facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 1, 2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
I believe this is not the proper speed.This is just not possible,it may be the kbps shown,for instance,my GP EDGE modem shows 230 kbps,but I topped at around 20,but heard people are topping at 100 at some places,it depends on the place of use.However,I found this to be the 2nd best option at this time,after Teletalk,too bad they dont have network at my home.
I did the speed test from testmy.net,

the optimax cable modem connects to pc by Ethernet cable, so pc shows 100Mbps connection, but from online speedtest, I got 128kbps download consistently, but upload speed is capped at 32kbps (kilobits... mind you)

about GP Edge my gf used, I had her do the speedtest last summer, before the bulk of people started migrating to GPRS and Edge, it was 80-90kbps (10-12KB/s) then for her.
Old June 1, 2007, 04:04 PM
First Class Cricketer

man it really s[]ks there it seems if wat shafin said is true.in india however we get broadband speed (home connection) of 256 kbps at merely 250 Rs i.e. around 6 usd. if u pay more u ll get much higher speed.bd really needs to improve in the broadband domain
Old July 21, 2007, 10:46 AM
Club Cricketer

Default whats the highest broadband speed in bd?

hi
i dont go bd for a long time. at my time i useto use super slow internet at a cyber cafe...i still remember they split up a dial up connection using router to 10 pc! heheh nyway so i was just wondering how much speed net companies providing these days to households, the highest speed of broadband they have now in bd.. ny one using ?
Old July 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

I think 52 kbps
Old July 21, 2007, 11:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

sunnyctg's thread merged with the previous internet speed discussion thread... for informative discussion.

-Mod
Old July 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Comcast with Powerboost:

Last edited by goru; July 21, 2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old August 16, 2007, 07:30 PM

While Europe is on the verge of deploying HSUPA, now this.... Pathetic!!

"...the Bangladesh Telecommunications Regulatory Commission, the telecom watchdog in the country, still has no plan to issue license for a 3G service that offers high-speed voice and data transfer speed for mobile phones."

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=344
Old August 16, 2007, 08:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

is dsl available in dhaka?
Old August 16, 2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
is dsl available in dhaka?
yes, at dialup speeds (in Europe & NA). And I doubt they use the state telephone company's phone line. I have a feeling they probably lay their own copper cables and connect the dsl modem at your end with their switches.
Old August 17, 2007, 04:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
yes, at dialup speeds (in Europe & NA). And I doubt they use the state telephone company's phone line. I have a feeling they probably lay their own copper cables and connect the dsl modem at your end with their switches.
well, dialup speed would be 56k. however, if it is a contant 56k without the line cutting out i could put up with that. although, after being used to a cable modem for the last six or seven years, it would be difficult to get back to 56k again. my brother in laws father has apparently high speed internet at home. i never enquired as to the exact nature of the line, however, if i were to ever return to bangladesh for good, i would certainly require even relatively fast internet.
Old August 17, 2007, 05:06 AM

My sister went back to BD after 7 years of enjoying high speed in Canada. She couldnt tolerate our local neighbourhood lan internet connection or the local dial-ups. She currently pays out of her own pocket for a cable modem internet connection. She gets dedicated 128kbps (16KB/s) now.
Old August 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
My sister went back to BD after 7 years of enjoying high speed in Canada. She couldnt tolerate our local neighbourhood lan internet connection or the local dial-ups. She currently pays out of her own pocket for a cable modem internet connection. She gets dedicated 128kbps (16KB/s) now.

128k is actually quite a stark difference from 56k. the first ntlworld modem i had here was 128k and i could not believe how fast everything seemed overnight. since then, there has been gradual speed increases but never that noticeable. since i only use the internet for newsgroups, emails, forums and ocassional photographic work, my needs are not as heavy as those toying with video and music feeds.

if you don't mind me asking, how much is your sister paying per month?
Old August 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

folks,
things will dramatically change once WiMax is deployed in Dhaka. There are couple ISPs now working on it (such as Agni). Wimax standard provides high speed internet using wireless link, do not need to go for costly wired line ....... all you need is just a WiMax modem.

Just wait for couple of years.

Here is a link from Motorola who will sale WiMax products to Agni:
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...d=7495_7425_23

Last edited by Kana-Baba; August 17, 2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old August 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Baba
folks, things will dramatically change once WiMax is deployed in Dhaka. There are couple ISPs now working on it (such as Agni). Wimax standard provides high speed internet using wireless link, do not need to go for costly wired line ....... just wait for couple of years.

Here is a link from Motorola:
that is quite excellent news. however, it does mean that i can't really justify moving back for the next 2 years at least!
Old August 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Both the GP and Citycell mobile Internet are way faster than the dial-up.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 19, 2007, 01:27 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafin
When the Submarine cable was opened,everyone hoped for a complete renovation of internet in bangladesh.Truth be told,it had worsened,the speed of dialup has been so pathetic that i needed 10-20 minutes just to open a page,so I've decided to say goodbye to it and look forward.

Now using GP's EDGE, not that great a speed,but at least this is navigable.

So,I believe I'm going to get active again.I did not have net at home for last 5-6 months.

I will try to get a blog also.Which site you would suggest?
You are not reporting speed in kbps (kilo BIT per second), but in KB/s (kilo BYTE per second). The proper way of mentioning network speed is Kbps, Mbps, Gbps (not KB/s, MB/s, GB/s)

Dial-up is definately not that bad. Although most of the ISPs still provide 33.6 kbps (around 3.7 KB/s download speed), some have stepped up to 50+ kbps. Sometimes I connect with Onet when my local so called "broadband" goes down. I can almost always connect at 52 kbps (around 6 KB/s download speed). It's actually a bit faster than my local "broadband" ( which is 48 kbps, around 5 KB/s download speed). I have to pay equal to Onet's 24 hour unlimited plan (1200 tk/month) for my "broadband", the only advantage is saving some BTTB phone bill.

Either your dial-up ISP really sucked or your phone line had problems. Otherwise even the worst dial-up ISP will do better than 8 kbps (1 KB/s).

Anyway, request to both you and Sohel_NR, please post your GP / Citycell line speeds (test with testmy.net or bandwidthplace.com). And does GP actually take advantage of EDGE? Is it possible to better than GPRS speed (32 - 48 kbps) using EDGE?

edit:
to Shafin, If you acually got 20 KB/s, then it means you are getting around 160 kbps, which is really great.

Last edited by Spitfire_x86; August 19, 2007 at 01:55 AM..
Old August 19, 2007, 01:32 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Baba
folks,
things will dramatically change once WiMax is deployed in Dhaka. There are couple ISPs now working on it (such as Agni). Wimax standard provides high speed internet using wireless link, do not need to go for costly wired line ....... all you need is just a WiMax modem.

Just wait for couple of years.

Here is a link from Motorola who will sale WiMax products to Agni:
Agni has already started providing WiMax service. So far it's not really very useful.They are charging 1500 tk per month for 48 kbps, which is same as good dial-up but 25% more expensive.

I can get 256k down/64 up from my local provider, but it's way too expensive (7000 tk/month)
Old August 19, 2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
And does GP actually take advantage of EDGE? Is it possible to better than GPRS speed (32 - 48 kbps) using EDGE?
I am trying to do some digging into this too. From some forum (I dont remember which)... GP's EDGE is faster than GPRS... but not in dhaka city. Basically when their particular base stations have a lot of voice traffic, it hampers data traffic in that area. The people were saying EDGE in Gaibandha or Faridpur was waayyy better than EDGE in Uttara. 20KB/s vs 5-6KB/s.

