facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 14, 2007, 03:59 PM
Street Cricketer

Default An Indian view

As my id suggests i am an Indian cricket fan and like everyone on this board looking forward to our first game against Bangladesh. While going through various post i saw the confidence you all have in your team, which is a good thing but i felt a few posters are over confident.

Its a game someone will win and someone will lose but lets be honest an Indian win is more likely. I am not claiming India will win no matter what but majority of posters will accept if Bangladesh does win it will be termed an 'upset'.

I noticed a whole lot of you are upset with BCCI because of various reason. Try visiting Indian cricket forums, majority of Indian fans are just as mad at BCCI as you all are maybe for different reasons but bottom line is the whole commercialization of cricket is not exactly going well with most of Indian cricket fans.

I read comments like Indian bowling is weak. Yes compared to our batting line up it is weak, compared to Aussie and even SA bowling line up it is weak but i am sure BD batsman are going to find them handful.

For all those who are worried about Dhoni do remember he comes at 7. Watchout for Uthappa. He will open and he can tonk that ball. His strike rate is 115 and avg 36, to put things in prospective Afridi SR is 109, Dhoni's SR is 98, Gilchrist's SR is 96, Aftab Ahmed SR is 87 with avg of 29.

Anyways looking forward to a good game of cricket. May the best team win.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: kothhin proshno

saab, i agree india is strong, but even bangladeshi fans are changing their mentality along with their team, because bangladeshi cricket team is in form at the moment. also, bangladeshi fans are angry because of some different reasons, like even indian journalist being racists to them. whatever happens in the match, the hope of bangladeshis is to get some respect back from india, because of the continuous insult that has been put up against bangadesh cricket in indian media, cricinfo and also indian cricket board. any opinion on these insults?
Old March 14, 2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

I think India will will open with Dhoni on the 17th...
Old March 14, 2007, 04:18 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthiander
saab, i agree india is strong, but even bangladeshi fans are changing their mentality along with their team, because bangladeshi cricket team is in form at the moment. also, bangladeshi fans are angry because of some different reasons, like even indian journalist being racists to them. whatever happens in the match, the hope of bangladeshis is to get some respect back from india, because of the continuous insult that has been put up against bangadesh cricket in indian media, cricinfo and also indian cricket board. any opinion on these insults?
i can very well understand the frustation most of you feel everytime Bangladesh visit to India gets postponed, but as i said modern cricket is no longer about two teams competing on field, its more about money. India is scheduled to play 3 ODIs against Aussies in scotland after world cup, what was BCCI thinking ? lets just say money.

I am new on this board so would like to stay away from any political topic. Hope you understand.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Saab_rn, welcome to the board.

Speaking for myself, I agree with what you said. Fact of the matter is that we badly need to win this match to gain the respect of your board, your fellow fans, and the rest of the world. Our players know this very well, and I just hope this will inspire them enough to beat your team.

Last edited by TheWatcher; March 14, 2007 at 04:30 PM..
Old March 14, 2007, 04:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

It started with Ganguly's support of two tier system. Then BCCI's ignorant comments like "BD will only gain lunch money if they tour India". Then pursuing ICC to break their own rules and not schedule any tour for BD at India in FTP. And for Mr. Rajesh (esteemed journalist of Cricinfo), he is imortalized here at BanglaCricket. There are several other journalist/fans who called for taking away of the test status. If the big brother don't lend a helping hand for us to grow then why even bother pretending to be a friend?

Anyways, I am optimistic that our boys will show something that we all want at the end of the day. Welcome to BC. Crush indian cricket team and then stomp at the press conference.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:26 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

saab, you deserve a few thank-yous for coming up with such a sane post, unlike a few other indians on this board. There's logic in what you're saying, and believe me, most of us whom u marked as being over-confident, also have that same logic nicely kept aside in their head. Now you can't blame us for getting swayed in sheer dreams and passion. Also, to put it bluntly, some of us are really going nuts about a BD win because they just simply love to dislike India as a cricket team. The spotlight of the occasion of this WC has much to do with that.

When BD dont play, India is my favourite team. But still, watching the Tigers over the years and the stage of development that they have reached today, I too am hoping for a BD win, which will obviously be termed as an upset, since India is starting this campaign as one of the favourites. But there wont be a cakewalk for India anymore, and that's a certainty.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

I agree too.. India is strong and are likely to win.. but bangladesh has a realistic chance..if they do beat India it will be an upset BUT not a major upset..because many people actually anticipate a bangladesh victory excluding bangladesh fans.
And to talk about India bowling..they are good bowlers.. but some are over-rated.
Thats true..Sreesanth is over rated,Harbhajan is over rated. I can explain.. but if im asked..no need to if people agrees.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:38 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Saab_rn, welcome to the board.

