facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 23, 2007, 11:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv
BDFlag Pick your team against Bermuda.

1. I think picking Golla instead of Tamim is a must. We need to minimize risk in this game. Golla's valuable experience could be vital on sunday. Early wickets can open up a window of opportunity to Bermuda. We don't need "jodi Liaga jai" against Bermuda and Ireland. We need grafters.

2. Rasel over Shahadat. We need to tie them down. Shahadat needs to play against the big teams in the next round to get breakthroughs, but against Ireland and Bermuda Rasel can get the same breakthroughs, but with less risk.

3. I'd also consider playing Rajin because he is a grafter and not a risk taker. He could also be handy as a 6th bowler.

4. This tour is on the verge of becoming a very long tour. We need to use these players at one point or another. We shouldn't think that there is a tomorrow. Need to go all out and play the probability at the same time. The grafters minimize our risk against Bermuda.

5. Having said that, I wouldn't play Rajin and Golla against any of the big teams in the next round. If Shahadat is ready, we need to bring him against the big teams to get that breakthrough. We can risk him against them. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Old March 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Mods, can you please move this thread to the World Cup Forum. Thanks.
Old March 23, 2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

JO (Insurance)
SN
Saquib
Aftab
Ashraf
Habibul
Mushfiq
Mash
Rafiq
Razzaq
Shahadat (He got few days rest to fix his line and length)
Old March 23, 2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

Shahadat should be in the match. It's really awesome to see him coming down the run-up, at 6 feet 4 inches, with that smooth action. He bangs out big bounces with ease. Would like to see him in action.
Old March 23, 2007, 11:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Shahadat should be in the match. It's really awesome to see him coming down the run-up, at 6 feet 4 inches, with that smooth action. He bangs out big bounces with ease. Would like to see him in action.
Dont forget the grunt....
Old March 23, 2007, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

I disagree with Pagol Chagol. Play the same 11. I don't like this mentality of playing safe. I would back Tamim. He's better than JO or Rajin. Just because he failed in one match doesn't mean they should sit him out. You need to back him or else a doubt will creep in his mind and potentially it could affect his psychology. I was thought by my coaches that you play to win and you should never have "try not to lose" mentality. Tamim would play well against the Bermudians. I also think SN the minnow slayer could get another century. Playing JO is going back to old and useless. As far as playing Shahadat is concerned well that doesn't seam too bad of a thing because Bermuda will struggle against his pace and bounce. But for me absolutely no JO nor Rajin. Must win game should always have the best players of the team and "not safe and sound" (I don't agree with the lable safe for JO because he has no shots of quality so he leaves balls out of necessity plus he has a very unorthodox technique. Horrible to watch and more appropriately an useless player in my mind. Political lobby has kept him in the team for long enough... with the new care-taker goverment in place I say kick him out and bring in new talent like Mehrab Hossain Jr.). Once more play to win, and don't go to the field "trying not to lose the match" because that's way too negative.
Old March 23, 2007, 11:52 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

only change : Shahadat in place of Rasel. This is not to say that Rasel has performed his way out of the playing XI, but its a change we can/should accomodate against Bermuda. Also, Nafees may try dropping down to no.4 to get his form back. We definitely don't want another failed outing on the top from him.

So, against Bermuda, why not go with this team :

Tamim
Mushfiq
Aftab
S Nafees
Sakib
Bashar
Ashraful
Mashrafee
Rafique
Razzak
Shahadat
Old March 24, 2007, 12:07 AM
Street Cricketer

