facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 16, 2007, 11:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone
Default Ahraful's dismissal vs. Ireland.

Everyone seems to be blaming Bashar for Ashraful's dismissal. I think this is a little unfair to Bashar, and let's Ashraful off the hook (pardon the pun!) True, Bashar did frustrate Ashraful into that shot, but shouldn't Ash have gone up to his skipper and (politely) ask him to get a move on and look for the quick single and the second run? Rather, he should have stuck to his game plan of going for 1s and 2s to push his lacklustre captain into motion.

Old April 17, 2007, 12:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

6 months ago, ash would have been the culprit. but he has clearly matured into a better cricketer and bashar has, well, he's just matured...too much.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old April 17, 2007, 12:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: AC Gilchrist

Why is Bashar so bad at running between the wickets? Is it age, fitness or just poor judgment?
Old April 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZGOD
Why is Bashar so bad at running between the wickets? Is it age, fitness or just poor judgment?
Unfortunately all three "age, fitness and just poor judgmen".
Old April 17, 2007, 01:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
Everyone seems to be blaming Bashar for Ashraful's dismissal. I think this is a little unfair to Bashar, and let's Ashraful off the hook (pardon the pun!) True, Bashar did frustrate Ashraful into that shot, but shouldn't Ash have gone up to his skipper and (politely) ask him to get a move on and look for the quick single and the second run? Rather, he should have stuck to his game plan of going for 1s and 2s to push his lacklustre captain into motion.
Off course, Ashraful is to blame primarily. He may be young but he ha 100 ODIs under his belt, he should've known better.

But the Bashar factor just cannot be ignored. When your captain's carrying a defeatist attidute, its hard to be objective. Good managers know how to get the most work out of their workers. Bashar should've known how to make Ashraful stay at the crease and take game away from the Irish. At that point only Ashraful could have saved the match.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:47 AM
ODI Cricketer

How is Bashar to blame for the shot that Ashraful played, though? Surely Ashraful is in control of what types of shots he chooses to play?
Old April 17, 2007, 01:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
How is Bashar to blame for the shot that Ashraful played, though? Surely Ashraful is in control of what types of shots he chooses to play?
The contention here is or at least how I see it is that Bashar is not to blame for that particular shot but Bashar's attitude as Ashraful's batting partner and captain certainly didn't help. Bashar seemed unable or unwilling to take singles or convert 1s into 2s. Ashraful might have felt it was imperitive that he scores bounderies and go for big shots which was clearly NOT the need of the moment.

But as I said, Ashraful's an experienced campaigner and should've known better.
Old April 17, 2007, 01:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
The contention here is or at least how I see it is that Bashar is not to blame for that particular shot but Bashar's attitude as Ashraful's batting partner and captain certainly didn't help. Bashar seemed unable or unwilling to take singles or convert 1s into 2s. Ashraful might have felt it was imperitive that he scores bounderies and go for big shots which was clearly NOT the need of the moment.

True, but Ashraful tends to play the big shots anyway - he tried to paddle sweep McGrath over his shoulder first ball during the OZ-BD match! I get the sense he's not a big fan of going for singles and rotating the strike anyway. But in any case, Ashraful should have told Bashar to pull his head in - just because Bashar is the captain doesn't mean you can't tell him when he's playing like a muppet.
Old April 17, 2007, 02:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Totally bashar's fault..come on.. He's 34..Ashraful is 21..and Bash is also the captain.. it was Ashraful..who was asking bashar to calm down..Ashraful would have scored a 70+ only if we had Aftab or Mushy or Even Sakib with him.
Old April 17, 2007, 04:31 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
6 months ago, ash would have been the culprit. but he has clearly matured into a better cricketer and bashar has, well, he's just matured...too much.
Not bad al-furqaan bhai! not bad!
Old April 17, 2007, 04:53 AM
Street Cricketer

Oh no! Bashar was completely guilty for Ashraful's out.He called her captain to take single or doubles etc but did Bashar follow Ashraful?At one stage,We had to need runs and obviously single and doubles was important for us to chase Irish scores.Did bashar do it? The answer is NO.Bashar is totally responsible for his out and he should concentrate on in test cricket not in ODI.
Old April 17, 2007, 05:08 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

Jabbar, agree with you.

Remember, Ashraful was giving suggestions to Tamim and what the hell Tamim did later! I am sure Ashraful was asking him not to take risks. And instead tamim went for completely unnecessary all-out attack.

The same applies for Ashraful's out. He looked so composed and suddenly he transformed into a stupid to fall in the trap. Bashar on his part could ask him to play sensibly (which he apparently did not do) specially after Ashraful got a life off a similar shot; but Ashraful is the one to blame for this. Blaming Bashar would ignore Ashfools fault.
Old April 17, 2007, 06:04 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
2 months ago, we were all saying to drop Ashraful for his irresponsibility. Proof: just read this forum.

And now, Ashraful has suddenly become the most responsible player who can't be even blamed for his poor shot?
Old April 17, 2007, 06:30 AM
ODI Cricketer

I just can't understand how one player can be blamed for another's bad shot.
Old April 17, 2007, 06:45 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper

i was more angry at ashraful becoz even i knew not to play that shot and im not even a cricketer. that was such a school boy error.

he can see there was a man at long-off why go for that shot.
Old April 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

on top of hitting it exactly to the spot where the fielder was standing, he hit it exactly where the fielder just missed it 3-4 balls ago.

