facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 7, 2007, 11:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

50,000 marooned in fresh flood in Lalmonirhat
UNB, Lalmonirhat

Around 50,000 people of 40 villages in Lalmonirhat have been marooned in fresh flood caused by the last two days’ incessant rain and onrush of hilly water from upstream.

Sources said many areas of Hatibandha, Kaliganj, Aditmari and Sadar upazilas went under floodwater again as river Teesta was flowing above 40cm of its danger mark at Teesta barrage point this morning.

The worst affected areas are Singisari, Char Dhubni, Daiyabari, Haldibari and Sinduna villages under Hatibandha upazila, Shoulmari, Aminbazar and Char Bairati villages under Kaliganj upazila, Mahishkhocha, Polashi and Gobardhan villages under Aditmari upazila and Rajpur, Khunigachh, Moghalhat and Gokunda villages under Sadar upazila.
Official sources said relief works in the district are being hampered due to the inclement weather.

100 thatched houses damaged, 3 injured in Lalmonirhat tornado
UNB, Lalmonirhat

Over 100 thatched houses were razed to the ground and three people injured when a tornado swept over Kadamtala village in Patgram upazila this morning.

Local people said the tornado hit the village at about 7:23am that lasted for 15 seconds, damaging mosques, madrassah and houses extensively.
Standing crops and vegetables on vast areas at the village were damaged and huge number of trees was uprooted during the tornado.

DS>>

Last edited by reverse_swing; September 7, 2007 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: mod.edit:all bold removed & source added! Please try to add source link always.Thanks!
Old September 9, 2007, 09:58 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Breaking News
CA lifts ban on indoor politics
Chief adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed in a televised address to the nation Sunday announced an end to a long-running ban on indoor politics from Monday. He said no more cases would be filed and nobody would be harassed in connection with the incidents at Dhaka University and other public universities across the country late August. The chief adviser in the 25-minute speech said the national taskforce on corruption would not publish any new list of corruption suspects after the current month. Fakhruddin said there may be some mistakes his government made as there were mistakes by any government. The makeshift government chief said his administration has been taking some tough measures only to build a good social infrastructure. "Our efforts will go on to build solid foundations for democracy and good governance and create a context free from corruption and muscle power to make sure that our path to a progressive and democratic society is not hampered," he said. Fakhruddin repeated his pledge to transfer power to elected public representatives after arranging the elections by the 2008 deadline. "I would like to assure you that we are determined to do the work we are meant to do." His announcement caps an eight-month long restriction on parlour politics. The Election Commission has long been asking the government to lift the bar to enable it to hold dialogues with political parties on electoral reforms. Chief Election Commissioner ATM Shamsul Huda earlier in the day had said the Election Commission will ask the chief adviser on September 11 to open the door to indoor politics. Fakhruddin's address was simultaneously broadcast live by the state-run Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar, and the private TV stations.

BDNews24

Old September 9, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman

An expected move from the CTG, a golden opportunity for the BAL/BNP/JIB mafiosi and their even more pathetic chamchas to deal with the new realities of Bangladeshi politics and salvage whatever they can. Despite the so called reforms being proposed by men who kept conveniently silent during the past 15 years of brigandage, I would be surprised if they manage to get more than 75 to 100 seats combined in the 2008 elections. Gone are the days of fradulent voting, thanks to the voter ID card and database.

The question is: who will fill the void?
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; October 20, 2007 at 05:19 AM..
Old September 9, 2007, 11:59 PM
Cricket Legend

'Notun Dharar Rajnity' - apparently a new party coming in the scenario. The man behind is Sirajul Alam Khan Dadabhai from US. Anybody knows him?

Link: http://www.amadershomoy.com/news.php?id=198013&sys=3
Old September 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
'Notun Dharar Rajnity' - apparently a new party coming in the scenario. The man behind is Sirajul Alam Khan Dadabhai from US. Anybody knows him?

Link: http://www.amadershomoy.com/news.php?id=198013&sys=3
Serajul Alam Khan, alias Dada, the mystery man of Bangladesh's politics. Here is his personal website:

SAK Website

Here is another article about him published in probnews:

Behind the scene of a new trend in politics Sirajul Alam Khan

Last edited by Kana-Baba; September 10, 2007 at 09:30 AM..
Old September 10, 2007, 11:28 AM
Cricket Savant

Serajul Alam Khan too is related to my maternal family by marriage, as are his cousins Farhad Mazhar and Faruq Mozammel Haq the environmental activist and former NAP leader. Brilliant guy with a couple of brass ones, ultra cool and heavily on the eccentric side.

