facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 23, 2015, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn
Default Boycott is not impressed!

Quote:
Bangladesh need to beat big teams abroad - Boycott
Former England captain Geoffrey Boycott believes Bangladesh's impressive series win over India is not enough "to send waves through the cricket world" since it has come in home conditions. Boycott reckons Bangladesh, who had never beaten India in a series earlier and currently lead 2-0, need to win matches abroad, especially Tests against teams like Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and England.

"They're not quite minnows anymore, they've had one or two good performances but I think we are getting carried away a little bit," Boycott told ESPNcricinfo's Bowl at Boycs. "Beating India occasionally, and Pakistan or Sri Lanka, doesn't send waves through the cricket world. Sorry, I don't want to put a damper on your excitement for Bangladesh but nearly all Bangladesh's good performances are at home. That doesn't make the world of cricket sit up until you go to Australia or South Africa or New Zealand, and beat them in their countries…that will be a huge step and we will all take notice."

Bangladesh have now won 10 ODIs on the trot at home, including series wins against Zimbabwe (5-0) and Pakistan (3-0) before hosting India. During the World Cup they qualified for the quarter-final for the first time by knocking England out with a 15-run win. They had finished fourth in Group A with three wins out of six and one match, against Australia, washed out.

"I accept that one of their very best performances was beating England in Adelaide in the World Cup," Boycott said. "I was there, Bangladesh were superb, I enjoyed their cricket and it's the best I've seen from them. But Bangladesh can't live on just an occasional or odd one-day performance win. They need to go abroad and start winning Test matches against the big boys. As I said, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, England have all got much better Test sides in them in their countries. You've got to go and do that a bit."

Boycott emphasised that the one big advantage Bangladesh have is the hefty ICC funding they have been receiving, that other teams did not when they started out, and the television revenues they earn from the broadcasters. The Bangladesh Cricket Board sold its worldwide media rights to Gazi TV last year for US $20.02 million for a period of six years, and recently sold the team sponsorship rights to Top of Mind, a media planning company, for over $385,000.

"Cricket lovers want Bangladesh to succeed, no doubt about that, but you've got to accept that lots and lots of ICC money has been poured into Bangladesh cricket for many years now," Boycott said. "And quite honestly, we, the cricketing nations of the world, need to see more from them. Bangladesh have a huge cricket-mad population and I realise it takes time to be able to match the big countries. It's always happened like that - it took time for West Indies, New Zealand, Pakistan after partition, even India were not able to match England or Australia on equal terms in the early days. Now they are.

"But none of these countries received a financial help or clout that Bangladesh have had over the years. They've had loads of money. These countries had to make a lot on their own, there wasn't money around, there wasn't television revenue for ICC, or whoever run world cricket, to pour in to India, Pakistan, New Zealand, West Indies when they were in their infancy.

"And Sri Lanka, let me tell you. I've forgotten them but I shouldn't because they've been wonderful…they've won a World Cup. I want them (Bangladesh) to enjoy their success but I don't think you need to get carried away, you need to keep it in perspective because more is required. An occasional one-day is lovely but we need more."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...ry/890551.html
Old June 23, 2015, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Always sees the glass half full. He does not recognize the success but instead lamenting on ICC's investment on us. He is a sore loser and always will be.
Old June 23, 2015, 01:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bhaat

Grandmother of TUK TUK talks....
Old June 23, 2015, 01:58 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old June 23, 2015, 01:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Hambaaaa. Move on...
Old June 23, 2015, 01:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sabbir R.

I think he should go and Boycott himself.
Old June 23, 2015, 02:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Mushy, Tamim, Abul

This moron at it again.... I bet his grandma could score faster than him....
Old June 23, 2015, 02:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Uni ekjon murubbi manush
onake shomman korey kotha bolen apnara.
tacharao bola jay na kokhon ki hoy, eto boyosh hoisey, onar rekhey jawa legacy'r dayitto amader i nitey hobey.
ami itimoddhei khara...thukku daraya porsi dayitto nitey.
abar legacy bolay bhabbenna onar grandma er kotha bolchi.
Old June 23, 2015, 02:13 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Uni ekjon murubbi manush
onake shomman korey kotha bolen apnara.
tacharao bola jay na kokhon ki hoy, eto boyosh hoisey, onar rekhey jawa legacy'r dayitto amader i nitey hobey.
ami itimoddhei khara...thukku daraya porsi dayitto nitey.
abar legacy bolay bhabbenna onar grandma er kotha bolchi.
kuno lav nai ai tel diye..apnare son in law banabena
Old June 23, 2015, 02:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful & Tamim Iqbal

beta foul boycott....u should understand series win against india is not easy....espacially they owned icc, umpaires, media, no drs, no mamasita....so yes, bd has became the v here....u can sit and watch old man...how bd is going to knock out sa, and ausi soon.....
Old June 23, 2015, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Shak, Enam, Riyad

lmao... notice how he leaves out England in the list of team Bangladesh has it beat away. what a moron really!

