facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
বাংলাক্রিকেটের আমেরকা নিবাসী বিপ্লবী সদস্যরা সাবধান থাইকেন।

ভাই ফজল কিছুদিন একটু চিপায় যান
Oh no I missed it. NY is too far any way. Let me know in advance if any thing happens in DC. I want to see for fun, what these Secret agents of Fakruddin do to me. Do you think "Faku Mia Sucks" placard will be enough to get those BD secret agent's attention?

Mollar dhor Masjid porjonto are these Fakruddin's secret agent-er dhor BD porjonto and I am not going to go to BD pretty soon. So I should be safe. Sometimes these kind of chellenge makes me do, what ususally I wouldn't do.
Old September 30, 2007, 09:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsd3
Is it the act of "Oggan Party" in BD?
Yes.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 30, 2007, 09:33 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Oh no I missed it. NY is too far any way. Let me know in advance if any thing happens in DC. I want to see for fun, what these Secret agents of Fakruddin do to me. Do you think "Faku Mia Sucks" placard will be enough to get those BD secret agent's attention?

Mollar dhor Masjid porjonto are these Fakruddin's secret agent-er dhor BD porjonto and I am not going to go to BD pretty soon. So I should be safe. Sometimes these kind of chellenge makes me do, what ususally I wouldn't do.
Haven't seen the "Faku Mia Sucks" plackard during chief advisors recent visit to address UN general assembly.

ভাইজান কি একটু বেশী চিপা থেকে প্ল্যাকার্ড দেখাইছেন নাকি?
Old October 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I'm sad to read all these news about murders. Reminds me of my eldest chacha, killed by muggers just because he refused to give his and his secretary's belongings. I know how painful this moment could be for their families now. Hope their souls rest in peace.
Old October 4, 2007, 01:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

If people get the chance, watch the ekusher shomoy episode with RAfiqul islam and akbar ali khan. it was aired on ETV on the 3rd of october9 30 p.m. it talks about a lot of things that is being discussed in this thread.
Old October 4, 2007, 05:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
If people get the chance, watch the ekusher shomoy episode with RAfiqul islam and akbar ali khan. it was aired on ETV on the 3rd of october9 30 p.m. it talks about a lot of things that is being discussed in this thread.
A summary of your findings would be appreciated. Cudn't find the source from the post re Ekusher Shomoy!!?
Old October 4, 2007, 02:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
A summary of your findings would be appreciated. Cudn't find the source from the post re Ekusher Shomoy!!?
The basic summary was:
Rafiqul islam: He claimed that most of the things the CTG were doing wre illegal. He did not coment on whether he had moral support towards the things they are doing, but did say that there are existing laws within the country that they should follow in order to do whatever they are doing.
He provided various examples of cases, including hasina, khaleda and election commisions declaration of several elections, which were unconstitutional under CTG rule. And did provide a way in which it can be sorted out and encouraged the govt to follow that.
Akbar ALi khan: TAlked about the moral implications of having double standards with politicans and businessmen. and talked about truth commision (which he was against atleast under the current framework), emergency situation, shonkskar and things of that sort.
Old October 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi

ACC makes public list of 35
Source: The Daily Star

The Anti-corruption Commission (ACC) published the fourth list of graft suspects yesterday, comprising 35 people including 11 former BNP legislators, five former Awami League lawmakers, a former Jatiya Party MP and five bureaucrats.

