facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
BangladeshFan's Avatar
BangladeshFan BangladeshFan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: May 16, 2004
Posts: 2,158
Default try tamim in place of mehrab

once again mehrab jnr made 12 with SR 42% and you can be rest assured he is the slowest of all. why persist with this tortoise when we have supposedly a hardhitter in tamim in the squad? Bd selectors need a wakeup call, wasting deliveries is not a sign of good batsmanship, it can be if someone can make up by scoring quickly later in the innings and make a big score. mehrab is unable to make a big score and the best he can do is to finish with SR 50% that too against this zimbo attack.

i hope some selectors or DW reading the thread though it is highly unlikely.
__________________
When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Gets Going.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old February 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
Aritro Aritro is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 18, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,924

It's probably too late to throw Tamim to the wolves at the World Cup.

I have to say, however, that Mehrab could prove to be quite a liability at the World Cup. I'm all for our openers taking a cautious approach at the beginning of an innings, and Mehrab is certainly better equipped technically for that role than Javed Omar ever was, but it's getting to a point where we could fall too far behind the 8-ball to recover later in the innings against a strong team.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
Farhad's Avatar
Farhad Farhad is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 11, 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan
Posts: 2,827

Im actually with this one.....I think Tamim should be given a try in the next match.
__________________
^True dat^
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
sar2005's Avatar
sar2005 sar2005 is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 1, 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 2,539

Jr. is defnitely talented and hope time will prove that. But for the moement, it feel like we have imported a younger and left-handed version of JO. I hope I am wrong.
__________________
Subhanallah! Al-Hamdulillah!! AllahuAkbar!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 4, 2007, 12:04 PM
shamster shamster is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 9, 2006
Posts: 913

Yes I agree too - Tamim should be given a go. If he plays all guns blazing then we need an anchor man which Mehrab failed to do.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 4, 2007, 12:09 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,285

Please do not underestimate a need for a batsman who can hold it for you. It may look like he is wasting balls, in reality you may need the grafter against India and srilanka just to bat 50 overs.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 4, 2007, 12:44 PM
Farhad's Avatar
Farhad Farhad is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 11, 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan
Posts: 2,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
Please do not underestimate a need for a batsman who can hold it for you. It may look like he is wasting balls, in reality you may need the grafter against India and srilanka just to bat 50 overs.
Yeah, and he did a great job batting for 50 overs in this match against a team like zimbabwe
__________________
^True dat^

Last edited by Farhad; February 4, 2007 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
cricketboy's Avatar
cricketboy cricketboy is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Jr. is defnitely talented and hope time will prove that. But for the moement, it feel like we have imported a younger and left-handed version of JO. I hope I am wrong.
Mehrab is lucky. If it was any other international team except Bangladesh and Zimbabwe he would have been out of the team after failing 2-3 matches.. We have given him 7 chances if I am not wrong and thats a lot. Time for Tamim.
__________________
~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

I am all for playing Tamim in the rest of the matches. People say that tamim is inexperienced and hence should not be tried before the world cup. So are they trying to say that mehrab is experienced and we should stick to him? How absurd. Both are inexperienced and we have nothing to lose if we try out tamim. In fact we have all to gain. If tamim can perform well then we will be better equipped for the world cup. If you people want to stick to experience then mehrab should also not be in the WC squad and instead we should bring back Javed omar !!!!!!!! I say tamim must play in place of mehrab and if he performs we should take him to the world cup.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 4, 2007, 02:08 PM
shujan shujan is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2004
Posts: 1,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I am all for playing Tamim in the rest of the matches. People say that tamim is inexperienced and hence should not be tried before the world cup. So are they trying to say that mehrab is experienced and we should stick to him? How absurd. Both are inexperienced and we have nothing to lose if we try out tamim. In fact we have all to gain. If tamim can perform well then we will be better equipped for the world cup. If you people want to stick to experience then mehrab should also not be in the WC squad and instead we should bring back Javed omar !!!!!!!! I say tamim must play in place of mehrab and if he performs we should take him to the world cup.
Tamim should get a chance to prove himself. Hopefully it happens soon. In wc I truly like Javed over Mehrab and Tamim. Javed has just scored a century in domestic leage. His batting is back in form. Javed also has experience against India and Srilanka. He does very good against subcontinent team. In worldcup opener my choices are SN and JO.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
sunniath sunniath is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 15, 2004
Location: Edison, NJ
Posts: 904

all players will probably get a chance.let us win the first two games and secure the series.then the management can rotate players.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 4, 2007, 03:28 PM
capslock capslock is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: August 29, 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,743