Speaking for myself, I agree with what you said. Fact of the matter is that we badly need to win this match to gain the respect of your board, your fellow fans, and the rest of the world. Our players know this very well, and I just hope this will inspire them enough to beat your team.
well thank you so much..

Being a supporter of your opposition team i hope i am able to put across views from 'the-other-side'. I am sure few of the posters might not like my point of view and its understandable. But then ill tell them to look at the positive side if you win on 17th you will enjoy rubbing it into an Indian Fan.

I also dont believe you have to worry about getting respect from other teams. In test maybe not but as far as ODIs are concern i feel by next work cup Bangladesh will be ready to be considered as possible semi finalist if not winner given they continue there current progress.
Old March 14, 2007, 04:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Welcome saab_rn to BC

BTW i didn't get it how is saab_rn suggesting you are Indian team fan? SAAB is not made in India!!!

Anyway You r right on many things but i think most of the BD fans know that its most likely India will win so they r just having fun all they can make you people scared a little bit before 17th...And looks like its working we have Indian fans registering with BC like hot cake...
One thing for sure you need to agree that BCCI is not doing the right things by pros- ponding our right to play in INDIA. But I guess if we beat you in WC this will be the perfect answer for that biasness won't you agree?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Old March 14, 2007, 04:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I think India will will open with Dhoni on the 17th...
India has 4 openers in their team, then why go for Dhoni. Sachin, Saurav, Uthhappa, or Sehwag can open but probably they will play Sachin at no 4.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:08 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab_rn
As my id suggests i am an Indian cricket fan and like everyone on this board looking forward to our first game against Bangladesh. While going through various post i saw the confidence you all have in your team, which is a good thing but i felt a few posters are over confident.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome saab_rn at BC. Enjoy your stay.

Most of your comment is true from a very theoretical point of view. On paper, India is a much better team. On paper, New Zealand was even better, but we managed to beat them.

We are expecting a Bangladesh win. That's what every fan expects from his team. I honestly feel, India has to play it's best to escape any upset.

Yeah, I am using the word upset. Hopefully will not be using it in near future.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

so far watching how the pitches are I believe if you do not bowl good length and line, you will be smacked around. There is no help from the pitch to be able to swing the ball in any way. Bd is short of a pacer right now and our batsmen are unpredictable like the cricket game itself. let see how things go on game day, right now any team can take it home, but for BD it will take much more effort and luck on their side to win than their counterpart.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Welcome saab_rn to BC

BTW i didn't get it how is saab_rn suggesting you are Indian team fan? SAAB is not made in India!!!
oh i am sorry didnt realize that. I meant the title of thread and not my ID.

India and Bangladesh havent played each other for some time now. I cant speak for other Indian fans but after your win over New Zealand i was curious to see how Bangladesh fans reacted to that win. What surprised me was the fact that many were expecting it.

As far as test series with India goes, if you win on 17th not only will there be a test series but there will be 7 ODI series all in big centers cause crowd would settle for nothing but a clean sweep. Interest in series means more money and win on 17th will create huge interest.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab_rn

Its a game someone will win and someone will lose but lets be honest an Indian win is more likely. I am not claiming India will win no matter what but majority of posters will accept if Bangladesh does win it will be termed an 'upset'.

I noticed a whole lot of you are upset with BCCI because of various reason. Try visiting Indian cricket forums, majority of Indian fans are just as mad at BCCI as you all are maybe for different reasons but bottom line is the whole commercialization of cricket is not exactly going well with most of Indian cricket fans.

I read comments like Indian bowling is weak. Yes compared to our batting line up it is weak, compared to Aussie and even SA bowling line up it is weak but i am sure BD batsman are going to find them handful.

For all those who are worried about Dhoni do remember he comes at 7. Watchout for Uthappa. He will open and he can tonk that ball. His strike rate is 115 and avg 36, to put things in prospective Afridi SR is 109, Dhoni's SR is 98, Gilchrist's SR is 96, Aftab Ahmed SR is 87 with avg of 29.

welcome aboard, and hopefully your stay will proceed beyond the WC.

No one seriously thinks that BD is favored to win...tho many BC members might joke about it. Do we expect a win? yes. but that doesn't mean we think its likely.

everyone here will agree that if we win, it will be a major upset not just an upset. but by the same token, Bangladesh are not the whipping boys we were when India last played us.

yes, many of us have serious loathing for the BCCI's "we are over the law" attitude.

as far as the indian bowling attack, goes, in the one day game anything can happen. thus the indian attack isn't a whole lot stronger than our own. but i don't really think that indian bowlers will overpower bangladeshi batsman. the bangladeshi batsmen will get themselves out more often than not. they do it against far stronger and far weaker bowling attacks.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Aggregate Runs for each World Cup Squad

TeamMatInnsRuns
India2225176851279
Sri Lanka2217175042581
Bangladesh717.....617....11782...