I think we should bring shahadat in and let razzak or rafiq, one of the spiners take a break. Tamim should play as he might have a huge game given the poor quality of Barmuda opening bowlers. We need Shahriar Nafees to get his form back in this game since he usually plays good against these kind of teams.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
I don't like this mentality of playing safe. I would back Tamim. He's better than JO or Rajin. Just because he failed in one match doesn't mean they should sit him out. You need to back him or else a doubt will creep in his mind and potentially it could affect his psychology. I was thought by my coaches that you play to win and you should never have "try not to lose" mentality.
1. There is a difference between mean and variance. Even if Jo has less mean, which he doesn't, he is harder to get out quickly which is very very important to us.
2. Tamim should play against all top level teams. Sitting one game against minnows is not a confidence destroyer. It could actually help him understand a few things.
3. Playing intelligent isn't playing to lose. Taking unnecessary risks are marks of stupidity. When Tiger Woods is 5 stroke ahead, he doesn't take an experimental swing. He plays to his strength. When he is behind he needs to take those risks. We did the risk part with Tamim. Now we should do the safe part with Golla. Remember, Tamim has a large variance.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Tamim must play, he is indispensable as an opener because we need to take advantage of the opening overs. Also his fielding adds polish. Shahadat or Rasel can play, it doesn't bother me. Personally, I would go with Shahadat with extra pace and bounce.
Old March 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
1. There is a difference between mean and variance. Even if Jo has less mean, which he doesn't, he is harder to get out quickly which is very very important to us.
2. Tamim should play against all top level teams. Sitting one game against minnows is not a confidence destroyer. It could actually help him understand a few things.
3. Playing intelligent isn't playing to lose. Taking unnecessary risks are marks of stupidity. When Tiger Woods is 5 stroke ahead, he doesn't take an experimental swing. He plays to his strength. When he is behind he needs to take those risks. We did the risk part with Tamim. Now we should do the safe part with Golla. Remember, Tamim has a large variance.
Yeah it's like that Panesar vs. Giles debate. We all know who England should have picked. Tamim dominates... JO would gotten out against Malinga's shear pace as well. Sachin got out today against a very fast ball. Things happen... you gotta back your best players not useless classless players... Playing aggressive doesn't mean stupid. Taking risk or playing the ball in air or over the top in the first 20 overs is part an opener's job. Besides SN is there as a player who will bat through. If you sit Tamim out it sends the wrong message... and against SL Bd was chasing a mammoth total. I mean when Tamim's shots come off you would the first one to call Tamim a genius. Come on... you're talking about Tamim's variance after how many samples??? I think that variance is deemed to be statistically insignificant. As far as variance goes ... even that point is futile because although JO has a lower variance but his potential output is way too inferior than Tamim... JO will never give a century but Tamim might. Plus, why would you gift JO a chance to play in a world cup match? He has to earn it. Tamim proved that he's a better player because he scored runs against better opposition. One is far superior than the other. It's about consistency. Sure, Tamim will get out a few times vs few teams but he's far better than JO and there's no debate in that. Well you're talking about Tiger Woods well sure he will play it safe when he's leading but if you know Tiger woods he doesn't usually take bogey's or double boggey's to win tournaments. He's a dominating player. I don't know how much golf you watch or how familar you are with golf but i remember that shot in Canada that Tiger made trailing by 1 shot or leading by 1 i forget... but the ball was in the bunker the safe play would have been to play in the fairway and get a bogey at worst but he decided go over the hazards and water with a 9 iron distance of 230 yards. Oh yeah he made eagle on that hole. There are many instances when Tiger overcame the odds because he dared to and obviously he's gifted. If he played safe all the time he wouldn't been able to come back win down from few strokes. So in that regard I think you need to review Tiger's accomplishments and learn from it. Just because someone advances down the track and goes after the bowler doesn't mean he can't bat properly... the edges are due to lack of footwork and body positioning... modern cricketer's stance and off stump guard is geared towards hitting the ball in the off side. Lack of footwork and still head allows you to hit the ball hard in the off side and is ideal for cuts and driving on width. Often a player's demise is his best shot. Also you have to understand that one of the great things about champions is that they have better imagination than the average ones. They back their abilities because they know they can do it and as you know "fortune sometimes favours the brave". I am avid Hockey fan and before the lock out when the scoring was low and too much emphasis was placed on defence Tampa Bay won with their philosophy of "Safe is death". Nowadays with the rule changes everyone tries to play this way except for the devils. You have to think positively you are thinking way too negatively? This why there is sport psychologists... you can't be affraid to lose. You have to imagine winning the game not losing. Also, you failed to realize Banladesh isn't leading... they need to win it to make it to super 8. Also as for playing JO playing intellegently... I don' t buy into that either basically against Bermuda he will look to play for himself so he can play another inning in the team. I don't for a second believe that with JO in the team we can thrash Bermuda. We need to show the world that we are much better these 2nd tier teams. Again given the record of Bermuda there's no reason why Bd cannot win with Tamim in squad. I mean a very similar example i can give you from India who prefere Shewag or Gambhir over Akash Chopra who is in the same mould as Javed in tests (from which you don't need that much aggression as a batter). Number one reason they are both better than him. Same with Panesar and Giles debate. You pick the best players for your team not the guys who will make sure you don't lose. Can't be affraid to fail. If you look at the Australian county the captains always give a sporting declaration: tie to them is as bad as losing. Lastly if a player is good enough to play gainst top teams why would you rest him against lower teams given that we have yet to qualify for super 8. None of your statements made sense to me. I appologize if am being offensive but I myself play a lot of cricket and learned cricket and how to bat the proper way from very highly rated English coaches but I now realize that to TO BE THE BEST you have to dare... must take the game to the opposition, sure you gotta defend a few balls but just like a boxer you gotta knock the bowlers out before they knock you out.
Old March 24, 2007, 01:09 AM
Cricket Legend

I would play the same XI.
Old March 24, 2007, 01:47 AM
Test Cricketer

I would stick with the same eleven and same order (off course changes, if situation demands in the game) as the previous two. Dont forget the match against Bermuda can be "stepping-on-the -banana-skin" if we take them lightly and do too many experiment.

I think, we should win this game, come back to the winning track again and then assess what to change accordingly for the next game one by one basis.

I am stressing again one of my points like someother members: 5 Bowlers not enough to beat opponents of the super8.

BD is the only team in worldcup who uses only 5 bowlers (3 of them are SLAs!). Our weakness were revealed against SL. SL had lefties grafted all over their batting order who blanted our SLAs miserably. We would be battered by any of the team in super8. So, whatever, team you pick, think about how you accomodate an extra bowler or perhaps extra variation!

How come Aftab or Ash forgot to bowl an over! Pathetic.??
Old March 24, 2007, 01:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
1. I think picking Golla instead of Tamim is a must. We need to minimize risk in this game. Golla's valuable experience could be vital on sunday. Early wickets can open up a window of opportunity to Bermuda. We don't need "jodi Liaga jai" against Bermuda and Ireland. We need grafters.

2. Rasel over Shahadat. We need to tie them down. Shahadat needs to play against the big teams in the next round to get breakthroughs, but against Ireland and Bermuda Rasel can get the same breakthroughs, but with less risk.

3. I'd also consider playing Rajin because he is a grafter and not a risk taker. He could also be handy as a 6th bowler.

4. This tour is on the verge of becoming a very long tour. We need to use these players at one point or another. We shouldn't think that there is a tomorrow. Need to go all out and play the probability at the same time. The grafters minimize our risk against Bermuda.

5. Having said that, I wouldn't play Rajin and Golla against any of the big teams in the next round. If Shahadat is ready, we need to bring him against the big teams to get that breakthrough. We can risk him against them. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Man cmon! What are we trying to do here? Let me set you the scenario if your team was going to play. We bowl bermuda out for 180, their highest total in ODI's. We chase that down in the 49th over losing 6 wickets, and thus, Bangladesh seal an unconvincing win.
I say we take a convincing victory out of this match and let our players believe that they are in form and confident. This worked quite well in the world cup if u havent noticed, as we beat weak teams convincingly, and, in the end managed to beat new zealand and india as well.
I'd like us to eliminate this sort of attitude and go in to thrash the opposition for once.......especially since our opposition happens to be none other than bermuda.
Dont get me wrong, we shouldnt take them lightly by any means. But what im trying to say is that we've come this far, and so lets continue this "win win" attitude.
Old March 24, 2007, 01:57 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

man,thats not the attitude needed to go with in this match.we must play tamim as if he does good,then our win is sealed and also his confidence will be high.also,sn should and hopefully will make a century,so dont worry about us to bundle out quickly.the only change i want to make is to bring shahadat in for rasel and see how he does.
Junior
Old March 24, 2007, 02:14 AM
Club Cricketer

