facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 3, 2007, 10:21 PM
Club Cricketer

Unhappy I am deeply pained by Chappell's insinuations: Sachin

I am deeply pained by Chappell's insinuations: Sachin

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Blog this story

Mumbai: In a rare outburst, Sachin Tendulkar has broken his silence and expressed anguish over Chappell's recent quote on senior Indian players.

Chappell had reportedly said that a mafia of senior players were undermining Indian cricket.

In an interview to The Times of India, Tendulkar said, "I have given my heart and soul for 17 years. No coach had mentioned even in passing that my attitude was not correct. Cricket has been my life for all these years and will always be."

"Again, it's not that we are defending ourselves. We do realise that we played badly and as a team, we take full responsibility for that. But what hurt us most is that the coach has questioned our attitude."

These comments come in response to reports that senior members of the team ganged up against coach Greg Chappell and undermined captain Rahul Dravid's authority.

The article goes on to quote Sachin as saying, "Tell me, the world has gone on talking about all this but has anybody spared a thought for us? Did they try to find out what we have been going through? I am shattered beyond words and I feel helpless."

The senior players are in fact hoping to express that disappointment and give their own side of the story on April 5. That is when they hope to meet BCCI President Sharad Pawar.

The Indian board will be meeting on April 6-7 to review India's disastrous World Cup campaign.

The working committee meeting will be attended by BCCI office-bearers and seven former captains including Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev and Ravi Shastri.

Factionalism in Indian Cricket:
Chappell's quotes have also not gone down too well with the cricketing fraternity either. While no one is denying that factionalism in Indian Cricket is as old as the game itself in this country, washing dirty linen in public is something everyone is opposed to.

"It is completely out of control. Indian Cricket is in a mess right now and unless and until the BCCI comes strongly with decisions that are for the players to accept, for the selectors to accept, for those who control cricket to accept, Indian Cricket is going to head for serious trouble," said Milind Rege, Former Mumbai Ranji Captain.

A war of words seems to have broken out in the press between certain players and the coach with sources from both sides claiming to have been wronged by the other.

However, the problem lies not in what has been said but more in what has not been said. And neither party is willing to say on the record just what is wrong with Indian Cricket.

"There's so much speculation and the board has not yet seen or read from Greg Chappell whatever he has to say. If Greg Chappell is going and weeping on someone else's shoulder and then saying these are the kind of things that are happening and this is where the news is being picked up from, then I am sorry. Greg Chappell has erred tremendously," said Rege.

All indications are that this war of words will continue for the next few days until the BCCI officials meet all parties involved in Mumbai.
Old April 3, 2007, 10:22 PM
Club Cricketer

i made a lot of fun, now i feel bad for some of players, ofcourse i hate some, but i like 2 players sachin and Dravid even more than INdians
Old April 3, 2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

James arent you Indian?
Old April 3, 2007, 10:52 PM
Cricket Legend

And the show continues...
Old April 3, 2007, 11:12 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell2k7
James arent you Indian?
no,where on the earth
Old April 4, 2007, 12:03 AM
Club Cricketer

Chappell is a real dumb a$$, good to see him digging his own grave
Old April 4, 2007, 12:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Chappell is a real dumb a$$, good to see him digging his own grave
Both Greg and his brother Ian are renowned political thugs. They always become back-stabbing loudmouths, and sometimes even do their dirty work behind closed doors. Back in the 80s, (or was it 70s?) they both plotted to "over throw" the then captain Kin Hughes. They are really wicked guys - especially Greg.
Old April 4, 2007, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Chapell coud've got away saying things like this about any other player but Sachin is a class apart from the rest. He may be going thru a bad patch but noone should question his commitment. Cahpell may have gone too far this time.
Old April 4, 2007, 01:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Actually I am really thankful that the loss against Bangladesh and India's subsequent exit from WC has opened many worms back home. One of them being this sick political b******* would be put on an a$$ and sent back to where he belongs. His divide and rule policy will at last end.
Old April 4, 2007, 01:46 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
Both Greg and his brother Ian are renowned political thugs. They always become back-stabbing loudmouths, and sometimes even do their dirty work behind closed doors. Back in the 80s, (or was it 70s?) they both plotted to "over throw" the then captain Kin Hughes. They are really wicked guys - especially Greg.
Could nt agree more. Also who could forget the famous underarm incident masterminded by Greg.
Old April 4, 2007, 01:57 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
Chapell coud've got away saying things like this about any other player but Sachin is a class apart from the rest. He may be going thru a bad patch but noone should question his commitment. Cahpell may have gone too far this time.
This is the only sensible post in this thread that tries to discuss the issue and not abuse people.

