facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 11, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Rafique as Captain?

I know he has problem with speaking English so what? He can have a translator, Mehrab Jr.

I know he had a bad relationship with the coach long time back but I suppose that has been put to rest.

The bowlers themselves can set up fields. They know best where to put a fielder to their liking. The coach can show few settings to rafique also. No player can set a worse fielding setting than Hablu. hands down.

The team needs this the most. If we want to have 11 players on the field all the time.

Old April 11, 2007, 06:55 PM
Cricket Legend

We simply reveal our collective inferiority complex with this English nonsense. Are the Japanese ashamed that their Prime Minister cannot speak English ? Can all Heads of States or Government speak English ? Can Inzy speak English ?

Whether Rafique is the best from a cricketing point of view, I do not know. Alternatives are JO [ stand-in ] or even Murtaza. Nafees rules himself out as he cannot claim a place.
Old April 11, 2007, 06:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

um.. yea. we can try that.... he willl be a great captain.. and will be very attacking.... but will have some fights with other too...
Old April 11, 2007, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Rafique's REALLY not captaincy material, from what I gather from people who have talked to him/know him personally. To be a captain, that too of a young side, you really need to be able to motivate your players with words and provide guidance off the field, something that Bashar does well. Rafique doesn't seem to have good communication/interpersonal skills, and from what i gather from countless interviews, while he may have great understanding of the game, he is not very good at translating that to words.

now there are many things that bashar does wrong, but he tops rafique in the captaincy race because of these reasons. i hope bashar regains his form with the bat - he might just be having a bad patch (before the WC, his odi record had shown traces of improvement in the last couple of years). besides, he seems to be setting good fields of late, e.g. the games against SA and ENG.

then again, if he doesn't come around with his batting and if his performance as captain reaches a new low in the near future, so much so that we're left with no choice but to appoint new leadership, then it has to be someone other than rafique.
Old April 11, 2007, 09:33 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Rafique's REALLY not captaincy material, from what I gather from people who have talked to him/know him personally. To be a captain, that too of a young side, you really need to be able to motivate your players with words and provide guidance off the field, something that Bashar does well. Rafique doesn't seem to have good communication/interpersonal skills, and from what i gather from countless interviews, while he may have great understanding of the game, he is not very good at translating that to words.

now there are many things that bashar does wrong, but he tops rafique in the captaincy race because of these reasons. i hope bashar regains his form with the bat - he might just be having a bad patch (before the WC, his odi record had shown traces of improvement in the last couple of years). besides, he seems to be setting good fields of late, e.g. the games against SA and ENG.

then again, if he doesn't come around with his batting and if his performance as captain reaches a new low in the near future, so much so that we're left with no choice but to appoint new leadership, then it has to be someone other than rafique.
i agree...well said.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
Club Cricketer

Yah, we can try him out.

I dont see how speaking English can be a concern, I have seen majority of International Players in different tracks not able to speak, so this is not an issue or concern.

Question is mamur matha thanda thakboto....
Old April 11, 2007, 11:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

I'll go with ATMR.
Captain or not..whenever Rafique finishes his career and retire..he'll go with his head high!
Old April 12, 2007, 01:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Rafique can be a better captain than Hablu and many in the team. Only problem is, he probably doesnot have much time in his career.
English is not a problem to be a captain.
His own motivation to cricket; makes him more than capable to motivate others.
Wheather he is a captain or not .. .. he is one of the greatest cricketer's of BD. I am proud of him.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:30 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

ATMRs got it. Rafique bhai wasn't much of a talker. The young players look upto him as a senior bhai but Sumon's really got great relationship with the boys. No matter how bad his form is, he probably would be a better candidate if it comes down between him and Rafique. I personally think that Rafique's better off guiding the younger players as a senior player.

Plus, you got to look at the age factor. Let's think, officially he is 36, unofficially ? 38 ? Let's say he has got TWO years of international cricket left in him. What possible benefit could we get by forcing him into the hot sit ? Two bad matches and the same people that want him as captain will ask for his head. Ki dorkar unar ei shob jhamelai jawar ?

Solution ki eta aami janina. However, World Cup cholakalin shomoye Sumon kei captain hishabe chaliye jete hobey. Hoyto ekta 'fake' injury dekhiye next match dutoi sideline e boshiye rakha jabey but no reason to break the team spirit but changing the captain in the middle of a major tournament. Plus, IF the players are happy with their captain, this would backfire on us (the ones that want Sumon out). Captaincy comes with a lot of stress and Sumon's struggle with the bat could be a direct response to the stress created by the expectations of millions. Let's not forget that this man did carry the team in various occasions.

Going back to Rafique, I could care less about his English. I'd be happy to hear him do all his interviews in Bangla.
Old April 12, 2007, 03:16 AM
Test Cricketer

i agree wid ATMR and Tehsin
Rafique is not a captaincy material where as Bashr is. Poor us, our bad luck that Bashr doesnt perform.If he perfomed it wld b very gud news for us.
Nywaz,we hv gud luck in getting a captain who can contrl the boys n field set up well.
Old April 12, 2007, 03:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Let's make Dav whatmore the captain...Ja mone ashe.. tai thread open korte hobe! Don't be like me....
Old April 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I know he has problem with speaking English so what? He can have a translator, Mehrab Jr.

