facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 26, 2008, 05:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by antora93
its sounds like a good book!
i'll definately tell abbu to get it for me
Did you get it yet? Click HERE for a preview of his other, Artmis Fowl books. Awsome stuff, blows Harry Potter out of his silly broomstick! I've just gotten a hold of Airman, his newest.

Quote:

Plot

The book begins with the World Fair, to which Declan Broekhart and his wife are attending. They are there mainly to see a new hot air balloon, which they are to take a ride in. Along the way, they are shot at by soldiers in planes. During the forced landing, Conor Broekhart is born, flying over Paris.

In the 1890s Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast, which are ruled by King Nicholas. Nicholas is a progressive leader who is helping the islands adapt to the industrialized world. Conor spends his days with his tutor, Victor Vigny, studying the study the science of flight and exploring the castle with the king's daughter, Princess Isabella. In secret, the head of the island's guards, Marshall Bonvilain, conspires to overthrow Nicholas and seize control of the Saltees. His goal is to turn the islands into a market for the diamonds mined by inmates on the prison island, Little Saltee. Despite Conor's attempt to intervene, Nicholas and Victor are killed by Marshall Bonvilain. Marshall Bonvilain takes control of the islands and tells his subjects that Victor conspired to kill King Nicholas and Conor died in an attempt to save the king. Conor is thrown into jail on Little Saltee, under the alias Conor Finn. Conor's cellmate, Linus Wynter, an American musician and spy, helps Conor adapt to prison life. Linus mysteriously disappears, but, before long, Conor adopts the persona of Conor Finn and begins to make deals with a guard named Arthur Billtoe and gangsters called the Battering Rams. Two years pass and Conor is 16. He has persuaded Billtoe to plant gardens for inmates to work in. Conor and the Otto Malarkey, a battering Ram, smuggle seven bags of diamonds and hide them in the gardens. Meanwhile, Billtoe helps Conor purchase bed sheets and other materials using the smuggled diamonds. Unbeknownst to Billtoe, Conor is using these materials to plan a grand escape during the coronation of Isabella, now old enough to become Queen of the Saltees. The coronation and the arrival of Queen Victoria are approaching and Conor constructs a parachute. He persuades Billtoe to suggest that during the coronation, several hot air balloons are filled with fireworks and released from Little Saltee so that the famous Saltee sharpshooters can shoot the balloons for a grand fireworks display. During the coronation ceremony, Conor escapes from his cell and plants himself in one of the fireworks balloons. When his balloon is shot down, Conor activates his parachute and crash-lands in Queen Victoria's yacht.

Conor, a stowaway on Queen Victoria's private yacht, makes it safely to Kilmore, the Irish village overlooking the Saltees. There he encounters Linus Wynter. The pair finds a tower full of aviation equipment that was once Victor Vigny's laboratory. Conor constructs a hang-glider and adopts the persona of the Airman, a flying French swordsman. By night, Conor makes flights to Little Saltee, terrorizing the guards and un-digging his bags of smuggled diamonds. Conor's goal is to use the diamonds to start a new life in the United States of America. Conor's plans are interrupted when Bonvilain finds Conor's tower and harms Linus. Linus learns that Bonvilain intends to overthrow the monarchy again by poisoning Isabella and her friends. Conor hears this information and decided he must save his father, mother, baby brother, and Queen Isabella. Conor constructs a one-man, gas-propelled aeroplane and flies to Bonvilain's tower. There, he is reunited with Isabella and is family. Conor, Isabella, and Conor's father, Declan, engage Bonvilain and his guards in a swordfight. The Broekharts and Isabella are victorious. Bonvilain is stabbed and thrown into the water.

One month later, Queen Isabella is seeking reform. She has reduced taxes and intends to free the prisoners and hand Little Saltee over to a professional mining firm. Conor is a prestigious scientist in Britain and appears to be romantic with Isabella. In Kilmore, Linus has finished his opera, The Soldier's Return, and maintains the laboratory with the help of neighborhood children. Linus predicts that he and Conor will soon be famous for they do not think like other men; they are visionaries.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; February 26, 2008 at 05:49 AM..
Old February 26, 2008, 05:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
I did that at school! In year 9 I think. It is a good book... especially for teens. Good lesson that looks don't mean jack... I think that's what it was about.

