facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 3, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cricket Sage

Default Should I buy... or should I sell?

Stock: VZ
Purchased @ 36.50
Now @ 40.45
Gives quarterly dividend of 1.00%. (yearly 4%)
This weeks Trend Upward....

Should I buy more like a greedy dog.... or
Should I sell like a chicken and get the profit.... or
Should I wait?
Old May 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

To wait or not to wait, that is the question.

Patience has its virtue.
But when the Price is Right,
Why wait on good things??

(Guess my post doesnt solve ur problem....)
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 3, 2007, 11:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Purchased @ 36.50
Now @ 40.45

Should I wait?
Would love to understand the market and other aspects of buying and selling shares or bonds whatever it is called.....Any links wud be welcome Fazal bhai....Pls bear in mind I dont have a clue what this stuff is about...All I understand is u buy it when its cheap and sell it off when the price goes up....Wud u pls explain how to do that online and start earning money? Thanks in advance Fazal bhai..
Old May 3, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Would love to understand the market and other aspects of buying and selling shares or bonds whatever it is called.....Any links wud be welcome Fazal bhai....Pls bear in mind I dont have a clue what this stuff is about...All I understand is u buy it when its cheap and sell it off when the price goes up....Wud u pls explain how to do that online and start earning money? Thanks in advance Fazal bhai..
If you are not already in stock market, I hope this thread will not encourage you to jump into prematurely. In 2002s one of my friend bought a stock based on our discussion about a particular stock that I bought. And eventually both our portfolio became bare naked as that stock nose dived. Luckily for me I bought with real money, but for him it was with options. He was forced to sell other stocks to make up the money.

So the bottom line, don't take these web threads and comments seriously and NEVER I repeat NEVER buy stocks based on suggestion from WEB only. Do your own research and do it when you feel comfortable. Also be ready for worst possible case i.e. loose most of the money that you are investing.

Still if you are intertested. Start reading financial section of newspaper, financial magazine, watch fiancial TV channels, read reputable financial websites and finally start playing in "Virtual Stock Exchange" with "Virtual Money" for atleast 6 months before jumping into real stock exchange. website-reviews.suite101.com/article.cfm/virtual_stock_exchange is just one of the example where you can play with virtual money. There are plenty of them available.

As for myself, my stock broker is TD Amritrade.

btw. I am in no way an expert in stock exchange and not a very successful one (also). There may be some others who may give you a better guidance.
Old May 3, 2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Purchased @ 36.50
Now @ 40.45

Should I wait?

4% dividend is pathetic.

Sell half now, take some profit. Put a stop-loss on the rest (sell automatically if it loses 6-7% of it's current value).

Good luck.
Old May 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
NEVER buy stocks based on suggestion from WEB
you find something wrong with this particular sentence?

I don't think it is a such a bad idea to get ideas from messageboards, some of the best stocks I followed were noted from net discussions. In fact, one of them was from our very own Pundit - and that stocked more than doubled since he mentioned it. People warn about bad info because of potential agenda but really, I don't think all of our bangla brothers combined here cant move the market even by a penny

As for the thread itself, i think dividend is the least of your concern given you purchased verizon not so long ago and you are already eager to sell The stock I think will mimic dow, so if you feel positive about overall market and telcom industry - great. I haven't been following the market for a long time now, otherwise I could have given you Orphinalasis(c)..... u would have loved it! And I would have enjoyed doing it...

anyways, too bad I have to fund my own Edu....this is great market. Where is yunus when you need em .......i need some micro credit..

BIllah bhai step up man... you sound rich!
Old May 3, 2007, 05:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
.Pls bear in mind I dont have a clue what this stuff is about...All I understand is u buy it when its cheap and sell it off when the price goes up.....
I can tell you that you understand market better than 90% of the people in it.

Here is an Orphinalysis(c) of stock market:

odds of winning at atlantic city calling either black or white; even or odd - 50/50 win/lose

odds of gaining/losing in market 70/20 either way... the other 10 is for fees.

