facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 12, 2007, 09:03 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle
really? please, if it is news then say it. I don't think it is good time to joke.
Oracle bhai, its the news. From BDNews

Quote:

Dhaka, Jan 12 (bdnews24.com) – Former Bangladesh Bank governor Fakhruddin Ahmed was sworn in Friday evening as the new chief of the caretaker government.

Leaders of the mega alliance including Sheikh Hasina, H M Ershad and A Q M Badruddoza Chowdhury attended the 7pm ceremony at the Bangabhaban.

BNP leaders including Khaleda Zia did not attend.

The police Friday lifted the late night-to-early morning curfew.

The withdrawal of the curfew eased tensions in the capital and other parts of the country that went through months of violent street protests by the Awami League and allies.

In an evening announcement, Awami League General Secretary Abdul Jalil said the mega-alliance called off all street protests.

President Iajuddin Ahmed Thursday resigned from the caretaker government as its boss and slapped a state of emergency in what he said was to bring a change to Bangladesh's restive politics.

The Bangabhaban ceremony was also attended by the outgoing advisers including acting chief adviser Fazlul Huq, a number of 14-party leaders such as Abdul Jalil, Tofail Ahmed, Amir Hossain Amu, Sajeda Chowdhury, Abdur Razzaq, Matia Chowdhury, Salman F Rrahman and Rashed Khan Menon.

Former chief advisers Justice Habibur Rahman and Latifur Rahman, acting CEC Mahfuzur Rahman, ambassadors, secretaries were present.
Old January 12, 2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
This time AL and allies attended the ceremony and BNP and allies boycotted it.

Another set of anarchy on the cards ???
Hahaha … lets see how BNP and JI dance on street coming days.
Old January 12, 2007, 09:25 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
BNP has much less active dancers than AL. Probably they have got more spectators

I don't think they can organize a bumper hit 'Dance' compared to AL did this time.
Old January 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
This time AL and allies attended the ceremony and BNP and allies boycotted it.
They needed some time alone!!
Sajano Songsar vengay Jabar Dukkho Vultey Ektu Somoy to Lagbay-e.
Old January 12, 2007, 09:36 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Interesting that Al and Ershad attended and BNP boycotted the ceremony. Fakhruddin Ahmed is very well known in bangladeshi community living in Washington DC/Maryland/VA area and well connected with US politicians. I think he also worked for World Bank. As far as I know if he has any biasness towards any party (which is normal and nothing wrong about it unless he abuses it), then its more towards BNP than any party. Moreover its BNP who offered him the BD Bank Governor job.

Then why BNP boycotted the ceremony? I am pretty sure its not because of Fakhruddin as a candidate (CA), but rather showing that they are not happy with the current development i.e resignation of Iajuddin, delaying the elections, future revamping the EC and voter list.

So on paper AL is supporting the nomination and BNP is kind of non-commital. Again, I think BNP is one step ahead of AL. So if anyone dances again, I think it will be AL who may end up dancing in the street again; only that next time they will have far less credibility to sell it to the foreign governments/institutes.

btw:the rumor (from dristipat) is Prof U was first offered, but he had some precondition demand that Iajuddin government didn't satisfied. So he rejected.

Last edited by Fazal; January 12, 2007 at 09:49 AM..
Old January 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
Test Cricketer

How long Bangladesh will survive?
Old January 12, 2007, 10:01 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

It's no big surprise after all that has happened BNP did not attend the ceremony. Even bigger reason is the presence of your rivals in such close proximity. Ershad has played his cards right so far, that sly dog.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Interesting that Al and Ershad attended and BNP boycotted the ceremony. Fakhruddin Ahmed is very well known in bangladeshi community living in Washington DC/Maryland/VA area and well connected with US politicians. I think he also worked for World Bank. As far as I know if he has any biasness towards any party (which is normal and nothing wrong about it unless he abuses it), then its more towards BNP than any party. Moreover its BNP who offered him the BD Bank Governor job.

Then why BNP boycotted the ceremony? I am pretty sure its not because of Fakhruddin as a candidate (CA), but rather showing that they are not happy with the current development i.e resignation of Iajuddin, delaying the elections, future revamping the EC and voter list.
Thank's Fazal for detail information on new CA Fakhruddin Ahmed.

Whatever the reason is … it's very disrespectful to those who tried so hard for a solution, who sacrificed ( people ) a lot out of this situation etc.. BNP could have send someone as representative to show some respect and honor. But yes these are our politicians true color.

Quote:
btw:the rumor (from dristipat) is Prof U was first offered, but he had some precondition demand that Iajuddin government didn't satisfied. So he rejected.
I also guessed something like that when I first saw the name Fakhruddin Ahmed. Since Mr. loser is still our president, we might have another late night drama to watch … better Dr. Yunus stays as our ultimate resource.

Anyway I am hopeful with new CA and wish we move forward in a peaceful manner this time, so far it's looking good.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshCricket
How long Bangladesh will survive?
I think your question needs to be clarified? can you please clarify your question. Are you putting the question against the longivity of our beloved Bangladesh?
Old January 12, 2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

To achieve a true democracy in a country, most citizens need to understand it first and the first criteria to qualify to understand it is education and awareness. That begins from the root of the society- when all citizens are aware of their rights and exercise them promptly. It is possible for a country where a democratic top-level government is running year in year out, but that is never going to be a stable democracy. Ordinary citizens play a vital role in running and maintaining a smooth and stable democratic country. In a country where most citizens are unaware of their basic rights- food, education, health care, employment etc. and those have never been the key issues for blockade and hortal, other than getting into the power, one can question the usefulness of democracy in that country. And those issues will never be addressed either by government or ordinary citizens as priority where key elements for democracy are missing.
Politics in BD is to get into the power and enjoy the wealth, not the welfare of the country and its citizens. Until all citizens and leaders understand that true welfare, democracy in Bangladesh is a “Jonakir Alo”
Old January 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
I also guessed something like that when I first saw the name Fakhruddin Ahmed. Since Mr. loser is still our president, we might have another late night drama to watch … better Dr. Yunus stays as our ultimate resource.
Anadabazar of Kolkata published the resignation of Iajuddin as their headline news.
According to Anadabazar, AL reacted negatively on the possibility of Dr. Yunus taking CA position.
Source: Anandabazar
Old January 12, 2007, 10:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupantor
Anadabazar of Kolkata published the resignation of Iajuddin as their headline news.
According to Anadabazar, AL reacted negatively on the possibility of Dr. Yunus taking CA position.
Source: Anandabazar

it's not a surprise that AL turned down Dr. Y as CA. He is dimmed pro-BNP by AL for a long time.
Old January 12, 2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry
To achieve a true democracy in a country, most citizens need to understand it first and the first criteria to qualify to understand it is education and awareness. That begins from the root of the society- when all citizens are aware of their rights and exercise them promptly. It is possible for a country where a democratic top-level government is running year in year out, but that is never going to be a stable democracy. Ordinary citizens play a vital role in running and maintaining a smooth and stable democratic country. In a country where most citizens are unaware of their basic rights- food, education, health care, employment etc. and those have never been the key issues for blockade and hortal, other than getting into the power, one can question the usefulness of democracy in that country. And those issues will never be addressed either by government or ordinary citizens as priority where key elements for democracy are missing.
Politics in BD is to get into the power and enjoy the wealth, not the welfare of the country and its citizens. Until all citizens and leaders understand that true welfare, democracy in Bangladesh is a “Jonakir Alo”
Nicely said, though I term citizens as hostage.
Old January 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
it's not a surprise that AL turned down Dr. Y as CA. He is dimmed pro-BNP by AL for a long time.
Interesting, because they ended up having another pro-BNP in Fakhruddin Ahmed. I thought given a chance between Fakhruddin and Dr. U, Al would choose Dr. U. But you never know about these politicans, they never think straights like regular people do.

Lets see how things come up in near future. I think at some point in the future more detailed information (about why Dr U was not the CA) will be published in some bangladeshi newspaper. I think we need to give some time to figure out truths from all sort of rumors flying around.
Old January 12, 2007, 11:16 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Interesting, because they ended up having another pro-BNP in Fakhruddin Ahmed. I thought given a chance between Fakhruddin and Dr. U, Al would choose Dr. U. But you never know about these politicans, they never think straights like regular people do.

Lets see how things come up in near future. I think at some point in the future more detailed information (about why Dr U was not the CA) will be published in some bangladeshi newspaper. I think we need to give some time to figure out truths from all sort of rumors flying around.
Fazal, stop branding Fakhruddin Chy as a pro BNP without proper evidence. Working during BNP tenure does not necessarily make a civil servant pro BNP.

He was appointed as BB governor amid some major financial reform. He was the right person that time as he had vast knowledge and expertise as a World Bank high up.
Old January 12, 2007, 11:20 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Fazal, stop branding Fakhruddin Chy as a pro BNP without proper evidence. Working during BNP tenure does not necessarily make a civil servant pro BNP.
Quote:
As far as I know if he has any biasness towards any party (which is normal and nothing wrong about it unless he abuses it), then its more towards BN than any party.
Old January 12, 2007, 12:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:

He was appointed as BB governor amid some major financial reform. He was the right person that time as he had vast knowledge and expertise as a World Bank high up.
Miraz stop giving me advice without reading my comments. I know Mr. Fakhruddin a little bit and saw him more than dozen of times in local parties in DC parties. I know what I am talking. Its obvious he has some BNP connection. My dad and Mr. Fakhruddin have common friends in DC area. Before going back to Bangladesh in 2001, he was already very accomplished individual.

