facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Okay, does more profit for a business mean its shares will go up? Coz someone was saying it's based on "demand and supply" theory. If it is, then RIM has the potential to go up much higher.

Having said that, I didn't know Fazal mamoo is a lobhi.
Old October 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
So goru bhai, what's your net income based on these increases? If you can convince me, I may consider this as a part time business for myself!
Well, I'm a small investor (I don't spend more than $1.5k on any one stock, usually under $1k... I'm big on diversification)... my total current risk investment (stocks + mutual funds) is $5970.98 and its current value is $6251.72 ... that's a nice gain for a period of about 2 months.

I really really needed to buy NED this morning... that is really taking off now! Unfortunately none of my brokerages have funds in place at this time... grrrrrrr!
Old October 23, 2007, 02:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi

deleted

Last edited by Nocturnal; October 24, 2007 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: off topic
Old October 23, 2007, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

This is why RIMM is rocketing right now:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...3-20439597.htm

Quote:
Alcatel-Lucent & Research In Motion to issue BlackBerry smartphones in China
October 23, 2007: 02:45 PM EST

BOSTON, Oct. 23, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- Alcatel-Lucent (NYSE:ALU) said Tuesday that it signed an agreement with Research In Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) to distribute BlackBerry smartphones in China.

The companies said the first smartphone offered to Chinese business customers will be the 8700 model, which they expect shipment to begin by the end of 2007. Alcatel-Lucent achieved certification of the 8700 model BlackBerry through its partnership with Chinese mobile device maker TCL Communications.

The financial terms of the agreement were undisclosed.

Shares of the Paris-based Alcatel-Lucent were up 2.5% at $9.35, while Canada-based Research In Motion was up 6.5% at $120.74.

Michael Lauenger
ml/tk1
Copyright Thomson Financial News Limited 2007. All rights reserved.

The copying, republication or redistribution of Thomson Financial News Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Financial News.
Old October 29, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

I bought some YHOO and VMW today...

YHOO cause they'll make sh*tloads of money from Alibaba
VMW cause they'll generate tons of revenue in 2008
Old October 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Goru bhai, khushir chote nishchoi apni ekhon hamba hamba kortesen?
Old October 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Goru bhai, khushir chote nishchoi apni ekhon hamba hamba kortesen?
Nah, YHOO fell steep after I bought it, becoming a big negative on my account (overall still quite positive thanks to other stocks)...

But VMW is rising nicely today... I am in it for the long haul though...
Old October 31, 2007, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

AAPL reached new 52-week high today! Right now I'm on 11.11% gain from holding AAPL for 2 weeks.

I just hope YHOO can really gain from Alibaba... right now it's still a big negative on my portfolio.
Old November 6, 2007, 06:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

NED is killing my portfolio! I was in @ 16.21...now going down....
Old November 7, 2007, 06:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmacker
what is NED? Is that Blackboard (BBBB) of china? Blackboard is actually a good company. Don't think jack about NED...

This thread is bullshit... we should see a healthy debate on the doom of USD and how 1 taka will soon be 70 USD. A debate on the impact of rising oil prices on overall market and the future of energy...where is shahriyar.. we should be talking about fed's decision, on coming election (Go ROn paul) and its impact on the market... we should talk about new and exciting technologies....that will change the world... we should be talking about the next apple (well apple is technically the next apple), the next Hans, the next microsoft, and the next walmart. We should scrutinize every moves Google makes. WHat are their next moves.. will they provide wireless on the moon? How will they monetize it...

Instead you guys are talking about your loss on some obscure companies no one knows about. Or some blue chips that are too big to move their a$$ anywhere... or which gives you better dividends (hhaha). THe average age on this thread sound like 62.5 y. And I am not even gonna touch those $10 survery filling jobs some of you are seeking...

Last edited by Orpheus; November 7, 2007 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Edited nonsense!
Old November 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmacker
I was in at 17.50 and I bought more at 16.20 ... it hit a new low of 13.00 today, i.e. now it's valued less than original estimates... WTF is going on with this stock? It goes down EVERY DAMN DAY with NO NEWS WHATSOEVER. Losing hundreds of dollars on this one right now...

Earnings report is on the 19th, BTW... it better be good!
Old November 7, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cricket Legend

On top of that, VMW is tanking hard right now...
Old November 7, 2007, 10:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Only thing covering my *** right now is the beautiful RIMM... I got in at 118 but now it's 136
Old November 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi

from internet:
"Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for Tk 10.

The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at Tk 10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at Tk 20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again.

Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to Tk 25 and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch it!

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at Tk 50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at Tk 35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell it to him for Tk 50."

The villagers squeezed up with all their savings and bought all the monkeys.

Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!! !

Welcome to the "Stock" Market!!!!! "
Old November 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't even want to look anymore... my losses are in the thousands now
Old November 8, 2007, 10:44 AM
Cricket Guru

I just sold some US dollars yesterday at a loss of $400+. I thought many times of converting them to Canadian, but didn't do it. Ultimately, now that I really needed the cash, I had to convert it. Pretty sad.

That's life.
Old November 8, 2007, 10:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
from internet:
"Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for Tk 10.

The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at Tk 10 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at Tk 20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again.

Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to Tk 25 and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch it!

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at Tk 50! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at Tk 35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell it to him for Tk 50."

The villagers squeezed up with all their savings and bought all the monkeys.

Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!! !

Welcome to the "Stock" Market!!!!! "
Old November 8, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Good dig Nocturnal bhai...
Old November 8, 2007, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Last edited by Bancan; November 8, 2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Wrong Thread
Old November 9, 2007, 12:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by goru
Hey goru, I am sorry man. But think of it this way it's only money. Something that is replaceable - so relax. There are plenty of time left to make more.

What is important here is to learn. For example, all of you ignored over all market situation and focused way to much on individual stocks. I am usually very optimistic but even I can't help but be very afraid about our current economic situation. Try to come up with one positive thing about our economy. Exactly, there is none. Crude oil is approaching $100, Sub-prime mortgage loan borrowers are having difficulty paying back their loans, housing market is going down, value of dollar is sinking, our national budget is at some trillion dollars deficit, we have managed to go over our limit... Now put everything into an overly simplified picture:

Higher energy price ---> more money you spend on your energy usage, not only you but big companies also spend more money on their energy usage, so their profit goes down and you spend less on buying their product, so their earnings also go down. They cut cost by laying off workers.

Value of dollar sinking ---> you are earning 30% less than you were earning two years ago, so you have less money, so again you spend less or your purchasing power is limited. So you don't buy that iphone, company lose money - they lay of people

Borrowers can't pay back loans ---> they lose their home, sub-prime lenders lose money because they are not getting back the money they gave out, so, jobs are lost.

National debt ---> Every single American owe about $8000 usd to other countries. So all of us are in a pile of stinky goo

And then our GENIUS bush decides to PRINT money his way out of debt... you believe that?

With so many jobs lost, people have no money, they don't spend, whole economy is shut down.. and we are fighting over a piece of bread. - Depression! And even if someone does have some money, it is just paper because we printed too damn much of it!! -

and then WWIII comes to rescue.....

Now that I gave you an overly simplified picture to scare the $hit out of you- the things that all of us here SHOULD talk about in a stock market thread...here is what you should have done:

Cut your losses - you should have put an automatic sell on your stock should the value went down certain percent, let's say 7% from the price you purchased it. That way you preserve your principal and then you can invest elsewhere... This is called discipline. Now sure, some stock will triple, after you just sell it to cover your 5% loss (like it happened to me), but you will also have your money for another potential bagger....or possibly the same stock at another price because you don't want all that time spent researching that stock, wasted.

blah blah stops..

