facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 6, 2007, 02:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman
Talking The Uganda Match: A One-sided Post Mortem

The Uganda match was yet another reminder that possibly underestimating opponents like Uganda, like Ireland and Canada before them, always generate unnecessary drama, while giving our beloved Tigers yet more opportunities to learn. Whether or not they actually learn something from the experience is a different story altogether, and an entirely different fish to fry. Ebarer moto dhaura na khawar eyakmatro karongulo hochhe (with polite looseness: what saved our collective behind this time): Mashrafe Bin Murtaza’s bat, Abdur Razzak and Syed Rasel’s bowling and bizarrely enough, Farhad Reza's tighter bowling and good fielding.

Lets look at elements of our so called batting against the mighty Dee Lash Kin ob Ishkotlend (“The Last King of Scotland”, cheesy reference to Idi Amin, Uganda et al). They blew a perfectly decent start and played a dangerous game of look-Ma-I-can-rotate-the-strike for too long, before Mashrafe Bin Murtaza came to rescue our collective Ijjot (honor). Let's look at the ways they got out-

Quote:
1. Nazimuddin c Olwenyi b Isaneez 16 (13b 2x4 1x6) SR: 123.07

Isaneez to Nazimuddin, OUT, bowled up to him again and he decides to go high and across to long on and Olwenyi takes a good catch over his head and he had to judge that well just 15centimetres from the boundary rope.

Nazimuddin seems blameless here, looks like an extraordinary catch off a good hit from a batman playing his natural game.

2. Tamim Iqbal lbw b Isaneez 27 (21b 5x4 0x6) SR: 128.57

Isaneez to Tamim Iqbal, OUT, that hit straight and low and out, he missed the line of the ball completely.

Typically Tamim-like misjudgment after a good start for a change. Clearly his fault from where I'm sitting. Those 27 runs should not be enough to get him off the hook. He was facing Ugandan seamers, NOT N'tini or Powell.

And now let's move on to our talent-packed AAA Battery (Ashraful, Aftab and Alok), IMHO, the key to our success in all forms of cricket ...

3. Mohammad Ashraful run out 13 (23b 0x4 0x6) SR: 56.52

Simply unacceptable !

4. Aftab Ahmed c Kamyuka b Olwenyi 23 (22b 2x4 0x6) SR: 104.54

Olwenyi to Aftab Ahmed, OUT, caught by Kamyuka at long off boundary trying to clear the boundary and well judged again just inches off the boundary rope.

Looks like another good catch off a good hit. That said, we'll never know how necessary that lofted hit was without actually watching the match, but in the 15th over of a T20 match, the batsman should get the benefit of my doubts and he does. Aftab gets off the hook.

5. Alok Kapali c Sematimba b Olwenyi 12 (14b 0x4 0x6) SR: 85.71

Olwenyi to Alok Kapali, OUT, caught at long on trying to up the run rate.

Alok gets off the hook. It was the 17th over of the match and he took the chances he had to.
Conclusion? Tamim Iqbal and Mohammad Ashraful did their team and themselves no favors, and the untimely strike rotation through singles brought about a dangerously low run rate which created the type of Ajaira (pointless) pressure that took us to the brink of revisiting the Celto-Canadian nightmare of recent times. Thank Allah almighty that Mashrafe didn't let that happen.

After that less than below par batting demonstration, it was up to the bowlers to deliver the goods, and led by the RaRa (Rasel and Razzak) tandem innovatively utilized by our young captain from the opening overs,they did. Here are the bowling and fielding figures-

Quote:
Bowling O M R W Econ

Syed Rasel 4 0 19 2 4.75
Abdur Razzak 4 1 19 2 4.75

Mashrafe Mortaza 4 0 29 2 7.25 (1w)
Farhad Reza 4 0 26 0 6.50 (1w)
Mohammad Ashraful 4 0 27 2 6.75 (2w)

Fielding and Bowling as Related to Wickets

RG Mukasa c Farhad Reza b Syed Rasel
AS Kyobe run out (Farhad Reza)
L Sematimba st Mushfiqur Rahim b Syed Rasel
J Olwenyi c Farhad Reza b Mohammad Ashraful
N Patel c Nadif Chowdhury b Mohammad Ashraful
K Kamyuka c Mohammad Ashraful b Mashrafe Mortaza
JI Kibukamusoke b Mashrafe Mortaza 0 1 0 0 0.00
E Isaneez b Abdur Razzak
DK Arinaitwe b Abdur Razzak

Link:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/keny...ch/306990.html
T20 cricket is even more batting-friendly than ODIs, and "containment" bowling and tight fielding are the keys to success with the ball. Wickets matter as always, but forcing a low run rate for the opposition matters more. For example, what would you rather deal with at the end?

1) A manageable opposition total of 100 runs for no loss with a run rate of 5 runs per over?

Or

2) An opposition total of 200 runs for 10 with a run rate of 10 per over?

Under most circumstances, the latter would seem to be the obvious choice.

The RaRa tandem opened the bowling and kept the Ugandans on a tight leash. With increasingly more customary early breakthroughs from the intelligent Rasel, and their remarkable T20 economies under 5, they created the pressure Ashraful, Mashrafe and later Razzak himself benefited from. One would expect our other three bowlers to have economy rates of under 6 against a team like Uganda, but considering their previous rates against albeit stronger opposition, economy rates ranging from 6.5 to 7.25 aren't disastrous. That said, they were bowling at Uganda and those numbers are hardly reassuring and not the least bit comforting.

Fielding-wise, it was great to see Mushfiqur Rahim continue the good work behind the stumps and stump men out, and Farhad Reza, notorious in my book for dropping sitters at slip and cover, catching the dangerous Mukasa and Olwenyi out before getting Kyobe with a direct hit. Kudos to a comparatively less talented player applying himself to the best of his limited abilities. The more talented ones need to take a page or two from his book. Kudos to Uganda for the right attitude and thus deserving the USD 1000 from our two MOMs in this preparatory tournament.

All in all, a dodgy win at best, but a win we can and must learn a lot from.

PS: A shout out to Miraz for the bulletin with regards to the match in question. This post was originally written for his thread before I changed my mind in an attempt to provoke a similar, but somewhat different discussion ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 7, 2007 at 08:18 AM..
Old September 6, 2007, 03:47 AM
Cricket Legend

An excellent analysis of what we have learned from this match. It doesn't seem like much, but as long as we've (hopefully) learned not to underestimate our opponents, the better our chances of avoiding a horrific upset.

Though I must admit, I don't agree with the Farhad comment. I seriously think he is to Bangladesh what Dilshan is to Sri lanka. He can hit big when needed and can bowl pretty quick considering his height, though he does lack swing and control at times. Anyway I'm not a huge fan of him either, but I just don't quite agree with him being labelled as "less talented".

One more thing - Sohel Bhai.....take a break man! Far out! You need to steer clear of the computer for a few days. Haha jokes pal.....another great analysis once more. Kudos to you.

- Benjamin Franklin
Old September 6, 2007, 03:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks C_K for the kind words ... unfortunately, my laptop goes wherever I do, as does this excellent Grameen mobile Internet connnection ...
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 6, 2007 at 03:58 AM..
Old September 6, 2007, 04:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Good analysis Sohel NR bhai, another nice read
Old September 6, 2007, 04:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Shakib

niceeeeeeeee analysis!!!!!!
Old September 6, 2007, 05:32 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nasir / Mominul / Gazi

good read
Old September 6, 2007, 06:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Very good analysis and great reading. I just saw on TV the match between Canada and Bangladesh in ICC World Cup in 2003, and could not believe my eyes that Bangladesh was so badly beaten by a team like Canada.
Also, the way they were beaten by Ireland in 2007, they should have really won that game after beating India and south Africa. Bangladesh seem to underestimate weaker teams than themselves and get beaten. They were nearly beaten by Uganda, if it was not for Mash's effort.
Hopefully Ashraful can learn from this experience, also I hope he does not get run out again, this is something new, I havent seen any run outs for him. He tends to be very reckless.
Old September 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

that was the worst win by a bangladeshi team yet (probably ever past, present, and future).
I drop knowledge so heavy it leaves the world unbalanced, exterminating the spiritual force of all that challenge, I'm the lyrical apocalypse that crumbles the granite, replacing you as the dominant species on the planet.
Old September 6, 2007, 09:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zainab
Very good analysis and great reading. I just saw on TV the match between Canada and Bangladesh in ICC World Cup in 2003, and could not believe my eyes that Bangladesh was so badly beaten by a team like Canada.
Also, the way they were beaten by Ireland in 2007, they should have really won that game after beating India and south Africa. Bangladesh seem to underestimate weaker teams than themselves and get beaten. They were nearly beaten by Uganda, if it was not for Mash's effort.
Hopefully Ashraful can learn from this experience, also I hope he does not get run out again, this is something new, I havent seen any run outs for him. He tends to be very reckless.
Hello Zainab,
You are not doing a favor by watching matches that depresses BD people. Watch the match at Cardiff, or against Ind, SA at WI. Relive the good moments, be happy and smile. That smile is a charity. Ramadan is coming.

Good analysis Sohel Bhai. We lost the tournament when we lost to Pakistan. the boys were down. So the below par performance. A letdown but the bottom line is we won, the openers are getting some runs. All good signs. WI'er kopaley kharapi asey.
Old September 6, 2007, 09:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

wow pretty good analysis tao aber khela na dekhey...

When i was reading it the first thing came to me is that when a Bangladeshi will own Cricinfo we will see these kind of report on BD games... until then its all India

Anyway good Job as usual Shohel N_R bhai...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Old September 6, 2007, 09:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I've decided to do such post-mortems after every BD game from now on.
Old September 6, 2007, 09:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Thanks everyone for the kind words, I've decided to do such post-mortems after every BD game from now on.
make sure its one sided like this one for our pleasure...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Old September 6, 2007, 09:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
make sure its one sided like this one for our pleasure...
Always bro ... I don't really give a rat's @$$ about the other team when it comes to our boys ... character flaw ...
Old September 6, 2007, 09:45 AM
Cricket Legend

great analysis but its a bit length though,yes i couldnt read the whole artcle because it will take alot of pateince which i really dont have lol, man i wish i had patience but its so hard,my mum always says that i am too chotpot i always break some things in my house but not on purpose but by mistake lol i play cricket somet,mes in my house and my mum becomes angry at me for breaking her antiques but i just dont know why that happens lol.
Old September 6, 2007, 09:47 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
great analysis but its a bit length though,yes i couldnt read the whole artcle because it will take alot of pateince which i really dont have lol, man i wish i had patience but its so hard,my mum always says that i am too chotpot i always break some things in my house but not on purpose but by mistake lol i play cricket somet,mes in my house and my mum becomes angry at me for breaking her antiques but i just dont know why that happens lol.
LOVE that puctuation D ... WTG bro, proud of you ...
Old September 6, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
LOVE that puctuation D ... WTG bro, proud of you ...
hahahahaha thanks lol but i had a bit of mistake over that "i somet,mes play cricket in my house"lol.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
hahahahaha thanks lol but i had a bit of mistake over that "i somet,mes play cricket in my house"lol.
Making mistakes is not a crime bro, but not learning from them often prove to be ... someday soon my young Padoan learner, you shall be the greatest Jedi of us all.
Old September 6, 2007, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Hello Zainab,
You are not doing a favor by watching matches that depresses BD people. Watch the match at Cardiff, or against Ind, SA at WI. Relive the good moments, be happy and smile. That smile is a charity. Ramadan is coming.

Good analysis Sohel Bhai. We lost the tournament when we lost to Pakistan. the boys were down. So the below par performance. A letdown but the bottom line is we won, the openers are getting some runs. All good signs. WI'er kopaley kharapi asey.
Hey Tigers eye,

I have watched that brilliant win against Australia many times. I have the DVD and i wish at all times that Bangladesh can have a win like that against a strong team like australia. that was a classic, with Ash making a brilliant century. I was in Guyana to see them win against south africa, I could not believe my eyes, also their win against India was brilliant. I always pray to Allah that they win, I get so disheartened when they lose, and I have come to the conclusion that Allah does not listen to my prayers.
By the way- Mubarak Ramadan!
Old September 6, 2007, 11:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
and i have decided to read every Sohel post on BC from quite a while back.
I drop knowledge so heavy it leaves the world unbalanced, exterminating the spiritual force of all that challenge, I'm the lyrical apocalypse that crumbles the granite, replacing you as the dominant species on the planet.
Old September 6, 2007, 11:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
That'd be a nice thing for this forum Sohel bhai...a straightforward bare-bone analysis without hyperboles...I can smell a competition here ...well what they say, more competitions produce a better product?
Old September 6, 2007, 11:45 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
and i have decided to read every Sohel post on BC from quite a while back.
Too little too late. I don't think you have that much of time in-hand. Are you skipping school this semister?
Old September 6, 2007, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Too little too late. I don't think you have that much of time in-hand. Are you skipping school this semister?
Old September 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim. Nasir & Shakib
Default so, what would you guys do if we lost to uganda?

just imagine if we lost to uganda... would you go fagol sagol? or just brush it off with ease? for me, to be honest... i will go fagol sagol...
Old September 6, 2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Tamim needs to learn how to rotate strike, its very important all kind of cricket.
Old September 6, 2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Gilly Klusener Bulbul

some 1 should email it 2 them