Re. Chappell's criticism of senior players in general, may be some of it could be due to difference in the culture. In the subcontinent, you try to avoid criticising people as far as possible, even if the other person is someone working under you. The Indian players on the other hand have been pampered too much and have very little in the recent past to show for it. What Chappell said is little different from what the fans having been saying for long, especially after the World Cup defeat.
Old April 4, 2007, 03:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

whatever chappel said or done ......he's nothing and would soon be kicked out anyway....so no need to pay attention to his blabbers..... to me its more surprising that Sachin is defending himself and his crappy form in WC by saying he had 17 yrs of service to indian cricket....so what? beta its time for you to retire.... getting out on zero in a do or die match is simply untolerable
Old April 4, 2007, 04:40 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Dravid

BD Captains comments on Sachin
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanhe...4140200744.asp
Old April 4, 2007, 05:02 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

IMO, Indians are doing a bit too much and that is well capable of further destroying the spirit of the players.

You cannot expect to win matches with "prisoners".

Now, all the sponsorship is getting scrapped

From Times

Quote:
Sponsors put the final nail in coffin for shamed India

Ashling O’Connor in Bombay

Cricketers were once sure-fire winners for advertisers in India, selling everything from mobile phones to razor blades in a country obsessed with all facets of the game.
After India’s inglorious exit from the World Cup, however, companies cannot move quickly enough to dissociate their brands from the multimillionaire players who have trudged home from the West Indies as fallen heroes.
David Beckham can now be found on the adidas homepage, where only days ago Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag, the India batsmen, were the most prominent faces. Those two and several teammates also featured in a heavyweight Pepsi campaign that has been ditched.
Visa was obliged to abandon an advertisement starring the heroes of India’s 1983 World Cup victory because it ended with the line: “We will surely win.” The company has also closed its much-hyped blog, called “Inspire India”. Those who want to add their comments now find a hopeful message thanking contributors and adding: “While this year was not the best for Team India, we take heart in the fact that there will still be ample opportunities in the future for Team India to make us proud.”
Bollywood stars — usually forgotten during a cricket World Cup with viewers distracted by the action on the small screen — are the chief beneficiaries of this sudden revision, which is estimated to have cost advertisers £20 million.
India’s defeats by Bangla-desh and Sri Lanka led to elimination at the first hurdle and marked the souring of the advertising industry’s Blue Billion dream, a reference to the team’s colours.
With an eye on the world’s biggest cricket market, sponsors threw money at the ten-week tournament, played once every four years. But the India players, most of whom earn at least $1 million (about £506,000) a year from endorsements alone, failed to perform.
“Money is being diverted and that has cost the advertisers. These are the vagaries of dealing with a country so crazy about cricket,” Paranjoy Guha Thakurpa, a media analyst, said.
Quote:
Pulling rank
Other advertisements that have disappeared
— Harbajan Singh, Yuvraj Singh and Mahendra Singh Dhoni, for Reebok
— Sachin Tendulkar, for ITC Sunfeast, adidas, Canon and TVS Motors
— Sourav Ganguly, for Hero Honda motorbikes — John Abraham, the Bollywood star, is back on air
— Yuvraj Singh replaced by Saif Ali Khan, another actor, for Royal Stag

Read full story
Old April 4, 2007, 05:25 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Now, all the sponsorship is getting scrapped
Good riddance.
Old April 4, 2007, 06:03 AM

The companies are all taking advantage of the momentum / situation, it will be back soon with low price contract.
Old April 4, 2007, 09:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james007
i made a lot of fun, now i feel bad for some of players, ofcourse i hate some, but i like 2 players sachin and Dravid even more than INdians
yea i do too...a large part of tendulkar's greatness was his humility and ability to remain grounded...top class character that tendulkar fellow.

and to think, all this was caused by our very own Tigers...ROAR!
Old April 4, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

For bangladesh point of view: I hope they all retire so we get a fresh young guys to bully on
For cricketing point of view: r u kidding me even thinking about them retiring now? look at shourov? give them some time off or some thing but when they start playing no one got a clue how to stop them.

We have a 4% of tendulker in our team and we r still carrying him hoping if he banggs in a decade we will get a real big win...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Old April 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ashrafooooooool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
And the show continues...
No, ... and the SAGA continues... for indians.

it'd be tough IMO to find a foreign coach for india, even though BCCI would offer BAGS OF CASH.

i think too much $$$$$$ involved in indian cricket played its part, and it'd play in future unless they give it a real thought and consider cricket is a game, not money making mechine.
Old April 5, 2007, 05:36 AM
First Class Cricketer

I'm really happy that Sachin has at last made a comment on Greg .and Greg is out of the team as well