Look at the stat. BD is way behind the two teams playing against in the WC07 group match. We know that. We are aware of that. We also know that the cumulative runs of all batsmen in BD team is still less than the number runs under Sachin Tendulkar's old-hag belt (over 14,000).

But when we scream and shout for the BD team, should we care and hold this stat in our hand!? Whether it is Aus or Ind we voice the same shrill tone when we play against them!

Last edited by Duck; March 14, 2007 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Dont know how to paste a table!!
Old March 14, 2007, 05:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Very sensible post by Saab. Welcome to BC. I agree to most of the things you have said. As you have said may the best team win and I know it is Bangladesh for the 17th of march. I already have a few bets on regarding that game.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:20 PM

India is a very good team...there's no doubt, period. Bangladesh is the better one among the two...with some doubt! And, March 17 will be the Judgement Day...

Last edited by kalpurush; March 14, 2007 at 05:29 PM..
Old March 14, 2007, 05:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

saab_rn, welcome to BC.

While your arguments and statistics may be true, you should realize that cricket is not completely a stats based game. May be our recent win against New Zealand will tell you that a win of a so called minnow against a stronger team is still possible. We, as passionate Bangladeshi fans, would of course not like to use the term "minnow", and replace that tag with something positive.

Stats don't always speak the truth, and that you will probably agree with me. Yes Aftab may have a lower SR and avg than Uthappa, but you are also comparing a player who has played 55 ODIs against someone who has played only 8 ODIs (7 innings).

You, as a member of BanglaCricket, will soon realize that we as Bangladeshi cricket fans are very enthusiastic about our team, even though we critically analyze each of our players from every angle. When it's relevant, we do the same about other country players, including Indian players. Currently, we're moving with the momentum that we have built after winning most of our matches (yes, mostly against weaker teams). That is significantly different from 2003. And that's why we are expecting a whole lot...although, deep inside we are ready for a loss. And you're right, someone has to be a winner. And even if Bangladesh loses, but by playing hard and giving India a run for their money, I will not be as disheartened.

The reaction you see from BC members about BCCI is the frustration that has built up over the years after repeated broken promises, yellow journalism, and lack of recognition by BCCI, Indian media, and other Indian authorities. These have nothing to do with politics, and I'm glad you have opted out from discussing such issues here.

I would like to welcome you to BanglaCricket, and be a part of the most healthy cricket forum on the net. Enjoy your stay, learn about Bangladesh cricket from us, and teach us about Indian cricket.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:27 PM

[quote=Miraz;387760]quote]
BanglaCricket Editor

Miraz bhai: Congrats to your new position! You deserve it anyway. All the best.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
India is a very good team...there's no doubt, period. Bangladesh is the better one among the two...with some doubt! And, March 17 will be the Judgement Day...
Sledging all the way...good one Kalpurush bhai
Old March 14, 2007, 05:52 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

welcome to to BC. We arent all indian haters out here, infact most of us have indian friends. But when it comes to cricket rivalries come up and each go at their own side as long as we have respect for each other everything is fine, but the reason that most are hot headed here is the fact that the bangladesh team hasnt got the proper respect or recognition from others especially from its neighbor which was the disheartining to all. Anyways welcome again here. You will find out that we are not such a bad person after all. but we we will be aggressive when it comes to cricket, cause face it the days of sachin ganguly and sehwag are over. and the days for dhoni uthapa havent even started :P
Old March 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

[quote=kalpurush;387769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
quote]
BanglaCricket Editor

Miraz bhai: Congrats to your new position! You deserve it anyway. All the best.
Thanks kalpurush bhai.
Old March 14, 2007, 06:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Welcome to the board Saab, and thanks for that well thought out first post.
Old March 14, 2007, 07:55 PM
Street Cricketer

Thanks again to everyone for welcoming me. Some random thoughts.

I believe Bangladesh's win over NZ will work against them. All of a sudden players find themself in unfamiliar territory, there is no longer pressure to keep up with India, they are now expected to win. Experienced player will raise to the occasion but younger players like Shahriar Nafees they might just crack.

Had Bangladesh not won against NZ there was a high chance India would have gone with 5 bowlers but now i am sure they will go with 7-4 combo. All batsman except Sehwag are coming with runs under there belt. Zaheer, Ajit , Munaf are bowling well. All can generate pace IF they want to. Uthappa is a wild card. If he clicks good for India if he doesnt no harm done.

The only bowler i am a little worried about is Mashrafe Mortaza. He is nippy and though gives one lose ball per over, has the ability to produce a gem every now and then.

I am not sure how comfortable Bangladesh batsman are against quick bowling but Malinga is quick. He got hammered in India but he is quick.

In my view Bangladesh has a better chance against SL than India, but its a game you never know what might happen on 17th. Last two world cups have thrown loads of surprises, even though i love surprises i dont wnt to see one at Indian teams expense.