facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 14, 2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

Default 10 Top upset in ODIs (look at BD they are all over the places)

Slaying Goliath

Ten biggest one-day upsets

Siddhartha Vaidyanathan

June 18, 2005

Bangladesh's stunning defeat of Australia will probably go down as the biggest one-day upset of all time, a rare upset achieved when the minnow batted second. Here we pick the top ten

1 Bangladesh beat Australia by 5 wickets, NatWest Series, Cardiff, June 18, 2005
Scorecard

The day the team with the worst ODI record - by some distance - upstaged the mightiest XI in world cricket. Before the match, Bangladesh had won only nine of their 107 one-dayers - including just two against teams outside Zimbabwe and non-Test playing nations - but they made hay under the Cardiff sun thanks mainly to a sensational century from Mohammad Ashraful. Still smarting from a heavy defeat from England in the first game, they restricted the power-packed Australian line-up to 249 before executing their run-chase to perfection.

2 Kenya beat West Indies by 73 runs, World Cup, Pune, February 29, 1996
Scorecard

When Kenya took on West Indies in the league stage of the World Cup in 1996, nobody even expected a contest. It wasn't. Kenya shocked the world with a thumping 73-run win as West Indies collapsed for a paltry 93. The unheralded Rajab Ali opened the floodgates with an accurate opening spell, including the crucial wicket of Brian Lara, before Maurice Odumbe, their captain, choked the middle order with his nagging offspin. Only two West Indian batsmen managed double figures in what was then termed the greatest upset in history.

3 India beat West Indies by 43 runs, World Cup final, Lord's, June 25, 1983
Scorecard

India, with just 17 wins in their first nine years in one-dayers, were considered fortunate to just be at a World Cup final. And there was surely no way they could even stand up to the mighty West Indies - eviscerating bowling line-up and all. At the halfway stage, when India were bundled out for 183, it was all going to script. But a combination of canny seam bowling, electric fielding, acrobatic catching and a complacent West Indian batting effort meant that India overcame gargantuan odds and stood atop the world.

4 Zimbabwe beat Australia by 13 runs, World Cup, Trent Bridge, June 9, 1983
Scorecard

If there is one man in England who might understand what the Bangladeshis felt after their heady triumph at Cardiff it might be Duncan Fletcher, the English coach. Twenty two years back, Fletcher and his band of Zimbabwean debutants - it was their first-ever ODI game - stunned Australia in the World Cup opener at Trent Bridge in 1983. Fletcher entered when the innings was on the verge of collapse, spanked 69 in quick time and guided them to a fighting total. Australia were cruising along at 61 for no loss in reply, but Fletcher returned, snapped up four vital Australian top-order wickets that set up the historic triumph.

5 Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 62 runs, World Cup, Northampton, May 31, 1999
Scorecard

This one might have started out as a meaningless World Cup encounter when Bangladesh faced another Goliathian opponent, but turned out to be a bolt from the blue. Bangladesh had never beaten a Test-playing nation: in fact, they had rarely looked like putting up a fight, but they put up a brave front against an awesome bowling line-up - Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Shoaib Akhtar and Saqlain Mushtaq - and mustered a competitive 223. Soon they had Pakistan on the rack at 45 for 5, and the Khaled Mahmud-led bowling attack summoned all the discipline and accuracy to pull off a sensational victory.

6 Kenya beat Sri Lanka by 53 runs, World Cup, Nairobi, February 24, 2003
Scorecard

The day Kenya dazed Sri Lanka with a taste of their own medicine - they set a competitive total, got a few early breakthroughs through the medium-pacers and then asphyxiated the opposition with the spinners bowling an irritating length on a wearing pitch. Kennedy Otieno anchored the innings with a patient 80 as Kenya reached 210. Martin Suji removed Sanath Jayasuriya early and then Collins Obuya, the legspinner, turned national icon in an instant with his 5 for 24. The Sri Lankan batsmen were flummoxed by his prodigious turn and, with the other spinners restricting the run-flow at the other end, they fell way short of the mark.

7 Zimbabwe beat England by 9 runs, World Cup, Albury, March 18, 1992
Scorecard

Another World Cup and another league game that mattered little - but nobody had told a Zimbabwean chicken farmer. Eddo Brandes's impersonation of Bob Massie at Albury, when he swung the ball viciously, masterminded an English collapse in the face of a measly target of 134. Brandes ended with 4 for 21 and, despite the lower-order resistance, England fell nine runs short in what was the biggest reversal of the World Cup.