Here's a blurb from a link also provided by Kana Baba: -

Quote:
Profile of Serajul Alam Khan

Serajul Alam Khan (SAK), a political theorist, is also generally known as the 'architect' of Bangladesh independence movement. He is the founder of 'Sadhin Bangla Nucleus' (1962); a secret organisation, which spearheaded the war of independence in 1971.

SAK was born in the district of Noakhali on 6th January 1941. He is the second child of his parents Khorshed Alam Khan and Syeda Zakia Khatun. SAK had five brothers and three sisters. As his father was a government officer who used to get transferred from places to places, was away from Noakhali in most of his childhood. He got his Matriculation (SSC) from Khulna Zilla School in 1956 with an outstanding result. He also studied in Dhaka College (1956-1958) and Dhaka University (1958-1962).

Khorshed Alam Khan, SAK's father was an Edinburgh (Scotland) educated person. He started his career as a School Inspector and retired as the Deputy Director of Public Instruction (DDPI) in 1959. According to SAK, his father was his mentor from his childhood.

Syeda Zakia Khatun, SAK's mother comes from a Pir family. She was also moderately educated in her time. Social values and religious-culture was taught by her in the family.

From childhood, every single member of this family had both the lessons of modern and westernized outlook from their father and moderate Muslim values from their mother.

Serajul Alam Khan started politics while he was in Dhaka College. He was a student of science subjects in the college. His extra-curriculum activities in the college brought him in the lime light of future inherent leadership.

He studied Mathematics in Dhaka University. In 1962 while still a student Serajul Alam Khan along with Abdur Razzak and Kazi Aref Ahmed spread out the network of 'Nucleus'; formed Bangladesh Liberation Force (BLF) the political wing of the 'Nucleus' and 'Joi Bangla Bahini', the armed wing of 'Nucleus' by 1969-'70 throughout Bangladesh (former East Pakistan). Later on, at the request from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the BLF high command was reconstituted with Serajul Alam Khan, Sheikh Fazlul Huq Moni, Abdur Razzak and Tofail Ahmed. This BLF was renamed 'Mujib Bahini' in India during the 9-month armed struggle for the liberation of Bangladesh from the Pakistan occupational Army. 'Nucleus' was secretly organised for the independence of Bangladesh. From 1962 it planned and organised mass movements through the historic 6-point and 11-point programmes. The 'Nucleus' first made the 'flag' of Bangladesh and hoisted it on 2nd March 1971. It wrote and published the 'manifesto for independence' and worked out its modalities. This was made public on 3rd March 1971. It also selected the national anthem 'amar sonar bangla …' and coined the slogan 'Joi Bangla' as the theme of independence. The 'Nucleus' and BLF leadership helped Bangabandhu to prepare the historic 7th March speech with the words "… … this is our struggle for emancipation, this is the struggle for independence". The non co-operation movement from 7th March 1971 and a parallel civil administration were also organised by the BLF under the leadership of Bangabandhu. BLF leadership had also conferred the title 'Bangabandhu' on Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

Serajul Alam Khan has developed a great interest in subjects like Philosophy, Sociology, International Relations, Economics, Literatures, Arts, History, Political Science, Scientific ideas and developments. During his almost 7 years of confinement in jail for political reasons on three different occasions and hide-out times (underground) he also studied a lot on Music, Sports, Wars, Classics, Historical novels and so on.

In 1971, just after the independence of Bangladesh SAK with his vast practical experiences as political activist has engaged himself in the 'theoretical work' of political science. In this process he became a visiting professor of Political Science in the University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, USA in 1996.

Quite a few original ideas on politico-administrative models have derived from SAK's books and lectures, which he did in collaboration of another khan, Prof. Zillur R. Khan, a distinguished and a prominent political scientist, ex-chair and presently Rose-bush Professor in the University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, USA. Both 'khans' are still working together at the theoretical level.

