facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 27, 2007, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Warner
If you are going to read a biography of Muhammad (pease be upon him) you might as well read the most authentic and earliest. That was by Ibn Issaq and called 'sirat' rasul allah'. There is a very good translation of it available by guillaume. The direct amazon link is -
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Muhammad-.../dp/019636034X

It would be fair to say that almost all other biographies appear to be based on this very first biography of the prophet..
Hmm...is P Diddy someone else in disguise?
Old June 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Chronicles of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Marquez
Old June 27, 2007, 11:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Just read the autobiography of Malcolm X. I knew next to nothing about him before I read it. I was a bit surprised at how simplistic his thinking was.
Old June 29, 2007, 04:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Warner
I am re-reading James Joyce's Dubliners after 40 years!
I read that when I was at the university... I still remember the poignant "The deads".
I like Joyce but I never read the Ulysses... though I studied about it.
Old June 30, 2007, 04:07 PM
Club Cricketer

"The game" by Neil Strauss.. if you know what i am talking about, high five
Old July 1, 2007, 02:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Reading this article online:

How C Programming Works
Old July 1, 2007, 03:18 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old July 1, 2007, 09:01 PM
Cricket Sage

User's Manual for a household equipment -
Oracle July/August 2007 Newsletter -
Old August 1, 2007, 11:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
this thread is about books...
this thread is not directly about what you are reading at the moment. it was about finding surprises whilst looking for something else in a library.
Old August 1, 2007, 05:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up Haruki Murakami

After Dark, Haruki Murakami's latest. If you haven't read him start with the following classic: -

A few Wikipedia excerpts, link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami

Quote:
Murakami was born in Kyoto in 1949 but spent most of his youth in Kobe. His father was the son of a Buddhist priest; his mother was the daughter of an Osaka merchant. Both taught Japanese literature.

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading everything from the works of American writers such as Kurt Vonnegut and Richard Brautigan, and he is often distinguished from other Japanese writers for his Western influences. Japanese literature often puts emphasis on beautiful language, which can result in stiff, restricted composition, while Murakami's style is relatively free and fluid.

Murakami studied theater arts at Waseda University in Tokyo, where he met his wife, Yoko. His first job was in a record store (which is where one of his main characters, Toru Watanabe from Norwegian Wood, works). Shortly before finishing his studies, Murakami opened the jazz bar "Peter Cat" in Kokubunji, Tokyo[1], which he ran from 1974 until 1982. Many of his novels have musical themes and titles referring to a particular song, including Dance, Dance, Dance (from The Beach Boys), Norwegian Wood (after the Beatles' song) and South of the Border, West of the Sun (the first part being the title of a song by Nat King Cole).
Quote:
In 1994/1995 he published The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. This novel fuses his realistic and fantastic tendencies, and contains elements of physical violence. It is also more socially conscious than his previous work, dealing in part with the difficult topic of war crimes in Manchuria (Manchukuo). The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is frequently cited by critics as Murakami's best work[citation needed]. It won him the Yomiuri Prize, awarded to him by one of his harshest former critics, Kenzaburo Oe, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1994.

The processing of collective trauma soon took a central position in Murakami's writing, which had until then been more personal in nature. While he was finishing The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Japan was shaken by the Kobe earthquake and the Aum Shinrikyo gas attack, in the aftermath of which he returned to Japan. He came to terms with these events with his first work of non-fiction, Underground, and the short story collection after the quake. Underground consists largely of interviews of victims of the sarin gas attacks in the Tokyo subway system. While perpetrators and events behind the attack are not the focus of the book, the picture of Japanese society that Murakami paints is shocking.

English translations of many of his short stories written between 1983 and 1990 have been collected in The Elephant Vanishes. He has also translated many of the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, Raymond Carver, Truman Capote, John Irving, and Paul Theroux, among others, into Japanese.

In 2006, Murakami became the sixth recipient of the Franz Kafka Prize from the Czech Republic for his novel Umibe no Kafka (Kafka on the Shore). Murakami told reporters, "In a way, reading Franz Kafka's works served as a starting point for me as a novelist." The two recipients of the Kafka prize before Murakami in 2004 and 2005 also won the Nobel Prize for Literature. Murakami, too, has been touted as a possible nominee for the prize.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 2, 2007, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Right now I am reading harry potter and the order of the pheonix.
Old August 2, 2007, 06:23 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Mushi &Tamim

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
Old February 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Recently read the Viper's Tangle by Francois Mauriac.

