facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 25, 2016, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Rohingya Crisis

Everyone is aware of the blatant state-sanctioned ethnic cleansing going on in Myanmar against the Muslim minority. Hardly any media coverage on it and there seems to be no plan of action by the global community to put a stop to it. What is also laughable is that the Nobel Peace Prize laureate there seems to deny any wrong-doing against the Rohingya and flat out says they aren't even citizens of the country.

Situation gets worse as most neighboring countries don't even want to take in the fleeing refugees citing various reasons while the West, who are sitting on their asses doing nothing, continues criticizing the surrounding countries of not taking in more. One country that is constantly being criticized for not taking in more Rohingya refugees is ours, Bangladesh.

From what I've read there is an estimate of 300k-500k Rohingyas in the country which is quite a large number if you put into consideration that the Rohingya population numbers only 1.3MIL in Myanmar itself. The government has refused to grant them refugee status since 1992 and have been turning back boats carrying refugees citing reasons such as them being involved in criminal activities, not being able to support more etc. I understand the government's sentiment that as a tiny third world country they simply can't support or take in more refugees which is evident by the camps set up to house them being in terrible states facing shortages of food and water. We don't seem to be getting any global aid in managing and supporting the ones we have.

Ignoring the West's constant criticism and as a country who has faced the exact same situation, I would like to know what are some of your thoughts and opinions in regards to this ongoing crisis. Do you think we have the moral obligation to provide and support more or are we being unfairly criticized for not doing enough when in reality we are? As someone who doesn't live in Bangladesh, I feel like I wouldn't know enough to understand the situation.
Old November 25, 2016, 09:26 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Moral obligation yes.

But can we accommodate influx of that many people? I am hesitant about that.

Now the question is whether morality or rationality will take precedence!
Old November 25, 2016, 09:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Australia can always take in more.
But their is stinging resentment in the community refuges getting housing straight off ordinary Aussies wait 10/15 years for public housing.
And we already have a housing/renting crisis,and a homeless crisis.
I think we take 19,000 refugees but 200,000 immigrants a year,their not the infrastructure in the cities for such a large portion of immigration.The rural areas they are taking infrastructure away and decentralizing in the cities.
Increase refugees,but limit migration.
Old November 25, 2016, 10:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

It is easy to question the subsequent government from 1992 onwards... however it is important to be rational. We are a small country with minimal resources. Not to mention, these people would never be able to go back to myanmar so they beccome a permanent responsibility of Bangladesh.

And many people who are criticizing such decision would themselves never adopt a child from the street and give them a permanent home.
Old November 25, 2016, 10:22 PM
Test Cricketer

migration here mostly Chinese,Indian and English,so we could take some from that region.
The big problem here is infrastructure,everyone wants to live in the city and on the east coast.
if ppl were to move to the country they would be more than welcome.
Old November 25, 2016, 10:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Oh and adoption is **** hard to get.
Old November 26, 2016, 04:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

What's up with this brockley guy and moving the Rohingyas to Australia ? Australia ki tomar baper desh ?

Suki should be stripped of her Nobel prize.
UN should impose sanctions against Burma. We should empower our military and annex Rakhine.
Old November 26, 2016, 05:02 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shabbir and Taskin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
What's up with this brockley guy and moving the Rohingyas to Australia ? Australia ki tomar baper desh ?

Suki should be stripped of her Nobel prize.
UN should impose sanctions against Burma. We should empower our military and annex Rakhine.
He's an Aussie
Old November 26, 2016, 05:05 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shabbir and Taskin.

I am deeply concerned about their future and wish them best of 'luck'. We should help and shelter the endangered rohingyas but it's not like we keep sheltering them so Burma keep doing the genocide and push more Rohingyas here. UN must take action as soon as possible..it seems they only care about those country's 'human rights' that have 'oil' underneath their land.

Hope sun will shine one day and black clouds will go away..

Last edited by Anik SH; November 26, 2016 at 08:12 AM..
Old November 26, 2016, 08:34 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
It is his baaper desh. Pay more attention
Old November 26, 2016, 09:32 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
we know brockley is from Aus but what if his father is from somewhere else singara will have a point!
Old November 26, 2016, 04:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Just to back Brockley up - and as an Aussie myself - I do think Australia should accept Rohingyas. We are becoming less and less welcoming to Rohingyas, but to be fair this is a global phenomenon with Brexit and Trump being clear indications of xenophobic foreign policy around the world.
Old November 26, 2016, 05:21 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: IMRUL KAYES

I will try to be less vitriolic if possible..

A wise person once pointed out in BC that our heart bleeds for Palestinians who are 5000 miles away from home when we pay no heed to the ethnic cleansing in our own backyard.

In that same spirit, would majority of YOUR heart bleed if they weren't Muslims?

Just a simple question.

As far as Suki, well we just need a scapegoat. That's why when we see humans inhumanely being tethered in ropes and ashen body mingling with dirt, we cannot control our flare and thus we need a scapegoat to put our rage..

That won't solve a problem. And also I find the duplicity nature puzzling when Bangladeshis themselves won't open doors, yet udar mon uthle athle pore about injustice in foreign land.

As for my personal stand point, well I am helpless. Lot of inhumanity goes on around the world, and in Africa everyday but I am aware of my limitations that voicing out sentiment in Internet fora or social media will hardly bring world peace.
Old November 26, 2016, 05:29 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

And silence isn't always an acquiescence or acknowledgement. That's why we have fifth amendment in the spirit of golden rule of Noble Silence. Just because someone or me, say, keeps quiet doesn't mean I should be coerced to interfere or lest blood be in my hand. What does that kind of judgment say about YOU?

