facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 30, 2007, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.
Default Breaking News: Blazing Car Rammed into Glasgow Airport

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...ert/index.html

Quote:
A burning car has been rammed into the terminal building of Glasgow Airport in Scotland, triggering a new terror scare with the UK already on alert over the discovery of two cars loaded with explosive materials in London.

Police and witnesses described an SUV-style vehicle in flames being driven at full speed towards the building.

Two people were arrested at the scene, police said in a statement. It was not immediately clear whether there were any injuries, although unconfirmed witness reports described a man on fire at the scene.
Images showed black smoke and flames rising from the vehicle just outside the building.

Witnesses said the car crashed into security barriers protecting an entrance to the airport's international arrivals terminal.
On some other news site, I read witnessed observed two "asian looking men" inside the cars.

Last edited by Electrequiem; June 30, 2007 at 12:27 PM..
Old June 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: They betrayed us

Hell yeah! I am seeing it on Sky News!
Old June 30, 2007, 12:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Hopefully these senseless events end here. There have been 2 in the past 2 days already ... hope it doesn't get any worse.

It sort of reminds me of the show "24" with Kiefer Sutherland, where there were 2-3 attacks almost everyday in LA. Anyone?
Old June 30, 2007, 12:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

" The Car was parked in front of the Tiger Tiger club "
Shhh.... Our Cricket mascot is the Crow, not the tiger
Old June 30, 2007, 01:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Rahul Dravid

copycat attacks
Old June 30, 2007, 02:28 PM

Stupid. Just plain stupid. They didnt achieve anything. Lost their lives, ruined a £30000 car, caused quite a few hundred thousand pounds in damage, and just managed to further alienate their community. Yes they spread fear among those who are peaceful and innocent, for all the wrong reasons. Now they'll make any other person's life that little bit harder. Pathetic!
Old June 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Rahul Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Stupid. Just plain stupid. They didnt achieve anything. Lost their lives, ruined a £30000 car, caused quite a few hundred thousand pounds in damage, and just managed to further alienate their community. Yes they spread fear among those who are peaceful and innocent, for all the wrong reasons. Now they'll make any other person's life that little bit harder. Pathetic!
Well said ammark.
Old June 30, 2007, 05:34 PM
Test Cricketer

And the western media have wider place for that "attack" than for another tragical raid in Afghanistan by the US air force:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6256458.stm
that is supposed to be called "strategy of tension"...

btw: who are the real terrorists?
Old June 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
£30000 car? What a waste.

Well, people who does it have long lost their love for anything material and as for the community, they are expendable for the sake of religion (according to them). As for damage, most of them don't live to pay up.
Old June 30, 2007, 08:57 PM
Club Cricketer

another attack by some brainwashed stupid people. i dont know what they are trying to prove here by just blowing up a niteclub or set the door of the airport on fire(both of em are failed miserebly nyway!). These attacks are mainly done by young pakistanis who got too much adrenaline in their body and they just dont hav the brain to think logically. What these [] dont understand is by doing these their just putting all the asian people on the line in UK that that include us bangladeshi who got no connection with these [] .

Last edited by reverse_swing; June 30, 2007 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: mod.edit
Old June 30, 2007, 10:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

They say there are "clear similarities" between this one and the car bomb thing in London.

One of the suspects arrested had bombs attached to his body? Is that what I heard? Can someone confirm please?

Pathetic taste of these attackers I must say.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6257606.stm

Quote:
The UK has been placed on its highest level of terrorism alert after an attack on Glasgow Airport was linked to two car bombs found in London.
Old July 2, 2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sourav Ganguly

one thing all this is doing...is definitely alienating the community more and more

can you imagine if those bombs actually blew up with nails and everything....as people are getting out of night clubs?? the # of ppl that would have been killed??? and the riot that would follow after that?
Old July 2, 2007, 08:25 PM
Cricket Legend

just when we thought the situation was getting better.....
Old July 2, 2007, 09:27 PM

saw it on BBC.... all the suspects are arab doctors this time
Old July 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
saw it on BBC.... all the suspects are arab doctors this time
I'm surprised, really.

With the "Doctor" part.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

this shows, economic conditions or education level (2 factors usually blamed for creating terrorists) has nothing to do with being a brainwashed fanatic. One can be a scientist and a suicide bomber at the same time.