Yeah, I have to say I was initially excited by Mehrab, but he has had enough chances to prove himself, and it's not even like he gets to big scores slowly, he just eats up balls and get out in the teens or the twenties at the most, and this is against the weakest test margin; might as well give Tamim a try.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 4, 2007, 04:27 PM
sadi's Avatar
sadi sadi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Location: In my room
Favorite Player: Mushi
Posts: 6,709

Both Mehrab and Tamim hasn't played against any quality opposition. So when someone says how does Mehrab is better than Tamim in terms of experience, ofcourse they have a point. However, Mehrab played a lot of games for the A team and also have experience touring England and Australia for the age group if I am not mistaken. For me, it is quite a hard decision to make. In one hand, I want to see explosive strokeplay from Tamim who can give us a great start. On the other hand, eventhough Mehrab didn't score big in any of his games, he always had a decent opening partnership with Nafees and they seem to play well together and give us a decent start. When playing against a quality opposition, you need to have a good start to create an upset. So, if I were the selectors, I would give Mehrab one more game and then try Tamim for the last two games. Lets see what they can offer and then judge.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Both Mehrab and Tamim hasn't played against any quality opposition. So when someone says how does Mehrab is better than Tamim in terms of experience, ofcourse they have a point. However, Mehrab played a lot of games for the A team and also have experience touring England and Australia for the age group if I am not mistaken. For me, it is quite a hard decision to make. In one hand, I want to see explosive strokeplay from Tamim who can give us a great start. On the other hand, eventhough Mehrab didn't score big in any of his games, he always had a decent opening partnership with Nafees and they seem to play well together and give us a decent start. When playing against a quality opposition, you need to have a good start to create an upset. So, if I were the selectors, I would give Mehrab one more game and then try Tamim for the last two games. Lets see what they can offer and then judge.
I am the only "someone" who had pointed that out i think. So I am taking your post as a reply to mine.
First of all you are right when you say that mehrab had experience playing in the A team and age group cricket. Well so has Tamim, because that is were they both come from. As far as I know Tamim and Mehrab are both novices when it comes to experience. Mehrab has already had 8 ODI matches to play and he has shown that he is good at eating up balls. Scoring slowly does not make someone a good batsman. If he has trouble scoring against weak bowling of ZIM and Scotland then he would sturggle more against the other test team attacks. Also he is not scoring big while playing slow so you cannot say he is anchoring the batting. There is no way one ca justify his position in the team other than the fact that his predecessor was worse than him. However that is not a good justification when you have better players waiting in the wings. I am not saying Tamim wil be better than Mehrab or more successful but I want to give himchance in all the other ODI's and see his performance against this ZIm attack. Then BD will be in a better position to make a decision about their WC opening pair. I would rather go in the WC with Javed Omar than Mehrab jnr.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 4, 2007, 04:49 PM
sadi's Avatar
sadi sadi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Location: In my room
Favorite Player: Mushi
Posts: 6,709

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I am the only "someone" who had pointed that out i think. So I am taking your post as a reply to mine.
First of all you are right when you say that mehrab had experience playing in the A team and age group cricket. Well so has Tamim, because that is were they both come from. As far as I know Tamim and Mehrab are both novices when it comes to experience. Mehrab has already had 8 ODI matches to play and he has shown that he is good at eating up balls. Scoring slowly does not make someone a good batsman. If he has trouble scoring against weak bowling of ZIM and Scotland then he would sturggle more against the other test team attacks. Also he is not scoring big while playing slow so you cannot say he is anchoring the batting. There is no way one ca justify his position in the team other than the fact that his predecessor was worse than him. However that is not a good justification when you have better players waiting in the wings. I am not saying Tamim wil be better than Mehrab or more successful but I want to give himchance in all the other ODI's and see his performance against this ZIm attack. Then BD will be in a better position to make a decision about their WC opening pair. I would rather go in the WC with Javed Omar than Mehrab jnr.
I guess you and I agree that Tamim should get some chances and then we can decide who to go with in the World cup. Mehrab will have no advantage over Tamim in terms of Odi experience however, I do not agree when you say they ahve similar age group experience. Mehrab has been playing for age group long before Tamim and has more experience. Tamim played 12 first class and 7 List A games while Mehrab played 22 first class and 27 List A games. While Tamim has a List A average of 17, Mehrab's average is 34.

Again, I totally agree that Tamim is more explosive player than Mehrab and can give us a flying start. But he is way too unexperienced and hasn't proved just yet how good can he be. Sure he can get some chances to display his talents and potential but till he do that, Mehrab will be the choice. About Javed Omar, well no comment. You are entitled to have your opinion, but I strongly disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
ialbd's Avatar
ialbd ialbd is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 7, 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,846

not worried abt Tamim getting a chance in this series, cuz with the talent Tamim has he can be in the national team in the future for sure,

I am more worried abt Mehrab Jr, I always get a feeling that its a Javed Omar in the making...... com'on Mehrab prove me wrong....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
I guess you and I agree that Tamim should get some chances and then we can decide who to go with in the World cup. Mehrab will have no advantage over Tamim in terms of Odi experience however, I do not agree when you say they ahve similar age group experience. Mehrab has been playing for age group long before Tamim and has more experience. Tamim played 12 first class and 7 List A games while Mehrab played 22 first class and 27 List A games. While Tamim has a List A average of 17, Mehrab's average is 34.

Again, I totally agree that Tamim is more explosive player than Mehrab and can give us a flying start. But he is way too unexperienced and hasn't proved just yet how good can he be. Sure he can get some chances to display his talents and potential but till he do that, Mehrab will be the choice. About Javed Omar, well no comment. You are entitled to have your opinion, but I strongly disagree.
See that is where I have a problem. You seem to be supporting mehrab for the opening slot but my question is based on what ? I do not see any difference between him and Javed omar excpet that mehrab has a better technique. The only reason we had good starts in the opening partnerships is because SN has had a good run with the bat and mehrab was there to eat up the balls while SN was scoring the runs. The stats are therefore decieving. I dont think it would make any difference if JO was at the other end with Sn scoring majority of the runs. SN is himself a cautious player and is not the most aggressive opener. He can play as our anchor and we need someone in the other end who is more aggressive and can give us a good start. Since Tamim is in the squad now I would have him play instead of mehrab. I dont think mehrab should even be in the team for the WC. He needs to imrpove a lot if he has to play in ODIs for bangladesh. When I mention JO it is not because I want him back but to show how "high" I think of Mehrab. To me we have just replaced one bad opener(JO) with a younger version(MHJ) of him.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 4, 2007, 05:35 PM
Thunder's Avatar
Thunder Thunder is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 10, 2006
Location: The Whole World
Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Posts: 509

Since Mehrab jr. is introduced to the opening slot, we didn't have a single digit opening partnership for the last 5 or 6 games.

Although Mehrab jr. is more like a junior version of javed omar, the main difference is he is consistant! Although he made only 12 but played 28 balls and he should not be judged by one single innings.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
kaisermatin's Avatar
kaisermatin kaisermatin is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 6, 2005
Location: Windy city
Favorite Player: Any consistent performer
Posts: 720

keep mehrab on the crease. we have tested too much of ashraful. may be tamim can replace him for the zimbawbe tour. 22 from ashraful is disgraceful.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 4, 2007, 08:54 PM
SMHasan's Avatar
SMHasan SMHasan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2005
Location: Dhaka
Posts: 3,061

I believe Tamim will get couple of chances in this series which might be useful to watch him. So let's wait.
__________________

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old February 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
sadi's Avatar
sadi sadi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Location: In my room
Favorite Player: Mushi
Posts: 6,709

If something is not broken, don't fix it. Who is getting the most runs out of the opening partnership is least of my concern as long as we get a decent opening partnership most of the time. Batting is all about building partnership and Nafees and Mehrab just seems to work together better. Ofcourse we can use a hit or miss opener like Tamim and it might be quite exciting to some of you but consistency in the top order matters. After a long time, we got an opening pair who are giving us decent opening partnership all most every single time (I know its against Zim but still) and I would go with them as long as they keep doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old February 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,583

