facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 3, 2007, 01:58 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: ASHRAFUL-ASIF-AKHTAR
Default Aaqib offered coaching role by Bangladesh

link:http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/03/spt4.htm

KARACHI, May 2: Aaqib Javed, the National Cricket Academy (NCA) chief coach, has been invited by Bangladesh to become their bowling coach.

Aaqib, who played a vital role in Pakistan’s victory in the 1992 World Cup, was offered the post during Pakistan Academy’s recent tour to Bangladesh.

In an interview with Dawn on Wednesday, the former paceman said he needed time to ponder over the offer made by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials.

“The BCB officials came up with the offer during an informal chat while we were in Dhaka. But I plainly told them to give me at least a couple of weeks to think about it,” Aaqib said. “I don’t want to make any hasty decision due to my other commitments.”

Aaqib, who claimed 54 wickets in 22 Tests and another 182 in 163 One-day Internationals, is seen as one of the leading candidates for the post of Pakistan coach and is also backed for the job by a number of ex-national players.

But the amiable Aaqib, who has guided Pakistan to successive Under-19 World Cup titles in 2004 and 2006, remained nonchalant about such a prospect. “Why should I worry or lose my sleep over it?” he asked. “But if the offer comes my way, I’ll certainly consider taking up the challenge as a great honour.”

The PCB has already placed an advertisement in print and electronic media for the post of national coach that fell vacant following the mysterious death of Bob Woolmer during the just-concluded World Cup in the West Indies.

Dr Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chief, had reportedly backed Aaqib’s credentials during a meeting of the ad hoc committee in Lahore last month, although it was also revealed that the national side may still end up having a foreign coach in the wake of World Cup exodus which saw several high-profile names part company with their respective teams.

Meanwhile, Aaqib, who took up coaching seven years ago, termed the academy trip to Bangladesh highly satisfactory. During the three-week tour, the young Pakistanis chalked up an innings victory in a four-day fixture in Fatullah after having lost the first game by 77 runs in Mirpur.

In the triangular one-day series, Pakistan Academy defeated their Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan counterparts once and lost one game each against them. In the final, Aaqib’s charges scored a narrow five-run win over their hosts.

“Overall, it was a successful tour. Remarkably, our captain Fawad Alam lost all seven tosses. But the lads enjoyed the experience of having to play in adverse conditions,” Aaqib noted.

The coach singled out rookie left-arm paceman Najaf Shah for special praise. “Najaf was simply outstanding throughout the tour. He could be a future star. Other guys like Khurram Manzoor, Sarfraz Ahmed, Atif Maqbool and Fawad also performed brilliantly. These youngsters need to be encouraged.”

Old May 3, 2007, 01:59 AM
Club Cricketer

not a bad idea
Old May 3, 2007, 02:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

He's the head candidate to become Pakistan Next coach, It depends on if he thinks taking this job will interfere with him getting the Pakistan Job.
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old May 3, 2007, 02:04 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Aaqib offered coaching role by Bangladesh

link:http://www.dawn.com/2007/05/03/spt4.htm

KARACHI, May 2: Aaqib Javed, the National Cricket Academy (NCA) chief coach, has been invited by Bangladesh to become their bowling coach.

Aaqib, who played a vital role in Pakistan’s victory in the 1992 World Cup, was offered the post during Pakistan Academy’s recent tour to Bangladesh.

In an interview with Dawn on Wednesday, the former paceman said he needed time to ponder over the offer made by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials.

“The BCB officials came up with the offer during an informal chat while we were in Dhaka. But I plainly told them to give me at least a couple of weeks to think about it,” Aaqib said. “I don’t want to make any hasty decision due to my other commitments.”

Aaqib, who claimed 54 wickets in 22 Tests and another 182 in 163 One-day Internationals, is seen as one of the leading candidates for the post of Pakistan coach and is also backed for the job by a number of ex-national players.

But the amiable Aaqib, who has guided Pakistan to successive Under-19 World Cup titles in 2004 and 2006, remained nonchalant about such a prospect. “Why should I worry or lose my sleep over it?” he asked. “But if the offer comes my way, I’ll certainly consider taking up the challenge as a great honour.”

The PCB has already placed an advertisement in print and electronic media for the post of national coach that fell vacant following the mysterious death of Bob Woolmer during the just-concluded World Cup in the West Indies.

Dr Nasim Ashraf, the PCB chief, had reportedly backed Aaqib’s credentials during a meeting of the ad hoc committee in Lahore last month, although it was also revealed that the national side may still end up having a foreign coach in the wake of World Cup exodus which saw several high-profile names part company with their respective teams.

Meanwhile, Aaqib, who took up coaching seven years ago, termed the academy trip to Bangladesh highly satisfactory. During the three-week tour, the young Pakistanis chalked up an innings victory in a four-day fixture in Fatullah after having lost the first game by 77 runs in Mirpur.

In the triangular one-day series, Pakistan Academy defeated their Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan counterparts once and lost one game each against them. In the final, Aaqib’s charges scored a narrow five-run win over their hosts.

“Overall, it was a successful tour. Remarkably, our captain Fawad Alam lost all seven tosses. But the lads enjoyed the experience of having to play in adverse conditions,” Aaqib noted.

