facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243
Default Overrated

I am not sure if i am posting in the right forum, if i am not my apologies, and mod kindly move it to the proper forum

---------------

after reading a lot of threads here, i have come to know height of a person is crucial for success, infact even on tv a lot of comentators talk about the height of bangladesh batsmen as they arent that tall, after further study i found out that height is over rated, infact most of the greats in cricket arent that tall at all

Bradman :- 5'7
Sunil gavaskar 5'5 (i have seen him and he is no way 5'5, if he is 5'5 i am atleast 6'3 i towered him, where as i am just barely over 6 and he barely reached my chest)
Brian Lara :- 5'8
tendulkar :- 5.05 ft (once again no way)

all height figures i got from cricinfo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:05 PM
sandpiper sandpiper is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 9, 2007
Location: USA
Favorite Player: Wasim Akram
Posts: 6,467

I never thought height is a significant factor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 5,130

Height comes into play by producing a litt bounce on the pitch, but is not needed Malinga, Fidel Edwards, Vaas are all good bowlers and can produce enough bounce, despite them being around 5' 8

He are the heights of our bowlers,

Shahadat Hossain 6' 4
Mashrafee Mortaza 6' 2
Abdur Razzak 6'
Md. Sharif 5' 6
Md. Rafique 5' 8
Syed Rasel 6' 1/2
Saqib 5' 11
Enamul Haque (not sure I think 5' 10)

So really where height has a slight advantage, most of our bowlers have that height.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
Tigers_eye's Avatar
Tigers_eye Tigers_eye is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: June 30, 2005
Location: Little Rock
Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Posts: 25,160

For the bowlers, in many cases height is an advantage. For batsman like Bradman, and Gavaskar would have a difficult time than they faced in their time. They would still dominate though. Nowadays, batsman like Haydous, Gilchrist, Symond puts fear on opponent bowling because of their size. The tree trunk like thighs and arms should be enough to push the panic button (SA, #2 team in the World, does that all the time).
__________________
The Weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the Strong." - Ghandi.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:10 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
I never thought that as a significant factor
a lot of ppl do, infact if i remember correctly another not so tall infact shorty tv commentator Sanjay Manjrekar, said exactly that "bangladesh batsmen arent that tall" when sakib got out i think against south africa
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
Height comes into play by producing a litt bounce on the pitch, but is not needed Malinga, Fidel Edwards, Vaas are all good bowlers and can produce enough bounce, despite them being around 5' 8

He are the heights of our bowlers,

Shahadat Hossain 6' 4
Mashrafee Mortaza 6' 2
Abdur Razzak 6'
Md. Sharif 5' 6
Md. Rafique 5' 8
Syed Rasel 6' 1/2
Saqib 5' 11
Enamul Haque (not sure I think 5' 10)

So really where height has a slight advantage, most of our bowlers have that height.
forgive me but i am quite certain sakib is not 5'11 infact he would be hard pressed to reach double figures after 5 feet. even tv comentators said such ..

and like you said .. there are a lot of short bowlers who are generating a lot of bounce and pace even though they are short
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 5,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysaint
a lot of ppl do, infact if i remember correctly another not so tall infact shorty tv commentator Sanjay Manjrekar, said exactly that "bangladesh batsmen arent that tall" when sakib got out i think against south africa
Sanjay is very annoying, he was making a big deal of how 'aftab is such a small man, who 5' 2 at the most', when infact he is 5' 5. And he belittles ashraful by saying 'well here is the small man'.

Sanjay would never dare say that to Tendy.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:19 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 5,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysaint
forgive me but i am quite certain sakib is not 5'11 infact he would be hard pressed to reach double figures after 5 feet. even tv comentators said such ..
Oh here we go again, Saqib is infact tall, he never stands up straight properly, trust me Ive seen him in person.

he always slouches a lot even when you're talking to him

Even when he slouched you can see that he is tall

__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:20 PM
sandpiper sandpiper is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 9, 2007
Location: USA
Favorite Player: Wasim Akram
Posts: 6,467

exactly, I got confused hearing his comment on aftabs height

in fact, I dont care about subcontinental commentators
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
Sanjay is very annoying, he was making a big deal of how 'aftab is such a small man, who 5' 2 at the most', when infact he is 5' 5. And he belittles ashraful by saying 'well here is the small man'.

Sanjay would never dare say that to Tendy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:21 PM
tiger_omar's Avatar
tiger_omar tiger_omar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 19, 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib
Posts: 2,387

For the fast bowlers the height matters quite a bit to trouble batsman with high sharp bouncers.

Even for the batsman, height helps to play those high rising deliveries as for shorter players those balls are close to their neck and they have to reach up high to play shots on those balls, while the taller players get those same balls close to their chest, which they can play more freely and belt out of the ground as shown by Hayden and co. in the world cup.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
Oh here we go again, Saqib is infact tall, he never stands up straight properly, trust me Ive seen him in person.

he always slouches a lot even when you're talking to him

Even when he slouched you can see that he is tall

dont get me wrong, i have seen dav, he is short and pudgy, sakib too, if he is 5'11 i shouldnt be able to tower him, which i easily did and i am not that tall
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:24 PM
tonoy's Avatar
tonoy tonoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 25, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 7,615

dude Saqib is fricken tall man. He is almost 6. just look at the fricken pic for christ's sake!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

What's Dav's height? Sakib is 2/3 inches taller than Dav.

