facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 15, 2007, 03:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up NCL Gets a Boost: the Start of Something Good, Finally !

Excerpt-

"Among the agendas, sprucing domestic cricket was on top of all discussions. It was decided that Tk 10,000 would be provided to each player for playing a four-day match and Tk 5,000 for the limited-over match in the National Cricket League, informed BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam.

All the divisional teams will be provided with coach, physio and trainer and each side will get at least three weeks of preparation time. The facilities would be high standard added the general secretary.

Around Tk 20 lakh would be the total prize money with the champions expected to get half of it."

The NCL finally gets the shine it deserves. State of the art facilities and professional coaching staff will start to imrove the quality of NCL matches over time. All they have to do now is reformat the tournament into a longer lasting one, played on a variety of sporting pitches.

IMHO, a best of 5 series for First Class matches, as opposed to the current "home and away" 2-match version, and a best of 7 List-A matches for each one of the 6 teams, as opposed to the current single match version, will finally give our players enough time in the middle to learn to harness their talent and deliver better performances at the international level. An NCL team of MLB-style trained talent scounts - i'm NOT talking about "talent hunt" or other media events here - looking for talent nationwide, will create a good pool of players for the 6 teams, and help them field a number of age-based junior teams and develop players in the pipeline.

If "club cricket" falls by the wayside because of all this, I say so be it. We want the Tigers to win more than anything else, and it is the NCL, not PLC that can take them there.

Here's the DS report: -

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/15/d70615040635.htm
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; June 15, 2007 at 07:43 AM..

Old June 15, 2007, 03:36 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Great news.
Old June 15, 2007, 04:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Great news indeed.
Now that money is being thrown...
let see how it all fairs up.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 15, 2007, 04:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

thats great.
Old June 15, 2007, 05:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Very good, cricket is a passion for Bangladesh, and now that more money has been introduced, the hesitation of being a full-time cricketer won't pull back those diffident talents we have in our country, who were sceptical about their future being a professional cricketer.
Old June 15, 2007, 05:56 AM
Club Cricketer

I just wonder, why should we continue to play with 6 divisional teams only? It should not be mandatory to keep the no of teams equal to the no of divisions. For Cricket, we can have some other divisions like Comilla out of Chittagong, Mymensing out of Dhaka and Rangpur out of Rajshahi.
Dont we have more than 70-80 good enough players to play FC matches?
Why can not we play more teams like the soccer B-league? Abahani, mohamedan, Sonargoan, Biman etc. for the NCL?
I feel that there should be a gradual process to increase the no of team.

Last edited by sheikh; June 15, 2007 at 07:37 AM..
Old June 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh
I just wonder, why should we continue to play with 6 divisional teams only? It should not be mandatory to keep the no of teams equal to the no of divisions. For Cricket, we can have some other divisions like Comilla out of Chittagong, Mymensing out of Dhaka and Rangpur out of Rajshahi.
Dont we have more than 70-80 good enough players to play FC matches?
What can not we play more teams like the soccer B-league? Abahani, mohamedan, Sonargoan, Biman etc. for the NCL?
I feel that there should be a gradual process to increase the no of team.
we only have 6 divisions dude, and please consider the infrastructure and cost issues.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 15, 2007, 07:31 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
we only have 6 divisions dude, and please consider the infrastructure and cost issues.
Yes 6 divisions. For cricket, we could have more. Like the railways or many other government offices or may be like the insurance companies or the telecom companies...they divide the regions of their own. We could divide the country in several more sections depending on the current infrastructure and facilities available.
If it is about facilities, I am not telling to go to 12 teams from six with a huge jump. Now that we have 6, lets prepare for the seventh. Mymensingh district stadium or Comilla stadium or Bbaria stadium can be easily transformed into FC standard.
I remember in some other thread you were saying...
Quote:
first of all, we need sporting wickets to develop seamers.
If you need sporting wicket, infrastructure...u need to spend for this. Is BCB poor?
Old June 15, 2007, 07:41 AM
Cricket Savant

sheikh: i agree with you for the most part. BCB is not poor but IMHO the existing funds are better spent on the 6 teams with more money playing more cricket rather than 12 teams with less money playing less. richer teams playing a best of 5 series for First Class matches, as opposed to the current "home and away" 2-match version, and a best of 7 List-A matches for each one of the 6 teams, as opposed to the current single match version, will finally give our players enough time in the middle to learn to harness their talent and deliver better performances at the international level. less teams offer less places for more players to compete for. that can and will make the league more elite, and eventually translate into better quality players if selection standards are professional, transparent and reasonable. more teams tend to dilute the talent.

also, don't want to make cricket dhaka-centric anymore as cricket has escaped the grasp of the english-medium urban elite and most of our young talent have begun to hail from outside dhaka.

here's an excerpt from my blog (http://snr1967.blogspot.com/2007/05/...ventual.html): -

"A Professional League of Our Own

The long awaited development of a better cricket infrastructure, culminating in well-compensated, well-marketed, and well-merchandized professional teams, can only enhance the quality of our domestic cricket and strengthen the overall selection process. Following the Australian, South African, English and to a lesser extent, the Sri Lankan examples, coupled with the best practices from successful professional leagues from other sports around the world, such as the English Premier League in the United Kingdom and the Major League Baseball in the United States, the BCB can set up six such professional teams, one in each divisional capital and start the processes without further ado. The teams will play both versions of the game, on a variety of sporting wickets, in separate 4-day and limited over leagues throughout the year. Each one of the six teams will have: 1) a nationwide, extensive network of trained talent scouts; 2) state of the art training facilities managed by qualified Australian coaches and physios mentoring locals with the right aptitude; and most importantly, 3) several age-based junior sides such as U-15, U-17, U-19, U-23 and A sides. Such a league will add real value our existing cricket infrastructure, accelerate the meaningful growth of cricket and cricket culture in Bangladesh, and begin to meet our more realistic expectations without selling ourselves short as cricketers and cricket fans. The unrivaled popular passion for cricket will pretty much guarantee the easy availability of corporate sponsors to cover any financial shortfalls. A separate cable TV channel, dedicating itself to the sustainable development of cricket in Bangladesh should be set up by BCB and its strategic allies as an integral part of the league to broadcast all games, and cricket-education programs from all over the cricket world. Moreover, nobody should be surprised if such an investment starts to pay faster and better dividends for all involved with cricket in Bangladesh, least of all to most of the 150 million Bangladeshis for whom the sight of quality cricketers competing to qualify for our iconic national team, a team that has come to represent more than what it simply is, will add much needed spice to the otherwise work-laden lives without much else to do. In due time, the league could qualify for an IPO and be traded in the Dhaka and Chittagong stock exchanges as a publicly held company."

Last edited by Sohel; June 15, 2007 at 07:56 AM..
Old June 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

6 divisional team is good enough if they are handled properly. Having only 6 teams in the national league ensures only the best of the best can get a chance to play and compete for their place in the divisional team. It creates the competition and pressure our domestic cricket lacks. Now, ofcourse we have more than 80 professional players in the country. What happens to the rest of the players? I propose a system where every divisional team will have their club league going on at the same time. Players who can't make it to the divisional team can play there and compete.

However, the main issue is money. When money starts to come in, only then professional cricketers will take NCL seriously. When you know, if you can perform well, there will be 4 divisions going after you with bags of money, players will give their 100 percent.
Old June 15, 2007, 07:58 AM
Club Cricketer

"cricket has escaped the grasp of the english-medium urban elite"

This is interesting!!!
Old June 15, 2007, 08:01 AM
Club Cricketer

Can the players play for their selected Division? For example, can Ash play for Rajshahi if he wants?
Old June 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Great news......money has come....now need to make it competitive....passion and competition in the NCL will raise the level
Old June 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
6 divisional team is good enough if they are handled properly. Having only 6 teams in the national league ensures only the best of the best can get a chance to play and compete for their place in the divisional team. It creates the competition and pressure our domestic cricket lacks. Now, ofcourse we have more than 80 professional players in the country. What happens to the rest of the players? I propose a system where every divisional team will have their club league going on at the same time. Players who can't make it to the divisional team can play there and compete.

However, the main issue is money. When money starts to come in, only then professional cricketers will take NCL seriously. When you know, if you can perform well, there will be 4 divisions going after you with bags of money, players will give their 100 percent.
yes, especially with 4 junior sides developing the pipeline for each team. we're talking about 125 FC and FC-type matches and 175 List-A and List-A type matches per team per year BTW with a senior and 4 junior sides in each team. a huge cost that can be easily met by BCB and its eager corporate allies for our national passion.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Can the players play for their selected Division? For example, can Ash play for Rajshahi if he wants?
No he can't. I feel like thats one of the problem we have in the national league. When a division knows a player has no option but to play for you, they can offer him less money, treat him bad. Allowing players to choose their own division will make the league more competitive and interesting.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:05 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
i don't see why not once the league becomes truly professional - although the current regionalism is pretty cool too. tough choice, but i'd opt for ash or mash switching teams once their contracts expire. good for them, good for our cricket.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:11 AM
Club Cricketer

Mashrafee got 8 lakh taka playing for Abahani this year. Now tell me whom will you give how much if your team become champion and get 10 lakh taka as prize money?
Thats why my suggestion is to make it like B-league. Open for Abahani, Mohamedan....and increase the amount of money for players. This way the NCL will become more competitive.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Mashrafee got 8 lakh taka playing for Abahani this year. Now tell me whom will you give how much if your team become champion and get 10 lakh taka as prize money?
Thats why my suggestion is to make it like B-league. Open for Abahani, Mohamedan....and increase the amount of money for players. This way the NCL will become more competitive.
Exactly. If you compare the money a player receives playing club cricket and NCL, it is not even close. Even with the boost, a player is likely to make about 1.5 lakh every year. It is simply not good enough.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
dude, BCB and its sponsors are all about USD not BDT. just one of the major sponsors, GP has more than 10 million subscibers alone. multiply that by the average usage per subscriber per day times 365. now take a small percentage of that and divide it equally amongst 6 teams. there are 20 such sponsors ready to come on board once the package is right - i'm not even talking about existing BCB funds from the ICC, tv rights, other sponsorships and financial investments. with the politicos gone for good, the money needs to be spent where it was intended to be spent.

abahoni, and my favorite mohamedan will never be able to compete with that. IMHO we need to sacrifice some of the club cricket in order to really move forward with a better system.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
Club Cricketer

SOHEL : Well this is something hypothetical . If you consider the present situation. Abahani and your fav team mohamedan are much rich. And have big heart to spend for the players.
See the calculation of Sadi...1.5 lakh taka per year.
about 12500 taka per month. One can earn more than that by begging. Just need a good position like ....SHAHABAGER MORE!
Old June 15, 2007, 08:35 AM
Cricket Savant

sheikh: the status quo is beginning to change bro, and thank God for that. with the influx black money being stifled, and the inevitable crackdown on illegal gambling, abahoni and mohamedan won't stay as rich as they have been in the recent past.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Exactly. If you compare the money a player receives playing club cricket and NCL, it is not even close. Even with the boost, a player is likely to make about 1.5 lakh every year. It is simply not good enough.
I agree. Yes BCB has opened up their wallet a bit... but still they are acting like my previous conjush Boss... its still not good enough level.

Come-on BCB ....you can do it.... throw some more money to the blood-and-soul of BD cricket future.... the blue workers.... just small sacrifice like reducing the number of executives that goes to pleasure trip in each series will make up the difference.... just do it BOSS for the sake of BD cricket's future.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
sheikh: the status quo is beginning to change bro, and thank God for that. with the influx black money being stifled, and the inevitable crackdown on illegal gambling, abahoni and mohamedan won't stay as rich as they have been in the recent past.
Shada Kalo Bujhai. Player der jonno taka aamar chai noile jomi.
Old June 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I think we can expand the NCLs by breaking the 6 teams into two conferences. North-South or East-West. That way travel is minimized. Each team can play Home and Away twice and then in the playoffs (or seeding decider) 5 game series. Also an all-star game can make the players feel better of some recongnition purpose. That almost doubles the number of games. Which can only equate to more money for the players.
Old June 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

there is no by-laws in BD that restricts the sallary of an entertainer or player. any team can choose to pay any player any amount they like. definitely it is hard for BCB to catch up with clubs. think when shakib starts playing in Northampton and few more in other county teams.