facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: button fly, zip fly or other variants?
always zip flies 10 76.92%
love button flies 4 30.77%
i am a lungi wearer 4 30.77%
i prefer payjamas 2 15.38%
i prefer the alkhalla 2 15.38%
none of the above 2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 7, 2007, 09:25 AM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 12, 2007
Location: Yonder
Favorite Player: Me
Posts: 2,103
Default button fly or zip fly?

some years ago a good friend of mine wanted to do his undergraduate dissertation on the philosophy of button fly and zip fly. in fact, that was just the starting point as he had formed an entire thesis within his mind that would classify certain ideologies based on the cut of trousers, the position of pockets and the nature of flies.

i don't wish to go into such intricacies. just a simple question, do you have a preference for the zip fly over the botton fly? or perhaps if you prefer the lungi or maybe a panjabi..
__________________
'immerse your soul in love' - thom yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 7, 2007, 11:01 AM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,455

Too many choice ... to little time to talk.... but this is my kind of thread.

It all depends...


- I like "zip flies" but you have to be careful when zipping in, specially dont rush otherwise ouch... at a pain. Plus if Zipper fails... you are in all sort of trouble.

- Button is good. But it takes more time if you are in a hurry. Plus if one of them falls due to poor attachment or thread ... pluss there is anothr problem, if the buttuns are too far, and when you sit... you worry someone can poke through the gaps....

- Lungi is great in hot summer bangladesh. But don't trun the fan on while sleeping, or atleast lock your door... at the minimum wear something unerneath...

- Payjamas are great. Only if you wear Punjabi. But if the cloth is not good thick enough and not loose enough, it can tear-off in the wrong place at the wrong time.

- But where is the the dhuti in the list or even boxer?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 7, 2007, 11:15 AM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 12, 2007
Location: Yonder
Favorite Player: Me
Posts: 2,103

well, i thought dhuti would be covered in the option for lungi or none of the above. as for boxers, well, they are really undergarments!

my pet hate with button fly is that sometimes they get so threadbare that the buttons would just get undone after awhile. so embarassing!
__________________
'immerse your soul in love' - thom yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

I'm not a lungi wearer, but I would love to be one. Like our Moulana Bhashani.

I once got into trouble for wearing lungi. And the reason is the very reason Fazal mamu mentioned...I guess all lungi-wearers get that once in their lifetime
__________________
cricket is a PROCESS, not an EVENT or two. -- Sohel_NR
Fans need to stop DUI (Dreaming Under Influence)!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 7, 2007, 12:23 PM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 12, 2007
Location: Yonder
Favorite Player: Me
Posts: 2,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I'm not a lungi wearer, but I would love to be one. Like our Moulana Bhashani.

I once got into trouble for wearing lungi. And the reason is the very reason Fazal mamu mentioned...I guess all lungi-wearers get that once in their lifetime
all my life my father would only wear european outfits outside of the house. however, upon entering the house he would only wear lungi and sando genji. even when abroad and staying in hotels, he would insist on wearing lungi and genji whilst relaxing. i tried lungi for a month when i was 12 and gave it up instantly!
__________________
'immerse your soul in love' - thom yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 7, 2007, 12:43 PM
abdulw11's Avatar
abdulw11 abdulw11 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2005
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 1,382

I wore a lungi once, great ventilation, it must be said
__________________
BanglaFootballTV - Watch Bangladesh football videos and match highlights
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 12, 2007
Location: Yonder
Favorite Player: Me
Posts: 2,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulw11
I wore a lungi once, great ventilation, it must be said
it doesn't work so well in a windy city.

wouldn't it be funny if out cricketers went out to bat wearing a check patterned lungi above the pads? it would confuse the bowlers much!
__________________
'immerse your soul in love' - thom yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
Kabir's Avatar
Kabir Kabir is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: September 3, 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Posts: 11,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
it doesn't work so well in a windy city.
I disagree. Lungis in a windy city are less problematic than short skirts in a windy city. When there's not much of a problem with short skirts in a windy city, then I see no problem with lungis.

On a different note, I find it amazing how rickshaw walas in bangladesh wear lungis.
__________________
cricket is a PROCESS, not an EVENT or two. -- Sohel_NR
Fans need to stop DUI (Dreaming Under Influence)!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 7, 2007, 01:55 PM
abdulw11's Avatar
abdulw11 abdulw11 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: December 27, 2005
Location: London, UK
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 1,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
it doesn't work so well in a windy city.
It depends. Very rarely, if ever, does a wind blow upwards, therefore it won't be a problem. Because of their length.

If there is a heavy wind (blowing horizontally), then the only problem is the revealing of the shape...
__________________
BanglaFootballTV - Watch Bangladesh football videos and match highlights
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 7, 2007, 02:09 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
it doesn't work so well in a windy city.
If there is a will there ia way.

You can either put a gittu (knot) at the buttom, or you rap it up the way they do before playing Kabadi in the village or you hold it carefully like this gentleman... (but don't pull it too up... it will defeat the purpose of wearing the lungi in the first place)

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 7, 2007, 07:58 PM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 12, 2007
Location: Yonder
Favorite Player: Me
Posts: 2,103

would someone please explain the difference in style between a bangladeshi lungi and an indian dhuti?
__________________
'immerse your soul in love' - thom yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 7, 2007, 08:03 PM
MohammedC MohammedC is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
 
Join Date: April 15, 2007
Location: Manchester,UK
Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Posts: 22,424

I vote for all
__________________
I love Bangladesh cricket and that's why I found BanglaCricket.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
Puck's Avatar
Puck Puck is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 12, 2007
Location: Yonder
Favorite Player: Me
Posts: 2,103

i had personally voted for the top two.
__________________
'immerse your soul in love' - thom yorke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 8, 2007, 03:09 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
would someone please explain the difference in style between a bangladeshi lungi and an indian dhuti?
.......
------ Dhuti ------------------------Lungi --------
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 8, 2007, 03:51 PM
Sohel's Avatar
Sohel Sohel is offline
Cricket Savant
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Location: The BIG D
Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman
Posts: 33,777

Button, dhora kheye shekha ... ouch !!!
__________________
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
Nocturnal's Avatar
Nocturnal Nocturnal is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: June 18, 2005
Location: AB,Canada
Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi
Posts: 8,972

voted for: always zip flies
__________________
ভাই, ল্যাঞ্জা যখন বাইর হইয়াই গেছে, একটু নাড়ান না
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket