facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 2, 2007, 03:36 PM

What I find troublesome that public funds will be used to buy the building and property and then demolished, for the road to be built. Lots of room for more bureaucracy, red tape, misallocation, mismanagement, lobbying... and 3 years from now we'll still have a Rangs Bhaban standing there
Old August 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
One link road will not make a significant dent to slow traffic in Dhaka, we need more roads, overpasses, and raised streets.
One step at a time, my friend.

Bindu bindu jol ei ek din hobe shindhu.
Old August 2, 2007, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Baba
One step at a time, my friend.

Bindu bindu jol ei ek din hobe shindhu.
I am with you... I am very happy with this step. I think this was a stumbling block because acquiring a 700+ crore property for link road is a big deal.

I disagree with ammark that it will take a long time to acquire the building. If there is political will, all other external forces will fall into places. I guess we will find out soon.
Old August 2, 2007, 05:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
The main thing here is to demolish the unlawful structure. The CTG will construct the original proposed road, which has been pending for long,connecting Bijoy Sarani with Tejgaon.
Part of the structure is illegal not the whole thing.
Its kind of weird. You should have seen the look on the face of the defendants lawyer. Had a tough day got two controversial decisions. He even sed "that jeh he doesnt get the decision, either it should be totally illegal or fully legal. Half measure korar manei hoi nah"
Old August 2, 2007, 05:16 PM
Club Cricketer

I wonder if the new pricing policy for acquired land will come into play before then:
http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/07/29/d7072901096.htm

Quote:
The government is formulating a national policy for compensating people displaced due to land acquisition through assessing their total asset losses by "full market value" instead of just considering the average market price of the land and an additional amount.

As per law, the additional amount is 50 percent of the average market price of the land acquired by the government.

A proposed policy, which will bring changes in the Acquisition and Requisition of Immovable Property Ordinance, 1982, now recommends "joint verification" of the assets of the persons affected.

"All project related asset losses will be compensated at full market value which is equivalent to the replacement value for the acquired assets," says the draft of the proposed policy.
Old August 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
I am with you... I am very happy with this step. I think this was a stumbling block because acquiring a 700+ crore property for link road is a big deal.

I disagree with ammark that it will take a long time to acquire the building. If there is political will, all other external forces will fall into places. I guess we will find out soon.
i do not know about the easement laws in Bd. But this acquisation should take a while and plus rangs bhoboner pichone onek other properties aseh nah?
Old August 2, 2007, 05:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Accounts of Hasina, her family members frozen
NBR also issues freeze order on accounts of families of Morshed Khan, Babar

Staff Correspondent

The National Board of Revenue (NBR) yesterday asked all commercial banks to freeze accounts of Awami League (AL) President Sheikh Hasina and her five family members. It also put freeze order on accounts of 49 other people and organisations including former foreign minister M Morshed Khan, his wife, son and daughter, ex-BNP state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and his relatives and former vice-chancellor of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Prof MA Hadi.
The NBR asked all banks to provide the account information about the people and organisation, sources said.
Hasina's husband Dr M Wajed Miah, sister Sheikh Rehana, son Sajeeb Wajed Joy and daughter Saima Wajed Putul and her husband are on the NBR list.
The account holders will also no longer be able to withdraw Fixed Deposit Receipt (FDR) or make transactions, sources said quoting the NBR order.
Accounts of Bangabandhu Memorial Museum, Bangabandhu Memorial Trust and Grenade Affected Welfare Trust were also frozen.
Meanwhile, the central bank asked other banks to provide account information of 199 bigwigs by August 8.
On March 1, the NBR asked all commercial banks to immediately suspend transactions of accounts of 53 graft suspects.
The NBR directed banks to freeze the accounts of former law minister barrister Moudud Ahmed and his wife Hasna Moudud on March 6.
Source:

Bechara joy er mone hoye harvard ey jawa hobe na
Old August 2, 2007, 08:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Quote:
Source:

Bechara joy er mone hoye harvard ey jawa hobe na
ha ha... amio harvard e gesilam, toi porte na, ghurte, joy-o jabe, amar motoe ghurte....

