facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 16, 2007, 12:13 PM
First Class Cricketer

Arrow Whatmore to take legal action against BCB

Whatmore takes offence to BCB comments
Times Now

NEW DELHI, May 16: Two days after TIMES NOW reported strained relations between out going Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore and Bangladesh Cricket Board, Whatmore has decided to take legal action against BCB for questioning his coaching skills.

BCB CEO, Mahmudur Rahman had told TIMES NOW that, "Whatmore being an Australian approaches things the Australian way, whereas the players in the sub-continent are an emotional lot. Dav is not used to giving explanations."

Rahman's comments - in essence put a question mark over the man-management skills of Whatmore, who is a likely candidate to replace Greg Chappell in Team India.

After TIMES NOW aired the story where BCB had expressed their reservations about his coaching skills, sources close to the 53-year-old Australian coach revealed that the comments had not gone down too well with Whatmore.

Whatmore has taken serious offence to the comments and is planning to charge the BCB for bringing his name to disrepute.

Sources have also revealed to TIMES NOW that the Bangaldeshi players quickly came to the support of their coach and rallied behind him. In fact, TIMES NOW has learnt that Skipper Habibul Bashar is to clear the air regarding Whatmore with Indian captain Rahul Dravid.

The burly Australian who has been coaching Bangladesh for the past four years has led them from being a poor side to world beaters. His famous wins with Bangladesh have been against India in 2004, Australia in 2005 and their famous run in the just concluded World Cup which has easily been the highlight of his illustrious coaching career.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

words smell better once they come out of the mouth as they're supposed to... as long as you remember to brush...
Old May 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

bad news....not because Dev is going for legal action....but because all this happening in the eve of 1st test...which can hamper players focus on the game.....

Can be a strategy of indian media also just to disrupt BD's focus from cricket.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
Test Cricketer

why just we can't farewell a great coach with a massive ceremony?
If whatmore doesn't understand the emotion of sub then who will? he was born in srilanka and has a great tie with sub. HE has been in srilanka for long time and even he has a house there. Bcb's complain is utterly stupid.

anyway, i dont' entirely believe the india media. the news is still not there on the crickinfo. by the way, where is the link?
Old May 16, 2007, 12:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Nonsense CEO. CTG should look into the matter.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Media hype...Peronal attacks...don't they have any better things to do in this short life.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Oh dear! CEO better apologize quickly.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

i think indian media making it a big issue.. i don't think CEO said things like that.. Indian media is very expert on making things up..
Old May 16, 2007, 12:52 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Mahmudur Rahman should apologize in public for his comments.

Unnecessary and very untimely comment which has no truth in it.
Old May 16, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Nice to see the players step up for their coach, our board is run by bunch of morons. It looks like a beatiful marriage is going to have an Ugly Divorce.
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old May 16, 2007, 12:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Mahmudur Rahman should apologize in public for his comments.
Unnecessary and very untimely comment which has no truth in it.
Mahmudur Rahman used to be an English newsreader in Bangladesh Television.
I wonder whether this is his personal comments or he is still reading news (for BCB).
Old May 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
Cricket Sage

i didn't see that news in any of the daylies yesterday. I saw that only on times india.. so im not sure if its true....
Old May 16, 2007, 01:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
i didn't see that news in any of the daylies yesterday. I saw that only on times india.. so im not sure if its true....
it's on Cricinfo
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old May 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Mushi &Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
it's on Cricinfo
fanx for the info.
Old May 16, 2007, 01:28 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
i think indian media making it a big issue.. i don't think CEO said things like that.. Indian media is very expert on making things up..
I am not sure of that.I agree the Indian media laps up any thing that can increase its viewership (similar to the US media) but I doubt it if they go for this series...

Indian public are more or less nonchalant about this series and would be suprised if Indian papers rake things up....

Beat India consistently or in the tests ..then you will have reams of paper on BD cricket
Old May 16, 2007, 01:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
it's on Cricinfo
they got it from times india.. i believe
Old May 16, 2007, 01:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Even if is not correct or CEO doen't said things like that.....he had enough time to correct his statment............

He was working with British American Tobaco.......may be he put some extra "Grass" for his own brand.

A complete idiot to make a comment like that!!
Old May 16, 2007, 03:41 PM

The CEO Must resign, if he has any sense of responsibility. Oh wait, sorry, the comments he made were completely irresponsible in the first place, I should be surprised if such a fool has any sense of decency and resigns. Whatmore is VERY right to pursue legal actions against the CEO for his denigrating public comments... and Whatmore has MY (insignificant) but FULL support to set things straight. This CEO is is the biggest embarassment to BCB and he has to go!
Old May 16, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Well, this should be a good lesson for BCB to talk more responsibilly in future. It will be very nice of Mahmudur Rahman to resign, although I don't expect him to take the full responsibility of what he said and fight a legal battle with DW by himself.
Old May 16, 2007, 04:11 PM
Cricket Sage

As usual, Dav wants to milk out the max out of BCB’s stupid-ness. It’s nothing but another 'me-first' public stunt by Mr Dav taking advantage out of the fiasco created by the CEO. Legally speaking I don't think Dav can win this case, actually there is no legal case at all.... all public stunt.

There are few issues here... and one wrong doesn't make another right.

#1. Mahmudur Rahman made a fool of himself by opening his mouth at this stage specially when every thing is set and done: i.e. Dav will quit after this series and DAv will be the Head Coach of Indian team. So it better to keep the mouth shut and make this divorce as friendly as possible.

#2. While coaching for BD, I highly appreciate his contribution and achievement. However I was not happy when he was exploring other opportunity while coaching for BD. Legally BCB gave him the loophole to do so. But morally I don't think it was a decent think to do.

#3. When Dav clearly mentioned to BCB that he has no intention to extend the contract, I see no point to keep him against India who (as we all knew all along) is the potential employer. Its a clear case of a 'sitting duck' coach. Nothing but bad things can happen from this kind if situation. And surely Bad things happened.
They should rather bring an interim coach ( as India did) instead for this kind of situation.
Old May 16, 2007, 04:50 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

interesting that only indian sources mention this...right before the test series!
Old May 16, 2007, 05:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakibul Hasan

I think Dav was a fine coach, but I dont like the way hes been doing things lately. Sure, BCB CEO Mahmudur Rahman was very irresponsible in what he said, but taking legal action against the BCB for that? That is going waaay overboard. And then publicly stating that he would like to coach India and then saying that he doesnt go around promoting himself? Give me a break! We're forever indebted to him for the last couple of years, but to act like what he's been doing the last couple of months is fine is being blind. I've supported Dav all these years but practically everything I see from him nowadays just proves to me more and more that he has absolutely no interest in our cricket. Just the money and the respect...
Old May 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Mahmud bhai zindabad, amora achhi tumar sathe.
Old May 16, 2007, 06:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

[quote=BD4eva;453601]I think Dav was a fine coach, but I dont like the way hes been doing things lately. quote]

Dav started this fiasco long time ago. 2 years ago he was sitting on the opposite side of the field to do commentary for a british TV channel while his own team playing in the field! What kind of insane coach is this? Promoted himself big time saying he wanted to coach India which was eventually won by Chappel. Did it again this time around. Some poeple are making Dav Whatmore as GOD or something. Dont forget it is our players who won the matches for us and pretty much all of them were prepared at the age group level by McInnes and others.

Dav has his contribution, but the for lack of professionlism and he showed over the years, it is he, who needs to be criticized, not other way around. We have seen many talents fade way like dry leaves with huge potential as soon as entered the national team, not to mention the most incable captain in a test team.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

That was during the Natwest series in England. Or was it in the test matches? Either way, he was wrong then, wrong two years ago, and wrong again last month. We all know why he stayed with us for another month. About this CEO of ours, typical, mukh er shamney mic dhorey diley shamlatey parey na amader shoktishali jonogon..