Hope its clear now.
Old May 3, 2007, 05:41 PM

Orphy, I want micro credit funding for chasing stocks too.... What a perfect time it was when the Indexes crashed couple of months ago, and then hit an all time high a week or two back. Shucks.

Fazal, just on follow up in Google Finance.. news from the last 45 minutes:

Vonage denied retrial big in Verizon patent dispute

Say-on-pay proposal at Verizon too close to call

Lets see how VZ inches up and down with speculative developments. I'd personally hold on to VZ for today.

Last edited by ammark; May 3, 2007 at 06:21 PM..
Old May 3, 2007, 11:09 PM
Banned

My favorite hobby.

I now even lead a stock club at work. We meet once a week for 30 minutes (Is that really possible?).

Message boards are useful, but only if you can identify the expert folks who will try to mis-direct you. Then you do opposite to their advice. The trick is to also identify folks who know what they are talking about, and are being honest about it.

I am not a professional trader. So I have no time to run my own evaluations. My decisions are based on IBD, message boards, and short term technicals. The last is the best.

I think I spend 30 minutes everyday (4-5 days a week) mulling over this topic and earn ~ 25-30% of my salary. And since I don't work at the local 7-11, that allows me to afford certain perks. Free money = Happier Life.

This is an awesome thing to learn. There have been times when I have made > $500 in 10 minutes. Now that is $ / hr?

And this is also why Orpheus is my friend.
Old May 4, 2007, 01:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Thanks Fazal bhai, Orpheus and Pundit....Really do appreciate it...I will get started with "Virtual Stock Exchange"....and see how I feel about it...
Old May 4, 2007, 08:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Million dollar question as so many factors(economy,media,corporate policies, mergers etc.) affect Market change. I didn't even know that Microsoft was trying to make deal with Yahoo(!) till today!!! Though few analyst predicted YHOO good choice, but not sure how they did their analysis until today or even it was just speculations. So hard to predict, but what I know it's a risky game and market is always efficient and can fall(Feb 27) to go down and rise(few days ago) to recover.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
market is always efficient
actually it is inefficient. That's the reason you can make money off of it..

Just cked out yhoo... interesting....this was actually a takeover target for a long time... Ppl were speculating even google will buy it...

anyways, market cap is currently 38B and Msft interested with 50B....that means its gonna fly this week to catch up to that...so congrats yahoo owners
Old May 4, 2007, 08:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Fazal How much money was invested? I mean how many VZ stocks were bought? I need that to answer your original question.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:49 AM
Cricket Sage

Thank you Billah, Orpheus, ammark & Pundit. You all gave very valuable advise to think about.

Just to clear up about my VZ purchase. Actually I bought some last year (believing in their FIOS strategy) as a long term investment. I was planning to buy some more over the period, but never did. As Orpheus pointed it out, its a bluechip stock with supposedly less volatility and not your typical short term volatile stock. This 4% dividend is just a breathing room if stock doesn't goe nowhere. But suddenly the stock jumped and that started my delima: Should I chicken out and get the profit or stay in my course.

Now with MSFT and YAHOO stuff, I guess I will stay a little bit more and then when/if it crosses 42 , I will put a stop-loss @ 42 (kind was what Billah suggested). The total quantity of my stock is not huge, therefore I kind of resisting selling half. Either I will sell all, or keep the all.

I may buy back again if it goes back to 38 or less. Or I can by AT&T or Comcast if the the price is right.

To Pundit & Co,. Why don't you guys share your stock picks with us? People should use that knowledge at their own risks and judgement, so I hoipe no one will blame you guys.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Fazal How much money was invested? I mean how many VZ stocks were bought? I need that to answer your original question.
Do you really need to know? Can you give your answer based on the following assumptions:

Case-1: 20 stocks
Case-2: 200 stocks
Case-3: 2000 stocks
Case-4: make up your own

I would like to know, how the amount of my stocks afffects the action I should take for future reference.
Old May 4, 2007, 08:57 AM
Cricket Sage

GOOG. The way they are rising.... I think the market will end up 14000 this year with GOOG may reach up to $500. And ofcourse WMT.

