Media World owns Daily star and Prothom alo. MEdia WOrld is Owned by Mr. Latifur Rahman of Transcom. Rangs er nijeder kono paper nai.