FULL LIST OF SUSPECTS

1. Dhaka City Corporation (DCC) Mayor Sadeque Hossain Khoka, 2. AL presidium member Tofail Ahmed, 3. Former BNP state minister Maj (retd) Kamrul Islam, 4. AL presidium member Syeda Sajeda Chowdhury, 5. Khulna City Corporation Mayor Shaikh Tayebur Rahman, 6. Former BNP MP Shahidul Haq Jamal, 7. Former adviser to the prime minister (Khaleda Zia) Prof Jahanara Begum, 8. Son of former finance minister M Saifur Rahman, Shafiur Rahman Babu, 9. Former BNP state minister AKM Mosharraf Hossain, 10. Former BNP MP Sardar Shakhawat Hossain Bakul, 11. Former BNP MP Elias Ali, 12. Former AL MP AKM Rahmatullah, 13. Former law secretary Alauddin Sardar, 14. Former adviser to a caretaker government Justice M Fazlul Huq, 15. Former AL state minister KM Jahangir, 16. Former APS (2) to ex-prime minister (PM) Khaleda Zia, Deputy Secretary Abdul Matin, 17. Former chairman of BRTC Taimur Alam Khandaker, 18. Former APS (1) to ex-PM Khaleda Zia, Deputy Secretary Shamsul Alam, 19. Former managing director of Essential Drugs Company Ltd Harun-Al Rashid, 20. Former communications secretary Rezaul Hayat, 21. Deputy Secretary Alauddin Nasim, 22. Former AL MP Quazi Zafar Ullah, 23. Former BNP MP Fazlul Haque Milon, 24. Former BNP MP Abul Khayer Bhuiyan, 25. Former BNP MP Prof Jainal Abedin alias VP Jainal, 26. Former BNP MP Dewan Salauddin, 27. Proshika Chairman Kazi Faruque, 28. Former BNP deputy minister Asadul Habib Dulu, 29. Former Jatiya Party MP Mashiur Rahman Ranga, 30. Former managing director of Teletalk Md Obaidullah, 31. Building inspector and Rajuk CBA president Amir Khasru, 32. Former Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) secretary Eshaq Ali Khan Panna, 33. Former chairman of Srimangal municipality Mohsin Mia alias Madhu, 34. Former BCL president Enamul Huq Shamim, and 35. BNP leader Shish Muhammad of Rajshahi.
Old October 5, 2007, 12:00 AM
ODI Cricketer

I am wondering where golden_asif and all his FDIs are?
Old October 5, 2007, 11:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I have heard stories (this info is almost 10 years old and I can't vouch for it) of Tofail getting bundles of cash delivered to his place even when he was in the opposition (the idea being that you need to keep all the major leaders happy regardless of their political affiliations because you never know when the tubles will be turned!). Well, IF these stories were true then justice is indeed catching up to him.
Old October 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobair
I have heard stories (this info is almost 10 years old and I can't vouch for it) of Tofail getting bundles of cash delivered to his place even when he was in the opposition (the idea being that you need to keep all the major leaders happy regardless of their political affiliations because you never know when the tubles will be turned!). Well, IF these stories were true then justice is indeed catching up to him.
All the critics of CG have been complaining that people like Tofail, Khoka, and mannan bhuyian are getting unfair advantage from CG. They will have less to complain now. Will they?
Old October 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
Test Cricketer

A positive news for all Bangladeshi people.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2423643.cms

DHAKA: Britain has assured to assist the interim government in Bangladesh in recovering millions of dollars that were siphoned off abroad by corrupt politicians and officials during previous regimes.

Director for Asia at the UK foreign and commonwealth office John Dennis promised the British assistance in his meeting with Bangladeshs powerful Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) here on Tuesday.

"We are glad to help ACC in its activities. The anti-corruption drive is extremely important to create a responsible and responsive political society," the visiting British official said.

The ACC officials said they already gave information about two suspected money launders who smuggled out "huge amount" of money to UK as Britain sought specific information while the recovery cost will be paid off from the money recovered.

"We are working to strike a deal with the Scotland Yard for recovering the money smuggled off from the country," the ACC secretary Mukhles Ur Rahman yesterday told a daily adding that an agreement must be signed between the two countries for the cooperation to take place.

The development came weeks after ACC Chairman and retired lieutenant general Hasan Mashhud Chowhdury visited Scotland Yard, the British law enforcement agency.

Chief Adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed earlier this week urged the international community to help the interim non-party administration in recovering huge amounts of money siphoned off abroad as it spearheaded a massive anti-graft campaign since its installation in January this year.

Nearly 200 high profile politicians including two former prime ministers, businessmen and bureaucrats were arrested as part of the massive anti-graft campaign when the government also published three lists of influential corruption suspects containing 222 names.

The ACC or the Bangladesh Bank has no concrete account of the money but different government sources said, between the months of April and August this year, the government recovered more than Taka 3,315 crore of siphoned off money.