8 Bangladesh beat India by 15 runs, Dhaka, December 26, 2004
Scorecard

The Dhaka skies sparkled in celebratory mood as Bangladesh upstaged India and pulled off their first-ever home victory. After years of agony, including embarrassing defeats to Canada and Kenya in the 2003 World Cup, Bangladesh dealt India the sucker punch on Boxing Day at Dhaka. Aftab Ahmed held the innings together with a well-paced 67 before Mashrafe Mortaza rocked the high-voltage Indian top order with some cut and swing. Sridharan Sriram and Mohammad Kaif appeared to have things in control but some scintillating Bangladesh fielding kept up the pressure before India were undone in the nervy final moments.

9 Canada beat Bangladesh by 60 runs, World Cup, Durban, February 11, 2003
Scorecard

Bangladesh, a Test-playing nation, were humbled by a plumber from Canada as they crashed to an ignominious defeat in the World Cup encounter at Durban. Canada, composed of amateurs, were returning to the international fold after a gap of 24 years but stormed past Bangladesh in their opening game by successfully defending 180. Bangladesh couldn't even get close as Austin Codrington exploited the seaming conditions and ended with a memorable five-wicket haul.

10 Kenya beat India by 69 runs, Gwalior, March 6, 1998
Scorecard

Kenya's astonishing victory over West Indies was a distant memory and all that was expected of them in this game was to shrivel up in the sauna of Gwalior against India. But Ravindu Shah, who kickstarted the innings with a blazing 70, Maurice Odumbe, who blasted the spinners out of sight, and Hitesh Modi, who hussled a rapid fifty, all had other ideas and Kenya amassed 265. Their bowlers kept a tight leash, despite having to endure a scorching temperature of nearly 45 degrees centigrade, and India wilted under pressure in a stunning reversal.

Siddhartha Vaidyanathan is staff writer of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo

Source link >>

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 15, 2007 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: mod.edit mod.contain: If you wanna quote from other websites then try to quote texts only not whole web page!! Thanks!
Old February 14, 2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

lol
Old February 14, 2007, 11:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykingdom03
lol
lol
Old February 15, 2007, 02:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default ha ha ha

lol!hope that in this world cup another upset would be made bd...(beating ind/sri or getting beaten by bermuda!!!!)
Junior
Old February 15, 2007, 02:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Good one ... although I dream of the day when we are on the losing side of this list more often. Imagine ... Biggest Upset ... "AU Beating BD by 5 wickets" ... another one ... "Pak beat BD by 62 runs"

:f lag::fla g:
Old February 15, 2007, 08:41 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

The greatest upset in the history of the world cricket would have been Fatullah Test.
Damn we missed the opportunity to do the unthinkable. To do what every single test nation in this current world dreams of doing...

......beating Australia in a test match.
Ask England, they will tell you all about it... i meant the dreaming part.

One day we gonna do it. But im sure when we grow old, we will tell our grandkids the story of how the glory got away and how we missed the greatest ever opportunity presented to us.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

hey look look what they say about the pakistan win only player that got mentioned was zero ability player. I wonder why???? may be they know better cricket then us...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Old February 15, 2007, 10:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib, Tamim, Tendulkar

great....3 jaigay bangladeser naam..ei world cup yer pore jeno aro 1 ba 2 ta upset hoy sei prathona kori
Old February 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Kenya seemed to dominate the list in numbers. They look awesome in the recently concluded tournament. I think they have found the rythm. I predict that they will produce more 'upsets' in March.
Old February 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
The greatest upset in the history of the world cricket would have been Fatullah Test.
Damn we missed the opportunity to do the unthinkable. To do what every single test nation in this current world dreams of doing...

......beating Australia in a test match.
Ask England, they will tell you all about it... i meant the dreaming part.

One day we gonna do it. But im sure when we grow old, we will tell our grandkids the story of how the glory got away and how we missed the greatest ever opportunity presented to us.
You are saying that we're not gonna be able to face a similar situation in our life-time?

I was kinda hoping to be in a similar situation and that time, of ACTUALLY DEFEATING a team or two in the next couple of years in Test Cricket. Otherwise, what's the use of having a selector whom we're paying 60,000 Taka? What's the use of having an International Coach? A Physio? What's the use of playing cricket anyway?
Old February 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
You are saying that we're not gonna be able to face a similar situation in our life-time?

