facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 23, 2007, 07:35 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Wisden: Ashraful one of ten players that will define Cricket for the next decade

If any one has the Issue and would like to Share with us I'd like to see what it wrote the Hindu only talks about Raina and KP and what it had to say about them.

Quote:
The latest issue of the 'Wisden Cricketer' magazine clubs Raina with Australians batsman Michael Clarke, paceman Shaun Tait, all-rounder Shane Watson, England batsman Kevin Pietersen, Pakistan's fast medium seamer Mohammad Asif, Sri Lanka's fast bowler Lasith Malinga, West Indian all-rounder Dwayne Bravo, New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor and Bangladesh vice captain Mohammad Ashraful as the players who will define cricket's next decade.

[the rest of the article talks about Raina and KP]
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus...0705231754.htm

Quote:
On Ashraful, it said the young cricketer was the star Bangladeshi player in the World Cup.
"Of all the young Bangladesh stars to rise at the World Cup Asraful's could twinkle brightest. Things went quiet for a while after he became Test cricket's youngest centurion in 2001 -- on debut against Murali, no less -- but his 87 against South Africa in Guyana was full of inventive cheek. The scoop over fine-leg might soon need to be patented."
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Raina_...ow/2069630.cms
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!

Last edited by cricman; May 23, 2007 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Never Mind Indiatimes chrips in :)
Old May 23, 2007, 07:42 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Wow!!
Sounds like a good news..
But i guess they are underestimating the power of our Mashree.

He would be power to reckon with in the upcoming days.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Bangladesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
Wow!!
Sounds like a good news..
But i guess they are underestimating the power of our Mashree.

He would be power to reckon with in the upcoming days.
Absolutely! You can also add Saqibul Hasan to this.

I'm still hopefull about Alok Kapali!
Old May 23, 2007, 08:25 AM
Test Cricketer

We always knew Ash would b gr8. Even b4 he came in.So, not really suprised by Wisden. Hope Ash sees this and feels more confident and yes strts to use his head well out there in the pitch as thats the only place he lacks. He gotta do the right thing rite time. His talent is gr8.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner
We always knew Ash would b gr8.
Graeme Hick also 'would' be great and never came close.

Mark Ramprakash was an absolutely superb stroke-player and he never came close to being great either.

Unless Ashraful has a very stern word with himself, he won't even be playing for Bangladesh in 10 years never mind being one of the best players in the world.

There's been some indications lately that he's maturing, but even then he threw his wicket away stupidly on two occasions in the World Cup.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:35 AM
First Class Cricketer

These things are unecessary pressure on the cricketers. From now on the fans will expect more than what they can deliver.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

I would rather wait for this kind of sensational statement after the goods are delivered even though positive recognitions sometimes could do wonder to someone's confidence and his ability.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Other than Raina, every other name makes sense. I think Raina is kinda over-rated.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman

i'll add mash to that list if he can stay healthy. also shoaib malik and imran nazir from pak... dhoni, piyush chawla and manoj tiwari from india... darren powell fro WI... ABD from SA... bopara from england... the young lankans like tharanga and chamara de silva are already making an impact. raina shouldn't be there... but then again...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2007, 09:49 AM
Cricket Legend

I woulda picked Tamim Iqbal.
Old May 23, 2007, 09:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
talent-wise, definitely!!!
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 23, 2007, 10:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
talent-wise, definitely!!!
Talent-wise my choices are Ashraful, Aftab and Mortaza

But my realistic predictions from this team are Mortaza and Mushfiq. Even when he was 16, McInnes claimed Mushfiq had the most professional approach to the game out of any player in Bangladesh.

He's not short on talent either.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Ashraful, Mashrafee, Saqib and Tamim would be greats from bangladesh. After 10 years each of them will have new definitions of cricket in their own way.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritro
Talent-wise my choices are Ashraful, Aftab and Mortaza

But my realistic predictions from this team are Mortaza and Mushfiq. Even when he was 16, McInnes claimed Mushfiq had the most professional approach to the game out of any player in Bangladesh.