Now does it (his probable bioasness towards BNP) makes him unqualified? Not by default, as every one by default have some kind of biasness towards one party or another, and thats nothing bad about that.

So please relax and think before giving lecture to other members.

btw thanks rupantor for pointing out my comments.

Last edited by Fazal; January 12, 2007 at 12:40 PM..
Old January 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
First Class Cricketer

Fall of another Wicket!!
Mokhlesur Rahman Chowdhury, the BNP/Iajuddin-Protected Press Adviser, resigned Friday Afternoon.
He said he thought it was not proper for him to continue with the job, without giving further details.
Source: BDnews24

Someting from the Past
Quote:
Mokhlesur now an adviser with state minister's rank
President Iajuddin Ahmed appointed his controversial Press Secretary Mokhlesur Rahman Chowdhury as an adviser with the rank and status of a state minister. Mokhlesur was politically appointed to the president's press secretary post during the immediate past BNP regime. A handout from the Cabinet Division disclosed the appointment without saying which portfolio he received. The appointment, however, raised confusion and legal questions, as the caretaker government already has 11 advisers with the president as its chief. "The president has no jurisdiction to appoint more than 10 advisers," said Barrister Tanjib ul Alam, "A clear violation of the constitution," he added. Awami League (AL) Publicity Secretary Asaduzzaman Noor said they would lodge a protest against the appointment. "He is appointed with ill intentions," said Noor, adding that Mokhlesur was appointed politically by the BNP regime. Political parties have been demanding the cancellation of all political appointments, Noor said. BNP gave the appointment to Mokhlesur in the office of the president to have access to information about the council's decisions and other state related matters, he added. Meanwhile, several advisers to the caretaker government expressed their annoyance at Mokhlesur's attending the meeting of the advisers' council, a violation of the rule, as he is the press secretary to the president, sources said. Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) recently accused Mokhlesur for despatching information by attending the council meetings. -The Daily Star, November 14.

Last edited by rupantor; January 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM..
Old January 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupantor
Fall of another Wicket!!
Very funny. I'll use that with others. Thanks.
Old January 12, 2007, 12:50 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Miraz stop giving me advice without reading my comments. I know Mr. Fakhruddin a little bit and saw him more than dozen of times in local parties in DC parties. I know what I am talking. Its obvious he has some BNP connection. My dad and Mr. Fakhruddin have common friends in DC area. Before going back to Bangladesh in 2001, he was already very accomplished individual.

Now does it (his probable bioasness towards BNP) makes him unqualified? Not by default, as every one by default have some kind of biasness towards one party or another, and thats nothing bad about that.

So please relax and think before giving lecture to other members.

btw thanks rupantor for pointing out my comments.
Fazal, thanks for clarifying.. your dads connection.. friendship with Fakhruddin and your meeting with Fakhruddin.. which led to your conclusive remarks about Fakhruddin and his pro BNP label. Now your comments make sense.

As a lay man, I was not that aware and thanks again for enlightening me.

And, sorry If I have offended you through my advice/lecture (according to you).

Peace.
Old January 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I think Fazalbhai is right. I've also heard from some sources that Mr. Fakhruddin is somewhat pro BNP. Again, it doesn't matter whether he is pro AL or pro BNP as long as he doesn't turn out to be another puppet of any kind and do what he is supposed to do.
Old January 12, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Fazal, thanks for clarifying.. your dads connection.. friendship with Fakhruddin and your meeting with Fakhruddin.. which led to your conclusive remarks about Fakhruddin and his BNP biasness. Now your comments make sense.

As a lay man, I was not that aware and thanks again for enlightening me.

And, sorry If I have offended you through my advice/lecture (according to you).

Peace.
No problem. Thanks.
Old January 12, 2007, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

It's rumored that Tarek Zia is arrested, I didn't find it anywhere though. Has anyone got any idea about that?
Old January 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
Test Cricketer

So where are we going...civil wars for just two pathetic parties and rajakars, politicians...
So what we need now? One party...then ppl will call me socialist...Army..they don't know what is politics...I am tired of politicians..
Old January 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcricmad
It's rumored that Tarek Zia is arrested, I didn't find it anywhere though. Has anyone got any idea about that?
That's not gonna happen in Bangladesh in anytime soon unless military takes over the power.

One crow does not touch the meat of another