facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 29, 2015, 05:13 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Hindi movies in Bangladesh cinema halls

I thought there would be some discussion about it already.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-15178289

Anyway please like this page and share if you agree to the cause https://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-N...homepage_panel
Old January 29, 2015, 06:16 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Competition will drive quaility upward. Because of the ban bd produces the same garbage every year which nobody goes to see besides idumb. We need to make sure bd earn tax revenues from these indian films and that some funds go back to our own industry.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:07 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

hindi abar lingua franca hoye jay kina, ei amader voy
Old January 29, 2015, 04:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Competition will drive quaility upward. Because of the ban bd produces the same garbage every year which nobody goes to see besides idumb. We need to make sure bd earn tax revenues from these indian films and that some funds go back to our own industry.
Spot on.

We need to shed our fear and learn to compete. In Bangladesh, everyone and their dog watches Hindi movies, listens to Hindi songs and uses Hindi words in conversation...and that's in spite of all types of protectionist policies. The only way to counter this is by improving and promoting the local product.
Old January 29, 2015, 04:24 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Not to mention the subtle democratic fact that since we fought a war about suppression of language and it may be a tad bit ironical to prevent the very damn thing we had a war about....
Old January 29, 2015, 05:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

I think it will hurt us bad,
about competing with them and becoming better, I'm not so sure, I think it's a fight we can not win, they have huge budget for movies, we don't, we know how popular hindi movies are in BD, if Bollywood gets in people won't even bother paying for deshi movies.
Besides Bollywood has been making rubbish movies for the last 8-10 years, nothing much to watch apart from glamor , item songs , poor comedy & BAngladesh has been making some different movies which are not bad, like Monpura, Jaago,Chorabali, television, Pipra bidya etc.
Most people of BD specially women gave up BD dramas and are addicted to hindi serials which are all about glamor, dami shaari,dami goyna and cheap acting, same is about to happen with movies I'm afraid.
Old January 29, 2015, 05:55 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

keno apni na pk niye faal parlen dekhlam khub shumon da...ekhon onno gola milachen kano
Old January 29, 2015, 06:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
keno apni na pk niye faal parlen dekhlam khub shumon da...ekhon onno gola milachen kano
may be you are talking about Nocturnal bhai, I didn't watch PK yet, but I probably will
Old January 29, 2015, 06:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

pk is a good movie....I recommend all of u watch it...

This article is very old btw...but I guess subject still remains

I support free market....let ppl decide what they want to watch...

Getting Hindi movies and English movies to run in cinema halls will bring educated middle class ppl to halls ....and that's when u also run quality bangla movies con currently for exposure ...

If u only run low quality sexualized dhallywood movies ... no self respecting person will go to halls ... forget about any girls....

U have to change ppl psyche about watching movies in halls to lift bd film..suppressing other films will not do it because dhallywood does not compete with Bollywood ...

I think Calcutta has restriction on bd films.....if u have beef there...restrict Calcutta movies.... (I still wouldn't support that) .... my motto if there is money to be made...u jump to that opportunity
Old January 29, 2015, 06:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Champion

used to be a fan in 90s, and early part of 2000s....but guess Bangladesh cricket team's rise has helped me finally gotten rid of many things which am glad of, and one of them is bollywood....
Old January 29, 2015, 08:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Exactly. The same fears were dispelled in Pakistan where the local product has actually improved since Bollywood films have been showing in cinemas. I'm given to understand that films like Waar and Khuda Ke Liye are a significant step up in quality, not that I have watched them personally. AFAIK cinema halls across the country are struggling and many have shut their doors in recent years. This decision can reverse this trend and actually increase the revenue earning potential for local films. Profits from foreign films can be used to open up new halls and spruce up existing ones to entice the middle-class family audiences back.

As for quality, on the whole I don't see any improvement in Bangladeshi mainstream cinema. So clearly protectionism has not worked. And are we really going to pretend that this ban has at all prevented Bollywood from permeating into Bangladeshi society? I don't think the kind of films simon da is talking about will be affected much by the withdrawal of this ban. If a film is good people will watch it. As for the industry as a whole if they are willing to pick up the slack I think they will survive and maybe even benefit from this move but if they continue to churn out the same drivel they will deservedly go defunct.

I do think however that these foreign products should be appropriately taxed and local films should get assistance from the government in the form of tax-breaks and subsidies especially for films that promote moral values and have a social message and the money generated should be pumped back into the industry.