facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
This show? Watched it on CBC last night. The British eminem kid is hilarious
Yep. I've only recently started watching it but so far it's a great show.
Old June 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalipri
sounds good!! btw prettyboy?? there are so many!! which one?!?!?!
Leo.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 19, 2007, 09:23 PM

The Motorcycle Diaries.... that was a very good film too. A bit dated, and some of you guys may have already watched it, but one line from the dialogues just made me remember the film right now
Old June 19, 2007, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
I like Bleach too, but holding back on Naruto. Watch Full Metal Alchemist.

Cowboy Bebop is pretty mature methinks.
Any reason you are holding back on Naruto? Anyway have you guys seen Avatar: The last airbender. The story isnt mature but its good.
Old June 20, 2007, 03:17 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Any reason you are holding back on Naruto? Anyway have you guys seen Avatar: The last airbender. The story isnt mature but its good.
Time constraints. I also think it's overrated and drags on for too long.

Anyway here's a few mature anime recommendations - Hellsing (similarity: Van Helsing/Dracula), Record of the Lodoss War (LotR), Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (based on novel). Of course, Cowboy Bebop (Firefly/Serenity) and Full Metal Alchemist (Harry Potter/Philosopher's Stone).
Old June 20, 2007, 03:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrina
can any one give some name of funny movie. i want it to increase my collection.
Amadeus

if you don't have it in your collection.
Old June 20, 2007, 03:59 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Time constraints. I also think it's overrated and drags on for too long.

Anyway here's a few mature anime recommendations - Hellsing (similarity: Van Helsing/Dracula), Record of the Lodoss War (LotR), Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (based on novel). Of course, Cowboy Bebop (Firefly/Serenity) and Full Metal Alchemist (Harry Potter/Philosopher's Stone).
I dug Cowboy Bebop ... did you like Steamboy ? I thought the artwork was off the hook.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 20, 2007, 04:27 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
I dug Cowboy Bebop ... did you like Steamboy ? I thought the artwork was off the hook.
No I missed Streamboy, probably due to Howl's Moving Castle which came out the same year.

I checked the plot and a trailer. Reminds me of Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Have you seen it?
Old June 20, 2007, 05:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
No I missed Streamboy, probably due to Howl's Moving Castle which came out the same year.

I checked the plot and a trailer. Reminds me of Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Have you seen it?
No, but I will now that you've mentioned it. You'll dig Steamboy ...
Old June 20, 2007, 05:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

did anybody like Pirates of the Caribbean 3?? i thought it was a let down, not as good as the other two. johnny depp was good tho
Old June 20, 2007, 05:50 AM
BC Editorial Team

the first PotC was passable. The two sequels - utter dross! Hey bengalpri - what's with the KK avatar? big fan?
Old June 20, 2007, 06:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

ye man!! in fact listening to akash keno daake now! most indian parents constantly play it and make thier children sick of it!! my parents did the opposite the deprived me of it for 15 years!!!! him, mohmd rafi and manna dey!! are u a fan?
Old June 20, 2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Amadeus

if you don't have it in your collection.
I do have it in my DVD collection. One of the 14-15 movies on DVD that I own

The other ones are:

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
A Few Good Men
Ronin
Goodfellas
Scarface
Moonlight Mile (and I LIKE it! )
Shrek 2
The Incredibles
Zatoichi
Hero
Seven Samurais
Agontuk
Old June 20, 2007, 02:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Mushi &Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalipri
did anybody like Pirates of the Caribbean 3?? i thought it was a let down, not as good as the other two. johnny depp was good tho
im watching that on saturday lolz well i think i am.
Old June 21, 2007, 07:59 AM
Cricket Savant

ammark - I'm a HUGE QT fan also. You dig Spike Lee much ? Do the Right Thing needs to belong in that collection of yours.

Hatebreed - Bro, if you haven't seen Zatoichi yet, you need to.
Old June 21, 2007, 08:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
ammark - I'm a HUGE QT fan also. You dig Spike Lee much ? Do the Right Thing needs to belong in that collection of yours.

is this a general admiration of blaxploitation films and the homage to that theme in lee's body of work? what i find so refreshing in his work is the depiction of the black female. that she can have thoughts, desires and a right to expression is unique to spike lee. of course, there had been small scale feminist films made by the black woman on female issues but spike seems to be the only black filmmaker of his generation to portray the powerful female.

i went to see 'amazing grace' last night. such a sweet and innocent portrayal of the abolition movement makes one assume how gentle life had been in 18th century england! i don't know if anyone here has seen it but my pricipal criticism of the film is centred around it lack of blackness. other than the venerable equiano and references to shackles and chains, the film seems to have been totally centred around the hymn 'amazing grace'. beautiful as the words and notes are, it felt a little too clinically white.
Old June 21, 2007, 01:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default What's the most gruesome movies you watched?