World Bank and Britains Department for International Development (DFID) and Scotland Yard earlier announced to extend hands to Bangladeshs efforts to repatriate the siphoned off money while officials said they were trying to reach deals with several foreign central banks to locate the ill-gotten gains abroad.

World Bank vice president Praful C Patel earlier said Bangladeshi assets had either been stolen or smuggled outside the country for the last several years while "corruption had eaten up nearly three per cent of the countrys growth rate".

A number of embassies including the Australian and the British high commissions also offered technical support and cooperation to the ACC's new effort of initiating an investigation of institutional corruption, expected to begin in December this year.
Old October 8, 2007, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...&postcount=291
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...&postcount=300
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...&postcount=303

A special court dealing with high-profile graft cases Monday sentenced former Awami League minister Mohammad Nasim to 13 years in jail after it convicted him of having undeclared assets and concealing the information. The court also handed his wife Laila Arzumand Banu three years' jail term on charges of aiding her husband in amassing assets. Banu is absconding. On March 21, ACC assistant director Mahbubul Alam filed a case with Dhanmondi Police Station against Nasim and Banu on charge of concealing wealth information of Tk 1.64 crore. Judge Md Firoz Alam of Special Judge's Court-1 imposed a fine of Tk 10 lakh on Nasim, the former home minister. He will have to serve another year in prison if he fails to pay the fine. The court also fined Banu Tk 1 lakh and said she would have to stay another month in jail if she fails to pay the fine. Source: BDNEWS24.com
Old October 8, 2007, 08:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

wait till change in goverment...
Old October 8, 2007, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
Does it mean that the new govt will change the verdict and free all up who are already proven guilty in the court?
Old October 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Roof collapses at BNS
Journalists escape catastrophe
Sports Reporter

IMAGINE HAD IT COLLAPSED A FEW HOURS AGO: A street urchin playfully walks on the collapsed roof of the press box at the Bangabandhu National Stadium yesterday. Thankfully the roof fell a couple of hours after the World Cup pre-qualifying match between Bangladesh and Tajikistan on Monday night, avoiding a possible human disaster. Photo: STAR
Nearly a hundred media men survived a close call on Monday as the roof of the press box at the Bangabandhu National Stadium came off a few hours after the 2010 World Cup pre-qualifier between Bangladesh and Tajikistan.
The entire hanging roof, which was hastily built last year as part of the venue's renovation for the AFC Challenge Cup in Dhaka, collapsed during a rainstorm after 9pm.
Fortunately, there was no one there at the time.
Had it been a night match and started around regulation 7pm, the journalists covering the match would have been a part of a great tragedy for sure. [theDailyStar]

Old October 9, 2007, 02:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Shala ki ar bolbo. Romjan maash ta shesh'o hocchey na.
Old October 9, 2007, 02:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Who is your Shala? Do we know him?
What you want to say?
Why Romjan Maash is preventing you to say what you want to say?
Old October 12, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Does it mean that the new govt will change the verdict and free all up who are already proven guilty in the court?
Could you please shed some light? Cuz many are waiting to see how the new govt will act after election. Your confident input might give some idea in that line. Thanks.
Old October 13, 2007, 08:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
I think Bangladeshi people know better now what they knew before. Now we know how deshpramik Khaleda and Hasina truly are! It is just sad for Bangladeshi people! Few people are still in love with older ways sure but I think we now know that Bangladeshi government is capable of leading corruption free as CTG. Next government should be careful not to let the criminals go free and start corruption all over again.

Next government should remember whatever is happaning to Hasina and Khaleda will happen to them if they fail to corruption! This is not a request!
Old October 23, 2007, 06:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Judiciary Separation
Govt, admin cadre meet to end row
Staff Correspondent

A negotiation yesterday between Bangladesh Administrative Service Association and the law adviser apparently cleared the obstruction to separation of the judiciary from the executive on November 1 as the association moved away from the cadres' demand of deferring the date.

The separation is going to take place on the slated date and the government assured the association of looking into the "inconsistencies" in four rules promulgated for separation, association leaders said yesterday after the meeting convened to ease tension created over the issue.