Reminds you of Dhoni and Monty Panesar, no? Now, only if Ash was as consistent as Dhoni (when dhoni's not this out of form)...
Old April 17, 2007, 07:59 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Bashar was completely paranoid about not getting run out. That was ALL going on in his mind. He did not have the game, win or lose or anything else. Watching that portion of the game, I felt like Ash would come to the other end, carry Bashar to his end, and then come back to opposite end to complete a run. RRR was almost 6 at that moment. Dot balls was simply not an option. Even more, Ash did go with the right attitude. He was judging the balls to play the shot. Then, he got completely frustrated by his captain. Mind it, it supposed to be the captain who guides you. When you have to guide the captain who is not willing to even follow, what else we do? Ash is a hothead, we all know that, he likes to play his shots. Making him mad was all he needed to go crazy.

Who do you blame for that? He looked so much in touch on his innings until Bashar came that it seemed like another Eid day. Not to be, because of Bashar.
Old April 17, 2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Ash was partly to blame.

He played his cheeky shot twice in the same area - went for 4's.
Tried again ( 3rd ball in a row), and was caught - JUST LIKE the SA Match!
Old April 17, 2007, 08:04 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

It was solely Ash's fault. He played a similar shot just a couple of balls ago and was nearly out. I don't understand how not taking a single just then caused Ash to completely lose all sense. He was playing well...there was no need to go for extravagant shots at that time even if there were 3 maidens in a row. It was a good wicket to bat on. Ash and the batsmen to follow would have made up for it later. Ash was the in-form batsman and it was his responsibility to see us through. That moment of insanity is something one will not associate with some one like Shahriar Nafees. Nafees, or for that matter Sakib, if he had see off the early period would have taken it upon himself to see us through and eschewed unnecessary shots. There in lies the difference between the two. Bashar was fighting his own demons. He was obviously determined not to lose his wicket to yet another run out. At the very least, Ash could have waited till the end of the over and talked things over with Bashar...or just walked up to Bashar and talked things out right after one of those missed singles.

Last edited by Zobair; April 17, 2007 at 08:11 AM..
Old April 17, 2007, 08:47 AM

Cricket is a game of concentration. It is extremely hard to carry on with an innings when you are mad at the person at the opposite end. True, SN or Shakib would be able to do that. But not Ash. It is not in his nature. The captain should know better and know how to handle that. But wait, that part might not be included in the captaincy script that Bashar follows. So, he can't do anything about it.
Old April 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Great post Jobair bhai. It says it all. Just because patience is not in Ash's nature doesn't make it okay for him to throw his wicket and blame it on someone else. Bashar is guilty for a lot of things happening on the field including some poor running between the wickets but Ash's out is completely Ash's fault and noone elses. If our main batsman loses concentration within an over, we have some serious problem.
Old April 17, 2007, 09:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Ashraful and only Ashraful can be charged for that crime. Earlier he was lucky that it landed on no man's land where two fielders were running for that ball, so after few balls later he makes no mistake and takes the same shot only to give it to the fielder standing there who didn't require to move at all. He did the exact same thing against South Africa. So we can all formulate our own possible explanations but only Ashraful himself can provide the actual reason for that shot.

Possible explanation 1: He was not aware that a fielder positioned there.
Possible explanation 2: He was aware of the fielder and tried to place the ball over or away from the fielder, basically he tried to hit it somewhere else other than that position.
Possible explanation 3: He did not play a controlled measured shot but an instinctive compulsive shot.
Old April 17, 2007, 09:24 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Cricket is a game of concentration. It is extremely hard to carry on with an innings when you are mad at the person at the opposite end. True, SN or Shakib would be able to do that. But not Ash. It is not in his nature. The captain should know better and know how to handle that. But wait, that part might not be included in the captaincy script that Bashar follows. So, he can't do anything about it.
Is Ash not a professional player? Or the standard of professionalism lower for him? I know he was angry at Bashar. But that's no reason to play a shot like that...that's no reason for a player of his caliber and image on the international arena to lose control.......fficeffice" />

I'm not blaming him alone for the loss. But the responsibility for losing control and playing that shot was his and his alone.
Old April 17, 2007, 09:32 AM

Well, I did not say it was not his fault at all. But I'll give the bulk of the share to Bashar. Watch the replay of his innings if possible. He was playing so sensibly when Tamim was there. What happened suddenly that he went crazy? Of course Ash is guilty not being able to control himself, but you have to think who made him crazy at the first place. None other than the captain who was supposed to guide him. If it were not the captain on the other end who had only one thing in mind "not being run out", that would still be understandable. But that was totally unacceptable behavior from a captain.

Be in the middle, and not be able to sync with the other end, and you'll see how things goes. A cool head would be able to handle it. But we all know Ash is not one of them. It's not something of a characteristic of Ash that grew on that day. How come Bashar did not know what would happen if he kept making 2->1 and 1->0?

Did you see the look he gave to Bashar after he got out? Looked to me, he wanted to through his wicket to give Bashar a lession. Poor Ash, he did not know, lesson is something Bashar cannot learn.
Old April 17, 2007, 10:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

well, even the commentators were blaming Bashar for that out. He was pathetically reluctant to take singles, and almost had Ashraful runout in previous ball (it was a clear single, and Bashar were so worried with his 3 runouts out of 6 matches, that he dennied to take that single when Ashraful were at mid crease). Although Ashraful is eventually responsible for his shot, but clearly Bashar doesn't have the ability to guide these young players. Although at the moment I cannot see anyone who can take his place.

Quote:
I just can't understand how one player can be blamed for another's bad shot.