But on a serious note, joy has money in USA, which is out of reach of CTG.

I heard a rumor that Joy just bought a whole block of townhouses in northern Virginia. Can anyone verify that?
Old August 2, 2007, 08:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Source:

Wow! Hasina whole family is under the gun! Corruption drive should include wider range. This is incredulous!

Last edited by shujan; August 2, 2007 at 09:05 PM..
Old August 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Baba
I heard a rumor that Joy just bought a whole block of townhouses in northern Virginia. Can anyone verify that?
He was saying last time in his blog that he and his wife struggle hard to pay up mortgages and bills. Now if that includes a block of townhouses bhai that's joke of the day.

Besides, tuition fees in Harvard costs like 80 000 dollars, where does he get all that money for someone who is financially struggling? Btw, he doesn't have scholarship. Add a block of town house to that list, something smells fishy.
Old August 2, 2007, 09:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Here is another catch about this young fella.

If you go to his blog here. You'll see that he was named one of the 250 young global leader. The BAL website went one step further and said "World Economic Forum elects Sajeeb "Joy" Wazed as Young Global Leader-2007" Source, as if he is sole winner.

He was known to start a company called Mvion Inc (from younggloballeader.org site, Link). which later went bankrupt Link

There is more to this guy than any of us know.

Last edited by Alien; August 2, 2007 at 09:23 PM..
Old August 2, 2007, 11:08 PM
Cricket Legend

If Joy is good enough, then he can get a scholarship or fellowship. As one of many Bangladeshis who didn't have parents footing the bill and went through college and graduate school on scholarships/fellowships, I have no sympathy for his so-called plight.
Old August 2, 2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
If Joy is good enough, then he can get a scholarship or fellowship. As one of many Bangladeshis who didn't have parents footing the bill and went through college and graduate school on scholarships/fellowships, I have no sympathy for his so-called plight.
precisely. I fully share your feelings. Its incredibly ridiculous how people may claim what a big disservice the CTG's actions are doing, to handicap his intellectual, academic and by extension professional pursuits. I'm pretty certain he's got his education financed off public funds.. and am at the least, disappointed that he has contributed nothing professionally to his beloved "mother's-land"
Old August 3, 2007, 03:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
precisely. I fully share your feelings. Its incredibly ridiculous how people may claim what a big disservice the CTG's actions are doing, to handicap his intellectual, academic and by extension professional pursuits. I'm pretty certain he's got his education financed off public funds.. and am at the least, disappointed that he has contributed nothing professionally to his beloved "mother's-land"
SWJ has major issues, especially from the days of BAL power that are being looked into by responsible parties. One of issues is the fact that he decided to appoint himself "Advisor to the Prime Minister", complete with a business card, and be involved with rasing funds and mediating financial aspects of various NRB "projects". Many of those NRBs, defrauded and not, have been actively pursuing SWJ through the ACC.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; October 20, 2007 at 04:54 AM..
Old August 3, 2007, 03:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up Rangs Bhaban Updates ...

DS Link: http://www.thedailystar.net/latest/updates.php?pid=-97

Quote:
Rajuk starts tearing down Rangs Bhaban
UNB, Dhaka

Following a Supreme Court ruling on Thursday, the Rajdhani Unnayan Kartripakkha (Rajuk) authorities this morning began tearing down the upper floors of the multi-storey Rangs Bhaban at Bijoy Sarani crossing in the capital.
The demolition works started at about 8:00am from the 8th floor of the 22-storey building under the supervision of Rajuk Magistrate Emdadud Dastagir amidst quiet protests by executives of different companies that they were not given enough time to remove their expensive equipment and valuable goods.

In the first phase of the demolition, some 350 Rajuk workers were engaged in removing doors and windows, glasses and furniture of the upper floors.

The workers will demolish the construction beyond the 6th floor in two shifts a day. Some 14 teams of workers were formed under supervision of the Rajuk officials to destroy the construction of the upper floors.

The number of workers will be increased after couple of days when they would start breaking the concrete structures like walls and floors.

Talking to reporters, Rajuk Chief Engineer Shah Alam said it would take 120 days to complete the demolition of all the 16 floors above the 6th floor declared illegal by the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court on Thursday.

The authorities posted some 300 police and Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) members to maintain the security in and around the Rangs building as hundreds of people were seen watching the fall of a tower built at a cost of some Tk 700 crore.

Abdur Rouf Chowdhury, chairman of the Rangs Group of industries, is not in the country.

Abdur Rahman, general manager of the Rangs Group, told the news agency that 30 companies with 35,000 officials and employees used to operate from the business house.

“It’s a humanitarian disaster,” Rahman said in a pensive mood. Like Rahman, other executives of different banks and companies expressed their grievances that they were not allowed enough time to remove their offices, costly electronic equipment and furniture.

Earlier, officials of Rajuk, Dhaka Electricity Supply Authority (Desa) and Water and Sewerage Authority (Wasa) entered the building at about 7:45am and ordered the demolition at 8:00am.

The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered demolition of the 16 upper floors of the 22-storey building, overhauling the High Court judgment that had declared valid the construction beyond the sixth floor of the building.

Within hours of the court order, the authorities on Thursday in the afternoon announced that demolition of the building would start on Friday morning.

Meanwhile at about 2:30pm yesterday, microphones blared out sharp for forewarning, asking companies housed in the edifice to vacate it by midnight last.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 3, 2007, 03:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Netri Updates ...

DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/08/03/d7080301011.htm

Quote:
Accounts of Hasina, her family members frozen
NBR also issues freeze order on accounts of families of Morshed Khan, Babar

Staff Correspondent

The National Board of Revenue (NBR) yesterday asked all commercial banks to freeze accounts of Awami League (AL) President Sheikh Hasina and her five family members.
It also put freeze order on accounts of 49 other people and organisations including former foreign minister M Morshed Khan, his wife, son and daughter, ex-BNP state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar and his relatives and former vice-chancellor of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Prof MA Hadi.

The NBR asked all banks to provide the account information about the people and organisation, sources said.

Hasina's husband Dr M Wajed Miah, sister Sheikh Rehana, son Sajeeb Wajed Joy and daughter Saima Wajed Putul and her husband are on the NBR list.

The account holders will also no longer be able to withdraw Fixed Deposit Receipt (FDR) or make transactions, sources said quoting the NBR order.

Accounts of Bangabandhu Memorial Museum, Bangabandhu Memorial Trust and Grenade Affected Welfare Trust were also frozen.

Meanwhile, the central bank asked other banks to provide account information of 199 bigwigs by August 8.

On March 1, the NBR asked all commercial banks to immediately suspend transactions of accounts of 53 graft suspects.

The NBR directed banks to freeze the accounts of former law minister barrister Moudud Ahmed and his wife Hasna Moudud on March 6.

NBR SITS ON KHALEDA, SAIFUR'S TAX SUBMISSION
The NBR in a board meeting yesterday discussed the issue of tax submission by former prime minister Khaleda Zia and former finance minister Saifur Rahman for legalising their undisclosed income but could not decide whether it would consider accepting the taxes.

Khaleda Zia's sources of income, which are shown in her income tax return, need to be checked thoroughly to ensure that those are legal, NBR sources said.

However, the tax submitted by Saifur might be accepted as he maintained all the required procedures correctly, another source said.

Khaleda has shown her income as house rent, fixed deposit, salary and remuneration as prime minister and leader of the opposition during the last 15 years, remuneration as parliament member, government remuneration of late president Ziaur Rahman and life insurance amounts of both herself and her late husband.

"The NBR needs to make sure whether the income she has shown was earned legally. Income tax officials are scrutinising her sources of income, " a high official of the NBR said preferring anonymity.

The official said that if Khaleda's income was earned legally, she might get another chance for submitting tax to legalise her undisclosed money as the NBR has extended the deadline for tax submission.

When asked, Khaleda Zia's lawyer Ahmed Aazam said that they would submit a fresh return if the NBR asks for it. He said that the NBR was yet to inform him anything about it.

Meanwhile, the NBR sources said that Saifur Rahman has submitted taxes correctly to legalise his undisclosed money.

"The former finance minister maintained all the procedures correctly, so the NBR has no objection to receiving his taxes," another high official of the NBR said preferring anonymity.

In yesterday's board meeting, the NBR has transferred 11 customs and income tax commissioners to different circles.
Khaleda Zia's nickname is also "Putul" BTW, the same as Sheikh Hasina Wajed's daughter's.
Old August 3, 2007, 03:44 AM

After the Rangs Bhaban they really ought to bulldoze and get rid of the landfill Rangs has made on the Northern reaches of Banani lake behind Gulshan-2 lake park near road 61. That is illegally occupied public land that they currently run "Security services" from.

They've encroached so much that the land extends to Banani Kabarsthan and Armed Forces Kabarsthan in banani at the Back. For crying out loud, I used to bike on that road with Jica office and the park on my right, and an open lake on my left! That lake view was blocked up around 1996 by Rangs.

fyi, its the compound the plus sign is focused on: http://wikimapia.org/#lat=23.800615&...18&l=0&m=a&v=2
Old August 3, 2007, 09:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
DS link:http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/08/03/d7080301011.htm
Khaleda Zia's nickname is also "Putul" BTW, the same as Sheikh Hasina Wajed's daughter's.
So is my aunt's kaj'er may.

They may have a good relationship but not when she (Putul) was born. All this kissy kissy stuff behind the door came alive during the Ershad rule.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

aro 141 tah building bhenge choto korah hobeh.
what a precedent the court has set.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Hay hay...Dhaka ke to taina lomba banano jaabe na. Building kaita choto korle manush jabe koi? Hay Allahhh
Old August 3, 2007, 10:42 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
I am very pissed. The courts are all messed up. I can garatee 20 years from now that old airport would be demolished and would solve part of our traffic/lake/park (green) issues. Everyone would laugh at the court rulings then. It is time for the Airforce base parmanently move to Jessore.

On the rangs building I want it totally removed not partially. If that can not be done then don't break any floors at all. Demolishing 141 building can't solve the issue. Comeon people (CTG), remove the air base and let the building stand.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
It happens in every country all over the world. Government adds roads in the city or outskirt to accommodate ever growing population. Government has the right to demolish any establishment that is on the way of the roads and highway improvement as long as owner is compensated properly.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I am very pissed. The courts are all messed up. I can garatee 20 years from now that old airport would be demolished and would solve part of our traffic/lake/park (green) issues. Everyone would laugh at the court rulings then. It is time for the Airforce base parmanently move to Jessore.

On the rangs building I want it totally removed not partially. If that can not be done then don't break any floors at all.
its actually sad how the building was broken.
The decision came out yesterday and within 24 hrs the building has been broken. The offices in RAngs asked for 15 days to move out and that was not granted. Its simply sad, amar moneh hoi nah giving then the 15 days would have made the traffic situation in Dhaka any worse.

The grameen bank center is one of the buildings that are going to be demolished. Dekhi ki koreh amader Shorkar.

Last edited by Special 1; August 3, 2007 at 10:57 AM..
Old August 3, 2007, 10:57 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
It happens in every country all over the world. Government adds roads in the city or outskirt to accommodate ever growing population. Government has the right to demolish any establishment that is on the way of the roads and highway improvement as long as owner is compensated properly.
I am sorry, I dont think any big city in the world does it. The reason y rangs building is being broken is because of a complaint from the civil aviation of the airport. Not for the purposes of building roads. And the same would go for a 141 other buildings the reason again is civil aviation. All the buildings in kemal atatruk avenue, IDB bhobon, Grameen Center, Brac Center ( i am assuming) all are on that list.
The owners are never compensated properly. Will rangs be compensated for losing their rights to build above 6 floors? Does any one in Dhaka get that?
And plus government does not have the right to demolish any establishment for public welfare. They have to show that the alternative will not be feasible only then can they proceed demolishing by providing proper compensation.
Old August 3, 2007, 11:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Hay hay...Dhaka ke to taina lomba banano jaabe na. Building kaita choto korle manush jabe koi? Hay Allahhh
The funniest thing is that a few of the top environmentalists are happy with this decision. I donno for what? Stupid people.