Heylo people

I think the most gruesome movies i've watched is "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre","Saw 3" and probz "The House of Wax"

What bout yours?
Old June 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Saw, unwatchably so ... all of 'em ... past, present and in the future.

Congrats on your first thread ...
Old June 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

Congrats on your first thread ...
awwww thankoo
Old June 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Silent Hill. Films like House of 1000 Corpses, Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hostel, etc have a lot of blood and gore and visually distrubing scenes, but aren't necessarily a psychologically gruesome.
Old June 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up Spike Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
is this a general admiration of blaxploitation films and the homage to that theme in lee's body of work? what i find so refreshing in his work is the depiction of the black female. that she can have thoughts, desires and a right to expression is unique to spike lee. of course, there had been small scale feminist films made by the black woman on female issues but spike seems to be the only black filmmaker of his generation to portray the powerful female.

i went to see 'amazing grace' last night. such a sweet and innocent portrayal of the abolition movement makes one assume how gentle life had been in 18th century england! i don't know if anyone here has seen it but my pricipal criticism of the film is centred around it lack of blackness. other than the venerable equiano and references to shackles and chains, the film seems to have been totally centred around the hymn 'amazing grace'. beautiful as the words and notes are, it felt a little too clinically white.

I don't consider Spike Lee's movies to be "Blaxploitive" in the Blackenstein or Cleopatra Jones mode. His movies lack gratuiotous sex and violence, as well as the rather cheap entertainment value typical of those films. Stylistically, those films made their contributions to contemporary African American filmmaking in several different ways. Multi-angled editing, choreographed street scenes and precise use of popular music are the easily recognizable facets of that influence. Do the Right Thing for example, can be connected to Cotton Comes to Harlem, the 1970 classic directed by Ossie Davis, without too much difficulty. Ossie Davis also perfomed in many of the Spike Lee "Joints" including Do the Right Thing and Jungle Fever, not one of my favorites save the remarkable performance from Samuel L. Jackson as Gator Purify and Wesley Snipes as Flipper.

Anyway, the Yahoo dig describes Do the Right Thing as follows:

"On a sweltering hot day in a Brooklyn neighborhood, everyone has their own issues to deal with and tensions between Blacks and Italians rise. Issues of pride and prejudice, justice and inequity come to the surface as hate and bigotry smoulder--finally building into a crescendo as it explodes into violence."

The way Spike Lee tells the story by his masterfully hip "peeling back the layers" narrative to reveal increasingly complex characters and situations, and remarkable performances from everyone involved, especially Ossie Davis, Danny Aiello, Ruby Dee, John Turturro and Rosie Perez - make it one of my favorites.

The diverse range of his style and subject matter, all executed with immaculate attention to details, make him one of my top 7 favorite Directors alongside Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, Jim Jarmusch, Clint Eastwood, and Zhang Yimou.

Here's a list of Spike Lee Joints:

Inside Man (2006), She Hate Me (2004), 25th Hour (2002), Jim Brown: All American (2002), Bamboozled (2000), The Original Kings of Comedy (2000), Summer of Sam (1999), He Got Game (1998), 4 Little Girls (1997), Get on the Bus (1996), Girl 6 (1996), Clockers (1995), Lumiere & Company (1995), Lumiere Et Compagnie (1995) featured director, Crooklyn (1994), Malcolm X (1992), Jungle Fever (1991), Mo' Better Blues (1990), Do the Right Thing (1989), Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads (1989), School Daze (1988), She's Gotta Have It (1986), The Answer (1980), Fusion (yet to be released).

I haven't seen "Amazing Grace" yet, the Nigerian film by the same name is supposed to be better.

Later.

Peace, Sohel.
Old June 21, 2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:

I havent watched any Spike Lee films I dont think. As for QT... I've seen many of his films... but I love Reservoir Dogs the most. Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Steve Buscemi, Tim Roth were just superb. Especially given that there wasnt much action or visual movement of anything or anyone apart from the characters. The plot developed fully through the dialogues. Undoubtedly Pulp Fiction is the best film he's made, but Reservoir Dogs still wins me over.

(This is actually the same reason that I like Moonlight Mile and House of Sand & Fog so much. Great performances with good plots)
Old June 21, 2007, 04:40 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Thanks, I will.

Speaking of Japanese action films and gruesome, reminded me of another great film- Battle Royale.
Old June 21, 2007, 05:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i like will farrell's movies, old school rocks. owen wilson, luke wilson, ben stiller, vince vaughn, will farrell............ deadly group. robin williams is the king. don't miss any movies of nicolas cage, john travolta, tom hanks, robert de niro, billy crystal, kevin costner. and i am a big time fan of animations.
Old June 21, 2007, 07:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajowana
Heylo people

I think the most gruesome movies i've watched is "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre","Saw 3" and probz "The House of Wax"

What bout yours?
Watch "The Hostel" - interesting twist in the plot, probably one of the darkest I've ever seen....