facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Ian,
Thanks for your input.

In current Bangladeshi context "Time to appoint a Captain with new thoughts" and "What sort of coach should we get" are indeed about Change of vision.

A captain largely determines the approach of a Team in both Tests and ODI. With Bashar as a Captain, most opponents can easily predict the course of action of Bangladesh Team in a particular game. Chittagong Test is a classic example, with a captain with the mindset of Graeme Smith or Ricky Ponting or any other positive captain would have definitely gone for a win. With Bashar there it was a safe bet for Dravid. We need to change the vision of our captain to achieve positive results in Tests, a captain with positive attitude, who will play for a win and will be ready to take the challenge to the opposition whenever opportunity arises.

About coach, since Dav made his position clear, BCB is talking about high profile coaches, which IMO is not the right choice for Bangladesh Team in the present context. Here BCB must change their vision and understand the need of the team. And I have clarified the reason in my article.

I definitely agree with you that acclimatization can be better done by touring countries. What I am proposing is additional resources, look at Australian wicket type. Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide all have different wicket type and Australian first class players are playing in these different condition which is definitely help them to acclimatize to different conditions before making it to the national team. Having different wicket types at home will definitely help our first class players to develop their skill to play different shots. When they will make it to the A team or National team, only then they will get the opportunity to tour different countries, and then they can use their experience to acclimatize better. I am not saying that we should sacrifice our natural sub-continent wicket types. That's our strength when other countries will be touring us, we must keep them but we need diversity for our players skill.

For example, our batsman hardly have the proper technique to play hook and pull shots as balls in our wicket types rarely reach that level to play these shots. Secondly, we are not getting good fast bowlers due to nature of wicket. In our wicket, fast bowlers are battered and batsmen find them easy to negotiate. Getting some assistance from the wicket will encourage fast bowlers as well as batsmen will get different kind of challenge.

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks

Miraz

Last edited by Miraz; May 28, 2007 at 11:15 AM..
Old May 28, 2007, 09:58 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss01
what about bringing in players in their mid 20's? Like Al Shariar or others who have performed well in the NCL? They are definetely better than Javed Omar type players.What about Sanwar Hossain? Or is he too old? I am not a good fan of bringing in teenagers unless it's absolutely necessary. They just play stupid shots and get out, don't value their wicket.
I agree with u in this one. Its frustrating to see stupid shots played by these players, especially aftab. And why do bangladesh selectors put dat guy in number 3 spot is beyond me. Put him in 6 place.

Finally I think players should be picked on performance basics,:
Old May 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I'd also argue with your mandate for more aggression - if anything, the Bangladesh side needs a faster, stronger, better JO type or two to balance the raw aggression of the younger players.
Ian,
I missed this point. Technically JO was probably the worst batsmen played for Bangladesh after gaining the Test status. I don't understand what do you mean by better JO type, do you mean the mindset to stay at the wicket?

JO can never be an example of a Test player. If you want more gritty player, that's fine, probably you can say better Rajin type.
Old May 28, 2007, 04:05 PM

For lack of a proper thread discussing the series, I'm including the stats as posted by DStar here:

Old May 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

I just wonder, why Mashrafe was not adjudged Man of the series?

151 runs with 50.33 average and 6 wickets should be enough.

Leading performer for Bangladesh by a distance.

Last edited by Miraz; May 28, 2007 at 04:39 PM..
Old May 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Ian,
I missed this point. Technically JO was probably the worst batsmen played for Bangladesh after gaining the Test status. I don't understand what do you mean by better JO type, do you mean the mindset to stay at the wicket?

JO can never be an example of a Test player. If you want more gritty player, that's fine, probably you can say better Rajin type.
JO is a very good test batsman, too bad he given out on a catch where his bat didnt hit the damn ball.

In test all it matters is keeping your wicket, and JO does that very good, though he may never be the ideal ODI player, he should always be in the test team.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

great article miraz bhai! you do the best !!
Old May 29, 2007, 09:45 AM
Test Cricketer

I get into this thread to ask about Shariar Nafees... he was best BD batsman in 2006 and now his performances are really poor... what's happened to him?
Old May 29, 2007, 09:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf

In test all it matters is keeping your wicket, and JO does that very good.
He doesn't really, his technique is no where near up to scratch and I believe he's only made one 50 in his last 16 innings.

He's also been out for less than 10 on 7 occasions.
Old June 1, 2007, 02:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Very nice and well thought out article. However, I disagree that the induction of youngsters is the answer. As far as I am concerned, age is not always a factor. If an older player is in better form would you drop that player just because of age? Then most of Australian players would not be in their team. Players need to perform, that is the single most important criterion. If a young player performs well that is even better, because the future would look bright for the team.

This article did not touch on who should be the next captain, but I am certainly against Mashrafee being the next one. In general bowlers are not good captains. The first problem is that they usually overbowl or underbowl themselves. If Mashrafee turns out to be an all rounder in the class of Imran Khan or Richard Hadlee, which he probably could, then I would be OK. In any case, I am digressing here.
Old June 1, 2007, 02:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier
I get into this thread to ask about Shariar Nafees... he was best BD batsman in 2006 and now his performances are really poor... what's happened to him?
He got married.
Old June 1, 2007, 03:10 PM
Cricket Guru

I will kinda agree somewhat with Sadi on SN's performance. I am not discouraging marriage, but it's for sure that it diverts your attention at some point. There is no logical explanation or proof with me, but it happened to lot of ppl (no source or stat available), but it's from experience and it happened to lot of people, especially the newly married. That's everywhere (both East and West), though viewing the marriage concept differently, ppl wait to get married when they get mature mentally, professionaly. Just my 2 cents, there are exceptions.
Old June 2, 2007, 02:05 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

So, BCB has agreed to our second suggestion.
Quote:
BCB must appoint a new captain for both forms of the game. A new pair, coach and captain, with bold and positive visions can only take Bangladesh cricket to the next level. It can be either Ashraful or Mashrafe, both positive player and proven performer. It's the high time to make the decision.
Hopefully they will implement the rest with time.
Old June 2, 2007, 10:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Agree with all issues raised in this good article. Lately, however, I am thinking about the way BCB is pursuing this Aussie model without thinking about where actually most of our players are from. I mean, cricket team spots are going to be a desired career and will shut out a lot of talent because of socioecon reasons.
Old June 3, 2007, 12:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Nice article Miraz bhai....

In "change in the domestic structure" i want to share some of my thoughts to make the national cricket league more competitive:

- in addition to getting increased match fees, Winning team's players should get bonus money.
- Champion team should get the opportunity to visit one of test playing nations and play matches there...or any visiting team can play with our NCL champs as warm up match.
- BCB can invite strong "A" teams of other test playing nation in our NCL to play the the whole season as our "A" team played in other countries.
- Encourage regional teams to fight hard to become champion in NCL, give them incentives like, bonus money, champion division will get to host test matches, get more fund for infrustructure....so on...

It's very important that all players take our only 1st class competition very seriously and thus by seeing players in NCL, we definitely can come to conclusion that which playaer is good enough to go to the next level.
Old June 3, 2007, 01:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

now we need a job permanent coach else everything is in the right direction, s nafees needs a break and then he'll be bak in form, then our team will be good(odi) and we'll have a good captain
Old June 3, 2007, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangla786
we also demand a lesson from the south or aussiez qurator to give our moron quroator some lessons how to make better pitch
We want sporting pitches or pitches that suits our kind of play......not the pitches suited for aussies or south africans...

To play better in foreign soil (specilly outside sub-cont.), we need to send our "A" and U-19 team to visit their countries more often.
Old June 4, 2007, 06:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam

Quote:
Bangladesh cricket at a crossroad: change of vision required to lift the bar
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

Bangladesh cricket has entered into the most crucial period after gaining the Test status. ............ and Bangladesh cricket must select right persons to fill their shoes.

Very timely thoughts

Firstly, coach selection.

To add...The deficiency I felt during whatmore's time, was of a boaling coach, We have seen talents coming and diminishing due to lack of appropriate grooming & Guidance. It should be seriously thought to have a good boaling coach for the team. Even short exposure of our pacers to the likes of Akram, Waker, Mcgrath, could be boosting the performance of the bowlers to a great extent

Secondly, change in captaincy.

That's already done and think quiet appropriately

Thirdly, the composition of the team. Time has come to take some strong decisions about some of players. We are carrying them for years without reasonable explanations........ Javed Omar, Khaled Mashud has nothing left to offer for Bangladesh team in both forms of the game, same applies to Habibul Bashar in ODIs. We need players like Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed and Mushfiqur Rahim in the Test team, who can take oppositions to the wire with their aggressive intents. Test cricket has evolved a lot along with ODIs. Now, teams play for win, aggressive players like Adam Gilchrist, Kevin Pietersen, Mahendara Dhoni are ruling Test cricket. Timid approach can only hold us back, time has come to open the eyes and change the thought process.

So appropriate about the older players. And also for the young players like tamim, Aftab, Mushi.... In fact an upcoming team like BD should not have much changes in the test and ODI teams, We must keep more or less the same team and allow these young boys to learn to adapt to different situations and how to change gears in game. that helps in both form and makes them matured players. None does so much changes between both team, thease days. !/2 changes should be enough

Lastly, change in the domestic structure.

The pitches should be bouncy pitches like SA, Aus, WI it has been proven over the years, that it is easy to adapt quickly to a dead indian type pitch, rathar than bouncy pitches. Unless it is impossible to make bouncy pitches in BD due to weather / Soil, but as much as possible we must have mostly bouncy pictches
Finally, If we want to progress as a cricketing nation and solve our Test woes, we must take correct decisions about these issues. Bangladesh Cricket Board want to follow Australian model to raise the standard pf the game. I hope they will truly follow the system and will take decisions which will lift the bar and Bangladesh will come out of the dark old days of Test misery.
We hope they (BCB) understand and follow it in the true spirit, not one of convenience, like it happens/ed in many fields of BD

Finally,thanks for raising the issues & suggestions which are so timely, important and well thought
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old June 4, 2007, 06:56 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Thanks BANFAN for your additions.

I do differ slightly with the bouncy pitch concept. To me
Quote:
Keeping the natural sub-continental wickets in some first class venues, BCB must prepare some sporting wickets which will offer pace and bounce. Only then players will be exposed to different level of challenges and will be able to acclimatize to different conditions.
is more appropriate approach than trying to make all pitches bouncy.
Old June 4, 2007, 08:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Thanks BANFAN for your additions.

I do differ slightly with the bouncy pitch concept. To me

is more appropriate approach than trying to make all pitches bouncy.
Thanks Miraz

Well I said as much as possible, But you seem to be suggesting something more specific and it's a combination of both types, which definitely will prepare the players to acclamatize even better in both conditions. It possibly is the best thing if our technical staff can make/maintain it. I stand corrected on that statement

Another point I wanted to add to your domestic cricket thoughts, why not put some sort of quality controll system on foreign players, like the players should have the experience of playing test/odi for his country or be atleast a playing member of A team. This can fill up the vacuum created by the absense of the national team and the leagues can still be interesting and our young players will be exposed to good & competitive cricket, taking the domestic level up. When the national team can play they will. Still about half of all the teams will be young upcoming tallents, who will have a great opportunity to improve their level to make the domestic performance count.

Thanx
I'm with Shahbag for fair punishment of all war criminals. Im with Shahbag to stand for fair trials of all Corruption, all murders and social injustices occurred over last 40 years. I'm for a secular, corruption free & Just society in Bangladesh. Spirit of '71
Old June 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

BCB is definitely heading towards professionalism and taking very right decisions.

Here's what I have proposed

Quote:
Financial security of the first class cricketers is another important issue which BCB must deal professionally. First class players should be able to earn their livelihood through playing cricket, so that they can fully concentrate on the development of the game which in turn will enhance the quality of the domestic cricket.
and it's almost done in todays BCB meeting

Quote:
NCL gets cash boost
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) did not discuss issues like picking a coach for the Tigers or on the selectors during a meeting at a conference hall in Gulshan last night.With Bangladesh cricket team being handled by interim coach Shaun Williams, the need for some semblance of decision on the appointment of a coach was not even in the agenda. The issue of a new selection committee was also not an agenda for discussion, surprisingly.
Among the agendas, sprucing domestic cricket was on top of all discussions. It was decided that Tk 10,000 would be provided to each player for playing a four-day match and Tk 5,000 for the limited-over match in the National Cricket League, informed BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam
All the divisional teams will be provided with coach, physio and trainer and each side will get at least three weeks of preparation time. The facilities would be high standard added the general secretary.
Around Tk 20 lakh would be the total prize money with the champions expected to get half of it.
Mahbub also informed that GrameenPhone will continue to sponsor the Bangladesh national team for the tour of Sri Lanka only.
Meanwhile, the under-19 team will play a triangular series in Sri Lanka against the hosts and India, and play four one-dayers in Malaysia in July-August. The academy team will tour Darwin, Australia in August while the women's team will play two warm-up matches in Thailand en route to Malaysia for the ACC Cup in July.
The top umpires of the country will be brought into the board's payroll.

From Daily Star

Really a very good move by BCB.
Old June 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

The article is spot on with pretty much everything.
Old June 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

10,000 tk per four day match is not good enough. Each team plays ten four day matches if I am not mistaken and that means each player is making about 1 lakh tk. If you add one day matches with it, thats about another 50,000 tk. So from national league, a first class cricketer is making about 1.5 lakh tk. Now it may sound a lot but its not. Our star players used to make 5-6 lakh tk easily few years back in Dhaka league.

I know its a start but just like I have said, its not quite good enough just yet. I rather have different companies sponsoring different divisions and players negociating their salaries with different divisions. It will not only make the league more interesting, more money will flow in and it will bring our first class cricket out of the picnic mood it has now.
Old June 14, 2007, 01:29 PM
Cricket Guru

I am happy that after so many debacles they are ready to re-organize and re-vamp the league. But the amount of time they took it, clearly indicates what were they doing all these years after receiving test status.
Still it matters the most about the honesty of BCB officials and their integrity, otherwise the fate will be same like other industries where only officials get the 'benefits' of investing so funding.
I hope they will prove me wrong.
Old June 15, 2007, 11:53 AM
Cricket Sage

10,000 & 5,000 tk per match is not at all reasonable and can't expect to produce players to compete as a test playing nation.

I understand, Money alone does not make players, but it creates the environment for tougher competition & consistant performane to stay in the team. That raises the standard dramatically.

Hope this is begining and it will be increased by BCB in near future or make some sort of sponsorship arrangements to channel more money to the players. Or game improvement will remain to be a dream.

Any way, the decision is welcome, to begin with