Some other brilliant economic developmental models for Bangladesh have also came from Serajul Alam Khan with the help from Prof. Razia Ahmed (BUET) and Mohiuddin Ahmed (researcher and writer).

In the early nineties SAK has put forward a 14-point proposal for adjustments of governance to keep up with the changing national and international political and economic situation for Bangladesh. He has suggested establishment of Upazilla based 'Industrial Zones' funded by the expatriate Bangladeshi Community. Later on these proposals came as an 'open letter' in Bangla in March 2000 addressed to all political parties, bureaucrats, professional communities, intellectuals, NGO's and leaders of different social organisations.

According to Serajul Alam Khan, his extensive travel experiences in Europe, North America and Far East has contributed a lot in his thinking process. In his opinion, his knowledge of Dialectical and Historical Materialism along with visiting libraries, museums, historic places and art galleries contributed to elevate his intellectual height to the present level.

His political associates and friends generally call Serajul Alam Khan as "Dada". Of late Mr. Khan's politico-economic-administrative models have been termed as "SAK Model".

Link:http://www.serajulalamkhan.co.uk/prson.htm
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 11, 2007, 03:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Came across the following piece in a blog, I for one, am unable to make myself believe that past govts misused power and that this govt is made of angels who wont use their influence for their personal or business benefit.....Lets give the CTG the benefit of doubt, but for how long....?

Our righteous caretaker government is obsessed with politicians and businessmen.

They claim certain businesses have gotten undue favours during past governments. That's a fair statement. They screamed bloody murder, grabbed them and threw them in jail or drove some of them out of the country.

I am sure you have read that a new 3rd company have gotten the landline licenses to deploy landline phones in Dhaka. Yep, the much coveted Dhaka license. I was not surprised to see that Square Informatix was the lucky winner.

Now I am sure Square is a fine company and can do a fine job but that's really not the issue here is it?

If people of power in the past is guilty of misusing power, do you think one of the advisors might have something to do with this sudden new entrant in the landline business, that too in Dhaka??
Old September 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Came across the following piece in a blog, I for one, am unable to make myself believe that past govts misused power and that this govt is made of angels who wont use their influence for their personal or business benefit.....Lets give the CTG the benefit of doubt, but for how long....?

Our righteous caretaker government is obsessed with politicians and businessmen.

They claim certain businesses have gotten undue favours during past governments. That's a fair statement. They screamed bloody murder, grabbed them and threw them in jail or drove some of them out of the country.

I am sure you have read that a new 3rd company have gotten the landline licenses to deploy landline phones in Dhaka. Yep, the much coveted Dhaka license. I was not surprised to see that Square Informatix was the lucky winner.

Now I am sure Square is a fine company and can do a fine job but that's really not the issue here is it?

If people of power in the past is guilty of misusing power, do you think one of the advisors might have something to do with this sudden new entrant in the landline business, that too in Dhaka??
Are you sure Square Informatix is a new entrant? They have been doing networks and stuff from 2000 as far as i know.
Secondly I do not thinK it was T Chowdhury's decision, so you really cannot claim that he used his influence in this decision. Finally, i know for a fact that Square recalled bids for three powerplant projects as soon as T. chowdhury became advisor. This was to avoid any controversy and remark/question such as the one you are making.
Old September 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
Are you sure Square Informatix is a new entrant? They have been doing networks and stuff from 2000 as far as i know.
Secondly I do not thinK it was T Chowdhury's decision, so you really cannot claim that he used his influence in this decision. Finally, i know for a fact that Square recalled bids for three powerplant projects as soon as T. chowdhury became advisor. This was to avoid any controversy and remark/question such as the one you are making.
Very likely that Square won the bid fair and square. But this was an interesting angle I picked up from salamdhaka.blogspot.com (should have mentioned it in my previous post)
Old September 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The flood water is rising again. This time the damage is more severe. The crops that the farmers planted are all lost. When it rains it pours.
Old September 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Let's read that again, shall we:
"Now I am sure Square is a fine company and can do a fine job but that's really not the issue here is it?"
So, was the bid not competitive? Is Square guilty of bad business practices? If not, then what is he complaining about? Let's have some real facts, shall we, not this slimy innuendo. One notes that the blog you quoted from, salamdhaka.blogspot.com, has a tendency to indulge in rather deceitful fearmongering -- its previous entry said CSB was closed down because they showed too much footage of DU violence instead of citing the real cause: that it was forced to stop operations for seven days on Thursday for allegedly forging documents for its frequency approval.
Old September 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Came across the following piece in a blog, I for one, am unable to make myself believe that past govts misused power and that this govt is made of angels..
I, for one, like to chip in here too, may I?

Please, don't try hard in believing what you don't want to. You are entitled to believe in anything you want to. I'd respect your rights. On the same note, I'm (and others too) also entitled to make personal judgement on you and it should be obvious even to you. By the way, this CTG are not angels, they made some mistakes, they officially admitted it unlike others.
Old September 11, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Let's read that again, shall we:
"Now I am sure Square is a fine company and can do a fine job but that's really not the issue here is it?"
So, was the bid not competitive? Is Square guilty of bad business practices? If not, then what is he complaining about? Let's have some real facts, shall we, not this slimy innuendo. One notes that the blog you quoted from, salamdhaka.blogspot.com, has a tendency to indulge in rather deceitful fearmongering -- its previous entry said CSB was closed down because they showed too much footage of DU violence instead of citing the real cause: that it was forced to stop operations for seven days on Thursday for allegedly forging documents for its frequency approval.
Shaad bhai, if you look at his previous post in this thread (he generally posts in political thread only), you will find he has something against CTG from the very beginning (without even evaluating CTG activities).
Old September 11, 2007, 06:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
Shaad bhai, if you look at his previous post in this thread (he generally posts in political thread only), you will find he has something against CTG from the very beginning (without even evaluating CTG activities).
Well, I don't claim to know Banglatiger84's mind; and I support his right to present his opinions, even if I might disagree with some of them. My comments here were directed not at him, but at the entry in the blog he quoted (salamdhaka.blogspot.com). That entry, redolent with the type of yellow journalism in which nothing factual is ever stated but in which the writer tries to smear his targets with suggestions of wrongdoing, is utterly reprehensible.
Old September 12, 2007, 09:58 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Tsunami may surge up to Bangladesh coast after midnight

A tsunami may surge up to Bangladesh coast after Wednesday midnight following an earthquake near southern Sumatra of Indonesia, a Met warning said.

“It may generate tsunami wave in the Bay of Bengal of the North Indian Ocean that may reach Bangladesh coast after midnight (tonight),” said a Met Office bulletin in the evening.

A massive earthquake measuring 8.5 on Richter scale hit near southern Sumatra of Indonesia in the afternoon. The earthquake may trigger undersea waves called tsunami in Japanese terms.

If so, it is going to be a re-visitation by the fearful calamity, as several lakh people were killed in many countries, including Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and India, in an Indian Ocean tsunami on December 26 in 2004 following a massive earthquake in the same area.
DS
Old September 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaman
I, for one, like to chip in here too, may I?

Please, don't try hard in believing what you don't want to. You are entitled to believe in anything you want to. I'd respect your rights. On the same note, I'm (and others too) also entitled to make personal judgement on you and it should be obvious even to you. By the way, this CTG are not angels, they made some mistakes, they officially admitted it unlike others.
....and issue apologies where needed.
Old September 16, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cricket Legend

http://www.ajkerkagoj.com/2007/Sept17/1st_page.html#2

Question on why some leaders are in Sinagapore at the same time.
Old September 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Most of the people want party reform. Most of them are city dwellers. Less are based in villages (although more than 50% villagers support the reform).

Besides, there was not much disagreement among people thinking transparent trial of Hasina-Khaleda should take place. None showed patronizing attitude towards these leaders. People are more matured now in evaluating this point.

Some interesting points are coming out of this census.

Source: http://www.prothom-alo.com/index.new...hp?nid=MTA2Nzg=
Old September 26, 2007, 04:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi

ACC charges Tarique, wife, mother-in-law
Source
Dhaka, Sept 26 (bdnews24.com) – The Anticorruption Commission Wednesday filed a case against former prime minister Khaleda Zia's elder son Tarique Rahman, his wife Zobaida Rahman and mother-in-law Iqbal Mand Banu on charges of concealing information on assets.

ACC deputy director Zahirul Huda filed the case with Kafrul Police Station at 2:28pm.

The three face charges of illegally acquiring Tk 4.75 crore wealth and holding back information in their account of assets to the corruption watchdog.
Old September 26, 2007, 05:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Source
Dhaka, Sept 26 (bdnews24.com) – The Anticorruption Commission Wednesday filed a case against former prime minister Khaleda Zia's elder son Tarique Rahman, his wife Zobaida Rahman and mother-in-law Iqbal Mand Banu on charges of concealing information on assets.

ACC deputy director Zahirul Huda filed the case with Kafrul Police Station at 2:28pm.

The three face charges of illegally acquiring Tk 4.75 crore wealth and holding back information in their account of assets to the corruption watchdog.
Old September 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Source

only 4.75 crore!!
Old September 27, 2007, 01:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Very sad news...........he was one of many such lecturers who returned to Bangladesh after completing a degree abroad and joined a private university.

Unfortunately such gruesome cases may discourage prospective returnees to return...

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=5596

NSU teacher killed by muggers

Staff Correspondent

A teacher of North South University (NSU) was strangled to death allegedly by muggers at Gulshan in the capital on Tuesday night.

Besides, police recovered the body of a CNG-run auto-rickshaw driver from the Mohakhali flyover the same night, believed to be killed also by muggers.

Dewan Rahat Karim Mukul, 36, a lecturer of School of Business of NSU, was found unconscious near the Army Stadium at around 8:45pm by police and was rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) where doctors declared him dead at 10:00pm.

Morgue sources said that they found balm and powdered chilli in the victim's eyes and face, which indicates that his assailants might have been members of 'malam party,' the kind of muggers' gang which forcibly puts toxic ointment into their target's eyes and snatches their belongings.

Police inquest report mentioned that Rahat was strangled to death. There were also injuries to his eyes, head, neck and ears.

Family of the deceased said that Rahat went out of his Naeem Road house at Dhanmondi at around 8:00am for his university.

Quoting the NSU officials, the family said he took a class after attending an iftar party at the university and then started for home at about 8:20pm.

When they called to his mobile phone at around 9:00pm, they found it switched off. Meantime, they called Rahat's in-laws at Nakhalpara in Tejgaon.

When Rahat's in-laws went to Gulshan Police Station, the police informed them that they had rescued an unconscious man from near the Army Stadium and took him to DMCH, Rahat's family said quoting the in-laws.

The criminals took mobile phone and money from Rahat.

Khan Mohammad Mainul Zakir, sub-inspector of Gulshan Police Station, said that while patrolling the surrounding areas of Army Stadium they found Rahat after being informed through wireless.

Gulshan police said they suspect that the 'malam party' muggers might have dropped him there after strangling him in some other place.

None could be arrested and filing of a case was under process as of 7:00pm yesterday.

Rahat was buried at the family graveyard of his in-laws at Nakhalpara yesterday.

His family said that Rahat did not have enmity with anyone and he used to return home by CNG-run three-wheelers by 8:00pm.

Rahat did his honours and masters in Accounting from Dhaka University and later completed his MBA from Japan, they said adding he joined NSU in 2006.

He was supposed leave for Australia to do PhD in February next year and had completed all the necessary work in this regard.

Rahat was also a part time teacher of Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) Institute at Uttara, his family added.

The NSU authorities expressed profound shock at the killing of Rahat. All the teachers, students, officials and employees of the university conveyed their deep sympathy to the members of the bereaved family.

They also demanded immediate arrest of the killers and their exemplary punishment.

Meanwhile, unidentified criminals killed a driver of a CNG-run auto-rickshaw and took his CNG leaving the body on the Mohakhali flyover on Tuesday night.

The deceased was identified as Hasmat Ali Mollah, 40, a resident of Muktijodhha complex on Chiriyakhana road in Mirpur.

Gulshan police recovered the body from the flyover at around 9:00pm and took it to DMCH where the attending doctors declared him dead.

Babu Mollah, son of Hasmat, said his father went out on Tuesday morning and remained missing since then.

He identified his father's body at DMCH yesterday. He also filed a murder case with Gulshan Police Station.
Old September 27, 2007, 05:29 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Really sad news. May his soul rest in peace.
Old September 27, 2007, 05:31 AM

Sad news indeed, may his soul rest in peace. May Allah help his family to overcome this painful situation.
Old September 27, 2007, 05:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Is it the act of "Oggan Party" in BD?