facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 21, 2003, 12:11 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default I take my word back on what I said on Whatmore earlier

I take my word back on Whatmore on what I said earlier that if I were the BCB president, I would fire him.

Although I am still ignorant about Whatmore's plans about Bangladesh's bowling today, but I am pretty convinced that what he had wanted to achieve today was something great for our future.

I think that he had thrown a challenge to the batsman to stay at the wicket until the 40th over and then told them to try and make runs as many as they can in some quick time.

Unfortunately, our young batsman like Hannan Sarkar, Rajin Saleh, Alok Kapali, Tushar Imran, Mushfiqur Rahman - they all have to learn how to make some quick runs and not to go out in the process.

I think that was why our oldies like Sujon and Pilot as well as Rafique were held back - at pretty lower down the order and let the younger men face the challenge.
Old September 21, 2003, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Dav already made it clear, he is not going for a easy win. He wants BD to gradually get to a point where we can win regularly.

He is experimenting, most of them might be idiotic, but a few will work, he is looking for those few. In time, those few will be the strength.
Old September 21, 2003, 12:58 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Barry Bonds and JO
Default Physical Strenght is a key.

i have said this in the past, and i will say this again.

"Physical Strenght is a very very big plus in cricket"

our performance in the 5th ODI was very impressive, i had never thought that our team would score 244 and to keep the wickets for so long.

unfortunately, our players are not physically strong enought to hit a shot across the ropes (6 runs).

i hope in time these players will grow not only in skill but also in strengh.

Akram Khan (our ex-captain) is one of the few players i have seen that can hit a bowl across the ropes, but he is a blind hitter, that is what makes him an ordinary players. if he had some more skill to be consistant, i would not mind to see him on our national side again.
Old September 21, 2003, 01:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Hitting sixes is not all about strength

I've seen some pretty small guys, like Paul Adams, hit some pretty huge sixes. Actually, there is technique to slogging as well. If you see the best players, when they hit big shots, they dont just close their eyes and swing the bat. You'll see that they will still play pretty orthodox shots, except taking the ball early and hitting it over the top. The most important thing is not to raise your head early. When you hit a normal drive, your head points down and your eyes are on the ball till the moment you make contact. When you hit a big shot, you should do the same, keep your head down till after contact with ball. Our players don't do that. You will see that even before they have hit the shot, they lift their heads and stare at where they are trying to hit the ball, not at the ball itself. If you lift your head early, you can't time the ball properly, which is why they get caught at the ropes. Its not a case of strength.

Fahmida, you actually wanted to sack Whatmore? You must have been drunk that day.
Old September 21, 2003, 01:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

Not true. Strength is important, but so is timing. I've seen little guys like Sujon and Durjoy hit huge sixes in international matches. ALL our batsmen are capable of hitting huge sixes. Masri is capable of clearing the stadium.

[Edited on 21-9-2003 by paco]
Old September 21, 2003, 02:44 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Masri will be specially trained to hit SIX :P

Dav is the man...
Old September 22, 2003, 12:08 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I admit that my anger made me blind throughout the entire bowling and fielding session of Bangladesh from the moment I had seen Mushfique to open the bowling again.

My logic for that anger was that Dave had seen how bad things go when Mushfique opened the bowling on the 1st One Dayer - so why would he try to do the same thing again?

In addition, it was moves like this by Kenyan team management that gave us our first ODI victory against them - Tikolo opening the bowling for them - and also Rafique loving Tikolo's over-pitched balls.

My logic in that was I have never seen Tikolo or the Kenyan team management making the same mistakes ever again. Another reason why we could not defeat Kenya again and why we are repeating same things and so we could not win again - against Kenya and in some cases against other teams as well.

I was also blinded by the idea that we don't see someone like Saurav Ganguly - who seems actually a good medium pacer who can maintain a good line and length to open the bowling - no matter what.

I guess in the end, it was just turned out to be a foolish experiment - nothing more.
Old September 22, 2003, 04:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Saurav did open the bowling in the tests against australia in the late 90's. But ya, it's an isolated occurance.
Old September 22, 2003, 08:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Strenth as well as tacnic is very nesseccary for get a six.Timing is also need for that.But when u get a good timing u get a four but it is nesseccery to have strenth for getting a six. But i think most of our player have not strenth.Because they get a lot of four in any matches but not get a six(except last match).
Old September 22, 2003, 08:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Strength is about 30%, technique and timing is about 70%. Otherwise how do you explain the Sri Lankan batsmen like Jayasuria getting all those sixes? He's about the same height and weight as Sumon.
Old September 22, 2003, 08:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Hey capslock height is not a factor.I say about strenth.Joyasurya has strenth to get 6.Tacnic is needed only for 4.But both tacnick timing and strenth are needed for 6.Joysurya has all of them but sumon has no strenth.If u say about height then would like to say about Sachine.He is as like as sumon(say about height).
Old September 22, 2003, 08:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalbaisakhi
Hey capslock height is not a factor.I say about strenth.Joyasurya has strenth to get 6.Tacnic is needed only for 4.But both tacnick timing and strenth are needed for 6.Joysurya has all of them but sumon has no strenth.If u say about height then would like to say about Sachine.He is as like as sumon(say about height).

How do you know how strong either Sumon or Jayasuria is? Have your arm-wrestled them? Or do you work out at the gym with them?
Old September 22, 2003, 08:57 AM
Cricket Legend

He got punched in the face, by both of them, for not making sense while he talks.
Old September 22, 2003, 09:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
He got punched in the face, by both of them, for not making sense while he talks.
Old September 22, 2003, 09:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Caps lock yes i worked out at the gym with them.