facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 13, 2007, 01:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Nope, Media World owns Daily star and Prothom alo. MEdia WOrld is Owned by Mr. Latifur Rahman of Transcom. Rangs er nijeder kono paper nai.
You are right!
Old March 13, 2007, 01:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Nope, Media World owns Daily star and Prothom alo. MEdia WOrld is Owned by Mr. Latifur Rahman of Transcom. Rangs er nijeder kono paper nai.
Rouf C. is definitely one of the owners. You are right about Media W. But Rouf is also there. I am sure of it.
Old March 13, 2007, 02:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pion
You are right!
If I am right then why the loser emoticon at the end ? Was that a sarcastic sentence ? Maybe I missed something.
Old March 13, 2007, 02:56 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Bangladesh police give service with a smile, without bribes

2007/3/13
By Azad Majumder DHAKA, Reuters

Bangladesh's wholesale anti-graft campaign has swept through the capital's police force, which now offers friendly, bribe-free services to residents wanting crimes and rights violations investigated. In the past, many Dhaka residents visited police stations only as a last resort. Officers would only help if a bribe was paid, usually through a broker.
Now the brokers are gone and in their place are service desks staffed by friendly police who record complaints and advise residents what to do next, Naeem Ahmed, chief of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, told Reuters.
"We want to see that the people have some confidence in police and so I have asked my officers to act accordingly," Naeem said.
The service comes after a national army-led drive to cleanse politics and the government of corruption to pave way for a free-and-fair election.
Every police station in the city of 10 million will have a service desk, Naeem said.
Police in the impoverished South Asian country were largely blamed for corruption for which the Paris-based global crime watch-dog Transparency International ranked Bangladesh the most corrupt country for four years in a row since 2000.
"I agree with the allegations, it's not a secret. But from now on you will see a different police. We will change the hundred-year old image," Naeem said, who pledged any negligence of duty would be punished.
Naeem was appointed police chief by the interim government headed by former central bank chief Fakhruddin Ahmed.
Assisted by a panel of advisers, Fakhruddin is trying to organize a free and credible poll as soon possible, but refuses to announce a date immediately.
After introduction of the service desk, people are now thronging police stations seeking help on a variety of grievances, some of which are not the purview of police.

Source >>

Old March 13, 2007, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
Bangladesh police give service with a smile, without bribes

2007/3/13
By Azad Majumder DHAKA, Reuters

Bangladesh's wholesale anti-graft campaign has swept through the capital's police force, which now offers friendly, bribe-free services to residents wanting crimes and rights violations investigated. In the past, many Dhaka residents visited police stations only as a last resort. Officers would only help if a bribe was paid, usually through a broker.
Now the brokers are gone and in their place are service desks staffed by friendly police who record complaints and advise residents what to do next, Naeem Ahmed, chief of Dhaka Metropolitan Police, told Reuters.
"We want to see that the people have some confidence in police and so I have asked my officers to act accordingly," Naeem said.
The service comes after a national army-led drive to cleanse politics and the government of corruption to pave way for a free-and-fair election.
Every police station in the city of 10 million will have a service desk, Naeem said.
Police in the impoverished South Asian country were largely blamed for corruption for which the Paris-based global crime watch-dog Transparency International ranked Bangladesh the most corrupt country for four years in a row since 2000.
"I agree with the allegations, it's not a secret. But from now on you will see a different police. We will change the hundred-year old image," Naeem said, who pledged any negligence of duty would be punished.
Naeem was appointed police chief by the interim government headed by former central bank chief Fakhruddin Ahmed.
Assisted by a panel of advisers, Fakhruddin is trying to organize a free and credible poll as soon possible, but refuses to announce a date immediately.
After introduction of the service desk, people are now thronging police stations seeking help on a variety of grievances, some of which are not the purview of police.

Source >>
Ohh what a good news. I just want to share a very recent incident that I had with the police with you all. Last sumer when I was in Dhaka I remembered at the fag end of my vacation that I needed to get hold of a police clearance saying that I have no criminal record which I need for my immigration application. Since I had very little time in my hands I needed one urgently and told the officer. Sensing my desperate situation and due to my own stupidity of letting him know of my urgency he said that the fastest he can do it was in two days and for that I would need to pay him Tk 1000. My flight was in three days time and that was all the money I had left in my pocket. I gave him the 1000 and then he asked me to return back at midnight on the second day to take my papers. Hearing this my mom got super paranoid and my dad got angry. Eventually I had to go to him on the morning of my flight day to get hold of the papers. Maybe I should have my parents go and file a complain about the guy now in the police station.
Old March 13, 2007, 03:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
If I am right then why the loser emoticon at the end ? Was that a sarcastic sentence ? Maybe I missed something.
You are absolutely right about DS and Mr. Latifur Rahman!

= I thought it meant "thumbs up" or "you are right"!! Now found out that it means "loser".........my crapshot!
Old March 13, 2007, 03:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
You are absolutely right about DS and Mr. Latifur Rahman!

= I thought it meant "thumbs up" or "you are right"!! Now found out that it means "loser".........my crapshot!

So apni etodin jader k loser emoticon disen er mane you actually meant to give them a thumbs up.
Old March 13, 2007, 08:28 AM
Cricket Legend

why is getting US visa considered as a news. I don't get it. It could be a news, in the case, Sheikh Hasina is escaping arrest and leaving the country for good:

Quote:
Dhaka, March 13 (bdnews24.com) -- Awami League president Sheikh Hasina Tuesday received a visa from the US embassy as she prepared to leave for the US Thursday.

The AL chief went to the embassy at 8:20am, accompanied by party presidium member Kazi Zafarullah and her private security chief retired Major General Tareq Ahmed Siddique.

For more, visit http://media.bdnews24.com

bdnews24.com/sum/suchi/mars/ad/1418 hours
Old March 13, 2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
why is getting US visa considered as a news. I don't get it. It could be a news, in the case, Sheikh Hasina is escaping arrest and leaving the country for good:
That's the case I guess, and the reason to be a news. May be she is leaving for a long time,,, not bad.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The party leader of "jonogon's party" needs two of her assistant to get a US Visa? Why? Are they going also with her? Is she taking them away beyond the arms of army?

I think those were the side questions that the paper wanted to ask also.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
That's the case I guess, and the reason to be a news. May be she is leaving for a long time,,, not bad.
Is she allowed to leave the country according to the current emergency situation? Or is it the only 100 listed politicians. Something tells me, she is not to come back anytime soon if she can leave.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:30 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

How come she got permission to leave the country at this moment. I am afraid she might use this opportunity to start her usual anti bangladesh propaganda from US.

Old March 13, 2007, 09:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
How come she got permission to leave the country at this moment. I am afraid she might use this opportunity to start her usual anti bangladesh propaganda from US.
That's another possibility. And I think, this is the most likely motive.
Old March 13, 2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Who knows?? She might be sent back to Shuda Shadan from Dhaka airport.
As airport security did with other politicians ... That would be real fun!
Old March 13, 2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Is she allowed to leave the country according to the current emergency situation? Or is it the only 100 listed politicians. Something tells me, she is not to come back anytime soon if she can leave.
She was the one who shouted for not allowing anyone corrupted ( politicians ) to leave the country! How irony it is now!!

It would be fun to watch she get sent back from Dhaka airport.
Old March 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
So apni etodin jader k loser emoticon disen er mane you actually meant to give them a thumbs up.
...hahaha......seems i am the
Old March 13, 2007, 06:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Hasina gets US visa
Dhaka, March 13 (bdnews24.com) -- Awami League president Sheikh Hasina Tuesday received a visa from the US embassy as she prepared to leave for the US Thursday.

The AL chief went to the embassy at 8:20am, accompanied by party presidium member Kazi Zafarullah and her private security chief retired Major General Tareq Ahmed Siddique.
Hasina is set to fly British Airways.

She will travel to Washington to see her daughter-in-law, who had a gallbladder surgery on March 7, sources close to the Awami League said.