Today, I was in McDonald's and a girl of four or five looked at another younger toddler of another family and utter'd: "Ay, don't be looking at me b----ch" in a ghetto twang of Hispanic accent.

Sure, her parents didn't teach her better and she picked it up from them. But would me going there, dropping my meal, and yelling at her in expletives make the situation any better? But as far as omphaloskepsis goes I did stare at the girl for a long long time and perhaps implicitly gave the signal 'damn right if an adult stares at you, how would you react then, b---ch?' which I shouldn't have done.

At hindsight, me reacting by my long stare was wrong. It was not my place or set, and I should've just mind my own business and let God do his lila.

So does that ffin mean I am all of a sudden I am the culprit had I not reacted in any shape way or form? Some people just don't know how to mind their own business.
Old November 26, 2016, 06:20 PM
Test Cricketer

I have no problem with more refugees,just as we lower immigration overall.
Australia has its own problems,just explaining them.
People think Australia and its nice and easy but we have our fair shar e of problems,drugs and crime,and homelessness.
Further you walk around at night and its your choice,but its not a wise 1.
As said a lot of immigrants don't want to live in the bush,which is a shame
Old November 26, 2016, 09:24 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
And silence isn't always an acquiescence or acknowledgement. That's why we have fifth amendment in the spirit of golden rule of Noble Silence. Just because someone or me, say, keeps quiet doesn't mean I should be coerced to interfere or lest blood be in my hand. What does that kind of judgment say about YOU?

Today, I was in McDonald's and a girl of four or five looked at another younger toddler of another family and utter'd: "Ay, don't be looking at me b----ch" in a ghetto twang of Hispanic accent.

Sure, her parents didn't teach her better and she picked it up from them. But would me going there, dropping my meal, and yelling at her in expletives make the situation any better? But as far as omphaloskepsis goes I did stare at the girl for a long long time and perhaps implicitly gave the signal 'damn right if an adult stares at you, how would you react then, b---ch?' which I shouldn't have done.

At hindsight, me reacting by my long stare was wrong. It was not my place or set, and I should've just mind my own business and let God do his lila.

So does that ffin mean I am all of a sudden I am the culprit had I not reacted in any shape way or form? Some people just don't know how to mind their own business.
Kisher moddhe ki. A million plus refugee situation is not equivalent to your experience at McD. Sorry to burst your bubble though. Hudai jottoshob!

Now I know you'll come back at me and I've to open my dictionary to understand them.
Old November 26, 2016, 10:11 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

There are internal turmoils such as political conflicts between jamat and al or red shirt vs yellow shirt in Thailand which are completely different to what is happening in Myanmar. Army burning down village after village, not allowing news media, allegation of indiscriminate shooting and gang rape sounds more like war crime than internal/domestic conflict. Bangladesh being the neighbor has high stakes in the stability of Myanmar and we need to use diplomacy with China India and within the UN to focus world attention towards suki's govt. Without diplomatic pressure they arent gonna stop till they wipe rohingyas out.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

This is so evil, it is unimaginable.

But at the same time, it is also extremely unfair on Bd to take on more refugees. Bd has taken in its fair share. It's time for other countries to take in theirs.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
This is so evil, it is unimaginable.

But at the same time, it is also extremely unfair on Bd to take on more refugees. Bd has taken in its fair share. It's time for other countries to take in theirs.
But the issue is that dominant Burmese population considers the rohingyas to be ethnically Bengalis based on looks and religion. That's why rather than sending them to other countries, they are pushing them to their ancestral homeland of Bengal.

But it's a claim with no proof.
Old November 26, 2016, 11:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

^ But all nations know that NOT to be true. So they should come forward to take these people in.
Old November 27, 2016, 12:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Yes we should take more refugees.
But we should fix the system of public housing here,build more dwellings,so all who have need can access public housing.
The question is how many refugees do you take,I vote labor they are pushing for more refugees here,but will need to be a change in government.
The problem is we get so little press of Burma here,and don't fully know whats going on.I have heard a little not much,only because their is occasional stuff on the National Broadcaster,and only a small ammount of ppl watch that.
We hear of Syria everyday,and because of that we are taking 12,000 Syrians.
We hear a lot about the Palistinians,but don't think we take many refugees from there.
If you want 2 know a country that is doing more than its share and that is Canada under Trudeau.
Old November 27, 2016, 06:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Amar money hoy na. Amar money hoy more like Australian immigrant kintu vabey Australia or bap-dadar desh silo.

Amader kisu balls thakley amra Crimear moto Rakhine annex kortam.
Old November 28, 2016, 10:35 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Kisher moddhe ki. A million plus refugee situation is not equivalent to your experience at McD. Sorry to burst your bubble though. Hudai jottoshob!

Now I know you'll come back at me and I've to open my dictionary to understand them.
Yes, I must be an idiot not to realize that one thing doesn't lead to another. Thanks Captain.
Old November 29, 2016, 05:30 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Le Fizz

There is a background to the Rohingiya issue, it dates back to the period 1946-1970 when Rohingiyas mercenaries backed by Pak Army wanted to annex Arakan to erstwhile Pakistan.
Old November 30, 2016, 04:33 PM
First Class Cricketer

Operation Rakhine annexation
Come on BD army, show some balls.