Although both the law adviser and the association leaders said they were yet to reach a decision regarding the whole issue and that talks will continue, both the sides said separation will be implemented on the scheduled date.

"I'm feeling reassured… By the grace of Allah, the judiciary is going to be separated [from the executive] on November 1," Law Adviser Mainul Hosein said after the meeting ...

READ MORE
FINALLY the truly MOMENTOUS occasion's just days way ...

Quote:
No uncertainty in polls by end-2008
General Moyeen says at Boston reception
Staff Correspondent

Army chief General Moeen U Ahmed said fears over the uncertainty of holding free, fair, credible elections will be proved baseless by the end of 2008, as the government will take adequate measures in the remaining 14 months.

He was speaking at a civic reception in Boston, United States yesterday.

Asked when the army would return to the barracks, a smiling Moeen replied, "Where would the army return? Where do you want to expel us? We are citizens of Bangladesh, after all. So we will stay with you and share your moments of joy and sadness."

"There is still 14 months left to hold elections in accordance with the roadmap. Fourteen months is not a short time… a lot will happen during this time. So, those who are anxious about whether acceptable elections can be held in a free, fair, and credible climate, their fears will be proved baseless," he said.

He said the present caretaker government is fulfilling a promise given by the past three elected governments, by separating the judiciary from November 1, reports US-based news agency ENA.

But Moeen quickly added that it would have to take place gradually because a lot of judges will be required and the government plans to train magistrates to fill in the posts.

He said $129 million dubious or illegally earned money siphoned off overseas has been brought back to Bangladesh and deposited in the central bank. He said another $72 million has been recovered but is stuck in legal disputes.

Moeen said another $214 million would be brought to Bangladesh soon using the same process.

"This government is here to reinstate democracy. But everyone has to remember that corruption devours democracy. So, this war against corruption will continue until the corruption levels are brought down to a tolerable limit," he said.

The general said the military sacrificed everything to assist the caretaker government in holding free, fair and credible elections, after they realised the importance of protecting the country from internal and external enemies.

The army chief also cited the caretaker government's achievements, such as recasting and reforming the Election Commission, Anti-corruption Commission, Public Service Commission and the University Grants Commission.

He said government policies have succeeded in reducing the prices of cement, iron rods, and power-line poles, while no relief materials were stolen nor did anyone die from hunger after the floods.

The general also told the audience that the government is trying not to let Biman Bangladesh Airlines Ltd lose its slot at New York's John F Kennedy Airport.

Biman is scheduled to lose the slot on October 26 if no flights operate on that route.

Moeen told the non-resident Bangladeshis that their only identity should be "Bangladeshi" and they should not divide themselves along Bangladeshi political or regional lines, as this would weaken the community.

He said Bangladeshis overseas should unite under the banner "One flag, One Nation, One Country--Our Bangladesh" idea.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=8471
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old October 23, 2007, 09:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Biman is scheduled to lose the slot on October 26 if no flights operate on that route.
IMO, Biman needs to buy efficient liners before they proceed with any more flights between NY and DHK. I can't believe that the previous admins have sucked EVERY possible penny out of this organization.

Didn't the gov't decide to privatize Biman? What's happening with that? Any updates?
Old October 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I watched some snippets of one of Gen. Moeen's interviews in the U.S. and I must say I was pleasantly surprised by his passion and sincerity and obvious intelligence.
Old October 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Bangladesh Administrative Service Association - What bl**dy association. Shob association nipat jak. Wants to hold both post? scoundrels. TV'tey eder boktobbo ar matobbari dekhley rokto gorom hoiye jai.
Old October 23, 2007, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

[quote=Sohel NR;557928]
"He said $129 million dubious or illegally earned money siphoned off overseas has been brought back to Bangladesh and deposited in the central bank. He said another $72 million has been recovered but is stuck in legal disputes.

Moeen said another $214 million would be brought to Bangladesh soon using the same process. "

I think previously there were comments somewhere in this thread re validity of money being actually brought back from foreign banks. The latest news clip gathered on this shows:
‘None of the countries is interested in repatriating money as such a provision goes against their banking laws’. this was reported on the caption

"Repatriation of siphoned money hits a snag"

Source: http://www.newagebd.com/front.html#2