Since it is low amount (# of stocks) I would say sell half. That way if it goes down your loss wouldn't be much.
Old May 10, 2007, 04:52 PM

To those following the stockmarket.. any thoughts on the new down turn? Pragmatic step to sell right now? The market seems like its continuing to dip some more tomorrow. It'd be a great time to buy for new entrants now perhaps, if the index is anticipated to hit 14000 over the next few months as Tigers Eye says.

Feeling a bit irritated. This week's economist was going on about how most indicators for the US were not positive. Only on Monday I was discussing with my friend on how the depreciated dollar right now still isnt good enough to offset their trade deficit. Eerie to see the trade report driving down the stocks today

Last edited by ammark; May 10, 2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old May 15, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Purchased @ 36.50
Now @ 40.45

Should I wait?
Atlast sold the stock @ 42.34. I may again buy back if it gets back to $38 or lower.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Excellent timing.
Gas price will be going up. Profits will be going down. Price will be rising. Very well done. As long as you are not greedy you will do fine at this market.
Old May 16, 2007, 06:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Apnara jara casual investor, tara individual stock a taka na rekhe no load mutual fund kinen. Dorkar hole index fund kinen. Orpheus bhai thik bolsen. You would probably have a higher probability of success if you put it all on red in vegas.

Apnara jara market shomporke jante chan, internet-e prochur resource ache. For a beginner, sources like Investopedia (http://investopedia.com/university/) are good starting points. After a cursory glance, you should have a better understanding of the market, but not to the point where you can start day trading by the end of the week. Amar shothik number ta mone nai, kintu etotuku mone ache je beshir bhag day trader ra kintu taka lose kore, labh kore na. Tai ontoto prothom prothom individual position na khule cheshta koren different fund-e taka rakhte.

Kichu websites, books, articles porar por jodi mone koren apnara market shomporke kichu kichu bujhte parchen, tahole jekono ekta online market sim. join koren. Do a quick google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search) and you will find many, many sims. Join any of the free sims. Trade in a virtual account for a few days and you will get a better idea about the market.

I can write essays on this, but I don't want to bore anyone. So, if anyone has questions, please feel free to ask. Jodi bhul bhal kore thaki, please feel free to correct me.
Old May 16, 2007, 06:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Fazal bhai, apnar position ta ek bochor er upore khola chilo? Tahole er tax implication apnar pokkhe. Oneke ekta stock kine khub joldi beche dite chai, just to lock in the profits. They forget that they have to pay much higher taxes in that case.

Apnar Verizon er stock ta shomporke beshi bolte parbo na. Ami telecom beshi follow kortesi na. Market er ekhon trend hoitese mergers and acquisitions. Ke kake kinbe, tar upore ekhon market utha nama kortese onek. On top of that, earnings season shesh hoitese, so oikhane o onek movement chilo. If anyone was looking for a quick buck in telecom, PCS would have been it. Jara California ba Florida te thaken, apnara MetroPCS er ad dekhsen, I'm sure. They have those annoying "Hello hello hello" ads. They went public and after the IPO, the stock price kept going up and up. Already 25% uthse. Kalke ekdin-e almost 17% return dise earnings announce korar pore. I don't know if I feel too comfortable about the stock because of the high PE, something like almost 200.

Telecom chara arekta sector niye ami comfortable feel kori na: pharma/biotech. Keo ki Dendreon follow korsen? Oder prostrate cancer drug provenge ekhono approve hoi nai. Oita approve hobe naki hobe na, tar upore speculation er karone stock price tarzan er moto lafalafi korse. March chilo 4 dollar, April er shuru te hoise 24 dollar, ekhon neme ashche 5 dollar. Now, you could have made money every step of the way; most people didn't.