I was kinda hoping to be in a similar situation and that time, of ACTUALLY DEFEATING a team or two in the next couple of years in Test Cricket. Otherwise, what's the use of having a selector whom we're paying 60,000 Taka? What's the use of having an International Coach? A Physio? What's the use of playing cricket anyway?
No, i think you got me wrong Fwullah.

We are an ever progressing cricketing nation. Our wins in the test arena is hoped for and expected. thats why we are there for. Not to loose but be a competitive side in the cricketing world.

But what i meant was, even the biggest of dreamers would not have dreamt that we would beat Australia when in 05 when they were reiging supreme. When they were fresh from beating the second best SA 3-0 at thier own ground and when they had some of the best ever players playing in thier team, when that Aussie team is being considered as the one of the best ever IF not the best ever team to play modern day cricket.

our chances would come, and we might win. But that was a golden opportunity.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 16, 2007, 07:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
Otherwise, what's the use of having a selector whom we're paying 60,000 Taka? What's the use of having an International Coach? A Physio? What's the use of playing cricket anyway?
then our grnd children even wont b able to c tht in their lifetime..........Sydney is right.........everything is under a process....and as the process is going on, we are getting results gradually. compare 5 years before and now. you can see the difference. kids in our country dreaming to become professional cricketer instead of doctor-engineer.....and we need to create tht professionalism envoronment to narrow the gap between us and AUS. we might having shortage of proper selectors or cricketrs but soon we will get rid of these problem becoz everthing is under the process.
Old February 16, 2007, 07:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee and Enamul jr

i dot not agree that the 1st is the biggest upset.
bcose pt 1. bd is a test playing nation who got some idea how 2 handle another test playin + they hav played each couple of times bfore.
2. they beat india about 5 months bfore that.
3. this proves they r ability were unkwon 2 ausies.
the biggest upset shoud hav been

2 Kenya beat West Indies by 73 runs, World Cup, Pune, February 29, 1996
Scorecard
Old February 16, 2007, 11:02 AM
Test Cricketer

there is an article today on cricinfo about Bangladesh historical win on Pakistan:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/wc200...ry/280456.html

"rumours of match-fixing"?
Old April 10, 2007, 08:45 AM
Club Cricketer

Bump!
Old April 10, 2007, 08:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Yup! time to reshuffle the list and get the SA game in the middle (reluctantly).
Old April 10, 2007, 09:16 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Woohoo we're dominating the list. I wouldn't rate beating India as an upset anymore, but SA for sure. It's time for England and WI to eat the humble pie.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Its very interesting that all of you guys are enjoying this list so much. I've seen this list long ago... and it pissed me off very much! Why so? Well... just because "look at BD they are all over the places".

The writer of this article actually believes that all these wins by BD are upsets.... and not a part of a upcoming cycle. While there is no doubt that the BD win over PAK and AUS were big upsets.... I still dont take the 2004 BD win over IND was any kind of upset at all! Bangladesh, can at-best, be there in the list for just those 2 matches against PAK & AUS.. no more!
Old April 10, 2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Its very interesting that all of you guys are enjoying this list so much. I've seen this list long ago... and it pissed me off very much! Why so? Well... just because "look at BD they are all over the places".

The writer of this article actually believes that all these wins by BD are upsets.... and not a part of a upcoming cycle. While there is no doubt that the BD win over PAK and AUS were big upsets.... I still dont take the 2004 BD win over IND was any kind of upset at all! Bangladesh, can at-best, be there in the list for just those 2 matches against PAK & AUS.. no more!

Spot on Ahmed bhai!
Old April 24, 2007, 09:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

someday people will say that ireland beating australlia or india is an upset and hopefully, this list will expand to top twenty or top fifty!
Old April 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: MS Dhoni(India)

10 Kenya beat India by 69 runs, Gwalior, March 6, 1998

that match shouldnt be an upset as india put a 2nd string team in that match. i think kenya beating india at port elizabeth in 2001 was a bigger upset than this.

the list of top-10 upsets should go as -

1. ireland beating pak - 2007
2. kenya beating wi - 1996
3. bd beating aus - 2005
4. zim beating aus - 1983
5. bd beating pak - 1999
6. ken beating sl - 2003
7. ind beating wi - 1983
8. ken beating ind - 2001
9. bd beating ind - 2004
10. bd beating sa - 2007

Last edited by bd_fan_from_india; April 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM..