facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 24, 2007, 09:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Default News: Fleming stands down as skipper

NZ Herald

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Stephen Fleming today quit as captain of New Zealand's one-day cricket team after his side's crushing World Cup semifinal loss to Sri Lanka.

"I want to keep on playing but I'm standing down as captain of the one-day side," he told a news conference.

Fleming has played 280 one-day internationals since making his debut in 1994. He has been captain on 218 occasions since 1997.

Fleming wants to remain as captain of the New Zealand test team. His successor as one-day captain is likely to be spin bowler Daniel Vettori.

Fleming, 34, has served as skipper for three World Cups, reaching two semifinals. But New Zealand have never reached the World Cup final and have now lost five semifinals in nine tournaments following today's 81-run loss.

"I'm not sure there was much more we could have done. As far as planning goes, we were extremely clear in our minds what we wanted to do," Fleming added.

"I've only just turned 34 and I've got some good batting years ahead of me. I want to concentrate on that for a while," Fleming said.

He has scored 8,037 runs in one-day internationals at an average of 32.40, with just eight centuries.

"I'd like to play the game as a batsman and in some ways your energy levels are sapped when you captain a side," Fleming said.

"I'd like to finish my career with some stats I think I'm worth."

Fleming said Vettori was the strongest candidate to take over the one-day leadership. However, much depended on whether coach John Bracewell and the present selectors decided to stay on.

"There's going to be a lot of change in New Zealand cricket," Fleming said, adding that by carrying on as test captain he would make it easier for his eventual successor to get used to leading the side.

Old April 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Didn't I just see this here?
Old April 24, 2007, 10:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Ohhh, sorry

Mods, can please merge this with the following thread in international section ?

http://banglacricket.com/alochona/sh...ad.php?t=20791
Old April 25, 2007, 02:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mullah, Fizz, SS

its a sad news...he could have continued.
Junior
Old April 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Sometimes fresh blood can inspire a side to achieve something that has not been achieved. Captain wise he has done everything possible. It is just the other team was too strong on that day. As for team discipline SL is much better than the rest of the so called strong teams. In 1996 the took advantage of slogging in first 10-15 overs. Now they have backed away from slogging in the powerplay overs. Just facinating to watch.