I remember one of the top most wanted FBI list, had a pakistani lady, who had her masters from MIT in physics, I think?
Old July 2, 2007, 10:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganguly da
this shows, economic conditions or education level (2 factors usually blamed for creating terrorists) has nothing to do with being a brainwashed fanatic. One can be a scientist and a suicide bomber at the same time.

I remember one of the top most wanted FBI list, had a pakistani lady, who had her masters from MIT in physics, I think?
Maybe the list is flawed, as is the case with so many US Government "Documents." But you bring up a good point ... I hate to see these people of academia rashly throwing away their hard earned degrees.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

you have to have substantial evidence to put someone in the international terrorist alert list... one can't make up names. This list is also used by INTERPOL.

And the fact that terrorism uses technology to remain intact is further proof that several members of this organization is highly talented and educated. Both in financial aspects and logistics and technical.
Old July 2, 2007, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
you have to have substantial evidence to put someone in the international terrorist alert list... one can't make up names. This list is also used by INTERPOL.

And the fact that terrorism uses technology to remain intact is further proof that several members of this organization is highly talented and educated. Both in financial aspects and logistics and technical.
Wasn't Cat Stevens on one of those lists?

Last edited by Electrequiem; July 2, 2007 at 11:53 PM..
Old July 2, 2007, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5984673.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10725741/
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...melandsecurity

That's just the US - I am not at all sanguine that any "international" list is any better. Part of my research is in name disambiguation and "people profiling". I know how difficult the task is especially with naive name matching algorithms in use that are exemplified by the above news items.
Old July 3, 2007, 07:35 PM

The doctors/suspects were all employed under Britain's NHS... and two blokes arrested for the glasgow incident are part of the London car bomb plan.

A 2nd doctor arrested in Australia has been released without charge.
Old July 4, 2007, 10:22 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Terror plot: Why would doctors be involved?
By THOMAS WAGNER
Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) - Ayman al-Zawahri, al-Qaida's No. 2. George Habash of the PLO. Mahmoud Zahar, the Hamas strongman in Gaza. All trained as doctors - as did at least seven suspects in the failed bomb attacks in Britain.

The general public often is shocked to see that doctors - the world's healers - can become militants or even terrorist killers.

But some experts believe it is part of a socio-economic trend in which wealthy families highly educate their sons, who sometimes become radical and have the education they need to become leaders.

``People often assume that terrorists are poor, disadvantaged people who are brainwashed or need the money. But the ones who actually perpetrate violence without handlers and manipulation are highly intelligent by necessity,'' said Magnus Ranstorp, a terrorism expert at the Swedish National Defense College in Stockholm.

``It's only the smart ones who will survive security pressures in a subversive existence. Sometimes they are doctors, a profession that provides a brilliant cover and allows entry to countries like Britain,'' he said in an interview Tuesday.

At least five of the eight suspects in the failed terrorist attacks in London and Glasgow, Scotland, were identified as doctors from Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and India, while staff at a Glasgow hospital said two others were a doctor and a medical student.

``It sends rather a chill down the spine to think that people's values can be so perverted,'' said Pauline Neville-Jones, former head of the Joint Intelligence Committee, which advises the British government.

- Guardian
Old July 4, 2007, 10:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

im already scared to fly, and im a muslim! so i perfectly well understand the fears of the average non muslim...which is why even if i am racially profiled at the airport (which wouldn't work against convert muslims who have a much higher tendency to terrorism) i wouldn't mind. but i'd hate to be the victim of biggoted prejudice anywhere else...i am surprised i havent despite living in the bible belt for 15 years...
Old July 4, 2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

Update: They have recovered suicide letter in the car that slammed into the airport, one of the suspects is still alive in critical condition in hospital. It could have been a last minute change after bombs in London didn't go off, or it could be part of the whole bombing episode.

I was imagining, what kinda willpower it takes for someone to give up everything and go kill ppl of other faith and kill yourself in the process just because you think you're doing a good thing and following God's wish???
Old July 4, 2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I was imagining, what kinda willpower it takes for someone to give up everything and go kill ppl of other faith and kill yourself in the process just because you think you're doing a good thing and following God's wish???
I used to think so too. Then I realised brainwashing actually does work, and it no longer becomes an issue of just willpower but misguided beliefs. Either ways, sucks to be them to have been a product of a polarised and not a pluralist society. The socio-political and economic development in the middle east is markedly different from that in India-Sri Lanka-Maldives-Bangladesh-Malaysia which is a major reason I think that these arabs/pashtuns can cheapen their lives for some metaphysical cause.