facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old November 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default All That is Linux

We don't have any dedicated linux thread on FC. So here it is. Share your experiences with using Linux, or share your criticism of Linux and why you love it or hate it.

There is always new stuff coming of linux world which sometimes doesn't have too much of publicity. If you have found something new share that as well.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Old November 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

I hate to admit it, but I really don't know much about Linux. Being in IT and not knowing about Linux is a crime, I know that.

I always wanted to use a Linux OS, but the sheer complexity of choosing the right OS, and having to install the thing myself turns me off. Anyone who can help me with it, please do.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Currently I am using Ubuntu and CentOS. Ubuntu is gradually turning out to be a real windows killer. Although there are serveral things that they will have to streamline before it can be a real mass alternative. With release cycle of every 6 months, Ubuntu is moving on real fast.

I am using the latest 7.1, released last month. They have sorted the biggest issue in this update, WPA and Roaming Wifi. All my laptops run Ubuntu 7.1 (dell and compaq); works great (its dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu).

My desktop runs CentOS 5, with ofcourse dual booting XP. Mostly use for development purposes.

Today just found out about new distribution called gOS (as in Google OS, or GreenOS however you want to call it), based of Ubuntu. The desktop is sold at Walmart $199.
Quote:

gOS Products

Experience gOS on different products!
gPC
$199
Buy it at select Walmart stores and Walmart.com
gOS Operating System
VIA C7-D 1.5GHZ Processor
512MB RAM, 80GB HD, CDRW/DVD

Experience our first consumer product. We encourage consumers and developers to enjoy our first experiment into a mainstream retail product.

Its an all in one solution for general users, with DVD, mp3, web browsing, office apps ect. Sounds promosing.
http://www.thinkgos.com/index.html
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Kabir bhai, why don't you just log in to a remote server?
Old November 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

I've had my issues with Ubuntu installations, but have been using it for a while now and have grown to like it.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I hate to admit it, but I really don't know much about Linux. Being in IT and not knowing about Linux is a crime, I know that.

I always wanted to use a Linux OS, but the sheer complexity of choosing the right OS, and having to install the thing myself turns me off. Anyone who can help me with it, please do.
Kabir, those days of "complexity" is long gone. Just download the ISO image, burn on CD, pop it in our desktop, laptop and see Linux run; without writing a single byte on your harddrive.

This is called Live environment. Which means you can do a full trial without really installing anything on hard drive.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

It can't be any easier than that
Old November 13, 2007, 11:47 AM
Cricket Legend

oh Ubuntu..... a proud user here.....

I also have windows, but Ubuntu will seriously be a Windows-killer (if not already)...

for a regular computer user, who browses the internet, watches movies, works with documents files & presentations and many more, I really dont see why he needs to get a 500 dollar vista with 300 dollar office 2007....

Last edited by ialbd; November 13, 2007 at 11:54 AM..
Old November 13, 2007, 11:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Kabir bhai, why don't you just log in to a remote server?
Any suggestions about the server?
Old November 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Kabir, those days of "complexity" is long gone. Just download the ISO image, burn on CD, pop it in our desktop, laptop and see Linux run; without writing a single byte on your harddrive.

This is called Live environment. Which means you can do a full trial without really installing anything on hard drive.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

It can't be any easier than that
You're right. My main fear is the "complexity".

This is a great suggestion...I didn't know that this is possible for Linux. I'll definitely give it a shot this weekend.

The screen capture looks incredibly sexy.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You won't get the real feel of Ubuntu running from shell, or even on VNC remote desktop. It will be more hassle. You need to pop-in that live cd Ubuntu 7.1
Old November 13, 2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The screen capture looks incredibly sexy.
That one is a different distribution, a child of Ubuntu.

If your PC has nVidia or ATI graphics card, then just pop in the Ubuntu 7.1 live cd and start drolling on the eye candy that will follow.
Old November 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Well you can ssh into one of the U Toronto linux servers. Not the real experience, but shouldn't matter if you're looking to do some development work.
Old November 13, 2007, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
with 300 dollar office 2007....
And that's where Open Office comes in. I've officially boycotted MS Office on my personal computer, since I don't really use Outlook at home.
Old November 13, 2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
And that's where Open Office comes in. I've officially boycotted MS Office on my personal computer, since I don't really use Outlook at home.
The day Linux comes up with Exchange server clone or similar groupware app; no one will use Office anymore. The Outlook and Exhange server is what keeping Office alive.

Final blow will be when we will be able to run ASP.net on Apache server, that will just kill Windows Server!

There is already lot of development on opensource .Net framework, called Mono.
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
Old November 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

My assembled PC (built from scratch with components ordered from tigerdirect, newegg, ebay, buy.com etc) has 1070GB (1.07 Terra Bytes - 750GB + 320 GB) of HDD, 1 GB RAM, and Dual boot comprising Ubuntu 7.10 and XP professional (grub loader).

I also have ubuntu 7.10 installed on a 1GB USB drive and acts as an OS loader directly from USB (very handy if your laptop has XP and you want to run Linux for a short while).
Old November 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

I thought you can already run ASP.NET on an Apache server? For example, take a look at the following:

http://weblogs.asp.net/israelio/arch...11/424852.aspx
Old November 13, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

All the posters above are IT people. I am the one non-IT professional using and love Linux. I am using Suse 10.2 in both Laptop and desktop and have dual boot with XP.
Old November 13, 2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I thought you can already run ASP.NET on an Apache server? For example, take a look at the following:

http://weblogs.asp.net/israelio/arch...11/424852.aspx
This is running ASP.NET in a Windows server. I was talking about running ASP.NET in native Linux with Apache. It can done partially, but Mono is not complete yet AFAIK, i.e it doesn't have full .Net framework 2.0 mapped yet. When thats done, you won't need Windows for your .net apps. That is the ultimate killer.

Here is an example of running ASP.net in native Linux with Mono.
http://www.codeproject.com/cpnet/introtomono2.asp
Old November 13, 2007, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Final blow will be when we will be able to run ASP.net on Apache server, that will just kill Windows Server!

There is already lot of development on opensource .Net framework, called Mono.
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
woah.... how is this possible (I mean opensource .Net framework development). Is'nt MS gonna whoop there a** with lawsuits? I mean .Net is the trump card that MS has left (they are even convincing high schools/univs to change their intro level programming courses from Java to C#/VB.net etc) ..... and they'll just let it go opensource that easy?? I am confused....

But I have to give one thing to MS, its them against the rest of the world.... and they are keeping up to the challenge... laudable...

and Asp.net compatibility on Apache server..... I think this is in the same list as 'daridro mukto Bangladesh'.....

Last edited by ialbd; November 13, 2007 at 12:46 PM..
Old November 13, 2007, 12:40 PM
ODI Cricketer

I could never make the Bangla interface to work on Linux. (Last time I tried was about 3 years ago). How much things have changed since then?
Old November 13, 2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
woah.... how is this possible (I mean opensource .Net framework development). Is'nt MS gonna whoop there a** with lawsuits? I mean .Net is the trump card that MS has left (they are even convincing high schools/univs to change their intro level programming courses from Java to C#/VB.net etc) ..... and they'll just let it go opensource that easy?? I am confused....

But I have to give one thing to MS, its them against the rest in the world.... and they are keeping up to the challenge... laudable...

and Asp.net compatibility on Apache server..... I think this is in the same list as 'daridro mukto Bangladesh'.....
Mono project isn't stealing anything. They have written every class, methods, interfaces all by themselves. They are just following IL structure to be compatible with .net.

Here is some copy paste from Mono FAQ page.
http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_General
Quote:
Can Mono run binaries produced by Visual Studio?

Yes, Mono can run binaries produced by Visual Studio, there is no need to recompile.
Use our Mono Migration Analysis tool to check if everything that your application uses has been implemented in Mono or if there are special considerations to keep in mind.
The Mono API today is somewhere in between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0, see our Roadmap for details about what is implemented.
What is Mono™ exactly?

The Mono Project is an open development initiative sponsored by Novell to develop an open source, UNIX version of the Microsoft .NET development platform. Its objective is to enable UNIX developers to build and deploy cross-platform .NET Applications. The project implements various technologies developed by Microsoft that have now been submitted to the ECMA for standardization.
The Mono Project has also sparked a lot of interest in developing C#-based components, libraries and frameworks. The most important ones, some of which were developed by the Mono team, are:
  • Gtk# (http://gtk-sharp.sf.net): Bindings for the popular Gtk+ GUI toolkit for UNIX and Windows systems. Other bindings are available: Diacanvas-Sharp and MrProject.
  • Mono.Directory.LDAP / Novell.Directory.LDAP: LDAP access for .NET apps.
  • Mono.Data: We ship support for PostgreSQL, MySQL, Firebird, Sybase ASE, IBM DB2, SQLite, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and ODBC data sources.
  • Mono.Posix / Mono.UNIX: Bindings for building POSIX applications using C#.
  • Mono.Remoting.Channels.Unix: Unix socket based remoting
  • Mono.Security: Enhanced security and crypto framework
  • Mono.Math: BigInteger and Prime number generation
  • Mono.Http: Support for creating custom, embedded HTTP servers and common HTTP handlers for your applications.
  • Mono.XML: Extended support for XML
  • Managed.Windows.Forms (aka System.Windows.Forms): A complete and cross platform, System.Drawing based Winforms implementation.
For a more complete list, see the Libraries and Software pages.
What is the difference between Mono and the .NET Initiative?

The ".NET Initiative" is a somewhat nebulous company-wide effort by Microsoft, one part of which is a cross-platform development framework. Mono is an implementation of the development framework, but not an implementation of anything else related to the .NET Initiative, such as Passport or software-as-a-service.
What technologies are included in Mono?

Mono contains a number of components useful for building new software:
  • A Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) virtual machine that contains a class loader, Just-in-time compiler, and a garbage collecting runtime.
  • A class library that can work with any language which works on the CLR. Both .NET compatible class libraries as well as Mono-provided class libraries are included.
  • A compiler for the C# language. In the future we might work on other compilers that target the Common Language Runtime.
Windows has compilers that target the virtual machine from a number of languages: (http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/thirdp...fault.asp#lang) Managed C++, Java Script, Eiffel, Component Pascal, APL, Cobol, Perl, Python, Scheme, Smalltalk, Standard ML, Haskell, Mercury and Oberon.
The CLR and the Common Type System (CTS) enables applications and libraries to be written in a collection of different languages that target the byte code This means for example that if you define a class to do algebraic manipulation in C#, that class can be reused from any other language that supports the CLI. You could create a class in C#, subclass it in C++ and instantiate it in an Eiffel program. A single object system, threading system, class libraries, and garbage collection system can be shared across all these languages.
Will you implement the .NET Framework SDK class libraries?

Yes, we will be implementing the APIs of the .NET Framework SDK class libraries.
What does the name "Mono" mean?

Mono is the word for 'monkey' in Spanish. We like monkeys.
Does Mono work today?

Yes, Mono is used in many commercial and open source applications and is used by many companies.
The execution engine works on many platforms (See the detailed list) and the scope of Mono is quite comprehensive. Detailed plans are available in our Plans page.

What companies are using Mono?

You can see a list of some Companies Using Mono page.
A number of commercial software products are listed here.
When will you ship Mono?

Please see the Mono Roadmap for more details on the release plans.

Mono and Microsoft

Is Microsoft helping Novell with this project?

There is no high level communication between Novell and Microsoft at this point, but engineers who work on .NET or the ECMA groups have been very friendly, and very nice to answer our questions, or clarify part of the specification for us. Microsoft is interested in other implementations of .NET and are willing to help make the ECMA spec more accurate for this purpose. Novell participates in the ECMA committee meetings for C# and the CLI.
Are Microsoft or Corel paying Novell to do this?

No.
Do you fear that Microsoft will change the spec and render Mono useless?

No. Microsoft proved with the CLI and the C# language that it was possible to create a powerful foundation for many languages to inter-operate. We will always have that.
Even if changes happened in the platform which were undocumented, the existing platform would a value on its own.
Are you writing Mono from the ECMA specs?

Yes, we are writing them from the ECMA specs and the published materials in print about .NET.
If my applications use Mono, will I have to pay a service fee?

No. Mono is not related to Microsoft's initiative of software-as-a-service.
Is the Mono Project related to the Microsoft Hailstorm effort? Is Novell endorsing Hailstorm?

No. The Mono Project is focused on providing a compatible set of tools for the Microsoft .NET development platform. It does not address, require, or otherwise endorse the MS Passport-based Hailstorm single sign-on system that is part of Windows XP and other services.
Will Mono or .NET applications depend on Microsoft Passport?

No. MS Passport is unrelated to running .NET compatible applications produced with the Mono tools. The only thing you will need is a just-in-time compiler (JIT).
If Microsoft will release a port of their .NET platform under the 'Shared Source' license, why should I bother with anything else?

The Shared Source implementation will be expensive and its uses will be tightly restricted, especially for commercial use. We are working towards an implementation that will grant a number of important rights to recipients: use for any purpose, redistribution, modification, and redistribution of modifications. This is what we call Free Software (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html)
Old November 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai
I could never make the Bangla interface to work on Linux. (Last time I tried was about 3 years ago). How much things have changed since then?
Most of distros already have Bangla, you will have to either install Banlga package or just manually install fonts. FireFox works fine with Bangla. Ubuntu has all the Banlga typing interface available. You can switch between them easily from the taskbar.
Old November 13, 2007, 01:09 PM

Time to poop the party. The best resource for linux programs is the internet, and here in Bangladesh for us home users the net SUCKs. I had ubuntu installed but not once has it been able to complete a software update because of what the net is.

Essentially until the Proshashonik and Amlatantrik Jotilotas disappear from the face of the earth (thus freeing up the connectivity of Bangladesh to the world), Mac or Ubuntu wont be able to make it big against a Pirated Windows and Windows Software market.

I miss my Feisty Fawn
Old November 13, 2007, 02:31 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

my problem with complete transition to linux world is the "running windows application" on it. I know about Wine and also some emulators. But was never fully impressed. I have a dual core processor and im thinking of switching today. Could anyone recommend me some windows running application alternatives.

thanks.
Old November 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Thanks Nasif bhai for enligtening..... I am totally bookmarking mono-project.com...