For more, visit http://media.bdnews24.com

bdnews24.com/sum/suchi/mars/ad/1418 hours
Old March 13, 2007, 07:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
...hahaha......seems i am the
No no not at all. It is just funny that people who might have thought you were calling them loser, in reality you were giving them a thumbs up. We all make mistakes. Yours just translated into something very funny.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
I am sure the current govt. knows it. If they still let her leave, they must have some motives behind that. What possibilities can you think of regarding that?
Old March 13, 2007, 11:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Hasina goes around in two luxury cars, a big mercedes sedan and a mercedes four wheeler. How come noone's questioning her about that?
Old March 14, 2007, 09:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Luxury pets abandoned as bribes police crack down

March 14, 2007

Luxury pets abandoned as bribes police crack down

The rich and powerful of Bangladesh are dumping luxury goods from top-of-the-range 4x4s to pet peacocks in the hope of evading a crackdown on corruption by the new military regime.
The latest discoveries include three Hummers abandoned by the roadside in Dhaka and six rare deer left in a disused iron foundry, police said yesterday.
Dozens more vehicles and exotic pets have been confiscated from politicians arrested since an election was cancelled and a state of emergency declared on January 11. The animals, including a bear and a cheetah, have been given to a safari park after what one official described as the largest recovery of wildlife since independence.
The seizures hint at the extraordinarily opulent lifestyles enjoyed by the political elite, while more than half the population of 150 million struggles by on less than a dollar a day. They also reflect the military’s determination to root out corruption at the top.
Last week security forces arrested Tarique Rahman, whose mother, Khaleda Zia, was Prime Minister until late last year. Mr Rahman was remanded in custody for a month yesterday, pending a full investigation into corruption charges.
Also last week, the military’s role in government was formalised with the reformation of a National Security Council, including the civilian head of a caretaker administration and the chiefs of the three armed services. That has raised concerns among Western diplomats and ordinary Bangladeshis about how and when the army will return to its barracks.
Most, however, still support the new regime, such was their disillusion with the personal rivalry between Mrs Zia and the main opposition leader, Sheikh Hasina, which has dominated politics since 1991.
When Mrs Zia’s Bangladesh National Party was in power, her 40-year-old son became known as Yuvraj (Prince) and Mr Ten Per Cent because of the cut he was alleged to take on government deals. Critics accuse him of amassing millions of dollars through corruption.
The military now appears determined to break the grip of the BNP and Sheikh Hasina’s Awami League on Bangladeshi politics. It has arrested about 160 senior political figures from both parties, including 15 former ministers, and has begun rounding up the first on a new list of 50 more.
With each arrest comes another haul of luxury cars, many smuggled into the country, and exotic animals kept at lavish farmhouses or in private zoos. Last week police seized 31 animals and birds from the home of a former power minister. On Monday, security forces confiscated a Porsche Cayenne SUV from the residence of a former BNP lawmaker. They also seized 37 endangered deer from three businessmen, including a BNP official.
— 89 deer, 21 pheasants, 9 peacocks, 2 emus, 1 crocodile, 1 black bear, 1 cheetah recovered in corruption blitz
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1511758.ece
Old March 14, 2007, 10:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Crocodile!! Holy smoke! No python or azogor! I am really scared of snake!
Old March 14, 2007, 10:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Hasina's on her way to the US. AL says her stay will last 30 days. Has she just given the authorities the slip?
Old March 15, 2007, 12:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Bangladesh 1975 coup fugitive arrested in US

LOS ANGELES, March 14 (Reuters) - U.S. immigration officials said on Wednesday they had arrested a former Bangladeshi army officer wanted for his role in a 1975 military coup in which Bangladesh's president was killed.

Mohiuddin A.K.M. Ahmed, 60, was arrested at his Los Angeles home on Tuesday and was being held pending a deportation hearing, immigration officials said.

In 1998, Ahmed was convicted and sentenced to death in his absence for his role in the August 1975 coup that led to the assassination of Sheikh Mujib Rahman, Bangladesh's first president.

Death sentences against 10 of the 15 convicted officers were upheld by Bangladesh's High Court in 2000.

Ahmed first came to the United States on a visitor's visa in 1996 and applied to remain here permanently. After years of deportation orders and appeals, a federal appeals court in San Francisco last month denied his petition to review his case.

"He was a foreign fugitive and we aggressively will continue to seek out, locate, arrest and deport individuals in coordination with law enforcement around the world," said Brian DeMore of the Los Angeles office of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

bdnews24.com/mi/jr/1051 hrs.
Old March 15, 2007, 05:38 AM

Bring him ( Mohiuddin A.K.M. Ahmed ) home and hand him what he deserve, no mercy to such brutal murderers.