I may just think of shahadat for this game but just. playing him is a huge risk as he is irratic and my leak runs. but currently we dont have the third seamer ready. and in all likelyhood of us making it to the 8s this is the only game where we can do something different. thus may just play shahadat instead of russel.

also aftab at seven. we don't have proper batsman who can accelarate lower down the order. tamim is there for the power plays.
Old March 24, 2007, 04:22 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

No change required. Same team should play. This is the best possible combo.
Old March 24, 2007, 04:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Russell out...Shahadat In...thats all.
Old March 24, 2007, 05:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pion
How come Aftab or Ash forgot to bowl an over! Pathetic.??
Neither Aftab nor Ash have forgotten to bowl, but its our less creative captain who forgot about Aftab/ash's bowling ability. He never bothered to introduce a variation of bowling by using a part timer when Razzaq was severely smacked all over the park.

And oh...Bangladesh can't afford to push its cricket one step back by using Javed as an opener. Its time to look forward and to move on. Leaving Tamim into the side bench will only demerit our cricket. Those who think that Javed can stay at the wicket for long should be reminded that a good ball can show him the pavillion on any given day. He has only few shots on his belt with lots of technical flaws.
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life
Old March 24, 2007, 05:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Same team!

I cant believe some ppl want JLO in, Rasel out, Nafees down the order and Oh Tamim out as well

When will we fan learn to appreciate the need for stability in a team line-up or in batting order? You dont change a winning combo. The team who thrashed India is our best team and just because they surrendered to SL so easily it does not make them a poor team overnight! Rasel bowled absolutely brilliantly against the Indians and were very unlucky not to pick up wickets. But he helped others pick up wickets.

Rasel had a bad game against SL- the entire team did! There were miss ran-outs, catches dropped and things made worse by some very ordinary captaincy! There were no such intensity as the Indian match- where BD fielders were buzzing about like hornets possessed. We gave up the momentum we gained over the last few weeks very easily. We need to regain that momentum again and create intensity by taking catches, saving singles...diving, jumping...running out opposition batters ( No, Basher you dont run yourself out! its the opposition players!), bowling in the good areas etc. Body language is very important- more high-five and jiggs, looking and moving confidently and be energetic. Oppositions would not like this at all!

Yeah, I know what you guys are thinking- BD should hire me as their Mr. Motivator! Well, I will not argue with this one.

P.S: Shahadat should be tried out at some point but we can discuss this later!

Last edited by BanCricFan; March 24, 2007 at 09:29 AM..
Old March 24, 2007, 06:00 AM
Club Cricketer

i really think ashraful is a gud leg spinner...if he was only used a lil more often!! he flights the ball and spins quite a lot too....very much an attacking bowler...
Old March 24, 2007, 06:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

same team. no changes.
Old March 24, 2007, 07:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

According to Batting Order:

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Shahriar Nafees
3. Aftab Ahmed
4. Md. Ashraful
5. Sakib Al Hasan
6. Habibul Bashar
7. Mushfiqur Rahim
8. Masrafe Mortaza
9. Md. Rafique
10. Abdur Razzak
11. Shahadat Hossain

Ashraful Should Promote a Little.
Shahadat Can Play Instead of Rafique too. Bangladesh Can Play with 3 Pacers. Condition Can help Them.

The Team Should Not be Changed Too Much. It is Important to be Cosistant with The Players. If Bangladesh Win This Match, The Other Players will Get Enough chance to Play. Team COmbination is Important.

Finally, The Thing We Discuss Just Based on Our Perception. Hope Bangladesh Team Management will take All The Right Decision. Good Luck Bangladesh.
Old March 24, 2007, 08:04 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricFanBD
Russell out...Shahadat In...thats all.

I agree with CricFanBD. And we should utilize Aftab and Ash as bowlers.
Old March 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

No Change. The team should be the same that played last two matches.