Currently reading:

Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (finally) by J.K. Rowling
The Audacity of Hope by Barack H. Obama

Three books from three different parts of the spectrum - having a hectic time juggling them around in the midst of my packed schedule. Fun fun fun.
Old February 20, 2008, 05:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

I am reading ' The rise and fall of third reich' by William L. Shirer

at the end. a very detail one.
Old February 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

metaphysics for lifee...by Kant..for my philosopy class..aita poira matha aula hoia gechee..beta ki koii kichu bujhi naa..
Old February 20, 2008, 07:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

apnago posts...
Old February 20, 2008, 08:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuaib
Well currently I am reading the 'Catcher in the Rye'. Very interesting book this is, although gets kind of boring because it just gets too personal and emotional with the main character.
this is one of my fav book..i read it bak in 10th gradee...
Old February 21, 2008, 01:55 AM
Cricket Legend

This thread.

Nah, all jokes aside, currently reading Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot and Franz Kafka's The Trial.
Old February 21, 2008, 04:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

I'm not really a book fan...
but for a school assignment i am reading " A bridge to wise man's cove by JAmes Molony"
its a pretty good book and its sad. :|
Old February 21, 2008, 05:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by antora93
but for a school assignment i am reading " A bridge to wise man's cove by JAmes Molony"
Dear bhagni,

Get my dulabhai to get you Eoin Colfer's The Wish List. You'll love it, trust me ...

Quote:

Plot introduction

Meg Finn is a teenager whose life is in a complete mess. Her mother is dead and her only family is an abusive stepfather who does nothing but watch TV all day. She has no friends and is forced to do a job with a dim-witted criminal, Belch Brennan because he gave her a video camera. When the two are caught robbing an old man, Lowrie McCall, Belch's dog, Raptor, severely injures McCall. Meg goes out for help, chased by Belch and Raptor, but makes a wrong turn. Belch, threatening to shoot Meg, but instead, accidentally shoots a gas tank, killing them and sending them off to the "tunnel" that splits in two at the end. One end goes up and the other goes down. Belch, genetically merged with his pet, a pit bull, goes straight to hell. Because Meg performed one good deed right before she died, trying to help Lowrie McCall, her good and bad deeds were perfectly balanced. With both Heaven and Hell fighting over her soul, she is sent back to atone to tip the balance in favor of either heaven or hell (she hopes heaven) by helping the old man she was robbing before her death. But with four seemingly impossible wishes to fulfill, a time limit, and Belch doing everything he can to ensure Meg's soul ends up in hell, can Meg make it in time to make it to heaven?

Plot summary

In order to gain entrance into heaven, Meg must help old Lowrie McCall. Neither of the dysfunctional pair are overly pleased about this, but they grudgingly accept that they are paired with each other to complete the list of wishes that Lowrie has made and eventually begin to bond.

Down below, Belch is turned into a soul-catching machine. Beelzebub rings St Peter, and upon finding that Meg's soul has not appeared in Heaven yet, sends Belch to recapture Meg and "make her bad" (keep her from doing any good deeds that would get her back into heaven). Although St Peter and Beelzebub are at opposite ends of the spiritual spectrum, they have developed a kind of rapport to while away eternity (in doing this they have stopped several presidential assassinations and a world war). Beelzebub says he won't intervene and asks if St Peter will. Although St Peter refuses and terminates the call, he is suspicious that this is not the end of it. He's right.

LINK
Old February 21, 2008, 05:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Recently, i just finished reading Dan Brown's "Deception Point".

Was a little dissapointed to be honest. May be my expectation was really high of him.

Anyways, looking forward to read some of his other books.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 23, 2008, 01:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

I have recently finished reading:
Camp X by Eric Walters,
Airborn & Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel and
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Cell by Stephen King.

I am planning to read:
Camp 30 and Camp X, Fool's Gold and Hydrofoil Mystery by Eric Walters, and some more books by S.E. Hinton and Eric Walters.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Dear bhagni,

Get my dulabhai to get you Eoin Colfer's The Wish List. You'll love it, trust me ...
its sounds like a good book!
i'll definately tell abbu to get it for me
Old February 25, 2008, 08:08 AM
Forever Bangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by antora93
I did that at school! In year 9 I think. It is a good book... especially for teens. Good lesson that looks don't mean jack... I think that's what it was about.

I've gone fairly mainstream for this crowd and am reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez. Seemed like the most natural one of his works to start off with. Wish I had more time to read for pleasure. Not that studying isn't pleasure...
Old February 26, 2008, 01:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I did that at school! In year 9 I think. It is a good book... especially for teens. Good lesson that looks don't mean jack... I think that's what it was about.

I've gone fairly mainstream for this crowd and am reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez. Seemed like the most natural one of his works to start off with. Wish I had more time to read for pleasure. Not that studying isn't pleasure...
Great read, Mona. Marquez's world magical realism is absolutely enchanting. If you loved reading that, may I suggest Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Another fabulous read! It's a tad bit strange how the rather nonchalant storytelling and the lack of dramatic annunciations in CODF keep you glued to the book...but then again, that's the wonder of Marquez.