But seriously dude, I am sorry for your losses.. I know exactly how it feels but I can guarantee you, you will get over it and be a better investor and you WILL make money. And after 25 years, you will laugh at your son, when he cries about his losses on walmart.... you know everyone's first stock is alway walmart

Last edited by Orpheus; November 9, 2007 at 12:26 AM..
Old November 9, 2007, 01:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Is the massacre over yet?
Old November 9, 2007, 04:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

then don't look at them...until you sold them at loss you did not lose anything yet! you can do lot of things to get over this loss or reduce loss as Orphy pointed out nicely. Or you can just keep it there for long, sure it will come back up.

Like I minimized my loss (hypothetical, since I have not sold anything yet) by buying more at less. Now my avg NED price is @ 13.91 (below IPO price) which I think is beatable unless Deustch bank (underwriter of this stock) cooked up. I am gonna go long now!

Man I thought I would make some quick money before the BD trip at end of this month!!

Quote:
Old November 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
Cricket Legend

I know most of what Orphy is talking about, but I don't really believe in using Stop Loss (really bad things can happen)... I'm more in these stocks for long than short.

And yes, I have been buying some more of the same stocks when they get lower, to average it out... but to be absolutely realistic, VMW and NED are good companies that are sure to bounce back up in the future (provided overall market remains stable... i.e. we don't go into what orphy describes)... and since I haven't sold anything off yet (other than YHOO, which I lost $220 on), I haven't actually "lost" anything yet.

I have also been holding WCG this week... check it out:

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-to-shine.aspx

It's really a bit of a gamble though, so didn't put much into it.
Old November 10, 2007, 02:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
other than YHOO, which I lost $220 on)
LOL, dude! I wasted all that time of mine for your 200 bucks loss, and here I thought you were broke? I think both mine and probably your TIME cost way more than that. Now that you sold yahoo, I think I can give my opinion on it.

I think yahoo is a good stock for trading, not a sound investment. You can hold yahoo only in the hope that someone like Google buy it out. Even though yahoo has the highest ranked internet traffic, it means very little if they can not monetize it. Google ads, on the other hand is used by every single website in the world. So they really are in the sweet spot.

As Jim Cramer says, always buy best of the breed. For example, if I wanna buy a retail stock in Christmas season and I know electronics items will make up majority of the numbers, I would always prefer Best Buy over Circuit City - not because I know so much about their balance sheets but because as a consumer, I would go to Best Buy before circuit city (Given I am a dumb consumer, in reality I would actually buy it online). Even though brick and mortar stores are suffering due to the increasing number of internet purchases, BBY is not as badly affected as CC. Circuit city is just dead and if anyone ever dealt with that store would have known it coming.

Same thing with Yahoo and Google, if you have a successful website, would you first put google ad or yahoo ad? What ads are being used by majority of the websites you visit. What does Banglacricket use? BINGO!!

We have a bias toward yahoo because we use it so much (yahoo finance for instance) but in reality, it will not double or triple anytime soon. Those stupid "new and improved" search code names panaroma or whatever I forgot is all bullshit. You think Google is just sitting on all that money and not IMPROVING their search engine?

But yhoo technically has a nice trading range...Look at the charts and run RSI, Stochastic indicators...

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=yhoo

Below ~23 doesn't look so bad if the over all market holds up and no major bad news show up on the company (like China blocked them) or bad news on the sector. Also when purchasing based solely on technical analysis, I would pay very close attention to the volume and see if all the selling dried up or not.

I would love to have this thread DISCUSS stocks and market and give reasons on your purchase of stocks.. You don't have to be right but it's interesting to read....and not go like:

Hey WMT - all the way! I know it cuz it's walmart..
Old November 10, 2007, 02:33 AM
Cricket Sage

The stock market has always been the dark side of the moon for me. Here is a more basic question for you. I want to buy some stocks. Online which would be the best service provider and what should be my initial investment to make some profit say 6 months from now.