That forum also had links to a software for Nokia's to choose a particular base station in your vicinity, instead of switching signals to other base stations... and apparently doing so improves data transmission rates as well.
Old July 16, 2009, 11:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Rahul Dravid

ইন্টারনেট ব্যান্ডউইডথ এর ফি ৩৩ শতাংশ কমানোর সিদ্ধান্ত

ঢাকা, জুলাই ১৬ (বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকম)- সাবমেরিন কেবলের ব্যান্ড উইডথ ফি ও ব্যাকহল ফি কমানোর সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়েছে বাংলাদেশ টেলিযোগাযোগ নিয়ন্ত্রণ কমিশন (বিটিআরসি)।

এতে ইন্টারনেট ব্যান্ডউইডথ ফি আগের চেয়ে ৩৩ ভাগ কমবে।

বৃহস্পতিবার বিটিআরসির এক সংবাদ বিজ্ঞপ্তিতে এ তথ্য জানানো হয়।

এতে বলা হয়, প্রতি মেগাবিট/সেকেন্ড ইন্টারনেট ব্যান্ডউইডথ এর মূল্য ২৭০০০ টাকা থেকে কমিয়ে ১৮০০০ হাজার করার সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়া হয়েছে।

একই সঙ্গে বাংলাদেশ সাবমেরিন কেবল কোম্পানি ওয়েট মেগমেন্ট ব্যান্ডউইডথ মূল্য ১০ শতাংশ কমিয়েছে। ইন্টারনেট অ্যাকসেসের জন্য বাংলাদেশ টেলিকমিউনিকেশন্স কোম্পানি লিমিটেডও অভ্যন্তরীণ ব্যাকহলের মূল্য কমিয়েছে।

টেলিযোগাযোগ সেবা বিশেষত ইন্টারনেট সেবা দেশের প্রত্যন্ত অঞ্চলে ছড়িয়ে দেওয়ার জন্য মন্ত্রণালয়, সরকারি ও বেসরকারি ইন্টারনেট সেবা প্রদানকারী প্রতিষ্ঠানের সঙ্গে আলোচনা করে বিটিআরসি এ সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়েছে বলে ওই বিজ্ঞপ্তিতে বলা হয়।

এ ব্যাপারে বিটিআরসির চেয়ারম্যান অবসরপ্রাপ্ত ব্রিগেডিয়ার জেনারেল জিয়া আহমেদ বলেন, "দেশে সাবমেরিন কেবল সংযোগের সময় এর ব্যান্ডউইডথ মূল্য যথেষ্ট বেশি ছিল। এটি ১৮০০০ টাকায় নামিয়ে আনার কারণে অপারেটররা আরও বেশি ব্যান্ডউইডথ ভাড়া নিয়ে স্বল্পমূল্যে গ্রাহকদের দিতে পারবে।"

এতে দেশে ইন্টারনেট ব্যবহারকারীর সংখ্যা বাড়বে বলেও আশা প্রকাশ করেন তিনি।

বিটিআরসি জানিয়েছে, ব্যান্ডউইডথের দাম কমানোর ফলে আইএসপি ও মোবাইল অপারেটরদের বর্তমান ইন্টারনেট সংযোগ প্যাকেজের ওপর কি ধরনের প্রভাব পড়বে তা পর্যালোচনা করে পরবর্তী নির্দেশ জারি করা হবে।

বাংলাদেশ সাবমেরিন কেবল কোম্পানি লিমিটেডের ব্যবস্থাপনা পরিচালক মনোয়ার হোসেন বিডিনিউজ টোয়েন্টিফোর ডটকমকে বলেন, "ব্যান্ডউইডথ এর দাম কমানোর সুফল যেন জনসাধারণ পায় তার জন্য আইএসপি অপারেটরদের উদ্যোগী হতে হবে।"

বাংলাদেশ এসই-এমই-ডব্লিও-৪ সাবমেরিন কেবল কনসোর্টিয়ামের সঙ্গে যুক্ত। বাংলাদেশের বরাদ্দ ব্যান্ডইউডথ এর পরিমাণ ২৪ গিগাবিট। তবে বর্তমানে ব্যবহার হচ্ছে মাত্র ৮ গিগাবিট। দাম বেশি অভিযোগ করে আইএসপিসহ অন্যরা বেশি ব্যান্ডউইডথ কিনতে অনীহা দেখিয়ে আসছে গ্রাহকদের দুর্বলগতির ইন্টারনেট পাওয়া যার অন্যতম কারণ।

Link
Old July 17, 2009, 12:53 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Charlie Chaplin

Great to know, that will save some hard earned forex.