facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 21, 2015, 10:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Default In Britain, Bangladeshis have overtaken Pakistanis (Economist)

Breaking out
In Britain, Bangladeshis have overtaken Pakistanis. Credit the poor job market when they arrived and the magical effect of London

Quote:
MOST parts of Britain are doing better than Bradford, a smokestack town in West Yorkshire that has struggled since the collapse of the wool industry. But one comparison stings. Fatima Patel, the editor of Asian Sunday, a local newspaper, says Bradford’s leaders look ruefully at Tower Hamlets, a poor borough of London 200 miles to the south. And that comparison has an ethnic tinge, because Bradford is heavily Pakistani, whereas Tower Hamlets is the heart of Bangladeshi Britain
More - http://www.economist.com/news/britai...n-they-arrived

----

Good job guys!! Keep up the good work in Britain. By the way Nadim looking good in suits
Old February 22, 2015, 04:44 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

You cant compare London with Bradford. Tower Hamlet is only couple of miles away from financial hub of UK.
Old February 22, 2015, 08:29 AM
Cricket Guru

Both communities along with Somalis are still at the very bottom of the socioeconomic ladder unfortunately.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Ei article re kichui buzlam na....

I want to see comparison with Indian and Chinese population as I feel like their education value is similar to ours..

Talking from experience , Bengali parents will earn the shitie** amount yet still hire a tutor for their kid.... Their whole motto is that of sacrificial ...

I think because of this mentality we do well... Also given many Bengalis came later the select pool are from more families that value education more...

I know is I am 1000% better than how my parents were and it all happened because of their support...
Old February 22, 2015, 09:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Above pic is however looks like restaurant money dad earned and kid wasting :p
Old February 22, 2015, 12:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Probably rent korse man chobi tular jonno.
Old February 22, 2015, 12:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

British-Bangladeshis are still socially backwards and clings to strict outdated traditonal values.

They will never progress if they stay like that.
Old February 22, 2015, 12:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
The hijabi barbie is also on point.
Old February 22, 2015, 02:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Ami ki dush korlam Mufi miah? LOL
Old February 22, 2015, 02:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

The Economist is a BS magazine. They are just playing one disadvantaged community against the other. Typical BS politics.

A sports car in the council estate. Great social mobility there.
Old February 22, 2015, 03:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
British-Bangladeshis are still socially backwards and clings to strict outdated traditonal values.

They will never progress if they stay like that.
it will take time, esp social changes takes a generation or two..but overall we are more progressive than pakistanis socially. from the article --

Quote:
Cultural conservatism, which has deepened among many British Pakistanis, makes things worse. Cousin marriage is more common among Pakistanis than among Bangladeshis, as is the bringing over of partners from the subcontinent, argues Parveen Akhtar, a sociologist at the University of Bradford. Nuzhat Ali, a campaigner in the city, reckons such marriages are actually more common among recent Pakistani migrants than among their grandparents. The practice means that more Pakistanis in a city like Bradford are first-generation migrants than might be expected by now. It might also mean that young men are less driven to succeed—the desire to find a marriage partner being an unstated reason for going to university among people of all races.
Old February 22, 2015, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

I wonder what the US situation will look like. It's still too early because bengali mass migration happened in US around the 90s, about a decade or two later than UK. But early signs are good. Bengali parents are extremely serious about their kids' education.
Old February 26, 2015, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Breaking out
In Britain, Bangladeshis have overtaken Pakistanis. Credit the poor job market when they arrived and the magical effect of London

More - http://www.economist.com/news/britai...n-they-arrived

----

Good job guys!! Keep up the good work in Britain. By the way Nadim looking good in suits
Quite funny what the pic portrays. At the first glance it looks like a young kid (with questionable fashion sense) owns a Ferrari while living in Council flats

However I think this pic. might have been from an earlier article where they were showing how Tower Hamlet Bangladeshi rent out expensive cars for parties.
Old February 27, 2015, 02:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
it will take time, esp social changes takes a generation or two..but overall we are more progressive than pakistanis socially. from the article --
Sylhetis are not a whole more "progressive" as whole than Pakistanis from what I can gather. Big difference in the British-Sylheti diaspora and the Bangladeshi diasporas in the rest of the world. May be the toxic levels of Islamophobia/xenophobia in the UK/EU that might explain it.
Old February 27, 2015, 03:54 PM
Banned

And, someone's come round and deleted my post.
Did you think I made up what I said? It's all facts.

I want an explanation as to why I have not been allowed to quote facts?
Old February 27, 2015, 05:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Sylhetis are not a whole more "progressive" as whole than Pakistanis from what I can gather. Big difference in the British-Sylheti diaspora and the Bangladeshi diasporas in the rest of the world. May be the toxic levels of Islamophobia/xenophobia in the UK/EU that might explain it.
agh furqaan you don't wanna go there. Ajfar or MoC bhai will come and say Furqaan talk nah
Old February 27, 2015, 07:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
agh furqaan you don't wanna go there. Ajfar or MoC bhai will come and say Furqaan talk nah
Hahaha...I'm Sylheti myself, hence why I can say that so brazenly. If a Bengali says that, we can accuse him of bias.
Old February 28, 2015, 06:18 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

পাকিস্তানিদের থেকে ভালো কিছু করতেছে নাকি শুধু ব্রিটেনের জনসংখ্যা বৃদ্ধি করতেছে
Old March 1, 2015, 07:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vua
And, someone's come round and deleted my post.
Did you think I made up what I said? It's all facts.

I want an explanation as to why I have not been allowed to quote facts?
Feel free to pm it to me.
Old March 2, 2015, 03:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Hahaha...I'm Sylheti myself, hence why I can say that so brazenly. If a Bengali says that, we can accuse him of bias.
Aren't Sylhetis Bengalis too? Districts across Bangladesh including Comilla, Noakhali, Habiganj, Moulvibazar etc have different dialects/ linguistic differences but I thought that they all fall under the greater Bengali umbrella. The only exclusions are the tribal people in Chittagong hill tracts or Garos in Mymensingh.

Either way it doesn't really matter,people are all the same at the end of day, just curious....
Old March 12, 2015, 06:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Mushy, Tamim, Abul

Get in' there!
Old March 13, 2015, 08:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
Aren't Sylhetis Bengalis too? Districts across Bangladesh including Comilla, Noakhali, Habiganj, Moulvibazar etc have different dialects/ linguistic differences but I thought that they all fall under the greater Bengali umbrella. The only exclusions are the tribal people in Chittagong hill tracts or Garos in Mymensingh.
Either way it doesn't really matter,people are all the same at the end of day, just curious....
Of course Bengalis are Sylhetis! Theyre a distinct group, like chatgaiyas and dhakayas.
Old March 13, 2015, 09:56 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Of course Bengalis are Sylhetis!
Right...all Bangalis are Sylhetis.
Old March 26, 2015, 01:44 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82

Speaking as a non-scholar, yes and no. Others are free to voice their opinions on the matter, but as a Sylheti I think I'm somewhat qualified.

Sylheti is closer to being a separate language than just merely a dialect. I think most of the dialects are largely mutually intelligible, but Sylheti is not, at least for most non-Sylhetis.

Sylheti also had its own seperate alphabet/script which is of course no longer used. Doesn't apply to Comilla, Noakhali, Rangpur, etc dialects to my knowledge.

Further, Sylhet was never originally a part of Bengal proper. It was, as I have been told, part of Assam. Similarly Chittagong was part of Burma and not Bengal proper.

Sylheti is far more different to Bengali than Urdu is to Hindi, and those are totally different languages despite being pretty much the same (colloquially at least).

Sylheti and Bengali are about as different as Punjabi and Urdu again different languages.

However, I do think Sylhetis and probably Chittagongians fall under a "greater Bengali" umbrella.
Old March 26, 2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Speaking as a non-scholar, yes and no. Others are free to voice their opinions on the matter, but as a Sylheti I think I'm somewhat qualified.

Sylheti is closer to being a separate language than just merely a dialect. I think most of the dialects are largely mutually intelligible, but Sylheti is not, at least for most non-Sylhetis.

Sylheti also had its own seperate alphabet/script which is of course no longer used. Doesn't apply to Comilla, Noakhali, Rangpur, etc dialects to my knowledge.

Further, Sylhet was never originally a part of Bengal proper. It was, as I have been told, part of Assam. Similarly Chittagong was part of Burma and not Bengal proper.

Sylheti is far more different to Bengali than Urdu is to Hindi, and those are totally different languages despite being pretty much the same (colloquially at least).

Sylheti and Bengali are about as different as Punjabi and Urdu again different languages.

However, I do think Sylhetis and probably Chittagongians fall under a "greater Bengali" umbrella.
These distinctions along "ethnic" lines are all constructed. Linguistically the Sylheti your Nani-Bari speaks is more Bengali than it is Assamese. And Assamese can be more Bengali than it is Sylheti. So go figure. Same with Chatgaiya, and Noakhailya: they are dialects of Bangla .

Sylheti irredentism has more of its roots in the Sylheti-British diaspora's imaginations than among most Sylhetis who grew up Through their first 18 years in Sylhet.