I know he had a bad relationship with the coach long time back but I suppose that has been put to rest.

The bowlers themselves can set up fields. They know best where to put a fielder to their liking. The coach can show few settings to rafique also...
But are you forgetting that Rafiq is probably retiring from ODIs after the worldcup?
I think I saw a TV interview of him talking about it. He is planning to become a groundsman to make good-quality pitches for BD after retirement.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Interesting! Is not Rafiq is going to retire after WC?
Old April 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiazk
We simply reveal our collective inferiority complex with this English nonsense. Are the Japanese ashamed that their Prime Minister cannot speak English ? Can all Heads of States or Government speak English ? Can Inzy speak English ?.
Absoulately right. Their job is not speak English well. How good they play that should be matter. I will love to see our players are giving interviews in our language like in Football, the player give their views in their language. If anyboby have problem to understand then he can go with translator.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:32 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Rafique is too old, not a good prospect for the long term. Even a temporary fix can be risky. It's not his English, I just doubt he has a communication as good as Bashar has with the players.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

after wc and india tour if bashar retires then we should bring in TI in place of basher and we can make rafiq captain for next few years by that time if TI performs we can have a good captain for 2011 WC
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 12, 2007, 01:46 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Did you guys read the utpol shuvro's add with 3 SLA in prothom alo. Rafique said something very important there without realizing what he said. He can read the batsman and bowls accordingly, and that is one reason of his success. We need that! if the captain can read the opposite batsmen 50% of the job is done then and there. I know he is not a long term solution, as his age is catching up, but I think he can be a much better option than hablu at the moment.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:53 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Rafique isnt the solution to our ODI captaincy problem. His ability (or lack of it) to communicate with the players (as ATMR touched on) and the international media is obviously a concern. Let's face it, Rafique isn't (never was) the candidate to be the captain for the future. He doesnt have many years left in his career.

I have been maintaining that realistically, the ideal time for Bashar to stand down from the ODI team would be after the WC, before the India series starts. We need to look into the future and put the next captain to test in the shorter version of the game (with the T20 WC coming up as well). Shahriar Nafees has been highly touted from all fronts as the next one, and I believe we can proceed with him. He needs to fix a few technicalities of his batting when it comes to facing top opponents, and his recent slump, which is definitely an awful one, shouldn't deter our faith awar from him. Mushfiq also seem to have the qualities of a leader, and can be a serious candidate (if necessary) in a couple years time.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

did you guys just forget that rafique is 37 and going to retire after the world cup? We need a new captain for the new team. Instead of looking for the most senior player I think we need someone young but with all the leadership qualities. Rafique is a great player no doubt, but if we are looking at him to lead our team then sorry, we are looking back not forward
Old April 12, 2007, 01:57 PM

Guys, we all know Rafique's limitations. But face it. Hablu is doing a terrible job. We need a make shift, NOW. Frankly, I don't even care if its Rafique or not. I just want to see someone else beside Hablu as the captain.
Old April 12, 2007, 01:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
did you guys just forget that rafique is 37 and going to retire after the world cup? We need a new captain for the new team. Instead of looking for the most senior player I think we need someone young but with all the leadership qualities. Rafique is a great player no doubt, but if we are looking at him to lead our team then sorry, we are looking back not forward
That's why I am saying we need TI in the team and while he settles in the NTL we give the captaincy for some time. there is no one in the team who is confirm and can have the captaincy...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 12, 2007, 02:01 PM

TI? you mean the bang bang TI (tamim Iqbal) or choke to death TI (Tushar Imran?)
Old April 12, 2007, 02:52 PM
Cricket Legend

its foolish to experiment with captaincy, I know everyone wants Hablu out, but experimenting with our entire 11 players for captain just for the sake of getting rid of HB doesnt sound smart....

Like many others here, even I cant come up with a definite name for our next captain, and I feel Rafiq wont solve the problem...

Only if Habibul Bashar got some runs in his bat, or atleast play a JO innings coming one-down, we could have avoided this captain-crisis atleast for another year.....
Old April 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Khaisey.... thread khuley money hoi Dhora Khaisey Tiger Bhaiya....
Old April 12, 2007, 04:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Khaisey.... thread khuley money hoi Dhora Khaisey Tiger Bhaiya....
If you build they will come. that's the concept. I am putting the seed in. Buira rafiq jokhon Ash, Aftab'rey shobar shamney jhari dibo shobbai sur sur koira amar doley dukbey. Jokhon coach'rey banglai gali dibo shobbai bhah ba diya amarey dhonno bad dibo. Ar jokhon banglai media'rey dholai dibo tokhon deshbasi proud hoiya bolbo "sir, I salute you". Amarey na, rafique'rey!