facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069
Default For Josephites: Sweet memories

One of us cared to write this on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hojamal_Ho

Brings a smile to my face.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 16, 2006, 10:51 PM
ZunaidH ZunaidH is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 29, 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib
Posts: 745

Arnab;

Good find
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 16, 2006, 11:27 PM
Zunaid Zunaid is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: January 22, 2004
Posts: 21,739

Not a Josephite myself but a next door neighbor - had stolen this special "battle cry" and it became even more part of my lexicon at NDC with all my Josephite friends. I had always thought that the etymology was "Ho, Jamal, Ho" and not "Hojamal, ho".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 16, 2006, 11:37 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

It's "hojamal" AFAIK.

I remember shouting the form "Hojamal, ho, ho , ho" too, on a few occasions.

Last edited by Arnab; October 17, 2006 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 17, 2006, 10:58 AM
Bancan's Avatar
Bancan Bancan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 25, 2006
Location: CANADA
Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Posts: 2,957

wohoo proud to be a josephite. i was part of the 50 year anniversary couple of years ago
__________________
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 25,376

Simply cruel: "this use has been observed against groups of girls. Boys from St. Joseph have reported extra satisfaction from delivering a Hoja against Holy Cross Girls' High School (Dhaka), a rival school run by the same organization in charge of St. Joseph High School. This type of Hoja is spurred not only by a sense of rivalry, but also by a desperate attempt at attracting females. No instance of it succeeding in that goal has ever been recorded." When something does not work try something different.

Congrates to Jalal for posting this at Wiki. However, I challenge this claim of coming out of Saint Joshimuddin patshala.
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 17, 2006, 01:46 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Simply cruel: "this use has been observed against groups of girls. Boys from St. Joseph have reported extra satisfaction from delivering a Hoja against Holy Cross Girls' High School (Dhaka), a rival school run by the same organization in charge of St. Joseph High School. This type of Hoja is spurred not only by a sense of rivalry, but also by a desperate attempt at attracting females. No instance of it succeeding in that goal has ever been recorded." When something does not work try something different.
Well, the original para wasn't like this at all, since it was written by a Josephite. Seems like some HC sympathizer has tinkered with the article. Tsk. Tsk.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 17, 2006, 01:52 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
However, I challenge this claim of coming out of Saint Joshimuddin patshala.
Trust me, it could only come out of a place like St Joseph. Makes sense on too many levels.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 17, 2006, 04:18 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Shahriar nafees is also from st. joseph school. I remember playing against him when I was in class 8. Back then he was a short kid who had a reputation for spanking the bowlers all around the park.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 17, 2006, 05:23 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Shahriar nafees is also from st. joseph school.
So are Niaz Morshed and Rifat bin Sattar, two of only three Chess grandmasters we have in Bangladesh.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 17, 2006, 05:47 PM
SS SS is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 24, 2004
Posts: 9,599

hehe i am from there, i turned out to be a bum in BC...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 17, 2006, 05:51 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Are you Sheikh Sadi? We had a pessimist like you who went by that name.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 17, 2006, 10:07 PM
SS SS is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 24, 2004
Posts: 9,599

Sheikh Sadi was never a pessimist, atleast what we read about one of the popular 'stories' where he was rejected first for his clothings and then was welcomed when he changed his attire. Then he criticized the nature of our materialistic mind.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 17, 2006, 11:41 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Sheikh Sadi was never a pessimist, atleast what we read about one of the popular 'stories' where he was rejected first for his clothings and then was welcomed when he changed his attire. Then he criticized the nature of our materialistic mind.

Wow this sheikh sadi person is famous in saint joseph !!! You poeple hear "stories" about him. bhery bhery intaresting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 18, 2006, 02:17 AM
jabbar's Avatar
jabbar jabbar is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: January 31, 2005
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone
Posts: 1,075

I suspect jalal is actually Arnab (?)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 18, 2006, 10:10 AM
SS SS is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 24, 2004
Posts: 9,599

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Wow this sheikh sadi person is famous in saint joseph !!! You poeple hear "stories" about him. bhery bhery intaresting.
Hi Mr. Shahriyar...i didn't mean to say "stories" may be events...whatever you want to say...this is not a literature class but a forum where you type and post without any formating and sentence structuring when you have limited time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 18, 2006, 11:02 AM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
I suspect jalal is actually Arnab (?)
Not really. Even if I really were that desparate, I'd probably pick a better sockpuppet name: James Bond or Clark Kent may be?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Hi Mr. Shahriyar...i didn't mean to say "stories" may be events...whatever you want to say...this is not a literature class but a forum where you type and post without any formating and sentence structuring when you have limited time.
Hey SS, my post was not meant to ridicule your post. You got it all wrong bro. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just found it funny how one person is so well known in a school that two random people in an online community know him by a specific incident!!! No offence intended for you or Mr sadi or any one else or the school. Peace. If I was ridiculing grammar then there are lots of posts made here that makes no sense in english and people might even find wrong grammar in my posts. That was not the point at all. I know the point here is to make posts and not write correct english sentences.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 18, 2006, 03:50 PM
Bancan's Avatar
Bancan Bancan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 25, 2006
Location: CANADA
Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Posts: 2,957

the funny thing is i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years but never heard anyone say Hojamal Ho.

any way any recent student know Mr. Golder or as we call him goldo.he taught me agriculture and english. worst teacher in the world. then Mahatab sir.he was always slappin kids. he was always pissed off. and always bragging how he wasa professor and travelled all around the world, sadly he passed away a year ago. my favorite teacher was mahmood sir for math and Michael sir for science.
__________________
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 18, 2006, 07:18 PM
layperson's Avatar
layperson layperson is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib
Posts: 2,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
the funny thing is i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years but never heard anyone say Hojamal Ho.

any way any recent student know Mr. Golder or as we call him goldo.he taught me agriculture and english. worst teacher in the world. then Mahatab sir.he was always slappin kids. he was always pissed off. and always bragging how he wasa professor and travelled all around the world, sadly he passed away a year ago. my favorite teacher was mahmood sir for math and Michael sir for science.
Is Mahatab sir a Chemistry teacher ? I think I went to one mahtab sir for chem for about two months during my O levels. That guy was also always angry and he was a big man. I remember him slapping two students in my batch !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old October 18, 2006, 08:24 PM
Bancan's Avatar
Bancan Bancan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 25, 2006
Location: CANADA
Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Posts: 2,957

mahtab sir was skinny, i dun know about higher grades but he taught me social studies in grade 6. he was always pissed off and always slapping ppl. he once slapped me cause i "styling" my hair. i really miss saint joseph.

at this exact momemt i m wearing a saint joseph 50 years anniversary shirt that i bought couple of years ago for 100 tk.
__________________
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old October 18, 2006, 09:07 PM
Arnab Arnab is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 20, 2002
Location: BanglaCricket.com
Posts: 6,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Hey SS, my post was not meant to ridicule your post. You got it all wrong bro. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just found it funny how one person is so well known in a school that two random people in an online community know him by a specific incident!!! No offence intended for you or Mr sadi or any one else or the school. Peace. If I was ridiculing grammar then there are lots of posts made here that makes no sense in english and people might even find wrong grammar in my posts. That was not the point at all. I know the point here is to make posts and not write correct english sentences.
He was talking about Sheikh Sadi the poet. He got you confused.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old October 19, 2006, 08:15 PM
ZunaidH ZunaidH is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: May 29, 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib
Posts: 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
the funny thing is i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years but never heard anyone say Hojamal Ho.

any way any recent student know Mr. Golder or as we call him goldo.he taught me agriculture and english. worst teacher in the world. then Mahatab sir.he was always slappin kids. he was always pissed off. and always bragging how he wasa professor and travelled all around the world, sadly he passed away a year ago. my favorite teacher was mahmood sir for math and Michael sir for science.
If you don't know Hoja you ain't no Josephite. Therefore, "Goldu re p*** diya...". Interesting how a nickname like "Goldu" has survived a generation. Sorry to hear Mahtab has passed away. Those of you that did not know the full story, he was always a recovering alcoholic, but never really recovered. Innalillah for the departed soul.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old October 19, 2006, 09:17 PM
Bancan's Avatar
Bancan Bancan is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 25, 2006
Location: CANADA
Favorite Player: Brian Lara
Posts: 2,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
If you don't know Hoja you ain't no Josephite. Therefore, "Goldu re p*** diya...". Interesting how a nickname like "Goldu" has survived a generation. Sorry to hear Mahtab has passed away. Those of you that did not know the full story, he was always a recovering alcoholic, but never really recovered. Innalillah for the departed soul.

mate i hav been in saint joseph for 3 years. i was there very recently for 1 year. i beleive the saying is not used anymore that much. cause there are things in skool everyone knows about like "aunty number 1". so i think the sayin is fading away.
__________________
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket