facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Tk 270cr laundered money recovered

7 businessmen involved in the illegal transfer; govt hopes to retrieve Tk 3,000cr more
Rejaul Karim Byron

For the first time in the country's history, the government has retrieved Tk 270 crore of illegal money from seven businessmen and is expecting to recover around Tk 3,000 crore more soon.In the face of the government's anti-corruption drive conducted by the joint forces, these businessmen have paid the amount through several pay orders in local currency, banking sources said.
Sources said this is also the first time the government exchequer has collected money recovered after being pilfered from the public coffers. The central bank will consider the recovered money as "non-tax revenue".
Bangladesh Bank (BB) yesterday informed the finance ministry that the money has been deposited in the government account.
Meanwhile, the recovered money directly contributed to the improvement of the government's borrowing status, bringing it down to Tk 4,300 crore on Monday from Tk 4,700 crore in the first week of this month, according to BB sources.
Of the seven businessmen who deposited the amount through pay-orders, the names of three could be learnt. They are Anis Ahmed Gorki of MGH Group--business partner of former prime minister Khaleda Zia's son and BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Tarique Rahman, Nader Khan whose identity details were not available, and Salman Ispahani of the Ispahani Group. But, talking to The Daily Star, Salman Ispahani refuted the BB report, claiming that he did not deposit any money.
Gorki was earlier arrested and subsequently released upon his promise to cooperate in refunding the money gained through ill means.
A larger chunk of the retrieved Tk 270 crore consists of illegal money involving one single deal--the sale of 17 large tea gardens and other assets of the UK-based company to a group of eight leading local entrepreneurs for Tk 380 crore.
It is alleged that the actual price was never disclosed and the payment was made through an unofficial channel illegally.
Sources said following clues from top graft suspects, the joint forces interrogated many businessmen accused of being involved with high profile financial crimes.
Based on the primary findings, the joint forces believe the government can retrieve another Tk 3,000 crore, which was illegally transferred abroad, with a portion remaining inside the country.
Many of the corruption suspects have promised the government that they would pay it in US dollars through cheques to be deposited in the central bank.
The BB received Tk 230 crore as pay orders from the seven businessmen last week. It received another Tk 40 crore as pay orders yesterday, central bank sources said.
A source, however, said, "This recovery is almost nothing. But this proves the level of corruption in Bangladesh during the alliance government's rule."
When the joint forces launched the anti-corruption drive in February, the USA and the UK offered the government expertise help in investigating international financial crime, he added. But, for some unknown reasons, the government has not yet taken that help and meanwhile the anti-corruption drive has dramatically slowed down, he said.
"The recovery has been made despite the government's weaknesses in investigating financial crimes. Imagine what we could achieve if we had the expertise," the official said.
Maj Gen Masud Uddin Chowdhury, chief of the National Coordination Committee on combating corruption and crime, told the press after a meeting at the Anti-Corruption Commission on April 18, "The taskforce members from the army, navy and the air force do not have that kind of experience in investigations. This has specially affected the pace of the progress of investigations." He added that a move was being made to develop the expertise of the investigators.
The sale deal of foreign tea company, which has been producing tea since the time of British rule in the subcontinent, was secretly made in January last year.

DS >>

Old April 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

These businessmen just make the word "core" sound so small. Anyway, impressive work by the government. But I really wonder why they didn't take help from US and UK with their financial auditors and forensic accountants. May be our Tom and Jerry can help answer that?
Old April 27, 2007, 04:36 PM
Cricket Legend

With such a good news about Bangladesh Biman I have decided to change my avatar.
Old April 27, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Is that a pic of a Biman crashing? That's what it looks like tho!
Old April 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Cricket Legend

you got that right Kabir Bhai
Old April 27, 2007, 05:04 PM
Cricket Guru

OMG. I was only kidding!
Old April 27, 2007, 07:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

This is not even the tip of the iceberg as far as recovering money goes. They percieve that they can get back almost 3000 crore and I think if they try hard enough the amount will be mch more. Just as an idea one single chor has himself taken about 500 crore from his own Bank only. Other than that he got himself tenders and deals detrimental to the welfare of the country which are themselves worth around 1000 crore. He lives in a house which he built with 20 crore, drives 8 luxury vehicles and has been absconding ever since the BNP government's tenure ended. For starters I say catch that mofo and ghar ta dhore desh e ano. Then beat the living crap out of him so that he gives back all the money he stole.

Kabir you still dint answer me about who is Tom and who is Jerry.
Old April 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Well done I must say and I hope they keep it up and put the money to good use.

My only worry is the money falling into wrong hands all over again.
Old April 27, 2007, 07:28 PM
Cricket Legend

good news....

yea, the way they kept referring to crores as if we have crore taka bills...but good thing they are coming back to the country....

p.s: kisu taka amar moto fokir...thukku.... international student der daan korleo to pare....
Old April 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
So... they are gonna list it publicly, and first thing to face Biman will be a Tk. 5000 crore fuel bill debt. Interesting... I doubt I'd want to buy Biman shares on IPO
thats true...the CTG should subsidize the stocks or something then....
Old April 28, 2007, 04:58 AM
Banned

Allrounder, please change your avatar. As a Bangladeshi (I do not know what your nationality is) I find it very offensive. Bangladeshis often suffer as a result of them being percieved as a poor people from a poor nation. For example in the gulf, where people are treated according to the economic status of their country, Bangladeshis are treated badly.

I and other Bangladeshis are seeking to promote a more positive image of Bangladesh. What is disappointing is the often negative or very placid reaction by many to any good news I post about Bangladesh. It is as they are accustomed to thinking of Bangladesh in a low manner and find having a high opinion of Bangladesh alien or even uncomfortable. If such people hate Bangladesh so much they can try and go and live in India and Pakistan and leave us patriotic Bangladeshis to build our country, and not deride it.
Old April 28, 2007, 05:20 AM
Banned

Default CTG starts recovering stolen money.

Quote:
For the first time in the country’s history, the government has retrieved Tk 270 crore of illegal money from seven businessmen and is expecting to recover around Tk 3,000 crore more soon.
In the face of the government’s anti-corruption drive conducted by the joint forces, these businessmen have paid the amount through several pay orders in local currency, banking sources said.

Sources said this is also the first time the government exchequer has collected money recovered after being pilfered from the public coffers. The central bank will consider the recovered money as “non-tax revenue”.

Bangladesh Bank (BB) yesterday informed the finance ministry that the money has been deposited in the government account.

Meanwhile, the recovered money directly contributed to the improvement of the government’s borrowing status, bringing it down to Tk 4,300 crore on Monday from Tk 4,700 crore in the first week of this month, according to BB sources.

Of the seven businessmen who deposited the amount through pay-orders, the names of three could be learnt. They are Anis Ahmed Gorki of MGH Group–business partner of former prime minister Khaleda Zia’s son and BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Tarique Rahman, Nader Khan whose identity details were not available, and Salman Ispahani of the Ispahani Group. But, talking to The Daily Star, Salman Ispahani refuted the BB report, claiming that he did not deposit any money.

Gorki was earlier arrested and subsequently released upon his promise to cooperate in refunding the money gained through ill means.

A larger chunk of the retrieved Tk 270 crore consists of illegal money involving one single deal–the sale of 17 large tea gardens and other assets of the UK-based company to a group of eight leading local entrepreneurs for Tk 380 crore.

It is alleged that the actual price was never disclosed and the payment was made through an unofficial channel illegally.

Sources said following clues from top graft suspects, the joint forces interrogated many businessmen accused of being involved with high profile financial crimes.

Based on the primary findings, the joint forces believe the government can retrieve another Tk 3,000 crore, which was illegally transferred abroad, with a portion remaining inside the country.

Many of the corruption suspects have promised the government that they would pay it in US dollars through cheques to be deposited in the central bank.

The BB received Tk 230 crore as pay orders from the seven businessmen last week. It received another Tk 40 crore as pay orders yesterday, central bank sources said.

A source, however, said, “This recovery is almost nothing. But this proves the level of corruption in Bangladesh during the alliance government’s rule.”

When the joint forces launched the anti-corruption drive in February, the USA and the UK offered the government expertise help in investigating international financial crime, he added. But, for some unknown reasons, the government has not yet taken that help and meanwhile the anti-corruption drive has dramatically slowed down, he said.

“The recovery has been made despite the government’s weaknesses in investigating financial crimes. Imagine what we could achieve if we had the expertise,” the official said.

Maj Gen Masud Uddin Chowdhury, chief of the National Coordination Committee on combating corruption and crime, told the press after a meeting at the Anti-Corruption Commission on April 18, “The taskforce members from the army, navy and the air force do not have that kind of experience in investigations. This has specially affected the pace of the progress of investigations.” He added that a move was being made to develop the expertise of the investigators.

The sale deal of foreign tea company, which has been producing tea since the time of British rule in the subcontinent, was secretly made in January last year
http://www.bangladeshnews.com.bd/200...ney-recovered/

The CTG is continuing to build good relations with both of our immediate neighours and it has checkmated Hasina, whereby she is now in a foreign country and refuses to come back out of her own will due to her crimes being exposed, and with the farce of her threatening to sue British Airways for £100 million. (I can imagine all that money going to charity to help poor Bangladeshi people....a charity called the "Hasina Wajid Personal Fund").
Old April 28, 2007, 05:35 AM
Banned

Sorry, I didn't read this thread and posted the same news on another thread.