The coach singled out rookie left-arm paceman Najaf Shah for special praise. “Najaf was simply outstanding throughout the tour. He could be a future star. Other guys like Khurram Manzoor, Sarfraz Ahmed, Atif Maqbool and Fawad also performed brilliantly. These youngsters need to be encouraged.”
Old May 3, 2007, 02:06 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
He's the head candidate to become Pakistan Next coach, It depends on if he thinks taking this job will interfere with him getting the Pakistan Job.
that is why he wants two week time
Old May 3, 2007, 02:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: SHAHID AFRIDI

i think the problem with forgein coches is language
i dont know wether player under stand urdu or aqib understand bangali there is no to much difference b/w bangali and urdu
other wise he is an awesome choice
Old May 3, 2007, 02:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

lets see
Old May 3, 2007, 02:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

If Aaqib decides to accept our offer, he will be a good bowling coach.
Old May 3, 2007, 03:02 AM
Club Cricketer

i think aqib should not accept offer if he offer pakistani coaching
Old May 3, 2007, 03:47 AM
ODI Cricketer

guys, do u really like these guy as our bowling coach? i hope he doesnt accept the offer!!!
Old May 3, 2007, 03:58 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: saqib, mushfiq, mash

well he would be a great for our pacers no doubt.... so as a bowling coach i hope he does accept the offer! but if we get allan donald as i read he was interested in some other thread... then welll i would go with donald...... but if not aquib as a bowling coach would be great!

Last edited by Abd_Bakri; May 3, 2007 at 04:55 AM..
Old May 3, 2007, 04:27 AM
Cricket Legend

As Bowling Coach,Aaqib would be better than Donald,Look at his experience.
And I sure believe Aaqib Along with McGill are the two bowlers who are the most unlucky not to get a lot of matches under their belts.
Old May 3, 2007, 04:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Myself

Well I we should go for someone like McGrath of Australia if we can afford him and also if he accepts the offer.
Old May 3, 2007, 04:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Aaqib has been trained to a coach... he has been coaching for seven years. His experience makes him a really good candidate.
Old May 3, 2007, 05:24 AM
Test Cricketer

He's regarded as a bit of a joke figure on Pakpassion. He's ruined a couple of bowlers by remodelling their actions apparently.

Some decent bowlers have emerged under his tutelage too so I suppose there's two sides to that story.
Old May 3, 2007, 07:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

HMMM, I hope he does not take the offer. He might do a Mohsin Kamal on us, well does seem like a nice guy though. But my gut feeling is that it won't be a god fit. BCB can be silly sometimes.
Old May 3, 2007, 07:12 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arifur81
Well I we should go for someone like McGrath of Australia if we can afford him and also if he accepts the offer.
u r talking about McGrath he is may be better than aqib in bowling but look at Aqib experiance he is a two times worldcup winner coach and McGrath did'nt even done a coching course
Old May 3, 2007, 07:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

in my choice Allan donald is also not a bad idea or i like someone of waqar younis quality
he only coach pakistani reserve bowlers like rana naved and umar gul but under his coaching they emerge as a real star and umar gul suddenly become a master of reverse swing and pakistan won the test and oneday seris comfortably against WI
I think bangladeshi fast bowlars need to learn the art of revers swing else they are struggle with old ball especially in test maches
Old May 3, 2007, 07:59 AM
Club Cricketer

as a bowling coach he is not a bad choice..atleast he got some experience in coaching level
Old May 3, 2007, 08:00 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Ash, Sakib, Mash

not a bad idea at all..
Old May 3, 2007, 08:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

As a bowling coach Aaqib can get the pacer hunt qualifiers an excellent platform to build on. If he accepts the job that would be great.

Just a question, why he didn't submit an application for the Head coaching job for Pakistan and yet he is saying it would be honor for him to coach the team? Does he think the PCB needs to invite him first? If he wants that job, if he thinks he is ready for that job he should apply for it not wait for PCB to take the first move. May be they'll get someone else.
Old May 3, 2007, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Well sounds like a good idea to me. First of all, he will only be the bowling coach and not the national coach. So there is no need to compare him with Mohsin Kamal. Unlike Mohsin, he has experience as a coach and played international cricket long enough to make adjustments.
Old May 3, 2007, 08:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Sounds good. Looks like he is a very capable coach and the quality of a very good potential Head coach. Unfortunately only thing that he is missing (for some fans here) is his lack of 'dhola' or 'Kala' skin color. He has a brown skin color like us, and thats a no no for some to qualify for our national team.

I have just one concern if the bowling coach is supposed to work with the national team. In that case my concern is, why are we selecting a bowling coach before finalizing the national coach? After all this bowling coach will have to work under natioanl coach for the national team.
Old May 3, 2007, 08:17 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulrahee
i think the problem with forgein coches is language
i dont know wether player under stand urdu or aqib understand bangali there is no to much difference b/w bangali and urdu
other wise he is an awesome choice
My experience says, the Pakistanis dont understand even a single word, when I speak Bangla. And though we understand many of the Urdu words (Hindi movies did the job for me), no one will even admit that we can speak Urdu. You know the reason...1952.

For Bangladeshis a foreign coach is no problem at all. All the players speak English and I never heard someone is failing to understand Dev or Gordon or Richard becaue of the language.

Now, to the main point, I dont want anyone from the sub-continent as our coach. National team players are expected to be professional and they dont have much to learn from the coaches. Coaches can focus on correcting some small errors; but their main responsibility lies on planning and management, on making the whole team playing as a unit. Because of this fact, a good coach does need to be excellent as a player (Dev is an example). An australian or a south african is a better choice for that purpose. They usually have much more professional attitude.

Last edited by Baundule; May 3, 2007 at 08:23 AM..
Old May 3, 2007, 08:20 AM
Test Cricketer

duplicate thread and news Mods please merge.