He's not short on talent either.
i see your point. i'm still awestruck by tamim's ability to see the ball as early as he does and that outrageous hand-eye coordination, rare qualities that promise a lot. i pray that he gets all the support so than he has a better chance to deliver on that promise. my gut tells me that he will in ODI cricket. ... and looking at his domestic performances, i'm pretty optimistic about his ability to learn and develop the temperament necessary to play test cricket... albeit more like jayasuriya than jayawerdena.

i agree with you about mushi, just hope that he learns to be a better keeper as fast as he can, and hope that aftab finds a way to prove some of us wrong in both forms of the game...

Last edited by Sohel; May 23, 2007 at 10:23 AM..
Old May 23, 2007, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

What about Ross Taylor? he was a flop.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
What about Ross Taylor? he was a flop.
just give him the time his talent desrves bro... he's awesome. controlled aggression and the natural ability to read the bowlers early, he's something else... this is turning into an international cricket thread...
Old May 23, 2007, 10:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
i see your point. i'm still awestruck by tamim's ability to see the ball as early as he does and that outrageous hand-eye coordination, rare qualities that promise a lot. i pray that he gets all the support so than he has a better chance to deliver on that promise. my gut tell me that he will in ODI cricket. ... and looking at his domestic performances, i'm pretty optimistic about his ability to learn and develop the temperament necessary to play test cricket... albeit more like jayasuriya than jayawerdena.

i agree with you about mushi, just hope that he learns to be a better keeper as fast as he can, and hope that aftab finds a way to prove some of us wrong in both forms of the game...
As early as he sees it, his technique doesn't even compare to the ones that Ashraful and Aftab have.

In addition to his difficulties with the back-foot drive, and the way he flaps his bat at anything outside off stump, he can't pull the ball or play off his pads. In fact, he'll often completely misses his flicks and glances to the legside and that makes him a candidate for LBWs.

That said, the other two have 3 years on him (assuming his offical age is accurate), so he may well have sorted all those things out by then. Defintely has the talent.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
just give him the time his talent desrves bro... he's awesome. controlled aggression and the natural ability to read the bowlers early, he's something else... this is turning into an international cricket thread...
Agreed. Taylor is quality.

I'm also curious to have another look at that lad Pollard from the West Indies.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:27 AM
Cricket Savant

tamim's got issues with shot selction more than anything else. he plays all the shots well enough in domestic cricket... the more we see him, the more we'll know what we have here. arnab's spot on about him...
Old May 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

When ashraful is on song he is such a treat to watch... i hope he becomes consistent and realize his potential. Mashrafee is another guy. All the youngsters coming in the team are amazing!!!
Old May 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Agreed. Taylor is quality.

I'm also curious to have another look at that lad Pollard from the West Indies.
too early to tell. i'd like to see our caribbean bros focus more on the bowling. they should try powell, taylor, edwards and lawson together and find that genuine spinner in guaya or trinidad somewhere. sarwan, gayle, samuels, chanderpaul and maybe even ganga can be quite a handful if they decide to deliver... i like ramdin too, and bravo's there always...
Old May 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
too early to tell. i'd like to see our caribbean bros focus more on the bowling. they should try powell, taylor, edwards and lawson together and find that genuine spinner in guaya or trinidad somewhere. sarwan, gayle, samuels, chanderpaul and maybe even ganga can be quite a handful if they decide to deliver...
Lawson would be in the team if he wasn't made of glass. Has had non-stop injuries recently, in addition to all the fuss about his dodgy action.

Should be back in the team soonish.

Never heard of this genuine spinner, but if one exists they'd do well to bring him in and ship Bravo out as soon as possible. Lawson can replace Collymore.

Powell, Taylor, Lawson + a decent spinner will trouble most teams.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
tamim's got issues with shot selction more than anything else. he plays all the shots well enough in domestic cricket...
Does he?

Good sign then. I just assumed he didn't have them.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Never heard of this genuine spinner ... Powell, Taylor, Lawson + a decent spinner will trouble most teams.
nobody has, but i'm sure he's out there somewhere... damn right bro
Old May 23, 2007, 10:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Ahh, you were speaking hypothetically.

Gotcha.