My apologies for any inconvenience. (If moderators could delete my duplicate thread), thanks).
Old April 28, 2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
Allrounder, please change your avatar. As a Bangladeshi (I do not know what your nationality is) I find it very offensive. Bangladeshis often suffer as a result of them being percieved as a poor people from a poor nation. For example in the gulf, where people are treated according to the economic status of their country, Bangladeshis are treated badly.

I and other Bangladeshis are seeking to promote a more positive image of Bangladesh. What is disappointing is the often negative or very placid reaction by many to any good news I post about Bangladesh. It is as they are accustomed to thinking of Bangladesh in a low manner and find having a high opinion of Bangladesh alien or even uncomfortable. If such people hate Bangladesh so much they can try and go and live in India and Pakistan and leave us patriotic Bangladeshis to build our country, and not deride it.
We can build a positive image, but we should also be critical of all that hurts us. The Biman F-28 in allrounder's avatar crash landed in 2003 or 2004 I think in Sylhet. (Currently its fuselage serves the purpose of a novelty restaurant at Wonderland, Gulshan 2-Dhaka). Since then Biman instead of grounding the F-28 fleet has instead bought 2 more of those dinosaurs given alternatives of more fuel efficient, newer, and cheaper alternatives. Biman has been a bottomless pit for the public exchequer. And any charicature or visual depiction of such faults deserve to be there to wake us up. Being positive and rosy about Bangladesh all the time will bring you down harder with any criticism that really is due. In being positive, dont ignore what genuinely is negative
Old April 29, 2007, 04:52 AM
Banned

You are right.

When someone wants to improve he has to analyse his weaknesses and work on them. However I don't think allrounder's thinking is as deep as that. He merely wishes to make fun out of Biman and he will probably say "Its' only a joke...relax".

However if you see Paki or Indian posters in forums, they are far more patriotic about their country and would never do such a thing. We Bengalis suffer in different parts of the world due to the perception of us as a poor state. If you are percieved more positively people will treat you better. Superficial, I know but that's how the world is.

As for not ignoring bad things, remember that one another thread I got into a discussion with a fellow Sylheti about some issues and posters were basically saying we should keep a united front as outsiders read our forum. In other words I am balanced, I do not think BD is a wonderland, but I am going to continue posting threads to increase people's awareness of the true potential and status of BD.

Old April 29, 2007, 09:14 AM
Cricket Guru

GoldenAsif:

Regardless of what other forum members say, sometimes it is important to realize that when you're in a meaningful discussion, that's exactly what you are here for. Forum cannot exist without meaningful discussion. If you don't argue with someone's comments, you are more than wecome to attack the MESSAGE (not the person). I don't see any reason why other members will find that unacceptable.

As a matter of fact, if you compare our forum with other Indian and Pakistani forums, you'll soon realize that our forum is full of meaningful discussion, and we try to accept our problems and try to find a way to deal with it. In most cases, that's not true in other forums. Compare the heated discussion that we had about "did we do the right thing" (I believe that's the name of the thread) with the Rediff forum that thread references. You'll soon realize the difference.

We cannot prosper as a nation if we try to only keep all our fronts clean and never deal with them at the back. If you can argue with a member and change his/her perception about something and do that small little change at an individual level, you're actually doing something good.

Finally, sorry for the long lecture
Old April 30, 2007, 08:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Maar lathi....bhang tala...
oi chorder gudam ghor theke taka poisa uddhar kor...

hazar hazar koti taka..
teram teram juddho hobe...

maar lathi....
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 1, 2007, 09:05 AM
Test Cricketer

When Khaleda and Hasina gonna return the money?
Old May 1, 2007, 09:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Golden Asif,

exactly the same topic with the same report is currently under discussion in some other thread...

Plz do have a look around before you click on the "New thread" button.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
Banned

Yes, I know. If you looked at that other thread which you mentioned you would notice that I apologized and asked moderators to delete this thread.
Old May 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Both threads are now merged!

Mod

Old May 1, 2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
GoldenAsif:

Regardless of what other forum members say, sometimes it is important to realize that when you're in a meaningful discussion, that's exactly what you are here for. Forum cannot exist without meaningful discussion. If you don't argue with someone's comments, you are more than wecome to attack the MESSAGE (not the person). I don't see any reason why other members will find that unacceptable.

As a matter of fact, if you compare our forum with other Indian and Pakistani forums, you'll soon realize that our forum is full of meaningful discussion, and we try to accept our problems and try to find a way to deal with it. In most cases, that's not true in other forums. Compare the heated discussion that we had about "did we do the right thing" (I believe that's the name of the thread) with the Rediff forum that thread references. You'll soon realize the difference.

We cannot prosper as a nation if we try to only keep all our fronts clean and never deal with them at the back. If you can argue with a member and change his/her perception about something and do that small little change at an individual level, you're actually doing something good.

Finally, sorry for the long lecture
There was no need for such a long lecture as I share the same opinions.

Thanks for merging the threads revers_swing.