Sadi I understand what you are saying but this is being reactive rather than being proactive. I already mentioned the reasons for the recent good opening stands. It was SN's form rather than the batting partnership of the openers. I think if JO was there the stats would be similar because SN was going through a purple patch. I think we can get a better opening pair by changing mehrab. Not suggesting that Tamim will be the one but since he is there I want to try him out in all the matches.
If he does well then the batting will be stronger for the WC. I am definitely not happy with mehrab's batting in ODI's. He had enough chances to show if his abilities and he has played the same slow way in all the ODI's and the most worrying factor is he had trouble with the weakest attacks in world cricket.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old February 4, 2007, 11:35 PM
Farhad's Avatar
Farhad Farhad is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 11, 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan
Posts: 2,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Since Mehrab jr. is introduced to the opening slot, we didn't have a single digit opening partnership for the last 5 or 6 games.
I dont think we're bad enough yet to be happy about not scoring a single digit partnership against a team lower than us.....Im telling you guys, your running out of arguments for not trying out tamim, ofcourse, Mehrabs dismal performance against the zimbos helped. What i still dont get is how in the world Mehrab has these many fans, hes played all his matches against Zimbabwe & Scotland, and hes got an average of 25, which isnt too bad, but considering the opposition, it aint too good either.....Tamims avg is 43. Now, im gonna head off any potential argument about the number of first class matches hes played compared with Mehrabs by pointing out that hes already scored more half centuries in half the matches. They also both played against scotland, and we all know the enormous differences between their performances against them.

Yes, I know im picking at straws, but im sleepy....Lets see, let me find something else, right, In 8 matches, Mehrabs gone past 20 3 times!!
__________________
^True dat^
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old February 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
cricket_king's Avatar
cricket_king cricket_king is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: January 10, 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,711

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
If something is not broken, don't fix it. Who is getting the most runs out of the opening partnership is least of my concern as long as we get a decent opening partnership most of the time. Batting is all about building partnership and Nafees and Mehrab just seems to work together better. Ofcourse we can use a hit or miss opener like Tamim and it might be quite exciting to some of you but consistency in the top order matters. After a long time, we got an opening pair who are giving us decent opening partnership all most every single time (I know its against Zim but still) and I would go with them as long as they keep doing it.
Mate c'mon! World cup's coming up and we have the tournament's slowest batsman. Yes he's been giving us good starts and keeping the new ball away from the middle order. But he will just end up eating balls and putting more pressure on nafees come quality opposition. We're all in excited moods after beating zimbabwe. Let's face it.......by playing with mehrab in the opening slot, WE WILL NOT WIN AGAINST INDIA OR SRI LANKA.

I definitely agree with trying tamim out. He is going to be one of the key players if we are to upset either sri lanka or india.
__________________
A friend in need is a friend indeed; a friend with weed is better.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old February 5, 2007, 03:27 AM
shovon13 shovon13 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 27, 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman
Posts: 1,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
See that is where I have a problem. You seem to be supporting mehrab for the opening slot but my question is based on what ? I do not see any difference between him and Javed omar excpet that mehrab has a better technique.
you answered your own question right there. mehrab is the better choice between jr. and jo because mehrab has better technique. thats what you need to have a chance against the top teams. which is why i think mehrab is about to become the staple of our test team, replacing jo. as far as this series is concerned, i'm on the bandwagon for starting tamim. both sadi and shahriyar already explained why we should go with tamim. mehrab hasn't done anything spectacular, and tamim deserves a chance. if he fits in, it'll give us a top-order able to produce at a high rate. we have sakib, bashar, ashraful, and mushfiqur rahim to follow aftab in case of any collapses. all four of those guys are innings-builders, able to play a long inning (although the last two haven't proved their worth too many times yet). a top-order of tamim, nafees, and aftab is not too shabby, since both nafees and aftab have already been successful against elite teams (bar the inconsistency). we need all 3 of them to have a chance to score 280+ against india or srilanka.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket