facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Default Abdul Jalil, Lutfozzaman Babar, Abul Hashem arrested

Just read it in Daily Star,

Abdul Jalil, Lutfozzaman Babar, Abul Hashem arrested
Awami League General Secretary Abdul Jalil, former state minister for home affairs Lutfozzaman Babar and former BNP MP and Partex Group Chairman Abul Hashem were arrested by the joint forces today.

Sources said a team of the army-led joint forces picked Jalil up from his Markentile Bank office in the capital.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

LINK: http://thedailystar.net/latest/updates.php?pid=-96

Abdul Jalil is the no.2 of the Awami league and there is only one person above him and that is Hasina Wajid herself.

Tariq Zia is the closest person politically to Khaleda and could have been her possible successor so in some ways he can be viewed as the no.2 of the BNP (though in a different way, not administratively).

Hasina Wajid's supporters celebrated at her return to the country but according to certain sources her arrest is imminent. Depending on the nature of her arrest and imprisonment she may not be able to communicate with the AL leadership outside. This may lead to other senior leaders in the AL taking over power and reforming the party. It is said that this is what the CTG wants and perhaps behind the scenes they have been working with senior AL leaders to realize this scenario.

Also a crack down on corrupt judges is being spoken about according to certain sources.

Hasina has been checkmated...game...set...and....MATCH to the CTG!
Old May 28, 2007, 10:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Did they give any more details why Abdul Jalil was arrested? The guy was a real chamcha of Hasina.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
BC T20 WC 2012 Fantasy League Winner

There we go! CTG is taking a step by step process to stabilised the country. I have started to believe that the beginning of new era of bangladesh. I wish this CTG will provide the base of the political infrastructure we have been waiting for so long. I also started to believe that in very near future i can go back to my motherland and live happily ever after with peace, pride and happiness.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

So far I haven't found anything out, but it's obvious why the guy was arrested. He has been involved in many years of corruption and other activities.

However I have been informed.

1. Hasina Wajid (HW) will be arrested soon.

2. There is going to be a crackdown on corrupt members of the judiciary.

3. The corrupt mayor of Chittagong is facing legal action.

http://www.newagebd.com/front.html#21

4. After this phase of big arrests there is going to be a relatively long lull in the war against corruption and political instability. There was a period of relative calm after the arrest of Tariq Zia.

5. The British and American governments are essentially supportive of all this but they are being clever by making it out that they are pressurizing the CTG for early elections and commitment to parliamentary democracy. US/UK want to invest in BD as they too need to feed and provide jobs to their expanding populations and BD is a huge market of 140-150 million consumers. They want to make BD conducive to FDI and have played a key role in the 1/11 revolution/renaissance.

6.India is also pleased by the CTG and is not too keen on the AL either. The CTG strongly believes in the necessity of having positive relations with India as it is fundamentally important for economic growth and progress. From what I am reading the government is working on clearing up the problem of constant border bloodshed and killings by the Indians.

7. They also have neither any fundamental ideological hostility (e.g. Awami league and other leftist-secularists) or preference for Pakistan (e.g. right-wing factions of the BNP and Jamat) and are more than happy to have normal relations with this state as long as it benefits BD, in the same way they would want to have positive relations with Turkey or Malaysia.

8.On a last note, the CTG will in the future be starting a campaign against criminals and rajakaars of 1971.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:51 AM
Test Cricketer

good news for bangladesh.....
If i were that old and rich like MR jalil, i would have sat home and spent time with my grandson's..
Old May 28, 2007, 11:57 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Great news. At least I will see Abdul Jalil less on tv. Beta 'shonkskar' niya ki je shuru korse!
Old May 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

It's a good first step; but we need to see these people tried, found convincingly guilty, and sentenced before we get too excited. I am not saying that we shouldn't be optimistic, but remember how excited some members were earlier on when it looked like Hasina and Khaleda were getting exiled, followed by their depression when that didn't come to pass.
Old May 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

If it's a reactive decision after Jalil's recent activities including letters to the embassies, it will end up in another "no show" like the exile plan.

If CTG really want to try these culprits, I welcome the move.
Old May 28, 2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

Hasina, after the arrest of Jalil (BAL Hijra bahini Commander), said "the government's ongoing drive seems to be against politics, not corruption."

Proof positive that she is clueless. Here's the clue, Hachina:

Government's drive against corruption - Good. Very good.

Government's drive against politics - Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss. Alhamdulillah. Duggaaaa Duggaaaaaaa. Thank you Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeesusssssssss. Thank you Buddhaaaa. Ahal -rahight !!!!!!!!!!!!. Finally !!! Thank you, Thank you God....Party time.... Freedom finally...!!!!!!!!!!!!Yesss............. :brav o:
Old May 28, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
good news for bangladesh.....
If i were that old and rich like MR jalil, i would have sat home and spent time with my grandson's..
Sunny bhai, problem is all the wealth did come in various (!) means. kothai ase na, something orjoner cheye rokkha kora kothin.
Old May 28, 2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Shaad bhai, yes some members here did get very despondent with the return of Hasina Wajid (HW) to Bangladesh, but I was always very happy as for me it was:

The return of a criminal back to territory controlled by a government intent on dealing with her.

You are right to encourage people not to get too excited, but my sources are often correct. HW's presence in Bangladesh is very good news and better than her being in foreign soil where she can make trouble et la Altaf Hussein (for those who don't know who has been instigating bloodshed in Karachi from his HQ in London). As for what I have been told about the senior AL leadership possibly chosing a new leader and reforming the mentality, policies and methods of the party all I can say is we must wait and see.

As for foreign embassies and powers, as far as I know, they are one of the key parties behind the whole 1/11 revolution/renaissance as they eagerly want to invest in BD and were sick and tired of the traditional BNP-AL style of governance which hindered that. The new CTG has the approval of the US administration and will continue to do so.
Old May 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Asif, very few things would give me greater pleasure than the government making the lawsuits stick. Regarding the CTG having the approval/backing of US/Western powers/India: we'll continue to have that as long as Khaleda or Hasina aren't able to orchestrate either massive demonstrations or reports of the army crushing demonstrations. While foreign nations see us as a potential market and an investment site in the absence of BNP/AL hartals/corruption, their own constituencies would force them to stop supporting the CTG, if we gave the impression that "democracy" was being hindered.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Talking Hasina's reaction of the arrests

I compiled some of Hasina's totally clueless reaction from Daily Star below:
Quote:
The people long to see a democratic environment followed by a free and fair election and their patience is wearing thin with every passing day, she observed.
Quote:
She said, "The public want a relief from this suffocating situation."
Quote:
Life is always good when democracy and good governance are in place, said Hasina, adding that the countrymen were better-off during her regime as they did not have to face power crisis and price hike of essentials.
Sorry, but I remember having to study under candle light in 4 out of 7 nights atleast under her regime.
Quote:
"They might even arrest and beat me tomorrow for my talking [to the press] now. They don't see any violation of law in meeting at a Chinese restaurant to form a new political party.
Quote:
"We campaigned against crime and corruption, and the plot to rig election by the four-party alliance. The present caretaker government is the result of our movement but ironically the sword is now pointed at us."
Quote:
"They have arrested the general secretary of an organisation like Awami League. Is it a crime that he has written to the embassies?"
Old May 28, 2007, 08:30 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

I especially disagree "the countrymen were better-off during her regime as they did not have to face power crisis". What a joke. I know what happened, I was there.

"The present caretaker government is the result of our movement but ironically the sword is now pointed at us." LOL she's trying to take credit for the caretaker gov't? Isn't there a CTG anyway when no 'elected' gov't in in power? She's smoking too much BAL.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
She's smoking too much BAL.
Comment of the week
Old May 29, 2007, 09:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman

about time too... 70 more to go. BRAVO !!!
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 30, 2007, 12:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Billah, calm down. You know when one falls, there are many many more to take their place. It's always been that way.
Old May 30, 2007, 01:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman

FYI: abul hashem's aziz al kaiser tito's dad. tito's the somewhat controversially elected # 2 man in BCB. he's been doing a really good job as the head of marketing for BCB.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
FYI: abul hashem's aziz al kaiser tito's dad. tito's the somewhat controversially elected # 2 man in BCB. he's been doing a really good job as the head of marketing for BCB.
Actually that entire board, reagrdless of their political affiliation, are doing a decent job. I remember Reazuddin Al Mamoon (not the notorious Giasuddin Al Mamun)resigning in protest after Lobi signed that BS broadcasting deal with a Malaysian co. Ultimately, that deal was signed with Nimbus and fetched 10 times more money. Kudos to Mamoon, I was very impressed with him.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:38 AM
Cricket Legend

I hear Jalol's singing like a Canary.
Old May 31, 2007, 03:09 AM

Few month ago our Hasina criticized Dr. Yunus saying ... 'Diurnitibaz ghushkhor shudhkhor er moddhay kono parthokko nai'. Today's DS report reminds me her quote and I like to give her back saying ... 'Diurnitibaz ghushkhor chadabaz er moddhay kono parthokko nai'.