I've gone fairly mainstream for this crowd and am reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez. Seemed like the most natural one of his works to start off with. Wish I had more time to read for pleasure. Not that studying isn't pleasure...
Huge GGM fan here! I dare say his writing added value to my life. I love all of his works but technically, I find Autumn of the Patriarch to be his finest work and the apex of written language. Love in the Time of Cholera is one of my favorite re-reads. I could never get tired of his magical and truly astounding ability to describe life.

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old April 20, 2008, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Just start reading "The separation of East Pakistan" by Hasan Zaheer. He was a CSP officer posted at Secretariat in Dhaka from May 1971. He was DC of Jessore in 1962. I purchased the book by looking at dedication page which read " To former East Pakistan where My wife, My kids and I spend the happiest time of life". Mr Zaheer retired as cabinet secretary of Pakistan. it is quite interesting one , of the chapters I read

Last edited by thebest; April 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM..
Old April 20, 2008, 11:35 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash and Sakib

i am reading the book of the rainbow fish its so interesting i took it from my school library its about a fish who is rainbow coloured and saves his another friend of black striped from a shark!!!, i just love that book.
Old April 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

BD Cricket for Dummies

By Dr. Zunaid
Old April 20, 2008, 03:26 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Mastering Regular Expressions
Old April 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Mastering Regular Expressions
This is an incredible book. This is the only book that explains regular expression in a clear and exhaustive manner.Your life will change.

Old April 20, 2008, 04:04 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Indeed. I wish there were similarly well written books for every complex technical subject.
Old April 20, 2008, 04:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi

ই-বুক- "দিয়াশলাই": সচলায়তন অণুগল্প সংকলন (বৈশাখ ১৪১৫)
........ফাটাফাটি হইছে সংকলনটা.এখানে পাবেন
Old April 20, 2008, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Million Little Pieces
Old April 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Just finioshed reading "Where Soldiers Lie." It's a pretty good book, based on the war between the Indians and British and also a 16 year old guy's life there after his parents die. I would recommend this book if you are interested in history and stuff like that.

Anyone else read this book?
Old April 20, 2008, 11:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Currently reading two books:

1. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner: A difficult, yet magnificent read. Someone once asked Faulkner what suggestion he has for a reader who has read the book 3 times and is still in the dark about what is happening. Faulkner replied, "Read it a fourth time."

2. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky: As I am progressing through this novel, I can't help but draw connections between Kafka and Dostoyevsky. They are very similar ... yet stylistically very different. Great read so far.
Old April 23, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

a couple of good children's books are:

The Lottery Rose and

Bridge to Terabithia
Old April 23, 2008, 03:24 PM
Cricket Legend

I am reading "The Bully Boys" by Eric Walters
Old April 23, 2008, 04:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

That book is pretty good Dhrubo. It will help you understand the Canadian history a lot better when you take it. What grade are you in now? You will most probably learn a lot more about it when you get into grade 7/8.
Old April 24, 2008, 03:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
That book is pretty good Dhrubo. It will help you understand the Canadian history a lot better when you take it. What grade are you in now? You will most probably learn a lot more about it when you get into grade 7/8.
Yeah our school librarian gave it to me.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:11 PM
Club Cricketer

now i am reading the book jaguar's jewel.
Old May 3, 2008, 09:23 PM
Club Cricketer

now i am reading the book spiderwick chronicles.
Old May 4, 2008, 03:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Got halfway through Gandhi's 1927 autobiography before getting thoroughly bored and putting it down. The English translation is quite badly written.

Now I've started Martin Ling's biography of the Prophet. It's interesting reading so far, though I'm not a religious person. It would be a better read if he'd written it in more straightforward prose instead of trying to reproduce the canonical style.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

trying to skim thru some Kant...n J.S. Mill reading before final...next stop...sparknotes.com...
Old May 6, 2008, 11:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Mannn...I miss the choti books in Dhaka
Old May 6, 2008, 11:30 AM
Club Cricketer

The Israel Lobby By John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt

Old May 6, 2008, 12:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Learning Ra'f, Nasb, Jarr. Light vs Heavy, Masculine vs Feminine, Singular, Two and Plural. Grammar is hard.
Old May 6, 2008, 03:36 PM
Club Cricketer

now i am reading the book called Alice's in wonderland.
Old June 29, 2008, 10:09 AM
Club Cricketer

now i am reading a book called sister spirit