And as for Sanjay and all those junk commentators go, let them make their day's bread through bs. Those people are only worth 2 cents, and that's why they're there in every match played by you know who.
__________________
cricket is a PROCESS, not an EVENT or two. -- Sohel_NR
Fans need to stop DUI (Dreaming Under Influence)!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper
exactly, I got confused hearing his comment on aftabs height

in fact, I dont care about subcontinental commentators
well shiva rama is quite good .. he is fair and often speaks positively about bangladesh. but you are right most of them are as moronic as rameez raja's hair (someone should tell that man, 80's passed us by a long time ago and its womanly to be fixated with hair)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:27 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 5,130

Now you're calling dav short? He is average height of man from a MEDC which is 5' 9
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:27 PM
tonoy's Avatar
tonoy tonoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 25, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 7,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysaint
dont get me wrong, i have seen dav, he is short and pudgy, sakib too, if he is 5'11 i shouldnt be able to tower him, which i easily did and i am not that tall
bull crap. saqib is 5 11 for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:28 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
dude Saqib is fricken tall man. He is almost 6. just look at the fricken pic for christ's sake!!!!!!!!!
pics can be decieving, i should know photography is a hobby of mine.

if u dont believe me, check south africa and bangladesh game, u will see what the comentators said about sakibs height ..

but my point is height is not a factor, great modern day bowlers arent tall, and most all time great bastmen arent tall either ..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:29 PM
tiger_omar's Avatar
tiger_omar tiger_omar is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 19, 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib
Posts: 2,387

Wow, Sakib looks pretty tall in that pic. But I wonder how tall Whatmore is so we can compare his height with Saqib.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:32 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 5,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_omar
Wow, Sakib looks pretty tall in that pic. But I wonder how tall Whatmore is so we can compare his height with Saqib.
Dav is typical 5' 9

Quote:
if u dont believe me, check south africa and bangladesh game, u will see what the comentators said about sakibs height ..
They didnt say anything about sakib's height, I watched every ball of that match
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:33 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_omar
Wow, Sakib looks pretty tall in that pic. But I wonder how tall Whatmore is so we can compare his height with Saqib.
probably 5'6 or 5'7, when i saw him, he was the same height as a cousin of mine
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
Slysaint Slysaint is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Slysaint
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
They didnt say anything about sakib's height, I watched every ball of that match
i saw the match again yesterday, hence i am 100% sure that was said
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

Tamim's 5' 11" if I'm not wrong. Sakib is similar height as Tamim.
__________________
cricket is a PROCESS, not an EVENT or two. -- Sohel_NR
Fans need to stop DUI (Dreaming Under Influence)!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
Padosan Padosan is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 26, 2005
Posts: 662

Coming to the point of discussion, height is no big deal for a batsman where as for fast bowlers, height definitely is an advantage. Well if we do take the majority case sitns(leave the exceptions), the successful fast bowlers are tall and good batsmen are not so tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Naf
Sanjay is very annoying, he was making a big deal of how 'aftab is such a small man, who 5' 2 at the most', when infact he is 5' 5. And he belittles ashraful by saying 'well here is the small man'.

Sanjay would never dare say that to Tendy.
Well Tendu is called the 'little' master, doesn't mean he is not a great master, just a 'little' master . Take things in perspective, i am sure he wasnt demeaning Ash or Aftab.

cheers !
Padosan
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
Dhakablues's Avatar
Dhakablues Dhakablues is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: December 25, 2004
Location: EverGreen State, USA
Favorite Player: Mashrafee
Posts: 4,263

Well,, Height doesnt matter much if u have the skills and Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Marshall/Ricky Pointing/ proved that already. For Saqib's height, he is much taller than what S. Manjrekar thought. He thought of Mushfiq/Tamim/Ashraful/Aftab like players and ignored the taller ones of Mashrafee/Shahadat/Rasel/Sakib/etc. Saqib is 5-10 or 5-11 ish. Just watch the WC games and you will see him when he stands against Dhoni/Other South African players.... nevertheless, thinking of him being 5'6'' makes Gagaskar 4'5''...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old July 2, 2007, 03:55 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 5,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Well,, Height doesnt matter much if u have the skills and Tendulkar/Gavaskar/Marshall/Ricky Pointing/ proved that already. For Saqib's height, he is much taller than what S. Manjrekar thought. He thought of Mushfiq/Tamim/Ashraful/Aftab like players and ignored the taller ones of Mashrafee/Shahadat/Rasel/Sakib/etc. Saqib is 5-10 or 5-11 ish. Just watch the WC games and you will see him when he stands against Dhoni/Other South African players.... nevertheless, thinking of him being 5'6'' makes Gagaskar 4'5''...
Ricky ponting is not short, he only looks short because australian cricket are all quite tall. Ricky Ponting is 5'10, which is funnily enough the same as Rahul Dravid, you'd never have guessed that huh

PS Tamim is 5ft 10-11 ish
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket