facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 20, 2007, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan
Default Academy shows the future - Noman Mohammad

Any of you guys feeling down? After thumping back to back losses to Ireland and West Indies, some of us may find it hard to be optimistic. Apparently, the Academy team coach (Allister De Winter) doesnt have that problem.
Here are a few excerpts from an article in Tiger Cricket
Quote:
When can Bangladesh hope to be among the leading cricket playing nations?

Allister: Within five years. I strongly believe that when these players (academy scholars) will form the majority of the team Bangladesh will start winning the Test matches. I also consider Bangladesh as one of the title contenders for the 2011 World Cup because that team will be full of Academy players.
And

Quote:
How talented are these young stars? (Referring to the Academy team boys)

Allister: They are naturally gifted. At their age they are better than the Australian boys, from where I came from. They may not be strong enough mentally or physically but they are much more skillful. So in the academy we try to make them tougher and stronger and disciplined about their cricket. And you can see the reflection of that
CHECK OUT THE WHOLE ARTICLE HERE
Old April 20, 2007, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

This gives us something to be hopeful about.
Old April 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sami, Afridi, Asif, Shoby

well wish em gud luck
Old April 20, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Nice read.

Make sure you guys get the 5 year window. We are pushing Tamim a little early.
Old April 20, 2007, 12:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

This is great! Hopefully the academy will train them not to take stupid shots like Tamim. Or go for a big shot right after hitting a six or four. Which is the main problem with players like Ashraful and Aftab and Tamim. They are talented, but also act stupid (specially Tamim).
Old April 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
They may not be strong enough mentally or physically but they are much more skillful.
Thats the key point. We need our academy boys to develop their mental strength more than anything at this point. We know how talented they are and what they are capable of doing. They need to be mentally strong and understand the importance of consistency. I hope Tamim goes back and work on his footwork. If he can improve his footwork and learns the game a little more, he can be a beast.
Old April 20, 2007, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

It might just be a sales pitch.
Old April 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

mental and physical strength are the main thing. all nations give brith to more or less skillful cricketers. it's their development that makes the aussies the aussies, and the south africans the south africans. we need the transition state to help develop the young cricketers.
Old April 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Isnt mental toughness related to the cultural/behaviral sorroundings? When Bangladeshi boys are growing up with much of TLC and reliance on the 'father'/'big brother', teachers always asking them to memorize than being creative,, do you expect that Bangladeshis will be mentally tough naturally? I rather think such persons are called "Pashan" in bengali culture, if I am not mistaken..
Old April 20, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

ah! we will never get a hayden for sure. But what about a Jayawardana or Dravid?
This is really very encouraging stuff. Thanks for posting it here. Reading those few lines were so good feeling.
Old April 20, 2007, 04:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Though this is enough to make us hopefull but it definitley does not guaranty any thing. I am also not too sure about his assessment as he's the man in crage who is definitely biased in his opinion.
Old April 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Isnt mental toughness related to the cultural/behaviral sorroundings? When Bangladeshi boys are growing up with much of TLC and reliance on the 'father'/'big brother', teachers always asking them to memorize than being creative,, do you expect that Bangladeshis will be mentally tough naturally? I rather think such persons are called "Pashan" in bengali culture, if I am not mistaken..
Becoming mentally tough also takes courage and perseverance, you have to endure a lot of things because there is no easy way out. For example, Tamim needs to understand he cannot hit his way out every time he is in a crisis. Saqib can be a blazing role model/ example- look how cool he is under any kind of situation. Beside the players the fans also need to be patient. Every time we have a bad performance we shouldn't cry for the head of someone- this time it is Bashar's head we are after, who will be next?