Tai individual stock-e gamble na kore kichu fund kinen. Different types er fund ache: income fund (like billah bhai said, he was not happy with 4% dividends; he can buy some utility fund), index funds, bond funds, foreign funds (like BRIC funds for brazil, russia, india and china) etc. You can invest in those through your Roth IRA, 401k etc. Eibhabe korle apnader taka bank-e boshe boshe value lose korbe na, ebong actively invest korar jei matha betha, sheitar o shomoshsha nai.
Old May 16, 2007, 06:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Do you really need to know? Can you give your answer based on the following assumptions:

Case-1: 20 stocks
Case-2: 200 stocks
Case-3: 2000 stocks
Case-4: make up your own

I would like to know, how the amount of my stocks afffects the action I should take for future reference.
Actually, in a way, it does make a difference. Let's say you have 20 shares. After taxes, commission etc, how much would you be left with? You are better off holding on to a good stock and let that stock grow. I don't know if VZ falls into that category; I have to do some research before I can say if it is or if it isn't.

Now let's say you own 2000 shares of VZ. Even after taxes and commission, the profits you have locked in are more than just chump change. A few thousand dollars could make you smile for more than a brief second. In that case, go ahead and sell the stock.

Now let's say your portfolio is worth a few million dollars. Would you rather lock in miniscule returns like that (not even a few tenths of a percentage point), or would you rather have a few positions that you hold for a significantly long period of time?
Old May 16, 2007, 06:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
To those following the stockmarket.. any thoughts on the new down turn? Pragmatic step to sell right now? The market seems like its continuing to dip some more tomorrow. It'd be a great time to buy for new entrants now perhaps, if the index is anticipated to hit 14000 over the next few months as Tigers Eye says.

Feeling a bit irritated. This week's economist was going on about how most indicators for the US were not positive. Only on Monday I was discussing with my friend on how the depreciated dollar right now still isnt good enough to offset their trade deficit. Eerie to see the trade report driving down the stocks today
Sell your positions and go to the beach? I wish I could (go to the beach, I mean; not sell). There is always money to be made, in the bull market and the bear market.

If you think the market is going to go up and you think the DOW is going to hit 14000, buy an index fund. If you want to invest in individual companies, then do so in solid companies, the ones with solid fundamentals. A well-managed, well-run company should generally do well in good times and should weather the storm in bad times.
Old May 16, 2007, 07:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
To Pundit & Co,. Why don't you guys share your stock picks with us? People should use that knowledge at their own risks and judgement, so I hoipe no one will blame you guys.
Amar short-term holding er moddhe bhalo return dise Chipotle (CMG) ar Goodyear (GT). Goodyear ke replace korsi Cooper Tire (CTB) diye. Chipotle chere disi kintu er replacement kichu paitesi na eki industry te. Jodi In n Out burger er IPO hoi, taile kinbo, kintu oita mone hoi na near future-e hobe. Fatafati burger.

Metal er jonne ekhon bhalo shomoi. Freeport McMoran (FCX) amar jonne bhaloi kaj kortese. Summer eshe gese; tai tel er dike nojor rakhtesi. Er moddhe amar pochondo hoitese Exxon Mobil (XOM). Financials o bhaloi kortese. Citi (C) er dividend bhalo amar jonne, tai C rakhsi, plus Chucky Prince onek cost cut kortese.

Amar ba BC er karo kotha shuine keo please stock kinen na. Nijer research koren. Bhalo bhabe dekhen, shunen, bujhen, tar pore nijer best judgment use kore taka invest koren. Ami shudhu amar portfolio er kotha boltesi. Apnara o apnader ta share koren.
Old July 26, 2007, 01:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Almost all stocks nose dived big time !!!!

Ham Vi Mor Chuka Hai.... how about you?