facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Should BCB keep Whatmore if he does not get the India job ?
Yes 24 40.00%
No 29 48.33%
Ask me again after the WC 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Should BCB keep DW if he does not get the India job ?

If India offers DW the coaching job, there is nothing BCB can do about it. He has a get out clause in his contract, he can join India team right after WC, or he can wait until our home series with India is over (which I expect a decent gentleman to do).

But, if India does not offer the job to DW, and he does not find a job anywhere else (in Pakistan or England, for example), should BCB keep him ? Can we still expect DW to contribute in further development of Bangladesh team ? Or can we expect that DW's desire to move on to another team (that he so often expresses) won't make any significant effect on his relation with players if he happens to stay with us for another two years ?

I know we are already having lots of discussion on the matter, this is just a poll to see what the majority of the fans feel.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Well, as it is the latest thread,

Read the following interview of Dav

From Prothom Alo

Last edited by Miraz; April 5, 2007 at 06:53 PM..
Old April 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

If he doesn't get the India Job all i've got to say is Dav, like the slogan say "What More" can you do? Not much more IMO.
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old April 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

I wanted this poll to close before Ireland match, because there will be a big mood swing after that match, but, aparently, I made a mistake in counting days. Mods, can you help me out here ?
Old April 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
ODI Cricketer

No more Whatmore. Thanks for the poll, I desparately wanted to give my vote.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

Cmon guys.....Why the sudden animosity? Id say......Hell yeah!
Old April 5, 2007, 06:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

This will be the most biased poll in the history of BC.

People will jump to vote "No" after todays news without considering Dav's contribution to turn a losing side into a winning side.

We have won 32 out of total 35 ODI wins under Dav Whatmore.

It's very easy to forget everything just based on sudden rush of blood and emotion.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
This will be the most biased poll in the history of BC.

People will jump to vote "No" after todays news without considering Dav's contribution to turn a losing side into a winning side.
Miraz, I can say the same thing about your poll asking whether we should keep Whatmore after the WC. That poll took place right after our victory over India, when very few people were in the mood to vote against anyone involving the current team.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Miraz, I can say the same thing about your poll asking whether we should keep Whatmore after the WC. That poll took place right after our victory over India, when very few people were in the mood to vote against anyone involving the current team.
Yes you can say that if you like.

Just keep in mind, we had 30 ODI wins out of 33 (till 17th March) under Whatmore before that.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

Its time to move on. We need a new coach. I do not think he can teach much more to our boys anymore. Its time for a new approach. Get Richard Mckinns. He will do wonders with this young squad. He has an incentive unlike Dav, who doesnt really have to prove anything to anyone.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Yes you can say that if you like.

Just keep in mind, we had 30 ODI wins out of 33 (till 17th March) under Whatmore before that.
Yeah, but we would have gotten near 30 wins if we had other good coaches as well.
A part of the wins can be attributed to Whatmore's coaching and another part as a natural progression that happens to any team. On another note, most of the players who contributed in these wins are young men, who were groomed up by our gret u 19 coaches
Old April 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
Yeah, but we would have gotten near 30 wins if we had other good coaches as well.
A part of the wins can be attributed to Whatmore's coaching and another part as a natural progression that happens to any team. On another note, most of the players who contributed in these wins are young men, who were groomed up by our gret u 19 coaches
This is a hypothetical statement.

We haven't won single matches under other great coaches for years. Hope you are old enough to remember that.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
And how convinient it is to forget that most of those wins are against Zimbabwe, Kenaya, and Scotland !