Quote:
Tk 20cr Bashundhara bribe recovered from Babar

The former Home boss received the money in exchange for absolving Sobhan's son from murder charge, money deposited with BB; conglomerate paid Tk 25 lakh to AL leaders a month
Zayadul Ahsan

The joint forces have recovered Tk 20 crore, which arrested former state minister for home Lutfozzaman Babar received from Bashundhara Group in exchange for not implicating the conglomerate's boss' son in a murder case.

The forces deposited the money with Bangladesh Bank yesterday, sources said.

In July last year, Humayun Kabir Sabbir, a director of Bashundhara Group owned by Ahmed Akbar Sobhan, was murdered and his body was found lying outside an apartment building in Gulshan. Sobhan's son Shafiat Sobhan was the main suspect in the killing.

Sobhan came to a negotiation with Babar that he would pay him Tk 20 crore in exchange for not implicating his son in the murder case, the joint forces came to know from another Bashundhara director recently. The director told the forces that he used to reach the money in small sums to Babar at his residence, sources said.

But when the director brought Tk 1 crore to Babar one day, the former state minister felt it unsafe to receive money in that manner and asked him to take the money to Qazi Saleemul Huq, owner of GQ Ball Pen Industries and a director of Prime Bank. Saleemul deposited the money with the bank. Babar asked him to return the money at a later time, the Bashundhara director told the forces.

Getting cue from the Bashundhara director, when the joint forces inquired with the Prime Bank about the money, Saleemul admitted to safekeeping the money for Babar. He also handed the money to the joint forces in a draft, which was then deposited with the central bank yesterday.

After receiving the bribe, Babar had allegedly instructed the police not to proceed with the case and the Bashundhara director's murder still remains unsolved. Babar also allegedly let Sobhan's son Shafiat fly out of the country.

The joint forces also deposited another Tk 7 crore with Bangladesh Bank recovered from a Chittagong businessman. The details of the businessman could not be known.

Meantime, more revealing information about how Bashundhara Group expanded its business on an amazingly fast track in the last five years with the blessing of BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Tarique Rahman was extracted from arrested Awami League (AL) leaders.

AL Gulshan unit Secretary Wakil Uddin told the forces that the group used to pay Tk 25 lakh to the party on a monthly basis through Sayem Sobhan Anvir, another son of Akbar Sobhan. The money would then be distributed among the AL top leaders including Sheikh Hasina, MA Jalil, Sheikh Selim, Abdur Razzak and Tofail Ahmed.

AL leaders including the party's City Secretary Mofazzel Hossain Chowdhury Maya had received more than 10 plots from Bashundhara, Wakil told the joint forces.

Wakil repeated the allegations when he was brought face-to-face with Jalil and Selim yesterday. He said the money was often delivered in his presence. Jalil, however, denied the allegation.

Bashundhara Group had also cheated its buyers of land by cancelling their allotment whenever land prices had shot up. The buyers were then given fresh allotment in cheaply priced locations.
Bashundhara Chairman Ahmed Akbar Sobhan is on the Anti-Corruption Commission list of graft suspects. He escaped to London soon after the anti-graft drive began and has been hiding abroad since then.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:10 PM
Banned

I am truly shocked!

The Awami league...but I always thought they were such good, decent, honest, hardworking people who worked into the early hours of the night wiping sweat from their foreheads in their struggle to make Bangladesh progress and prosper.

My illusions have been shattered....next you will tell me Santa is not true either.

*Sarcasm*
Old May 31, 2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

"How much paddy makes how much rice?"
কত ধানে কত চাল

হা হা হা হা....

This is very sad and funny at the same time.

Couple of days ago Joint Forces arrested the head of "Forest Dept." The guy had piles and piles of taka tucked under his pillow, in water drum (without water of course), under his bed, in suitcase and every other place you can think of. They recovered more than 10million taka just from his house.

Marvelous!
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old May 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
The guy had piles and piles of taka tucked under his pillow, in water drum (without water of course), under his bed, in suitcase and every other place you can think of.
Damn, I would love to have the space inside my boxers available for some of that money. At least my tuition for the year would've been covered