According to his logic, New Zealand is no better than use as they failed to beat us away from their home for the longest time! Come beat us at home first than we will "sit up"
Old June 23, 2015, 02:55 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: De Villiers,Shakib,Tamim

Lets not think too much about this post. Lets just boycott Mr. Boycott.
Old June 23, 2015, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Boycott being Boycott
Old June 23, 2015, 04:01 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I think Boycott has a point. Our home win is not gonna send waves across the cricket world, but an away series win against the top 5 will.

I won't trash his words, still miles to go before we establish ourselves as a major force in world cricket. We are on the right path and will be there in due course.
Old June 23, 2015, 04:25 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Nasir pretty much said the same thing this morning/last night. No one is claiming us to be a dominant side. People are upset with Boycott not because what he said is untrue but he's just brushing off all the work we have done (not that we were waiting for his praise. I can guarantee you that he didn't even bother looking at the stats before opening his mouth. He thinks beating the Elites of Subcon conditions in Subcon is no biggie when Aus, SA have struggled for years.

People will always rain on your parade. We just have to keep moving forward.
Old June 23, 2015, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Boycotter choddo gushti...
Old June 23, 2015, 04:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

We did beat England in NZ or England don't get counted as a big team ?
Old June 23, 2015, 04:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-Sagar
We did beat England in NZ or England don't get counted as a big team ?
I think it's the latter
Old June 23, 2015, 04:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
I think Boycott has a point. Our home win is not gonna send waves across the cricket world, but an away series win against the top 5 will.

I won't trash his words, still miles to go before we establish ourselves as a major force in world cricket. We are on the right path and will be there in due course.
Nothing happens overnight. And you can't skip first step to go to the second. It's the glass half full vs half empty case - depends on the way you look at it.

World champion Aussies lost in India 0-4 in Tests. They could't win a single ODI in 2013 Champions Trophy. Does that mean they were a bad team?

If Bangladesh has to look at a next step, I would say that should be reaching Semis or beyond in a World level tournament. A couple of month back I would have said it is the World cup, but now I can add Champions Trophy too. See, that's progress ...
Old June 23, 2015, 05:13 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz

+1

Winning ODIs regularly at home is a big deal to us (Bangladesh fans). But why would we expect everyone to be a fan, or see things from our perspective?

I feel importance of away performance is over-emphasized. I'd consider home-track bully 90's India to be a major force in world cricket of that time. IMO, we need to start winning tests regularly against Top 8 sides (even if that's at home) to legitimately claim ourselves as a major force in world cricket. Apart from the couple of test wins against depleted West Indies side years ago, we still don't have a single test win against the top 8 teams (home or away).

Boycott's money related arguments are totally nonsense though, completely undeserving of any attention.
Old June 23, 2015, 05:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Being able to win at home consistently is a big step, he doesn't have to be impressed but other teams sure should take notice because if they don't and they continue to send weakened team to Bangladesh then they'll quickly find out the hard way that it's no longer a good idea.
Old June 23, 2015, 05:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

To win in England, Australia, New Zealand or SA you first need to be invited to play there...
Old June 23, 2015, 05:38 PM
BC Staff
BC Bangladesh

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricbook
beta foul boycott....u should understand series win against india is not easy....espacially they owned icc, umpaires, media, no drs, no mamasita....so yes, bd has became the v here....u can sit and watch old man...how bd is going to knock out sa, and ausi soon.....
badhay rakhar moto akta post!
Old June 23, 2015, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricbook
LOL no mamasita
Old June 23, 2015, 06:08 PM
Banned

Yall need to read better. His premise is: we need to

A) test win
B) overseas
C) top 5

To meet those 3 categories, we are indeed the farthest off.

Eita, now... U can mince and wiggle all you want, its the truth you all admit in BC urself.

A)our test team is.... Brown waste substance
B) selection is shody, pipeline is thin
C) best hope to go for draw.. Always.

In that respect, yes, he is a old school guy with old world views:

A) tests r what matters
B) bd have not shown much promise in tests
C) even positive spin in tests is few n far between