The team improved during DW's period, no one can deny that. But I think the major factor behind the improvement is inclusions of younger talents in last couple of years. We should thank McInnes, more than we should thank DW, for developing those players. Matter of fact, I think young players actually regress (Alok, Rajin, and lately SN for example) under DW.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I have voted no in this poll and I have explained my logic extensively in the whatmore thread. I had also voted yes in Miraz bhia's poll where I wanted whatmore to stay. Both my choices were made using my brain cells and not my emotions. In that respect both the polls hold credibility because even in the span of few days one incident has occured that have changed the whole scenario and it has nothing to do with the losses Bangladesh have sufferred. To me the only logical option that would be beneficial for both sides is not renewing Whatmore's contract.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

even without taking whatmore's recent comments into consideration, my answer would be "no". and not only should we not extend his contract if he doesn't get the indian offer, we shouldn't think of extending it even if there's a chance that he might get the job if we don't. all because four years is a long time, and change is good for life. new ideas, fresh perspective. nothing to do with his recent comments - i would've liked the bcb to start looking for a new coach regardless. imo, this poll shouldn't be rigged because of whatmore going public with his intentions of coaching india, but because we need a new coach to take us further. then again, people have their own views.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
And how convinient it is to forget that most of those wins are against Zimbabwe, Kenaya, and Scotland !

The team improved during DW's period, no one can deny that. But I think the major factor behind the improvement is inclusions of younger talents in last couple of years. We should thank McInnes, more than we should thank DW, for developing those players. Matter of fact, I think young players actually regress (Alok, Rajin, and lately SN for example) under DW.
You can have bright boys, to commission them properly in international cricket requires an expert and Dav's that.

If McInnes was the coach we would have seen players like Ashiqur as captain of BD and SN and others would have been sitting out to score runs in tour matches.

McInnes has certainly did some very good thing with U-19 boys, but is certainly over rated at BC.

To add to the post, win is a win, it will be counted as ODI win and that was something impossible for BD in pre Dav era even against Kenya and other associates.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
This is a hypothetical statement.

We haven't won single matches under other great coaches for years. Hope you are old enough to remember that.

And you are comparing apples and oranges. Bangladesh team in the 1990s and 2000s are not the same. I would expect better analysis from you atleast.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:39 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

We are talking about young players.

It's Dav who drafted young players into the side against all odds.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:40 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special 1
And you are comparing apples and oranges. Bangladesh team in the 1990s and 2000s are not the same. I would expect better analysis from you atleast.
I am talking about 2000's not 1990.

Look at ODI's between 2001 and June 2003.

You'll find the answer.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
I am talking about 2000's not 1990.

Look at ODI's between 2001 and June 2003.

You'll find the answer.
Still. The team, the infrastructre, everythign was different. It is not a fair comparison. And which other great coach did we have? Trevor chappel? AMarnath? Greenidge?
Old April 5, 2007, 07:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Anyway Miraz, instead of trying to sidetrack the discussion, lets stick with the main point here- can DW take us further incase he happens to get stuck with us for another two years. From his interview at Prothom-Alo, it seems to me that even DW himself does not believe so.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

He just showed interested on INDIA..doesnt mean he's a bad coach..or doing bad for us.
I say YES..we should keep him.
Old April 5, 2007, 08:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protic
He just showed interested on INDIA..doesnt mean he's a bad coach..or doing bad for us.
I say YES..we should keep him.

Definitely does not mean any of those but for sure it means that he is not wholeheartedly interested in continuing with the BD job or in other words staying longer with BD is not his priority. He would stay if he does not get the Indian job. Why should we settle for someone for whom some other job is the priority ?

It is like this, you like a girl but the girl is not sure about you because she likes someone else. NOw she is not sure whether the other person likes her or not. She would be with you if the other guy does not reciprocrate. You are just a compromise here. Why would anyone want to be a compromise or settle for anything like that. At least I would NEVER settle for this situation and the same goes for Bangladesh cricket. Whatmore is the "girl", India is the "other guy" and Bangladesh is "you".
Old April 5, 2007, 08:56 PM
Club Cricketer

It would be foolish if BD doesn't keep him.
I don't find anything wrong on his part to seek a better job, like any other individual.
Old April 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Performance is the criteria. Decisions should'nt be taken on the basis of emotions or whether someone (including fans) were hurt by his approach to Indian side. As long as he performs he should keep the job.